Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 342: Cover Jams

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 342In this 342nd episode, Mike catches up with Elvis before they kick out their favourite cover jams. This episode is exactly 1:54:28.

Become a Patron

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Elvis and me

Toronto Mike'd is proudly brought to you by Great Lakes Brewery, Property in the 6ix, Paytm Canada and Camp Tournesol.

glb   propertyinthesix   paytm   paytm

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

Beatts

What's the record for continuous amount of dudes with Salt and pepper hair doing the show ?

We must be at 7 or 8 now ?

June 1, 2018 @ 11:53 AM

bsmntdwllr73

Sure do wish that I could grow an impressive beard like that, but sadly, I'm still waiting for
the onset of puberty to kick in at the tender age of 45!!! P.S., miss seeing that proud
KOTJ flag flying high in the episode's banner! Also, congrats on Camp Tournesol sticking
around for a while longer. Can't beat that Nana Mouskouri magic!! P.P.S., didn't even
realize 'bout the temporary retirement of that MC5 "MOFO" audio tag!!!

June 1, 2018 @ 12:01 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Mike Bullard's latest bail poster is his older half brother Chuck Jackson, the singer for the legendary
Downchild Blues Band.

June 1, 2018 @ 12:19 PM

@Beatts

You have to go back to Teri Hart to break that streak... although LeDrew is sort of hairless.

June 1, 2018 @ 12:44 PM

Urooj Islam

The homeless man/depression beard is back!

June 1, 2018 @ 1:23 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Urooj Islam
If being depressed or a few steps away from being homeless are the root causes for growing
a bushy beard, then I should definitely have one growing down to my 'nads by now!!!

June 1, 2018 @ 1:30 PM

Toddalio

Haven't listened to this episode yet. How about covers that are arguably better than the original? I'll start with two:

Joe Cocker - With A Little Help From My Friends (The Beatles)
The Headstones - Tweeter And The Monkey Man (Traveling Wilburys)

June 1, 2018 @ 3:29 PM

elvis

@Urooj - this version of the beard will be groomed.

June 1, 2018 @ 5:08 PM

elvis

Also, for those of you keeping score (Steve), I cry again in this episode.

June 1, 2018 @ 5:15 PM

Blind Dave

Did a beard in 1999 or 2000. Lasted a few months...

Any (C)rap in the jam selection? If not, I will listen.

June 1, 2018 @ 10:23 PM

dale

Great episode.
My fave cover song is by Joe Cocker - With A Little Help From My Friends (Beatles).
Surprised Elvis didn't select My Way by Elvis from Frankie.

June 2, 2018 @ 12:39 AM

elvis

@dale - that's a great tune but figured it was even more cliche than my actual picks.

June 2, 2018 @ 9:59 AM

@Blind Dave

Rap doesn't really cover songs. They sample songs, and pay homage to other rap songs with a lyric or verse, but they don't "cover".

But... rap has been covered well by rock bands (Anthrax!), indie rock bands, country artists, folk artists and trip hop artists, as heard in this episode.

June 2, 2018 @ 10:06 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Too bad neither of you two gents picked Run DMC's "Mary Mary!!"

June 2, 2018 @ 10:09 AM

@bsmntdwllr73 A rare rap cover of rock song! I loved that jam. Had it on Rap Traxx 2.

June 2, 2018 @ 10:31 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Well, Run DMC also did "Walk This Way" (most obviously!!), Grandmaster Flash did "Magic Carpet
Ride" with John Kay, CeeLo Green did Band of Horses "No One's Going To Love You", and there
are many other examples, usually form live performance. Speaking of covers, for reasons only
known to themselves and their fans who apparently demanded it, Weezer have released cover
versions of Toto's "Africa" and "Rosanna", and both are very faithful to the originals.

June 2, 2018 @ 10:39 AM

bsmntdwllr73

Sorry, that Band of Horses song is actually called "No One's Gonna Love You." Sometimes I let my
inner English-teaching schoolmarm get the better of me!!

June 2, 2018 @ 10:42 AM

markosaar

I used to be obsessed with covers for some reason when I was first really getting into alt-rock.

Going to share this one though -- indie-folk Radical Face does Skinny Puppy's Assimilate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdCw_iO77kw

@Toronto Mike, love Tricky's Black Steel by the way. One of those songs I didn't realise was a cover originally.

I listened to Lush's version of Love At First Sight for something like 20 years before I heard The Gist's original come up on Spotify. See also: George Harrison - Got My Mind Set On You.

June 2, 2018 @ 4:42 PM

markosaar

One more that just happened to come up...

Swedish electro-industrial band, Covenant, does Lee Hazlewood's Rider On A White Horse: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-EHbHrS9IY

It's funny, the original has a bit of crazy 70s synths in it.

