Open Mike

Welcome to this week's Open Mike. I'm Mike and I'll be your master of ceremonies for the day.

Open Mike on Toronto Mike

Cheryl

I'm first. Goody goody. Bruins beat the Leafs last night. Goody goody for that as well. My Indians also won. My Diamondbacks or Orioles didn't play. It's Friday the 13th. We are going to get a terrible ice storm this weekend. Why is winter still hanging on? I don't know. Is it ever ever going to end. Well, I do have an appointment tomorrow. I'm trying to change it. I don't think driving tomorrow is going to be good. There are going to be 5 cm of fricken ice pellets. That's no good. Freezing rain is impossible to drive in, and then the ice pellets. I want summer. I don't like to work out in the heat when it's really hot, but I'll take it over this any day, so bring on the heat.

April 13, 2018 @ 8:19 AM

James Edgar

Happy Friday the 13th all.
I actually have a couple riding friends who rode to Port Dover this morning. I admire their passion for riding but NOPE!! No way I'd be riding today. Even if i had my wheels mounted on my bike after getting my new tires mounted.

April 13, 2018 @ 8:54 AM

Dog of a Leafs game last night, but we just need to split on the road, so here's hoping for a better effort tomorrow night.

Dan Shulman visits soon. Don't freak out when you see it's only an hour (instead of 2.5 hours like Stellick).... I've promised him no more than sixty minutes, and he really wanted to do 45 minutes. To fit everything in, I'm modifying the structure of this ep so it's really 60 minutes of Shulman, which is far better than zero minutes of Shulman.

Soon I will have an update on the next chapter of my professional life. Stay tuned.

If you're reading this and you're not subscribed to Toronto Mike'd (and TMI!), shame on you! Please subscribe, give it five stars, and leave a comment about how amazing it is!

April 13, 2018 @ 9:02 AM

Jason from Sudbury

As a diehard Habs fan I have to admit it feels weird chearing for the Leafs. My grandfather is getting up there in age and it would be nice for him to see his team win a cup before he passes on. Also, they haven't won it since 67 so they're way overdue.
I also hate the Bruins more than I hate the Leafs. lol

We're supposed to get snow here this weekend. I'm so done with this crap. We're in April.

April 13, 2018 @ 9:08 AM

Brian Gerstein (Raptors Devotee)

Everybody is talking about the Raptors exercising their demons i.e. facing the Wizards who swept them in a series that the Raptors IMO embarrassed the city, and then likely the Cavs who IMO again with LeBron are still the favourites to come out of the East until they are dethroned, and then if we get to the ECF it could be the 76'ers, who hilariously we are going back to Vince rimming out them a generation ago.

After the season we had with 59 wins and the #1 seed, anything short of making it to the Finals would be disappointing. While the Wizards can light it up and their starters when healthy are IMO better than us, our bench should dominate them and I see us winning in 5 games.

Cavs series can be one where the home team wins every game, so Raps in 7 would be my call. Problem is some games your shots just don't fall, but home court advantage regardless is huge.

ECF I just don't see the Celtics getting there as the #2 seed, but Philly has so much youth and inexperience, even adding some veterans like Ilyasova and Belinelli with Redick may not be enough but they are so talented. Simmons plays like he has been in the league 10 years as well. The 76'ers with Embiid if he stays healthy are going to be the best team in the East for a long time so we need to win now. Between LeBron in our way and the 76'ers, we are in tough but can pull it off. A lot can happen in the other quarter, let's just take it one series at a time.

Should we make it to the Finals though so much will have to be known as to Golden State's health if they make it at that point, but to beat Houston in the WCF they would have to be healthy, though Houston has underachieved for a long time in the playoffs so who knows, even missing one of their stars I would not count Golden State out.

April 13, 2018 @ 9:12 AM

Brian Gerstein (Raptors Devotee)

Forgot to add on that Fred's back is enormous, and if he misses Game #1 and beyond that we will see the series extended to 6 or 7 games and can be upset, he is that important to running the Bench Mob.

April 13, 2018 @ 9:14 AM

@Brian

I'll point out the obvious... if a #1 seed could lose to a #8 seed simply because a bench player can't play a couple of games, that #1 seed isn't winning anything this season.

April 13, 2018 @ 9:26 AM

Brian Gerstein (Raptors Devotee)

Normally I would agree Mike, but Fred is not just an ordinary bench player, if not for Lou Williams from the Clippers at 31 years old having a ridiculous year off of the bench himself, Fred would win that award. If he can't go then Lowry's minutes would be increased, and we should get by, and Wright can also pitch in as the point guard. Do not underestimate the Wizards, they can score, and we will win this series with our defence more than any other part of our game. I do not expect to be upset, just that the door would be open a bit if Fred can't go the entire series.

