Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 304: Brian Gerstein Kicks Out the Jams!

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 304In this 304th episode, Mike chats with Property in the Six's Brian Gerstein about Milos, the Expos and TMI before they play and discuss his ten favourite songs. This episode is exactly 1:38:48.

Become a Patron

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Brian and me

Toronto Mike'd is proudly brought to you by Great Lakes Brewery, Property in the 6ix and Paytm Canada.

Great Lakes Beer propertyinthesix.com

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

Urooj Islam

Brian Gerstein is a great dude, I remember him back in the day as "Raptors Devotee" on all the local sports and media blogs sticking up for the team knowledgeably when everyone used to shit on them.

I will listen to this one for sure.

February 1, 2018 @ 2:24 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Love the Expos gear, when I was a kid my uncle always listened to expos baseball games at his cottage.
Rusty Staub was my favourite, more for his name than his playing ability.

February 1, 2018 @ 7:20 PM

Brian Gerstein (Raptors Devotee)

Thanks Urooj, much appreciated, Masai has built quite the team picking up on what Colangelo left him, we will see the rosters after the trade deadline to see how the playoffs shape up, just stay healthy, way more important than the #1 seed IMO.

Rick, everybody called Rusty "Le Grand Orange" when I was a kid. I got a Rusty Staub bat on bat day and it had an orange handle on it, absolutely loved it and played wallball with it for years until I outgrew it. Rusty was an incredible ballplayer, look it up, not Hall of Fame material, but for sure a way above average player, due to his left-handed bat.

February 1, 2018 @ 8:50 PM

John M.

As a fellow ex Montrealer, I really enjoyed listening to Brian's kotj session and his love for the Expos is mutual.

February 2, 2018 @ 8:39 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Loved the Crue and Crowded House in the preamble!! Too bad you forgot(?)
to mention Iggy Pop's "Home" in your great list of home-related songs!!! Can't believe
that you were previously unaware of "Rosalita!!!" Sure, some of the tracks on "Bjorn(!)
In The USA are catchier (like my fave "Cover Me!!), but maybe not as memorable! "Darkness
On The Edge Of Town" (1978) is one hell of an uncompromising album ("Candy's Room",
name-checked by Andy Frost, I believe, when you put him on the spot back in December!!).

February 2, 2018 @ 9:38 AM

@bsmntdwllr73

My primary sources of music were MuchMusic and the radio.

I'd discover something and then, if I liked i, I bought the cassette or dubbed it from a friend. Sometimes I'd record it off the radio.

With regards to Rosalita, I just wasn't exposed to it... it wasn't aired on Toronto Rocks or Video Hits or Much, it sure wasn't on Top 40 like CFTR and I can't say I ever remember hearing it on Q or Chum or anywhere else, unlike Born to Run which seemed to be all over the place.

And when I hear it now, it sounds like something a huge Springsteen fan would love. Particularly a 70s Springsteen fan. In the 70s, I was all about Sesame Street!

February 2, 2018 @ 9:53 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
If I recall correctly (and I do!!). MuchMusic used to screen a 'live' version of "Rosalita" from
1978 during the channel's early years as a paid service. Nothing wrong with Sesame Street, at least
back in the day. Far more preferable than Polka Dot Door, although I watched that it too! Polkaroo
always gave me the creeps, though!!

February 2, 2018 @ 9:58 AM

@bsmntdwllr73

That may be true, but we didn't pay for it so it didn't enter my home until a couple of years after launch.

February 2, 2018 @ 10:02 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Ours was a poor family but we always had money for the essentials like Super Ecran ('cause
that's how us Anglophones rolled, baby!!) and MuchMusic. I still can fondly recall the early
days of Super Channel and their Friday night adult content telecasts! Neither head has ever
been the same since!!!

February 2, 2018 @ 10:09 AM

elvis

Good fucking guy right there.

February 2, 2018 @ 4:27 PM

Urooj Islam

Holy shit, I didn't know The Band was so good. "The Weight" might be one of the most covered songs ever, I knew of it but didn't know of its origin.

Great list, Brian, I love how much respect you gave to the GOAT Bob Dylan at various points of his career.

February 2, 2018 @ 5:04 PM

dale

Great guest especially with his KOTJ choices, not necessarily with the songs but with the artists from 1967 to late 1970s.
Another 1 of your best MIke.

February 2, 2018 @ 11:49 PM

Gary M

bsmnt, great to see someone else likes Cover Me. Always my favourite from the album, and very overlooked later on. Even though it was the follow up single to Dancing In The Dark and a top 10 hit.

February 4, 2018 @ 2:19 AM

chuck99

Since I grew up in the 1970s, this was one of my favorite KOTJ episodes. Many of these songs were staples on FM radio back in the day. I believe the 1970s was the most interesting period for music. Top 40 was still popular at the start of the decade, but was overtaken by album rock, which was followed by disco and new wave.

I agree with Brian that Taking Care of Business is a superior song to Sunglasses At Night. As far as Mitsou and Patsy Gallant are concerned, they were both very attractive women. I can not pick one over the other. I am just thankful that Brian never selected the Patsy Gallant single, From New York to L.A as one of his top ten jams. Had he done so, I would have seriously questioned his taste in music :))

February 5, 2018 @ 7:42 AM

chuck99

February 5, 2018 @ 7:43 AM

bullet force

this was one of my favorite KOTJ episodes

February 6, 2018 @ 10:11 PM

the brother

This was one of my fav KOTJ episodes too. In yesterday's Toronto Star there was an article about Bachman's new album of George Harrison covers! I immediately thought of your chat with Brian G. Thanks for the great podcast.

When you chat with Colleen can you ask her about the Energy Morning revival she's doing on Fresh Radio 95.3 Hamilton and if she keeps in touch with The Pickle, Nicholas Picholas who resides across the border in snow town. I used to like the show when the 3 of them were a team.

February 8, 2018 @ 11:28 AM

Brian Gerstein (Raptors Devotee)

the brother, appreciate your comments as well others who took the time to listen. I got a laugh as well when I saw on CP24 on the crawl after my podcast that Randy Bachman is to release a new album "By George By Bachman" with his take on George Harrison's songs. I took a picture of it and sent it to Mike immediately. Needless to say I will be anxiously awaiting the release date for it.

February 8, 2018 @ 1:04 PM

Beatts

Listening to this one now :)

"Somebody said it was cringey"

That was ME Damn it. Why do you always forget about me Mike...and where is my certificate? ;)

February 10, 2018 @ 11:14 AM