Open Mike

Welcome to this week's Open Mike. I'm Mike and I'll be your master of ceremonies for the day.

Open Mike on Toronto Mike

H.o.E.

It was 19 years ago that something like three feet of unusually heavy (by weight, not necessarily depth) snow fell in the GTA. I remember that, unlike just about every other snow storm where the snow is light and drifts easily, this was very dense and extremely heavy when you had to try to shovel it. I don't remember anything like that before or since then. Some older narrow downtown streets could not be plowed and were blocked, meaning that ambulances and other emergency vehicles couldn't get through, which led to the mayor asking the army for help.
"During the time the troops were in Toronto, 35 people were taken to hospital in the hulking military vehicles that tackled roads that ambulances couldn't." -- But of course that urban plight prompted every proud-to-be-yokel across the rest of the country to chuckle,

"Hyuk, hyuk, they called in the army 'cuz it snowed!" -- Never mind the number of times the army has been repeatedly sent to certain other parts of the country for flooding (you know -- because it RAINED) where they seem to love living on flood plains,
or that the army was also sent to Quebec and eastern Ontario after an ice storm a year before.

January 5, 2018 @ 8:28 AM

Philly-Bob

Happy Friday everyone!!! The Leafs won, it's not snowing right now...all in all a good end t the week

January 5, 2018 @ 8:46 AM

Cheryl

Great hockey night last night. My Habs and Coyotes both won. That's a great thing. My Habs did trade their backup goalie though, Al Montoya went to Edmonton. Well, they still have Price and the Price is right.

January 5, 2018 @ 8:49 AM

Rick C in Oakville

To beat a dead horse, damn it is cold. When I use to ski and snowmobile I would have pray for this kind of winter. Now not so much.
Spent the first coldest days trying to fix my snowblower which worked flawless in November, then it saw snow!
I am on the fence on the minimum wage increase, as my daughter is a beneficiary of this. It should have been increased slowly over the 12 plus years the Liberals have been in power, maybe they can keep their eye on this and not make it so political.

January 5, 2018 @ 9:05 AM

John M

Well Cheryl this could be the start of our Habs rebuild. Did anyone see the ridiculous save Carey Price made last night? Even Josh Donaldson tweeted about it.

January 5, 2018 @ 9:16 AM

Philly-Bob

@ John and Cheryl - Price made an amazing save last night, truly impressive. However, Price can't score goals, nor can he play defence. The team around him unfortunately is horrible. I fear by the time you sort out the rest of your roster, Price will have passed his Prime.

Did anyone hear about Subban being named Captian of the all star team for the second year in a row?? I'd sure hate to be the team that traded him for an aging commodity.....

January 5, 2018 @ 9:21 AM

James Edgar

Happy Friday all!

The minimum wage increase will be a good thing in the long term I think, many studies have proven that when people have more money ( at the bottom and middle income levels anyway) they spend more. An increase of $2.40 overnight was a big jump though. I agree with Rick that it should have risen gradually over time.

WTF happened in the leafs game to have Kadri rip out a chunk of Thorntons beard????

Lynn Bayak the senator from Dryden Ontario who was kicked out of the conservative caucus yesterday is/was in a relationship with one of my friends ,Don from my riding club. I say is/was because we have lost touch over the last couple of years. She's been to my home for dinner at least once and I've been to her and Don condo at Palace pier a couple of times. In person she was quite a nice person, Don and her were actually high school sweet hearts and got back together after about 40 years. Her position on the residential schools is pretty appalling and i can't quite put her public persona in context with her private one. Don was a life long Liberal and he showed us a hilarious pic of him , Lynn and Steven Harper together at an event in Ottawa where it looks like Don just ate a particularly sour grapefruit. And he doesn't seem to like grapefruit.

January 5, 2018 @ 9:28 AM

mrmojorisinca

GO LEAFS GO :)

I love me some PK, but him being named Captain has more to do with the fan loving him, then his hockey skills.

The Habs need a half rebuild..and they need it sooner rather then later, Drouin was a nice addition but they need more fire power.