April 13, 2018 @ 9:36 AM

James Edgar

BTW

"I don't write songs about girls anymore
I have to write songs about women
No more boy meets girl boy loses girl
More like man tries to understand what the hell went wrong"

April 13, 2018 @ 9:36 AM

@Brian

I agree Fred is fantastic, and so important to the team, without a doubt, but really... if someone made the same comment about another #1 facing a #8, you'd say the same thing.

For the record, I watched almost every Raptors game this season and absolutely adore this team. Without a doubt, this is the best Raps team ever, and last weekend I told my brother the Leafs would lose in the first round in six and the Raps would lose in the finals in six. That's how much I believe in this team.

As Gord just told me, this is why we play the games. Let's go! I'll be watching....

April 13, 2018 @ 9:43 AM

@James Edgar

You just reminded me I should reach out to Moe Berg and get him to come over.

April 13, 2018 @ 9:45 AM

James Edgar

@Mike that would be great!

April 13, 2018 @ 10:17 AM

Ben V

Not a large hockey fan, but watching the game last night that Kadri hit was gross. i'm surprised he's going to make it out of Boston alive. I figured he'd be dealt with "The Departed" way.

April 13, 2018 @ 10:35 AM

markosaar

Feel lucky as hell to have seen the Pursuit of Happiness three times. First time was only in 2005, I was a bit young the first time around.

April 13, 2018 @ 10:56 AM

Aidan

George Lagogianes has been named the new co-host of CP24 Breakfast

April 13, 2018 @ 11:13 AM

@Aidan

Just yesterday I was at the Starbucks across the street from 299 Queen Street West and was thinking about George and Monika hosting Electric Circus.

April 13, 2018 @ 11:19 AM

Urooj Islam

I see Sportsnet gave a baseball interview themed podcast to Shulman, makes sense, I always wondered how a workaholic like him would stay busy in Toronto. Part time radio and TV work just isn't enough for him considered his prior schedules.

I guess we'll hear more about it on today's Toronto Mike'd.

April 13, 2018 @ 12:24 PM

PenDex

After years of living with crappy Internet -- we live in a rural area and use a Telus hub -- a local company got a government grant to deliver fibre optic service here. We're finally coming out of the dark ages, going from watching our GB use everyday (3GB a month for $35, but with overages costing us about $300/month in total) to unlimited 100 mb/s service soon. We're dumping Telus and Bell satellite service for sure. But what do we replace it with? We've never seen or used Netflix, but I'm sure we'll sign up. But what else? Google Chrome? Amazon Prime? Download movies from Pirate Bay? Do we need to get a new TV? We have a 2010 Toshiba, but it's not a smart TV. Do we need a smart TV for Netflix? It's a whole new world for us. Any suggestions would be awesome. Thanks.

April 13, 2018 @ 12:39 PM

Greg in Clarkson

The Lowest of the Low are performing on CBS This Morning on Saturday. The music segment is usually on between 9:30 and 10 a.m. in Toronto/Buffalo.

April 13, 2018 @ 12:53 PM

markosaar

@PenDex,

You don't need a smart TV. Look into something like Roku (a self-contained box with its own remote) or ChromeCast (need a computer or phone to control it) to get Netflix to your TV. If you happen to play video games, modern consoles like Playstation or Xbox can also play Netflix on the TV.

April 13, 2018 @ 1:37 PM

m m

Should we expect a few more peeps from Much Music, and/or CFNY? I hope it's not the end of those episodes.

April 13, 2018 @ 1:40 PM

@m m

Why would it be the end of those episodes?

Master T is coming on soon... and I'm always interested in other Much or CFNY personalities.

April 13, 2018 @ 1:41 PM

Philly-Bob

Master T?!!?!?!? Holy shit, there's a name I haven't heard in a while. That guy was awesome!

April 13, 2018 @ 2:13 PM

m m

Awesome, I'm looking forward to hearing from Master T! I always hope for more. Keep it up!

April 13, 2018 @ 2:41 PM

Irv

Great Moments in hockey fan history.

‏ @Canns15

I hope a tractor trailer slams into the side of the Bruins bus on their way to Toronto Monday #StanleyCupPlayoffs2018 #humboldtstong

April 13, 2018 @ 3:30 PM

Aidan

When's Ann Rohmer coming on???

April 13, 2018 @ 3:51 PM

Urooj Islam

@Irv

Did you hear about the guy charged with stealing a hockey stick left out to remember the Humboldt tragedy?

Great moments in hockey fan history.

