2018 Buick Enclave Avenir AWD

I recently upgraded from my 1999 Mazda Protege to a 2018 Buick Enclave Avenir for a couple of weeks. Unlike my Protege, the Enclave actually fits my entire family of six. Even with us all buckled up, there's plenty of room.

20180705_161031

That's the biggest difference. The Buick Enclave Avenir is super roomy. I thought of removing the seats, building a podcast studio and bringing my services on the road. Instead, we planned a couple of road trips and puttered around town.

20180705_161047

How roomy was it? I was able to drive three of my kids with room for my bike in the back.

2018-07-06_05-04-34

There were some safety features with this Buick that blew my mind. There's this bird-eye camera view they call "surround vision" that's just magic.

Buick

I also like the dashboard displaying the speed limit of the road I'm on. There were times driving back from Cambridge I was sure the limit was 100 but saw on the dashboard it was actually 80. I'm sure that saved me a ticket or two.

Buick

When the Buick left me for Oshawa, and I drove my Protege again, I felt like I was sitting on the road. You get used to the height of an SUV, and you get used to the powerful 3.6 L DI V6. Not to mention the infotainment system, Bluetooth streaming, touchscreen navigation, 4G LTE Wi-Fi, etc....

Rick C in Oakville

I haven't seen this model before, Buick is an understated model from GM, Chevy seems to be the favourite child.

July 11, 2018 @ 4:36 AM

Jody Thornton

Why is it when I read these types of blogs, I can hear Krusty the Klown talking about the Canyonero? LOL (just kidding Mike)

Although I am looking for an older vehicle. If you were to do it over again Mike, I'd take it you'd advise buying a later-year Mazda Protege? I tend to like 2000s-era vehicles (I hate new vehicles with high belt-lines and raised back windows). I was also looking at Nissan Sentras between 2004 to 2006.

July 11, 2018 @ 8:46 AM

@Jody Thornton

I suppose I should mention that GM didn't give me a penny. :)

July 11, 2018 @ 8:55 AM

James Edgar

We have a Kia Rondo and a Mazda 3 and like you when I switch between them I feel so LOW in the Mazda. I still like the Mazda better in a few ways but that vantage higher point in the Rondo is nice.

The rental car i had in France last year had the infotainment system and speed limit notifications etc. those are nice features I didn't have the camera though.

As far as it goes my GPS's all show most roads speed limits these days. Now that there's a built in GPS in a lot of cars porting it to dash board is easy. It makes me wonder how long Garmin etc. will be around if we all end up with built in navigation . Of course that goes for anything tech these days so probably a silly thing to wonder about.

July 11, 2018 @ 8:55 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
But where's the tape deck?!? Not even a CD player? Things sure ain't like they used to be!!!

July 11, 2018 @ 9:38 AM

FW

Nice car. I wish they sold the TourX in Canada.

July 11, 2018 @ 3:39 PM

Douglas

As you are a Mazda guy/family, you should talk Mazda into letting you try out their new CX-9. I don't have a Mazda to drive, but I did purchase a used Mazda3 for each of my sons to go to college. Mazdas are excellent "first" cars, as they communicate what is going on with the car and road very well, something that all drivers should learn about and how to interpret to be better drivers.

July 12, 2018 @ 1:48 PM

@Douglas

The last car I bought, way back in the 90s, was a Mazda.

July 12, 2018 @ 4:03 PM