Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 305: Colleen Rusholme Kicks Out the Jams!

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 305In this 305th episode, Mike chats with Colleen Rusholme about her recent marriage, the death of her beloved dog, and what she's been up to before they play and discuss her ten favourite songs. This episode is exactly 1:32:56.

Become a Patron

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Colleen Rusholme and Me

Toronto Mike'd is proudly brought to you by Great Lakes Brewery, Property in the 6ix and Paytm Canada.

Great Lakes Beer propertyinthesix.com

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

markosaar

-The summer Weezer song Colleen was talking about is Island In The Sun.
-jessie and Gene on 640 is what my friends all listened to in elementary school
-this was awesome.

February 8, 2018 @ 7:22 PM

I was correct about Jesse and Gene on 640, but wrong about the Radiohead album with Creep on it. That was Pablo Honey, of course.

February 8, 2018 @ 8:09 PM

markosaar

Made some quick point form notes while listening and walking home hah. I never remember what I want to say on these things by the time I'm back at a computer.

Without being spoilery, I loved the last several selections. Totally my jams.

To answer the question a little bit, when I was a kid growing up in the 90s, 80s music sounded incredibly old and dated to me. Nowadays it's kind of funny because those songs were only like 3-10 years old at the time and so much more time has passed. Nowadays I'm ambivalent. Also previous decades' music all sounds older due to poorer recording quality. Recorded music of the 80s for the most part I think has this really universal and distinct reverb sound to it.

February 8, 2018 @ 8:23 PM

Jody Thornton

Much of the 70s shouldn't sounded dated from a "quality" perspective (I'm not talking about style - sure that is definitely dated). But once you get to 1973, we have 16-track open-reel machines on 1-inch tape at 30 IPS. Factor in Dolby A noise reduction, and you have the capability of outstanding recording quality.

I would say there was a definite improvement by 1979, even with analog recording, though we were seeing some digital recordings by then.

Take a listen to Alan Parsons Project LPs like "Tales of the Mystery and Imagination" or "Eve". And I have to recommend Camel ("Moonmadness" and "Raindances") - the North American Records or Decca pressings are excellent, and show just what could be mixed down in the 70s.

February 8, 2018 @ 8:39 PM

the brother

I recall Jesse and Gene taking mornings once Rivers jumped to 640 but if memory serves the writing was on the wall for that switch, their drive home show was just too strong.

Is it possible that they displaced the RAF on 640 mornings when 680 went all News and Rivers went to drive home? Is there anyone that would actually remember lol

My fav incarnation of the Rivers morning show was the era of 'Tom, Dick (Smyth) and Larry (Fedorke)'. Larry had one of the true original weekend morning shows on radio that I can recall. It had the energy of any weekday show and when he paired with Tom they were special.

Unrelated: in the early 80's I was a fan of 1050 chum when they paired Mike Holland with Roger Ashby before he moved to FM. Their was even a brief transition of Holland and Mahjor before 'Mahjor in the Morning' at the height of the Toronto Rocks era (pre-Brad Giffen).

February 8, 2018 @ 9:24 PM

chris

Great chemistry between U & Colleen. U were both made for each other although both married now.
Good KOTJ episode.
Keep it up Mike.

February 8, 2018 @ 9:49 PM

Jason from Sudbury

Once again this was a great podcast. Really enjoyed this one.
Not a big Stones fan, I probably only like about 6 or 7 songs, Gimme Shelter being one of them, but I can honestly say I now have a new found appreciation for that song thanks to this podcast.

February 9, 2018 @ 8:39 AM

Sam in Pickering

Mike, I thought the same thing after episode 97. The chemistry between you two is palpable.

February 9, 2018 @ 10:34 AM

MrTwister

holy crap great episode. this chick is INTO music that is for certain and has superlative taste. nice visit to back in the day and yes real boys prefer Joy Division ;)

the real comment however is that I would subscribe to any podcast you do together, preferably music. she is a blast and you two have shocking chemistry

February 9, 2018 @ 1:46 PM

Colleen will be back for sure! It's rather convenient for her to jump off the Gardiner on her way home from Hamilton.

February 9, 2018 @ 2:39 PM

yml

I loved the last several selections

February 9, 2018 @ 10:37 PM

Beatts

Only 10 minutes into this but I already love it. She's great. I also love the Food factory show and had no idea that was her.

Also, don't let your wife listen to this one Mike...

;)

February 10, 2018 @ 9:23 AM

@Beatts

No worries there, I think she only listens when I have Roz or Mocha on...

February 10, 2018 @ 9:33 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Another great song with "RUSH" in the title is little-known "Addicted To That Rush" (1989)
by that band of musical virtuosi Mr. Big (best known for their atypical #1 hit (and supreme
panty dropper(!) power ballad) "To Be With You." R.I.P. to Mr. Big drummer Pat Torpey.

Also, I must commend you on your booking of quite a few real cuties as of late!! Kindly allow
me to also join in on noting the 100-watts of pure charisma emanating from the powerful tandem
of you and Colleen!! Although both of you are happily taken and most satisfied with your current
partners, I do have it on pretty good authority that there are still parts of the world where polygamy
is not only encouraged but successfully thriving!!

February 10, 2018 @ 10:35 AM

Jason from Sudbury

Oh wow. I completely forgot about "Adicted To That Rush". Great tune.

February 11, 2018 @ 7:40 AM