Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 355: Robbie J Returns

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 355In this 355th episode, Mike chats with Rob Johnston about his friend Martin Streek who passed away on this date nine years ago. Then, they kick out the jams in his honour. This episode is exactly 2:08:23.

Become a Patron

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Rob Johnston and Me

Toronto Mike'd is proudly brought to you by Great Lakes Brewery, Property in the 6ix, Paytm Canada and Sensus Design & Build.

glb   propertyinthesix   paytm   Sensus Design and Build

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

Charles

Wonderful hearing Martin's voice again.

July 7, 2018 @ 9:12 AM

markosaar

The most random reference to come up so far is Jean-Marie Heimrath ... I remember him chaperoning a camp trip. He was so kind to talk to me when I was a radio-obsessed 13 year old about the industry and the kind of work he did.

July 7, 2018 @ 10:15 AM

bsmntdwllr73

Still listening to this one, but totally concur with Mike about "Rattle and Hum" being a go-to
U2 album listen. Great sound to both the studio and live tracks, plus has my fave song by
them on it" "All I Want Is You." The U2 track featured in this episode was a phenomenal live
version of a great track, and one of the highlights of the soundtrack to that same-named
Wim Wenders film from 1991.

July 7, 2018 @ 2:42 PM

bsmntdwllr73

A fitting tribute to Martn Streek in both the conversation and a lot of the music featured.
Very fitting that this episode was recorded on the anniversary of his passing. Always
loved listening to the Thursday Thirty and writing down my own list of the songs featured.
The last two Jams Kicked can't be featured enough as far as I'm concerned!! Also, nice
shout-out to Hunters and Collectors, as they were a vastly underrated group. You
can't beat the combination of a kick-ass rock band emboldened by a tight horn section.

@Mike, P.S., those earlier Midnight Oil videos were heavily featured on MuchMusic, for
those of us who were early subscribers!!

July 7, 2018 @ 3:25 PM

@bsmntdwllr73

My first memories of Midnight Oil are Beds are Burning and The Dead Heart. Both from Diesel and Dust in '87.

July 7, 2018 @ 3:41 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
That probably rings true for at least 80% of folks in these here parts!! Music Express
Magazine were big boosters of Midnight Oil so that also had a lot to do with my earlier
knowledge of that band's existence! Free with purchase back in the day at A and A records!!

July 7, 2018 @ 4:07 PM

Urooj Islam

Why doesn't he post here anymore?

July 7, 2018 @ 6:22 PM

Urooj Islam

@Toronto Mike

Rob J, he used to post here a ton.

July 7, 2018 @ 7:27 PM

@Urooj Islam

Oh yeah, Rob J posted all the time. Tweeted at me a lot, too. He loved the podcast, and even loved the 10 episodes of Your Blog Sucks I did with Elvis!

But that was a different Rob J. Why he left, I do not know. He was super active and then he just disappeared. I just hope he didn't die!

July 7, 2018 @ 7:55 PM

@Urooj

I just remembered that the other Rob J was a big Marty York fan, and just loved mixing it up with people on Twitter who would call out Marty on his clear bias. At some point I think he grew tired of the digital warfare and went off the grid.

July 7, 2018 @ 10:50 PM