April 13, 2018 @ 4:06 PM

@Aidan

She's asked me to call her at the end of this month to book her appearance.

April 13, 2018 @ 4:10 PM

Irv

Urooj

Yeah, I saw that. Pretty sad. You have to wonder what's in the heads of some people

Side note: Driving home last night late from London and got to hear the Lost Indie City in the SUV on 98.5 CKWR Kitchener. If you like classic modern music, do listen. It's pretty damn good.

April 13, 2018 @ 4:15 PM

H.o.E.

@PenDex
You said you've been using the Internet, right? Must laptops made in recent years can be easily connected to a modern television through a normal HDMI cable. If that works for you and it's not too inconvenient of a set-up for you to use, you may not necessarily have to buy a new smart TV just to watch streaming.

My brother and his wife bought a new allegedly smart TV, I think about about three or four years ago, and it completely sucked for any Internet use other than displaying some static web pages. They never use the supposedly smart TV's own Internet function. They bought a mini-PC box and a remote keyboard, and the TV is used as a monitor for using the Internet (streaming video or otherwise), or switched to another HDMI input to view the cable box, or have the Internet on the main screen with the cable box on the smaller picture-in-picture, although last I heard I think there may no longer be any manufacturers left who still make TVs that have a PiP function.

April 13, 2018 @ 5:23 PM

Jillian

Mike- when Ann Rohmer comes in ask her if she misses teaching aerobics classes- Body Alive on Church St. in the 80's. I was there!!

April 13, 2018 @ 6:52 PM

@PenDex

FWIW, I've been enjoying CraveTV. There's very little on Netflix I actually want to see. On CraveTV I get all the HBO stuff and Showtime shows. On Netflix I pretty much only loved The Crown and Bojack Horseman.

April 13, 2018 @ 6:54 PM

dale

Kadri gets 3 game suspension. Should have been 5. Babs & the team must be beside themselves with a selfish player AGAIN (suspended 3 or 4 times previously) & not a team player.
Disgusting & I'm P!$$ed off as he let the Leaf Team down going forward, but now backward.
If I were Leaf players going forward into future I don't want a player regardless of capabilitly on my team. It's a player with heart & compassion for the team, not for himself & what he did last night was for HIM to make a statement.
FWI - LOU trade him.

April 13, 2018 @ 8:25 PM

@dale

Kadri just needs some discipline... but there's a lot to like there. I'd like him to stay a Maple Leaf.

IMHO, 3 games is excessive for that crime. I expected one.

April 13, 2018 @ 8:31 PM

dale

@Mike
Kadri has been playing in NHL for 5 years now & has to realize the team is more important than himself. He's old enough to learn discipline & should know it by now.
Lou - trade him & should have got 5 games & I'm a die hard Leaf fan.
Team is utmost importance not your own ability & Nazim F'D up AGAIN last night.
Bruins in 5, Thanks KADRI

April 13, 2018 @ 8:50 PM

So by

So by dale's logic, the Bruins are trading Marchand & the Kings are trading Doughty. @@ Marchand is a very talented player but he's a much bigger dick & dirtier player than Kadri.

Yes a brain camp & dangerous play by Kadri. Worthy of a suspension but, like Mike, I was expecting 1, maybe 2 games.

Yes, I'm pissed as this puts the Leafs in a big hole but Kadri's much too valuable a player to give up on.

April 13, 2018 @ 8:52 PM

Blind Dave

Interesting story on TMI about the Lancaster Bomber. My parents came over from England in 1947 in a converted Lancaster. My great nephew says its the same one that's on display in Halifax.

I don't think the Leafs will last long. They may win one at home but they are outclassed by teams like the Bruins and higher. My second team to cheer for would be either Tampa or the Vegas bandwagon.

April 13, 2018 @ 10:54 PM

Aidan

Did anybody watch the Jays game tonight? Without Donaldson in the lineup they were down 4-0 and came back to win 8-4. I'm not liking Stroman this season and in fact I mostly dislike him; he's way too cocky and arrogant. I was given his jersey as a gift and will never wear it!

April 13, 2018 @ 11:26 PM

andrew

@Aiden
Exactly as he is just the same as Kadri on the Leafs. Both have great ability in the respective sports but both are about THEMSELVES.
Showboaters

April 13, 2018 @ 11:55 PM

Cheryl

This weather is brutal, brutal. I tried to change my appointment, but I can't change it. boy, I just want to stay home today. No such luck. this is like the ice storm five years ago. Anyway, my Indians and Orioles lost. That's no good at all. they both lost. My Diamondbacks won. Bruins will beat the Leafs again tonight. Wizards will win tonight as well. My Cavs will win tomorrow.