January 5, 2018 @ 9:29 AM

John M

PK is a very good defencemen and even better humanitarian. I have watched him play during his time in Montreal, although he can make some terrific plays he would often follow it up with some really stupid selfish moves on the ice. I quite like the man but in all honesty PK is all about PK. The Preds will figure this out if they haven't already.

January 5, 2018 @ 9:35 AM

mrmojorisinca

PK is about the PK brand off the ice (and sometimes on)
one the ice I think he will just get better as he matures

January 5, 2018 @ 9:39 AM

John M

PK was a distraction in the room. Half the guy's loved him and the other half well not so much. That is why he was traded.

January 5, 2018 @ 9:44 AM

elvis

It's fucking cold.

January 5, 2018 @ 9:50 AM

mrmojorisinca

That may be true, but I think he was traded because the PK Brand was more important him then the Habs crest...that and the GM and COach are good friends..funny he had to end up firing him anyway :)

January 5, 2018 @ 9:58 AM

John M

@mrmojorisinca Yes that was also a factor.

January 5, 2018 @ 10:06 AM

Philly-Bob

I think the Habs got rid of PK because hockey folks in general have a giant stick up their ass!

Hockey people don't like players to have personality or flare. The old "act like you've done it before and will do it again" mantra is annoying. I like a little bit of show to go with my sports.

Anyone remeber when Ovechkin used to pretend his stick was on fire after a goal...I personally found it hilarious, but then out comes Ol' Don Cherry with "that's not how a good Canadian boy would do it".....

Why can't they celebrate? why can't they have a little personality and showmanship??

January 5, 2018 @ 10:12 AM

John M

@Philly-Bob Funny you should say that. It was just yesterday I listened to Mike's podcast with George Strombo...... (however you spell it) and George was saying kinda the same thing about how the old guard doesn't like change.

January 5, 2018 @ 10:22 AM

WCI

The minimum wage increase should have been introduced more slowly. That's the process happening in other provinces.

Personally, I think it would be better to slash the taxes and associated costs for low income earners. Have them pay no taxes whatsoever. Perhaps issue a tax card akin to what status natives get which is reviewed upon completion of taxes (yearly). This omits them from market costs on things they maybe can't afford. That could include housing and food. A good example is the far north where food is subsidized. This way the general population carries the weight of the poor (as we should as it's our problem). It doesn't impede business either.

And, with the introduction to 3 children into my life of late there is clearly a major issue with men who do not pay their child support. The result is a whole whack of kids seem to live in abject poverty. The system behind the collection of said money seems to be useless. If I was to default on my mortgage or car loan, action would be fast and furious. I know a guy who is 30 grand in arrears on child support. If I was 30 grand in arrears on my last mortgage the Sheriff would have removed me.

January 5, 2018 @ 10:26 AM

John M

@Philly-Bob Are you the same guy who would call in on the Bullpen with Mike Hogan? If so you were very entertaining.

January 5, 2018 @ 10:39 AM

Ryan G

I'm officially the worst judge on the quickest checkout lanes at supermarkets. Yesterday the shortest line had just 1 woman with maybe 4 small things. How can I lose right? Wrong. See, this woman had a secret she kept to herself to the point where it was too late for me to abandon that particular register. After her items were punched in, she says "..and 3 waters", and casually points to the gargantuan industrial sized jugs at the front of the store. "Fuck", I'm thinking. I immediately know this isn't going to move quickly, because this ignorant jackass clearly knows that you are supposed to go get one of them for the cashier to scan at least one. But no, she just points her lazy-ass finger at them. This in turn led the cashier to try and look up some code on one of those stupid wheels with tiny writing, eating up crucial minutes. I nearly offered to go get the goddamn thing myself, and do it loudly to embarass this person.

Now you might be saying, well...those things are heavy..and a WOMAN can't be expected to go lift one of those things right? It's possible I suppose, and I may give you the benefit of the doubt, but there's something else. See, the woman failed to put the little conveyor belt divider behind her 4 items when i approached the checkout, and frankly, it's little things like that that tell me a whole lot about a person.

