Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 301: Gare Joyce Kicks Out the Jams!

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 301In this 301st episode, Mike chats with Sportsnet's Gare Joyce chat about his career as a sportswriter, novelist and stand-up comic before they play and discuss his ten favourite songs. This episode is exactly 1:46:50.

Become a Patron

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Gare Joyce and me

Toronto Mike'd is proudly brought to you by Great Lakes Brewery, Property in the 6ix and Paytm Canada.

Great Lakes Beer propertyinthesix.com

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Glad to see that I'm not the only one who fondly remembers the golden era of the Cranberries as
the proverbial poster children for soundtracking '90s RomCom trailers!!!

January 17, 2018 @ 3:49 PM

bsmntdwllr73

Glad to hear that Private Eyes has been renewed for a third season on Global. The network
has only aired half of the second season's episode order so I feared for the worst. Also have
to tip my hat to Mr. Joyce for having the testicular fortitude to pursue stand-up comedy later on
in life. Very interested in this field and have limited experience it, but I totally lack the Cojones
to go all-in on this lifelong wish. Might just go and check out this event that he co-runs at the Social
Capital Theatre as it sounds very interesting. Wasn't previously familiar with the band Wussy,
but do recall buying an album or two by the Ass Ponys in the mid 1990s. Also nice to see Mr.
Zevon turn up again with a track other than the most obvious one!! Glad to see that his legacy of
great work is still so appreciated, especially hear(!) on KOTJ!!!

January 17, 2018 @ 4:56 PM

garej

Thanks again, Mike. And for the comment above ... that's such an awesome note. Should say: Private Eyes has 10 or so episodes already shot and produced but yet to air. Another 10 will be shot this spring ... so really this shot in the spring is Season 4. Check Wussy out for sure.

January 17, 2018 @ 7:17 PM

Tyler Campbell

Another great KOTJ episode, and an introduction to Wussy for me as well.

Rogers Cable did some profiles of subway musicians a couple of years ago and did one on Don Stevenson - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIvSxA56HP0

Very cool that he's here and still playing. He'd be a great guest!

January 18, 2018 @ 8:36 AM

@Tyler

Great video!

@All

I'm glad this episode worked out because I actually wrote Gare on Tuesday night to postpone because I got hit with this bug that just completely drained the energy from me. I was in bed for a day and a half. I'm still as weak as a kitten [insert joke about how it would be impossible to tell the difference].

January 18, 2018 @ 8:47 AM

andrew

@Mike
I thought you got the flu shot. So much for that scheme.

January 18, 2018 @ 9:37 AM

@andrew

Don't be stupid. The flu shot's only got ~10% coverage this year and you know it.

I'll still take that 10% over your 0% every day of the week.

I must say, you post the most ignorant comments.

January 18, 2018 @ 9:39 AM

Beatts

"I must say, you post the most ignorant comments."

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED....

January 18, 2018 @ 10:18 AM

dale

Great podcast & can relate to all of Gare's songs, especially Walk Away Renee a fave of mine also. Also he & I same age.
Gare has a great voice & IMO should consider other media.

January 18, 2018 @ 3:35 PM

Al The Royal Pain

I really enjoyed this one. I didn't know some of the songs, but Gare's stories were great! I'm also a fan of Private Eyes. Mostly for the way it shows off Toronto.

January 19, 2018 @ 9:29 AM