Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 357: Adam Growe Returns

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 357In this 357th episode, Mike catches up with Adam Growe before they kick out the jams. This episode is exactly 1:53:34.

Become a Patron

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Adam Growe and Me

Toronto Mike'd is proudly brought to you by Great Lakes Brewery, Property in the 6ix, Paytm Canada and Sensus Design & Build.

glb   propertyinthesix   paytm   Sensus Design and Build

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike (Re: recent tweet)
Blue Suede is how the once great U.K. band is best described once/after their founding
guitarist Bernard Butler left after their second album "Dog Man Star!!"

July 17, 2018 @ 4:56 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
"Bad Reputation" was featured in Shrek but it was performed by a hard rock combo
called Halfcocked(!!) FYI: "Light of Day" was titled after its theme song written by Bruce
Springsteen, who borrowed its original title "Born In The USA" for his landmark album
several years before.

July 17, 2018 @ 5:51 PM

bsmntdwllr73

I stand corrected (Thanks, Wiki!!). J. Jett was indeed heard in that film but not on the
actual soundtrack. Not that its placement did that long-forgotten/never-known band
any favours!

July 17, 2018 @ 5:54 PM

As a guy who has seen / heard Shrek 1000 times now, Joan Jett's Bad Reputation is definitely there!

And Michael J Fox was so hot when Day For Night came out!

And until today I had never heard anyone say "Blue Swede" and always read it as "Blue Suede", which is kind of weird.

July 17, 2018 @ 6:46 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Now you're confusing your secret hetero love for prime MJ Fox with your known-worldwide
Tragically Hip fandom!! Light Of Day vs. Day For Night!!!

July 17, 2018 @ 6:52 PM

Charles

Mike, you joked that everybody is at a cottage right now, and it seems to me that all podcasts are on vacation. So thanks for some new content!

July 17, 2018 @ 7:01 PM

@Charles

Two more coming this week, including an epic deep dive with John Donabie.

@bsmntdwllr73

Doh! Light of Day!

July 17, 2018 @ 7:21 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
And don't forget that great Francois Truffaut film "Day For Night" from 1973!!
Pretty sure that is one of the sources The Hip used to title that particular album.

July 17, 2018 @ 7:28 PM

markosaar

Oh bike chat.

Even when I used to bike regularly with earbuds ... I've never owned this supposed magical pair that blocks out all ambient noise. I would love to wear headphones while biking, but feel the stigma is so strong, I don't wear them when on roads. I just have them dangling through my helmet straps, ready, so when I get on Martin Goodman I'll put them in.

I'm all for wearing a helmet while cycling, but hate when people act like cyclists are utterly reckless for not wearing them. Repeated studies have shown that cyclists in accidents/collisions aren't perishing from head injuries at a higher rate than drivers or pedestrians. They could be used to argue that car-occupants and pedestrians should wear helmets as well.

Again because of stigma, I don't really practice the Idaho Stop. There would have to be literally NO ONE around for me to pass through a red or roll a stop sign. I try to display habits that don't give people the excuse to bitch about "all cyclists", though I'm starting to feel I'm irrational about it. Confirmation bias is at play.

July 17, 2018 @ 7:49 PM

@markosaar

I let Adam go with his helmet rank, but I believe it's a personal choice for an adult. I choose to wear one every time I ride my bike, but I don't judge others for not wearing one. Not at all.

I've had a few falls in winter or wet days where the side of my helmet slammed against concrete, and I often wonder what would have happened without the helmet.

As for headphones, I wear these and they let in all the ambient noise and I feel no stigma for wearing them. And I've worn them for every ride these past few years. I love them!

July 18, 2018 @ 8:00 AM

markosaar

Ah cool. For cycling I like the Aftershokz ones, which use bone-conduction instead of going into your ears ... just waiting for a sale.

July 18, 2018 @ 9:44 AM