April 14, 2018 @ 5:50 AM

Jason from Sudbury

Go Jets go! I would also like to see VGK go pretty far.

April 14, 2018 @ 10:56 AM

unburdened

re: Jason from Sudbury: "Go Jets go! I would also like to see VGK go pretty far."

The problem with Vegas going far is that several other NHL teams now want to toss away their entire teams and start afresh unburdened by past mistakes.

April 14, 2018 @ 11:33 AM

Justin

I am equally as dismayed as Bob Cole is about this decision from Rogers. Cole is still the best in the business, and the only announcer in sports who leads me to watch a game just because he’s calling it. HNIC cuts to the last 2 minutes of a game once the Leafs game is over? Will always watch if I hear Cole’s voice and turn it off if it’s someone else.

I hope he returns next season. He deserves a far better send-off than this.

April 14, 2018 @ 12:04 PM

JJ

@ Aidan

After the Bautista era, this team had to find a new identity. Last year was a train wreck but even though its early this team is fun to watch & more importantly they don't quit.

This team is #1 in the MLB in runs scored in 7,8,9 innings. They have good starters but a great bull pen. Osuna is the youngest in MLB history to record 100 saves.

It will take awhile but the fans should really take to this new crew.

But it dont help when Rogers got caught with the ticket scam. Is that the way Rogers treats their fans who were #1 in AL attendance. Pathetic.

& the new guys who replaced Gerry Howard arent too bad. Josh Thole is raw, but thats the charm he brings. They even have former MLB Chris Leroux paired with Wilner which seems to make Wilner more likeable this year.

April 14, 2018 @ 12:59 PM

markosaar

Nice tribute to David Mullaney from Alan Cross. (The guy that did that popular 1971 Popcorn cover...)
The video for it is killing me though, the cameraman just zooming in on the female dancers' breasts and butts hahaha. No subtlety.

April 14, 2018 @ 1:32 PM

@Justin

IMHO, Bob Cole is our Vin Scully. He deserves, far better than this.

At first I was angry he wasn't calling any playoff games, now I'm just sad. To my ears, he's still the best HNIC has to offer, because there's still nobody better.

April 14, 2018 @ 2:42 PM

dale

@ALL
I've had 4 calls in the last 5 days from CRA Cda. regarding not paying my Income Tax properly with amount. Every time they will not disclose my name or SIN #. Wife & I had income taxes done yesterday & B4 we were started the receptionist gave us a sheet outlining this scam. I knew about this a while ago.
Today I lost it & told them that I work for OPP & gave a factious badge #. Left phone off the hook & 10 minutes later they were still talking that the Sherriff will be at my door any minute now.
Please beware as if a problem with your taxes they will MAIL (via Cda. Post) you.
It's too bad many people have given into this scam. especially elderly & disabled.
JFI

April 14, 2018 @ 5:20 PM

Aidan

Another common scam is air ducts. I get calls daily saying that I should have my air ducts cleaned and asking what my credit card number is and wanting to know how soon they can come out. I'll say they were just done last week, they insist I have them done again this week. I tell them I'm a renter and my landlord is in charge of stuff like that, they'll say my landlord told them to call me and schedule an appointment to have them done.

April 14, 2018 @ 9:29 PM

andrew

"Turn out the lights, the party is over".
Thanks Kadri.

April 14, 2018 @ 10:56 PM

Cheryl

Well, it's nasty out there. I'm not going out today or tomorrow anyway. I had my appointment. It actually wasn't too bad yesterday morning until I was almost home and then the stupid pellets started to come. There's more today. Well, Bruins won last night. They'll win tomorrow and Thursday as well. Yes, they will. My Orioles lost big. My Indians got rained out. My Diamondbacks won though. They're doing great. Paul Goldschmidt, AJ Polak and Alex Avila hit homers. Awesome. Too bad the Wizards lost last night, but they'll win the next one. My Cavs will win today. Go go Cavs. You need to win.

April 15, 2018 @ 8:13 AM

@andrew

You're right, with Kadri in the lineup we'd have beat the Bruins last night and would win his series. Kadri just cost us a cup!!!! /s

April 15, 2018 @ 9:15 AM

Urooj Islam

Good thing sports are on almost around the clock this weekend or I'd be really feeling the cabin fever from this ice storm.

I have no sympathy for people that leave the house and find themselves in a messy situation. especially those that leave the house themselves then criticize others for doing so.

I wonder what Alex Pierson is up to this weekend.

