John Tavares is a Toronto Maple Leaf

My Toronto Maple Leafs have just signed their biggest free agent, ever. John Tavares is coming home, signing a seven year $77-million deal.

I was on a bike ride with my youngest when I got a phone call from my oldest. "Dad, guess what happened?" I knew from the tone of his voice that #91 was a Leaf. It's all we've talked about all weekend.

Tavares is 27 and has 621 points in 669 career NHL games. He and Auston Matthews up the middle gives us Penguinian strength at centre and is an enormous upgrade over the departing Tyler Bozak. This is exciting!

collingwood dave

"FUCK YOU TAVARES CANADA IS SO FUCKING GAY" I Actually saw that on a US based sports website.

July 1, 2018 @ 2:13 PM

Brother Ryan

WOW!!! What a great day to be a Leaf Fan. We will have one of the best one two punches in the game.'

Who is joining me for the parade next year?

July 1, 2018 @ 7:19 PM

dale

2-3 days I predicted Tavares would sign with the Leafs.
With him & Marleau in "the room" the leadership will be awesome, especially for the younger players.
Dubas hit a walk off home run today with this signing.
Lou must be shakin' in his boots.

July 1, 2018 @ 8:34 PM

Tim

Mikey,

Not bad eh? Maybe we catch a game together this year and watch Johnny T?

Tim

July 2, 2018 @ 9:08 AM

Blind Dave

@dale

You said in the Open Mike Tavares would be a Leaf and I disagreed.

I give credit where credit is due. Well done, sir!

July 2, 2018 @ 11:51 AM

Anonymous

Can he play defence?

July 2, 2018 @ 12:03 PM

Blind Dave

@Anon

I've heard he is weak defensively. Leafs need a major upgrade there too if they want to go deep in the playoffs.

July 2, 2018 @ 6:02 PM

We'll just win games 6-4. That'll be fun!

July 2, 2018 @ 6:09 PM

James Edgar

The defense is certainly an issue and needs to be addressed but i'm not sure what they can do at this point having committed so much to JT. And having other commitments coming up fast in the future.

6-4 would be great and they could totally kick ass in the regular season doing that. In the grind of the playoffs though they are going to need some sort of non porous back end though.

I will say this signing will have me watching a lot more leafs this season.

July 3, 2018 @ 9:27 AM

bsmntdwllr73

A little bit confused: You mean this thread isn't a dedicated home page to that great 1970s R&B
group Tavares from the 1970s? Ya know, those funky fellas who sang such hits as "It Only Takes
a Minute", "More Than a Woman" and "Heaven Must Be Missing An Angel?" If not, well, my very
belated congratulations to all those who are excited and happy about this Canadian Day miracle!!

July 3, 2018 @ 9:50 AM

@bsmntdwllr73

I totally missed the Tavares era.

July 3, 2018 @ 10:00 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
The track above was featured in the first Charlie Angels flick, highlight of that middling waste
of celluloid, if you ask me!! But surely you remember their cover of that Bee Gees track from
the strip club scene in Saturday Night Fever?!?

July 3, 2018 @ 10:04 AM

@bsmntdwllr73

A couple of shockers for ya.

1. I only watched the first Charlie's Angels once, but I remember not hating it!

2. I've only seen Saturday Night Fever once.

July 3, 2018 @ 10:25 AM

bsmntdwllr73

Again, an apology for my previous comment, as that Tavares track "More Than a Woman" wasn't
featured in a strip club scene, but during a dance studio sequence in the middle of Saturday Night Fever. Forgive me my less than one track mind on this particular steamy Tuesday?!?

July 3, 2018 @ 10:27 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
#1. The first Charlie's Angels movie was the better of the two. And all 3 of those Angels were
definitely more attractive than original Chuck's Angel Kate Jackson. I guess there were different
beauty standards in the mid to late 1970s! Typed by a dude who combines the pure, unbridled,
swarthy carnality of Shrek and the physical attractiveness of Sloth from the Goonies, but with the
beloved tender girth of Chunk from that same film!!!

#2. John Travolta was my childhood hero, so after the mega-success of Grease, a recut version
of Saturday Night Fever was released and I first saw this version before I reached the age of six.
Even did my Elaine Benes-esque version of JT's dance moves at my cousin's wedding in the
Summer of '79. Haven't been able to see or touch my toes since!

July 3, 2018 @ 11:05 AM

Matt

Everyone should heaf over to the players tribune and read Bozaks goodbye to Toronto. Pumped about Tavares but Bozak was a leaf through some rough times.

July 3, 2018 @ 5:33 PM

Urooj Islam

Oh no!

The Leafs traded Matt Martin, that was Dart Guy's best friend on the team!

Bad omen!

July 3, 2018 @ 6:00 PM

Beatts

Matt's too slow and rarely played the last two months of the season. It was coming.

July 4, 2018 @ 7:55 AM

Matt's a salary dump, all the way.

The "Lou's a sleeper agent" conspiracy theories amuse me, because it could be true! Except it's far more likely Lou's setting up the Islanders for a serious tank.

Still, the optics are that Kyle is eating Lou's lunch.

July 4, 2018 @ 8:39 AM

James Edgar

I didn't mind the charlies angels flick. Don't recall seeing a number 2 and definitely didn't know there was a Number 3!

I have never seen Saturday Night fever. And don't expect too.

When i was in HS in the late 70's we had a bit of a divide between the rockers and the "Disco's" at my school. Seems quite stupid now but we didn't mix much. And i still have very little love for Disco and it's derivatives.

back on topic sort of I'm with Mike. I think Lou is going to tank the Islanders and and go into total rebuild in the run up to them getting a new building.

July 4, 2018 @ 8:47 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@James Edgar
FYI: Only two Charlie's Angels flick so far. The next one will probably take place in a retirement
home and involve the disappearance of some dentures and/or a walker!!!

July 4, 2018 @ 9:14 AM

H.o.E.

Never seen the movies and probably never will, and the only non-comedy TV series I ever really watched was the original Star Trek (in re-runs, the original run was before my time). I had to do an image search to remember their names. I noticed Kate Jackson in the photo looks a little underfed, when I finally stopped looking at Jaclyn Smith.
Link

"Penguinian strength" ?
Pen-goo-ins is prack-a-tilly chickens.
YouTube Link

July 4, 2018 @ 12:45 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@H.o.E.
In my opinion, Cheryl Ladd was the hottest of all Chuck's Angels with that gal who
later played Sheena (Tanya Roberts) coming in a less-than-close second. Jaclyn
Smith is/was very attractive but far too regal-looking for my more voluptuous skewed tastes!!

July 4, 2018 @ 12:50 PM

Urooj Islam

The Islanders only made the playoffs 3 times in 10 years WITH John Tavares so I'm not sure how much worse they'd look if they were intentionally tanking after losing him, which I don't think they're doing.

I think this situation is a win for everyone across the board, the Leafs get Tavares and the Islanders finally get a competent front office in Lou and Barry Trotz, Sure, it sucks for the Islanders to lose Tavares for nothing in the short term, but in hockey, a team's success isn't tied to one player so I don't think they'll be as bad as people think. Plus a team in their situation shouldn't be committing so much of their cap to one player anyway so Tavares saved them from themselves in a way.

July 4, 2018 @ 1:32 PM