It's zillions of selfish, self-centred actions like this that happen across the world daily that makes me welcome the day the animals take back the planet. Or the aliens. Or the animal aliens.

January 5, 2018 @ 10:45 AM

Philly-Bob

@ John M. - sorry bud, that's not me.

January 5, 2018 @ 10:49 AM

Ben V

Tear the band aid off all at once and raise the minimum wage. This was the way to do it. Lets say you get a promotion or switch jobs and start earning an extra $20K a year would you want to wait 5 years to start earning that amount? No the answer is plainly no. Business' had plenty of time to plan for this well in advance. I laugh at the grocers saying they will have to go with automation and cut jobs. That was happening anyways. I work in the industry this has been their push for several years now. The only thing that changed is they can use a political scape goat as the greedily pursue pure profits.

Yes there will be short term pain, but if the rest of us can't afford to buy tim hortons because the cost of a doughnut and coffee go up by $0.50 then maybe you were living on the edge to begin with. Companies have no problem raising costs whenever they feel like it, or when they complain the cost of raw goods is going up. So why is this any different?

In hindsight should this have started years ago? Yes. But we are where we are, so business' need to suck it up and move forward. Those rich @#$@'s that are the scions to the tim horton's empire can go pound salt.

January 5, 2018 @ 11:50 AM

Philly-Bob

@ Ben - there is absolutely validity to your point. These rich fucks want record breaking profits year over year and will screw their employees to get it. Yes retail and fast food have been cutting back staff for years and adding automated tellers to offset it.

It isn't the cost of a doughnut going up $0.50 that worries me, it's the snowball effect that could drive the price of a bag of milk up to $10 that concerns me.

What also concerns me is that this was a move made strictly for political reasons. The provincial Libs could care less about the people of this province. They showed that when they sold off part of OPG (which drove up my electrical bill) they showed that when the scuttled the gas plants to buy votes in the last election...this massive minimum wage hike is just more vote buying...except it's blowing up in her face this time.

Also, I (and many others) went to school and worked my ass off at various jobs because I wanted to make more than minimum wage....who is going to force my employer to raise my pay 20%? This increase is going to drive up the cost of goods across the board. So at the end of the day, the folks making minimum wage aren't going to be any better off because the cost of food, gas, rent etc will all go up. Meanwhile, it leaves us in the middle class worse off because all of these costs have gone up, but no one is making our employers pay us more to offset it.

I am not saying that minimum wage didn't need to change, it of course did, but this was not the way to do it.....and yes, the children of TH founders crying poor makes me sick!!

January 5, 2018 @ 12:01 PM

Urooj Islam

Only 2-3 more days of this insane weather before it mellows out big time for the rest of the month. I'm really looking forward to this ending.

Toronto Mike might be biking in shorts next week.

January 5, 2018 @ 1:02 PM

bsmntdwllr73

Burger King and Pizza Pizza have both raised their prices at least twice since the new minimum
wage amount was announced back in late May of last year. Pretty sure that Tim Hortons is due
for their annual price increase any second now!! Roll up the rim to LOSE, everybody!!!

January 5, 2018 @ 1:22 PM

Ben V

@ Philly Bob: I've had this philosophical discussion with a number of people. If you went to school and "worked your ass off" so that you didn't have to earn minimum wage then you weren't really doing it for the love of a job or a career. You'll always find yourself upset if someone makes more or comes close to what you make without having to have done the same work. Unfortunately that's life.People who do less than you can get more, there are those that do more than you that get less. Yes we want to better ourselves to get a better standard of living that's inherent in most people. The statement also drips with the condemnation of those working at minimum wage as not trying as hard as those of us who make more than that.