April 15, 2018 @ 3:06 PM

I'm settling in for the Pens vs. Flyers right now. I rarely complain about the weather, because quite frankly, I'll get out and bike in -20 degree weather, rain, snow, whatever... but this weekend was / is awful. You can't bike in this! You can't take the kids to the park! You shouldn't even drive in this unless you have to!

Freezing rain is the worst. I don't even know how to shovel this crap.

April 15, 2018 @ 3:09 PM

Irv

Mike. If you pour gas on the ice and toss a cigarette at it. The ice melts.

April 15, 2018 @ 3:47 PM

The freezing rain warning and rain warning now have company. They've added a wind warning.

April 15, 2018 @ 3:57 PM

handling an ice storm

re: Toronto Mike: "Freezing rain is the worst. I don't even know how to shovel this crap."

I'm making Tikka Masala.

April 15, 2018 @ 4:19 PM

Aidan

I can't recall so many baseball games being cancelled in 1 day. Detroit's games were cancelled yesterday and today, Kansas City had their game cancelled today, Cleveland had their games cancelled yesterday and today, Minnesota & the White Sox had 3 games in a row cancelled due to weather, Cincinnati's game was delayed by a couple hours today, Chicago Cubs had their game cancelled today. There's going to be a lot of doubleheaders happening over the next few weeks. Thank goodness the Rogers Centre has a roof, I love the outdoor feel of stadiums but when it comes to weather I love stadiums that have a roof. Paying to sit outside when its almost 0 doesn't seem like much fun.

I feel really sorry for the Jays fans that travelled from Toronto to Cleveland having to pay for hotels and what not only to be able to watch 1/3 games. Its not like everybody from Toronto can just drive back to Cleveland for a doubleheader on a Thursday. They'll likely be able to get their game tickets refunded but not their hotel or travel. I was looking at cancellation/interruption and insurance and it doesn't cover stuff like this. I want to do a road trip this summer to visit various baseball stadiums and if a game gets cancelled due to weather than I'm still on the hook for the hotel in a city that I'm only visiting for the purposes of a baseball game.

April 15, 2018 @ 9:39 PM

Cheryl

I agree. This is brutal. I'm so depressed I want to just hide in a hole and never come out. My Diamondbacks played yesterday and lost. My Orioles lost as well. My Indians got fricken rained out again. They play a doubleheader on May 3. My Cavs lost. They depressed me. I have no idea what is happening with them. Come on, it's the playoffs. Anyway, they lost, and they better win on Wednesday. I hate this weather so much. Well, Bruins will win again tonight. I really need them to. I hope the Wizards can bounce back and win tomorrow. I wish I could just hide in a hole and never come out again.

April 16, 2018 @ 7:53 AM

@Mike
TMI music=The almighty Tom Waits?!?

April 16, 2018 @ 9:23 AM

bsmntdwllr73

On Friday whilst listening to the IQ of 7's '80s lunch, I could not believe my ears when Joanne Wilder
announced that Q107 would be giving away tickets for an upcoming Culture Club concert in Toronto.
End of Daze, people! Dogs and cats living together!! It's the end of the world as we know it, and I feel
faint!!!

Also, yesterday I ventured out in the ice storm to go see the new Jon Hamm thriller "Beirut", a film
by cult director Brad Anderson of "The Machinist" and "Transsiberian" infamy. I never watched "Mad
Man", and my main familiarity with Mr. Hamm came from a couple of ace hosting appearances on SNL
some years back. A great performance and a worthwhile film.

April 16, 2018 @ 9:30 AM

@bsmntdwllr73

Tom Waits - Strange Weather

April 16, 2018 @ 9:42 AM

@Mike
Pretty much any Tom Waits track from 1983 onwards would be most ideal to soundtrack this horrific
and messy weather!!

April 16, 2018 @ 9:43 AM

bsmntdwllr73

John "Spike" Gallagher's latest Star Dating Diaries escapade from this past Saturday (thanks Mike,
for letting us know that it was him!!) proves that his exploits could undoubtedly fill every column in
this series for years!! There was once a very naughty story in Frank Magazine regarding Mr. G.'s
"socializing" and while I presumed it was true at the time, it was definitely not the kind of thing
that the Star would ever include. "Tis a shame, really!!!

April 16, 2018 @ 10:07 AM

Aidan

So The Toronto Star & CBC found that MLSE imposed a 30% increase on season ticket holders who are known scalpers. Apparently once the media got involved MLSE decided to revisit their decision. I just don't understand how this is a good idea. If MLSE has a mechanism available to identify scalpers, how about banning them altogether? It would just seem easier for MLSE to sell tickets directly to the fans rather than imposing a surcharge on scalpers. It really shuts out a lot of fans, is that really their goal?