June 2, 2018 @ 7:59 PM

Urooj Islam

@elvis

Is it a Toronto FC depression beard by any chance?

June 2, 2018 @ 8:02 PM

Javed Jafri

@markkosaar
This is a nice version of Lee Hazlelwood's some Velvet Morning. Primal Scream with Kate Moss. The orig by Hazlewood and Nancy Sinatra is also great:

June 2, 2018 @ 10:09 PM

LieveFamke

Great episode, always like the Elvis ones... Sad to admit, I'm the second type of person - the one that doesn't care to learn about the music I listen to, it's only background music to me!
So my only suggestion would have been for this episode was to play a little bit of the original so that we could hear the difference.

However, I DID know that the GnR song was a cover. Hope I'm not kicked out the Toronto Mike fan club!

June 4, 2018 @ 9:29 AM

markosaar

@Javed Jafri,

Hah! I didn't realise Primal Scream's was a cover!

June 4, 2018 @ 11:16 AM

@LieveFamke

You're safe. This club can't afford to lose any female members.

June 4, 2018 @ 11:19 AM

Brian K

Anthrax was actually one of the opening bands for that Slayer show last week. Half of the Big Four.

June 4, 2018 @ 11:43 AM

Beatts

@Urooj is my favorite poster here.

"Is it a Toronto FC depression beard by any chance?" is a quality line :)

June 4, 2018 @ 11:50 AM

H.o.E.

Yeah, Anthrax is still touring.

After you mentioned The Muppet Show, then Alice Cooper, I remembered him and Elton John being guests, and looked to see if I there were any notable others. Jeez, it was a lot of long-forgotten 1970s pop music and other celebrities who are better off remaining forgotten. I don't know whether to laugh or vomit at this -- Leo Sayer and his 1970s white-guy 'fro, scat singing and dancing to a mime-clown version of himself.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pj0AuBz-xfs (I vaguely remember the cover version by Three Dog Night, who apparently recorded nothing but covers.)

June 4, 2018 @ 12:10 PM

markosaar

My favourite Guns 'n' Roses cover: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlrzTPnmFvA (Tashaki Miyaki - Sweet Child O' Mine)

Dreampop/shoegazery

June 4, 2018 @ 12:36 PM

wade

The Clash I Fought The Law

June 4, 2018 @ 3:21 PM

Javed Jafri

@H,O.E.
Three Dog Night were great interpreters of material by renowned songwriters such as Nillson, Randy Newman, Laura Nyro, Hoyt Axton and more and yes they did cover Leo Sayer.

The three main group members started under the name Redwood and worked with Brian Wilson and recorded some of his material like this one from 1967 called Time to Get Alone:

June 4, 2018 @ 11:41 PM

Beatts

@javed Jafri Three Dog Night is great, love Shambala.

June 5, 2018 @ 7:55 AM

Pete

I saw Anthrax last week at the Amphitheatre. They also did a great cover of the Beastie's "Looking Down the Barrel of a Gun" from The Beavis and Butthead Experience.

June 6, 2018 @ 1:38 AM

Pete

Snoop also covered Slick Rick's "Lodi Dodi" on his debut album Doggystle to pay tribute to his greatest influence.

June 6, 2018 @ 9:34 AM

Pete

*Doggystyle

June 6, 2018 @ 9:35 AM

Jason from Sudbury

Love the Bad Wolves cover of Zombie, definitely one of my favorits.
Anthrax is still around. I'm The Man was awesome. Not a cover but they sampled parts of the Beasties' Fight For Your Right and Metallica's Master Of Puppets in it.
Bring The Noise is an awesome tune too.
Didn't know Crazy Mary was a cover. I just remember hearing it on the Edge back in the day.

Other cool covers
Disturbed covered Shout, Land Of Confusion, and The Sound Of Silence which were all awesome.
Five Finger Death Punch - Bad Company, House Of The Rising Sun, and Blue On Black
Foo Fighters - Baker Street
Joey Ramone - What A Wonderful World
Aerosmith - Remember Walking In The Sand
Metallica - Turn The Page, Am I Evil, and Stone Cold Crazy
The Ataris - Boys Of Summer
Nirvana - Where Did You Sleep Last Night

June 10, 2018 @ 2:43 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Jason from Sudbury
Excellent list of cover songs. Love that tasty Foo Fighters' cover version of that incredible
Gerry Rafferty track!!

June 11, 2018 @ 9:27 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@Jason from Sudbury
And don't forget that Disturbed also did a great cover of Faith No More's awesome "Midlife
Crisis" back in 2008. And Anthrax also tore the shit out of Joe Jackson's "Got the Time" on their
"Persistence of Time" album back in 1990.

June 11, 2018 @ 10:41 AM

Jason from Sudbury

Had my media player on shuffle today and heard these.

Shinedown - Simple Man