If your milk goes up to $10 then I suggest you stop shopping at Pusateries. The impact to rent should be non-existent, natural gas the same and almost no chance of this on electricity. Where you will feel this is at the grocery store, your local restaurant, when you go shopping. At your local grocery store price of products won't go up by 20% because minimum wage did. A grocery store or even McDonalds for that matter should have labour at 20-25% of their business. So a 20% increase in wage is at best a 4% increase. Lets even say down the supply line of getting those groceries to you is another 4%. So you pay 8% more, groceries aren't 100% of your monthly expense so an 8% increase on your cost of goods while taking home 20% more isn't a problem.

It also means that people sometimes working 2 and 3 jobs can quit one now.

As for the effect on middle class that's a bit of bunk. The fact that there is a middle class today and the rise of it was all based on the labour and union movements of generations ago. They fought to for better wages for the low paying jobs. They got it and in turn it pushed everyone up.

The economy has been white hot the last two years and the averages Canadian salary is up 3.1% in 2017 alone. Which is more than inflation, so arguably the middle class is better off across the country. Ontario alone has seen it's unemployment rate dip below 6.0% to 5.5%. We don't need to go into the breakdown of full time and part time jobs, but needless to say the predominant gain has been in full time.

WCI spoke to it. We should be judged by how the poorest of us are treated. They are part of our society. Unfortunately right wing politics have done a good job as labelling them as takers. So tax breaks or tax exemption cards would be seen the same if not appear worse.

January 5, 2018 @ 1:31 PM

@Mike
Are Deep Dives with Dani Elwell and Gordon Deppe still on the potential Toronto Mike docket in 2018?
Also, whatever happened with the quietly rumoured Corey Hart appearance that a previous guest
promised to hook you up with?!?

January 5, 2018 @ 1:45 PM

@bsmntdwllr73

Both are still happening... They've both been a little slippery, but I'll get them in as soon as possible.

Corey Hart did not surprise me with a visit last autumn! I wouldn't bet on that one happening...

But Dani and Gord for sure.

January 5, 2018 @ 1:50 PM

@Mike
I guess Mr. Hart is still living the life of a Middle-Aged Man in the Box on that Bahamian island that he
retired to!!

January 5, 2018 @ 1:53 PM

Ben V

@ Toronto Mike: Were you being a Knob and riding your bike today?

January 5, 2018 @ 2:12 PM

@Ben V

This is the only day this week I didn't ride. I'm taking a day off on account of it feeling like Mars out there.

January 5, 2018 @ 2:18 PM

@bsmntdwllr73

It was Corey's friend who told me he listens, likes the show and might drop by last fall. I never did speak with Mr. Hart directly. Maybe it'll still happen, but I'm not confident enough to promote it.

January 5, 2018 @ 2:21 PM

@Mike
Maybe if Corey's name keeps popping up on the podcast and in the comments section, he might just
be inclined to drop by the next time he's visiting Toronto!?!

January 5, 2018 @ 3:00 PM

Blind Dave

Well TO, I just can't get worked up about your little chilly spell. If you even get so much as an eye roll from someone out here on the Prairies that is saying something. And yes, I have lived in both places. I spent the first 35 years of my life in Orillia and Toronto, eight years in Sweden, and ten years here, so I do know snow and blow.

January 5, 2018 @ 8:53 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Since Joshua Boyle got to have a convo with our PM, maybe Mike should invite Justin in for a deep dive, well given our PM' s recent track record it won't be too deep...

January 5, 2018 @ 8:56 PM

@Rick C in Oakville

First question: how do I get my hair to look like that?

January 5, 2018 @ 8:57 PM

@Blind Dave

The wind chill will be -37 tonight!

January 5, 2018 @ 9:04 PM

dale

What I saw after Sweden losing in Gold medal game against Cda. the captain of Sweden team Lias Andersson throwing his silver medal into the crowd was disgusting & disrespectable overall to your team & country.
Mommy should give U a time out @$$hole.

January 5, 2018 @ 11:14 PM

Ben V

Can Rex Murphy and Conrad Black both go away. Black can slither back into the swamp. Murphy can go to Cambridge and write sonnets.