April 16, 2018 @ 10:59 AM

bsmntdwllr73

I just finished watching the induction of The Cars into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame on Youtube.
Great band on record, terrific musicianship and songs, but not much in the way of live performance
energy. True, they are no longer a going concern, but even in their prime they had a very cool
and detached vibe, but very little physical exertion. Sad that bassist/vocalist Ben Orr passed away
from Pancreatic cancer in 2000. His absence was duly noted by all onstage and was certainly felt by
all in attendance in Cleveland, his hometown.

April 16, 2018 @ 11:13 AM

markosaar

Used my weekend productively to watch Atomic Blonde, Smokey and the Bandit, and watch the first episode of Magnum P.I. hah. Never seen Smokey before ... it was ... okay. Well crafted movie, but it was a bit silly.

People seemed to be all over the place with opinions on Atomic Blonde. I quite liked it... I was in the mood for style over substance though. Weirdest (user) review I saw claimed anyone that likes it is a "fucking cuck" because a woman can never beat up men. The level of discourse these days...

April 16, 2018 @ 12:18 PM

Rick C in Oakville

@ Markosaar, the Smokey and the bandit and Clint Eastwoods Every Which way series of movies were good schlokky films when I was about 17 years old.
I was never a Trans Am car lover, but just the ridiculousness of the movies, were funny enough.
Who couldn't love Jackie Gleason as Buford T Justice. They just don't make them like this anymore!

April 16, 2018 @ 6:44 PM

H.o.E.

Did you know an astrophysicist wrote the songs "Tie Your Mother Down" and "Fat Bottomed Girls" ?

April 16, 2018 @ 7:02 PM

Wci

Sad to see Roundhouse Radio in Van going off the air.

April 16, 2018 @ 9:44 PM

@Wci

I that so? When?

Gene Valaitis and Jody Vance are there....

April 16, 2018 @ 9:55 PM

WCi

April 30th is the final day. And yes. Gene does AM drive and Jody follows. Too bad.

April 16, 2018 @ 10:02 PM

Cheryl

This weather is really brutal. I hope my trainer can make it today. I really really do, but who knows. The ice is bad out there I think. Also that hockey game sucked last night. The Bruins lost. That's no good at all. They better win on Thursday. Well, tonight I need the Wizards to win. Come on Wizards. Please bounce back and win this game. Hopefully my Cavs can win tomorrow. Come on Cavs. Also hopefully we will have baseball as my Indians, Orioles, and Diamondbacks are all scheduled to play.

April 17, 2018 @ 6:54 AM

Irv

@Toronto Mike

When I was a resident of Vancouver, I listened to Roundhouse Radio all the time. It had great programming. I was especially fond of Business in Vancouver & Live from Railtown (lunch show with great indie bands).

Ignore the chatter on radio forums as to why it closed especially Peugot Sound. It's just a bunch of old white guys that love Trump who wonder why CKNW "leans left" ignoring they live in a city that is ALL left wing. It's not a case of programming. It's simply they had a terrible FM signal. CBC Squamish used it (which is 55 km north of North Van) and a station (I think Star FM) used it to the East in the Fraser River. It was near impossible to to hear anywhere south of the Oak Street bridge. In Cambie Village (Cambie and 19th) it would finally come in on my car stereo. Cambie village is maybe 5 km from downtown. And if you live in Davie or the West End its all condo's so that hits the signal too. You just can't hear the thing

It was like a real local version of CBC that was entirely Vancouver focused. Too bad but admittedly I figured it would have trouble with that low power signal. The dial is very congested in Vancouver because of Victoria, Lower Mainland and Seattle stations.

April 17, 2018 @ 8:14 AM

@Mike
Always nice to hear the Isley Bros. being used as TMI bumper music!! Say, wasn't this track
part of iLLvibe's amazing KOTJ some months back?!?

April 17, 2018 @ 9:23 AM

@bsmntdwllr73

Today's track was "i" by Kendrick Lamar, but it is indeed built upon "That Lady" by The Isley Brothers. Good ear!

And yes, iLLvibe did kick out "i" as one of his jams!

April 17, 2018 @ 9:28 AM

@Irv

I've actually never been to Peugot Sound in my life.

What happens to this frequency now? Do they simply re-launch with a new format?

April 17, 2018 @ 9:29 AM

@Mike
Oh, I totally knew what the track was, just a little bit tired of dem youngsters wit' their samplers
and their DJs 'n such!! We gotta get back to the good ol' days of washtub bass and trashcan
percussion!!

April 17, 2018 @ 9:33 AM

@bsmntdwllr73

I will play some Charles Wright & the Watts 103rd Street Rhythm Band on today's episode 327.

