Anthony Bourdain, Dead at 61

Anthony BourdainAnthony Bourdain was 61. He was the celebrity chef and television personality known for his shows A Cook's Tour, Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations, The Layover and Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown.

Here's his episode of The Layover about Toronto.

Irv

I was shocked to read this. I buy all this guys TV shows. He just recently went to Newfoundland.

June 8, 2018 @ 8:19 AM

Carol Anne

I am heartbroken. I've watched him for years, since his days on Food Network. He was a rock star in the culinary world and could tell a story like no other. I know he suffered from mental illness for years but this took the wind right out of me.

June 8, 2018 @ 8:38 AM

Raptors Devotee (Brian Gerstein)

So sad, just illustrates once again how mental illness is a lifelong affliction, and irrespective of status on any level, does not differentiate.

June 8, 2018 @ 9:57 AM

ngstudio

He was one of the great minds of his generation, a brilliant speaker, writer, traveler, and human being. The shows he made are all fantastic, my favorite of which will always be No Reservations.

June 8, 2018 @ 2:08 PM

Irv

@NG

Yeah, he made great TV. I have the full 11 seasons of Parts Unknown on iTunes. He recently visited Newfoundland with the guys from Joe Beef. It was really good and cool to see him visit such an unknown place in the world. One of the best travel shows on TV, right up there with Departures.

He seemed exactly the opposite of what you'd expect in a guy considering suicide. He was loud, in your face, outspoken, stood his ground & seemed "fearless" with his opinions. Leaves behind a wife and kid as far as I know.

June 8, 2018 @ 3:41 PM

bsmntdwllr73

FYI: He also co-wrote a couple of interesting DC/Vertigo Comics graphic novels
called "Get Jiro" and "Get Jiro: Blood and Sushi." Obviously there is large food
component but very integral to the plot(s). R.I.P.

June 9, 2018 @ 10:41 AM

RS

It still doesn't feel real; I've been a fan since Kitchen Confidential and A Cooks Tour. He inspired me so much throughout the years. Parts Unknown was visually stunning, and was more than just about food. It was politics, history and culture, and how they all meet in a messy bowl of noodles. He participated wherever he traveled, didnt just observe, and treated everyone he met with genuine respect and curiousity. There wasnt another like him.

@Irv: That's the insidious part of depression and mental illness...you become very good at hiding it. Your brain whispers lies that make you think you're a burden to those closest to you. Those that seem the strongest are often hiding the darkest pain.

June 11, 2018 @ 9:03 AM

@Irv

He was loud and outspoken to hide/mask his problems.

June 13, 2018 @ 1:42 PM