January 5, 2018 @ 11:33 PM

Goes both ways

Dumping on a kid who's just lost the gold medal in the game of his life with just 1:40 left could be considered an @$$hole move.

It was a superb game played by two great, evenly matched teams. The kid was devastated. It was pure uncontrolled emotion.

I'm sure he'll regret the move as soon as the emotions settle down.

p.s. They did get his medal back.

January 5, 2018 @ 11:39 PM

Sheer Definition

Conrad Black is the sheer definition of pompous.

January 5, 2018 @ 11:49 PM

dale

This "so called hockey player" CAPTAIN also of Swedish team disrespects his team, players & country by throwing his Silver medal into the crowd just after receiving it. Coached rep BBall whereby we won a few games, but lost many more but always respected our team & city, regardless of outcome.
Lias Andersson grow up & get a life as sure not what U just did tonight in NHL.

January 6, 2018 @ 12:07 AM

Cheryl

Well, my Suns lost last night. That's no good at all, but they lost. Anyway, my Habs will win lots from now on. Carey Price is a great goalie. As for PK Subban, yes, he was good, but he did some stupid things as well like hit another player's hand on purpose. He was really good though as a player. Yes, it's damn cold out there. It's supposed to snow though after it warms up.

January 6, 2018 @ 7:14 AM

Listen to you guys crapping on the guy who lost the biggest game of his life and chucked away his silver medal.

Yes, it was disrespectful to the tournament, his teammates, and quite possibly the entire nation of Sweden, but he's a teenager. Do you remember being a teenager?

He'll grow up and realize how immature that was. We all do. I hope a mentor or coach pulled him aside and used this as a great teaching moment.

January 6, 2018 @ 9:59 AM

WCI

@Ben

Alberta, BC and Washington state are aiming for the $15.00 min wage, but all three have did the jumps in increments. Honestly I don't think it really hurts the bigger players but I can see it hurting independent businesses.

Case in point in the changes to society. I live in KW. Schneiders Meats existed here for more than 100 years. The area around the plant is home to many small, single family homes and 3 story walk ups. These were were the staff lived, many of them doing so on 1 income while raising kids and perhaps even owning a car. Today, that 2 story walk up rents for $1100 a month. For someone on a single income that's near minimum wage that's a real challenge. And the houses sell for $350,000 now. That's impossible for most single income earners with a GOOD salary.

The world has changed. We've gutted out the semi skilled jobs. We have an alarming number of poor people without much hope. That is a recipe for disaster. Witness what happened in the USA with King Cheetoh and his promises to the uneducated masses.

January 6, 2018 @ 10:39 AM

Anonymous

re: WCI: "The world has changed. We've gutted out the semi skilled jobs. We have an alarming number of poor people without much hope. That is a recipe for disaster. "

Get ready for the Guaranteed Income debate. I don't know the correct answer but automation will continue to increase & under\non employment will continue to grow. Yes, this is a huge issue.

January 6, 2018 @ 10:59 AM

Beatts

My celebrity status took a big upswing this year since I began posting on this blog and was mentioned a few times on Mike's passion project podcast.

Well, it's taking another big surge upwards as I'll have you all know I live around the corner from the Tim Horton's in Cobourg that recently become world famous for all the wrong reasons.

Celebrity by proxy...

Please refer all business and promotional inquiries to my email mikehidestheopenmikefromcheryl@torontomike.netscape.org

January 6, 2018 @ 11:33 AM

WCI

@Anonymous

I think a bigger part in the whole "guaranteed income" will be artificial intelligence and automation. In theory AI should free up humans from drudgery but in reality it will decimate many peoples lives. We are going to have to design a new system of "capitalism" to accommodate all of this. That transition will be politically charged and divisive but it's got to happen.

Re: Tim Hortons. I'm not a fan of the company. I think the coffee is OK and the food is dreadful. I don't understand the fascination with this company in Eastern Canada. I saw people complaining online that Tim's would be closed on Christmas Day. Dear God, you can't go a day without buying something?

PS. Changing over your license to Ontario is a horrible experience. Once again, Alberta does it right.