April 17, 2018 @ 9:37 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike (Re: Lonely End of the Rink tweet)

You were only at the lonely end of the rink about once a week throughout the hockey season.
Take it from someone who is there metaphorically pretty much 90% of the time, it isn't really
a very nice place to dwell, and I most certainly know from dwelling in lonely, low-lit places!!

April 17, 2018 @ 9:40 AM

@Mike
"Express Yourself", I presume?!? No spoilers alert, LOL!!

April 17, 2018 @ 9:42 AM

@bsmntdwllr73

Aye, but I love it at the lonely end of this rink, because I'm watching my boy!

But alas, the season is over... soon my daughter's soccer starts up and I'll be at the pitch two nights a week.

April 17, 2018 @ 9:52 AM

@Mike
No, I fully understood your POV on this matter, it was simply the failed English major in me trying to
post /write metaphorically and wiping out big time!! Ya know, with all the focus lately on mid-career
changes on Toronto Mike, it's really had me thinking 'bout how to start something/anything for the
first time at mid-life (45 in about 2 weeks, and it has been heavily weighing on my mind for the last
little while!).

April 17, 2018 @ 9:59 AM

@bsmntdwllr73

Soon I will have an announcement on this front. I just need a couple more dominos to fall, first.

April 17, 2018 @ 10:05 AM

Ah, now I gotta go on YouTube and either listen to some Derek and the Dominos
or the Pet Shop Boys' "Domino Danicng!" Now that's a segue!!

April 17, 2018 @ 10:08 AM

Irv

@TM

The signal is so poor I'm not sure a big player would want it. The CBC uses the signal in Squamish, a small coastal town about 50 km north of Vancouver. Star 98.3 in Chilliwack (about 100 km away) also uses the signal.

If you remember, give Live from Railtown a listen at 3 PM EST. It's hosted by the guy who used to work at 100.5 The Peak when it was a true indie music station ran by Tamara Stanners. Just good programming.

This is why we can't have nice things.

April 17, 2018 @ 10:40 AM

Irv

I'd like to air my gripe toward some Facebook account called Ontario Proud.

I'm really tired of your stupid gas meme saying that Wynne's "carbon tax" is going to cause Ontario too have prices like Vancouver. Seeing you're either too stupid or lazy (or both) to do your research allow me.

Vancouver has high gas prices because of a translink take which is between 15 to 20 cents a litre. If your community is served by Translink you pay the tax. Translink runs the buses, Skytrain and I believe West Coast Express. Communities like Chilliwack outside of the Translink zone pay gas prices the same as elsewhere.

So from this point forward "ontario proud" I'll view you as a #StupidEasterner. Now, start paying me back my transfer payments.

April 17, 2018 @ 1:00 PM

Is @Steph out there? Steph who hates the KOTJ episodes and wanted more non-KOTJ episodes?

Of the last 15 episode, only two (Maddog and Ryan Doyle and Michael Hainsworth) were kick out the jams eps.

I hope you're satisfied!!!!

April 17, 2018 @ 5:24 PM

Cheryl

Well, baseball was good last night except my Orioles lost again. What's wrong with them. My Indians won. Corey Kluber pitched a gem. He's the best. Francisco Lindor, Jose Ramirez, and Michael Brantley homered. Also my Diamondbacks won. Patrick Corbin pitched a no hitter. Basketball sucked last night. The Wizards lost. This is no good. Oh well, I need my Cavs to win, but I'm really worried. If my Cavs don't make it, I'll either cheer for the Pacers, Heat, Celtics, Sixers, or Bucks, whoever actually does make the next round. bruins better win tomorrow. Monday's game sucked.

April 18, 2018 @ 7:22 AM

Anonomass

@cheryl " If my Cavs don't make it, I'll either cheer for the Pacers, Heat, Celtics, Sixers, or Bucks, "
Why only them you forgot to add 5 other teams (except Toronto).
Happy you received the attention you crave ?

April 18, 2018 @ 7:42 AM

@Mike
I obviously know that today's TMI music came from Bush (still laugh at that name like some non-cheese eating high school boy(!), but not clever enough to figure out the significance!!)

April 18, 2018 @ 9:14 AM

@bsmntdwllr73

I played Bush because Barbara Bush died.

April 18, 2018 @ 9:17 AM

@Mike
See, I was going for lyrical content versus name b(r)and recognition!! Pretty sure that
the dearly departed Mrs. B. was more of a Green River or Mudhoney fan!!!

April 18, 2018 @ 9:20 AM

Urooj Islam

Congrats to Anonomass and his beloved Golden Knights, the first team to make it into the second round.

The dream season continues for Vegas.

April 18, 2018 @ 11:54 AM

dale

Ready to watch the Blue Jay game this aft. & from Sportsnet - ALERT THE GAME BETWEEN THE BLUE JAYS & KANSAS CITY ROYALS IS NOT AVAILABLE ON SPORTSNET, ONLY ON SPORTSNET RADIO DUE TO MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL RESTIRICTIONS.
WTF

April 18, 2018 @ 4:13 PM

Cheryl

Well, my Cavs won last night. That was great, but they need to keep going. Win tomorrow. That was very close. I just wanted to say the eastern teams to win the east. Well, baseball sucksd last night as my Orioles, Indians, and Diamondbacks all lost. Tonight there is hockey. Bruins will win tonight. I know they will.

April 19, 2018 @ 6:58 AM

@Mike
Stumped again on TMI bumper music!! The volume on the music seems to have been turned down
since the change to a four item broadcast! Not a problem when it is a familiar tune, but couldn't for
the life of me name today's artist/song or relevance. Help a non-brother (in all meanings of the
word!) out!!

April 19, 2018 @ 9:09 AM

@bsmntdwllr73

How loud the underlying music should be is one of the great questions I've been trying to answer. I want it to be background music, so I fade it down, but am I fading it down too much? Maybe... TMI really is an evolving organism. Maybe I'll make the background music a little louder until someone complains. :)

Today's song was For Everybody by Rowdy Roddy Piper. Piper, of course, had a feud with Bruno Sammartino when I watched WWF. It's a cover of the Mike Angelo & The Idols song "Fuck Everybody" without the swears, obviously.

April 19, 2018 @ 9:14 AM

@Mike
Wow, I had the Wrestling Album on tape (at least the first one!!) back in the day and thought that
the tune sounded vaguely familiar!! Was more obsessed with the cuts by Rick Derringer and
Jimmy Hart, whose own album I also proudly bought!! My two cents: I prefer the original volume
levels of TMI's club days in Hamburg!! P.S., congrats on the quick booking of Mr. Slotek!

April 19, 2018 @ 9:18 AM

Here's the original:

Here's the cover I loved as a kid:

April 19, 2018 @ 9:18 AM

@bsmntdwllr73

Thanks for giving me that push. Jim Slotek is actually in Japan right now, so he'll come on in mid-May.

April 19, 2018 @ 9:19 AM

@Mike
Thanks for posting the two versions. Never knew that Piper's track was a cover. And for all these
years I've foolishly believed that he was an accomplished songwriter as well! sigh, "They Live" will
never be the same to me again!! Now please excuse me while I go attempt to chew some bubble
gum and kick (or kiss, in my case!!) some ass!!!

April 19, 2018 @ 9:25 AM

Anonomass

@ Urooj....thanks..been pushing the Golden Showers ALL year..NOT a wagon jumper.
They just trickled in enough to win all 4 games.
I expect them to fill the pot next round as they will be well rested.

April 19, 2018 @ 9:41 AM

H.o.E.

@bsmntdwllr73
I just hope Q107 is still having the free annual Canada Day thing at Woodbine Park with the tribute bands (for classic rock acts), otherwise I couldn't care less about what's on the station or who they're giving away tickets to see. I looked at their website and don't see anything yet for July 1, but this asked an interesting question.
Not sure I can think of an answer quickly -- his Beatles on the roof was a good one, but I would think most would rather have seen Led Zeppelin much earlier.

On a completely different subject, someone on 1010 AM a couple of days ago just before the 8 am news while discussing expropriating property for subways and freeways mentioned the Bugs Bunny cartoon and they even played part of it, which a basement apartment made me think of.

April 19, 2018 @ 10:30 AM

@H.o.E.
That classic Bugs Bunny clip hit a little too close to home 'cept his pad was much nicer/cooler
than my Parkdale shitshack!! As for Q107's Canada Day Woodbine Park tribute bands concert,
I'm still kicking myself that I never went to any events there when they had actual name bands!!
Looking quite forward to the free Summer concert season but most lineups haven't been announced
yet.

April 19, 2018 @ 10:42 AM

Cheryl

I can't find the new Open Mike. I tried closing my browser, but that didn't help. I have no idea where it is. Well, Bruins won last night. Bruins, please win tomorrow. Maye that series end fast. My Diamondbacks won last night, but my Orioles lost. My Indians didn't play last night, but they play my Orioles. Two of my teams. Well, hopefully baseetball will be good tonight. Go Cavs and go Wizards. I need them both to win.

April 20, 2018 @ 8:32 AM