January 6, 2018 @ 12:03 PM

Beatts

I agree with WCI on increments.

January 6, 2018 @ 12:17 PM

JJ

Dont know if anyone believes in Karma but consider this. The Bills got hosed by the NFL referees disguised as Patriot fans in Week 16. In Week 17 they win their game & have a 25% chance of making the playoffs after doing so. The Bengals. 54 seconds left. 4th & 12, Dalton throws a picture-perfect pass to WR Boyd & scores the winning TD to beat the Ravens 31-27. Result: Bills are in NFL PLAYOFFS!!!! after 17 LONG LONG YEARS. Drought OVER!

Now they play ex-coach Marrone, who walked out on them in 2015, in Jacksonville Sunday where the weather will be somewhat unFlorida like. Can this be the start of something......

January 6, 2018 @ 12:36 PM

Rick C in Oakville

I need some clarification, is WCI and IRV one and the same?
I have a coworker who runs a bowling alley with her husband, the jump in minimum wage has affected them. They have 5 part time students who work for them, and basically each kid is losing about 1-2 hours a week. She said incremental would have worked. They just can't raise the price of a game $2.00, plus they are contending with a rent increase because Target came in at the time they re-signed their lease and the landlord up the rent, insisting Target would be a big draw for the other leasee's. Well that hasn't worked out.
Yes the likes of Galen Weston who's corporation was price fixing bread but he ranted about the increase in minimum wage (funny he offered up $150 million in gift cards to cover his backside) which will cost about the same as the penalty, could absorb this.

January 6, 2018 @ 4:07 PM

@Rick C in Oakville

I believe WCI stands for West Coast Irv. They are one and the same.

January 6, 2018 @ 4:10 PM

Rick C in Oakville

He will now need to be KWI! Always enjoy his commenting.

January 6, 2018 @ 4:19 PM

Aidan

I have a feeling Colin D'Mello is going to be replacing Ken Shaw this year!

January 6, 2018 @ 6:26 PM

@Aidan

So long as I don't have to retire my Ken Shaw impression.

January 6, 2018 @ 6:29 PM

Ben V

@ Rick C: you are talking about the bowling alley in hopedale mall right? Or whatever they are calling hopedale mall since the Reno.

I don't understand how they can't raise the price of a game $2. That mall is old Oakville not even 2 kilometres away from $5 million dollar homes. People seem to have disposable income for the latest cell phone, eating out and any other list of non essential things. $2.00 a game shouldn't dissuade people from playing. I know that mall is mainly frequented by blue hairs, but again $2.00 shouldn't be an issue.

Movie theatres arbitrarily raise the price of movies whenever they want. In fact they add acc to the title or 3d and they can get $3.00 extra dollar a movie. I'm a lover of cinema and I've been to many a sold out movie where people are paying a premium.

Film.ca in Oakville offers movies for $8.50 up to $15.00 less than Cineplex (vs vip 3d).Yes it's not a brand new theatre but the popcorn is good and the movies are the same. I hardly ever see that cinema full.

January 6, 2018 @ 7:24 PM

Ken Shaw

CHHHTV NEWSSSZZZ STAHRTS RIGHT NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

January 6, 2018 @ 9:22 PM

Rick C in Oakville

@Ben V yes it is Hopedale. Bowlers it seems are a price sensitive group, and you maybe spot on with the demographics.

January 6, 2018 @ 9:27 PM

Cheryl

My Coyotes lost last night and that's no good. Damn Rangers. My Nets also lost, but my Cavs won. I know the Bengals beat my Ravens. My Ravens blew it. I wanted my Ravens in the playoffs. Well, my Habs will win tonight and my Suns will win tonight.

January 7, 2018 @ 8:19 AM

WCI

@RickC

I said above my preference would have been some type of tax cuts for the poor. Maybe some type of tax free card based on proof of income. This way society lifts up the poor, not just business. It also stops any type of inflation.

That said I do find all these price increases a little suspect. Coffee, food, etc started going up BEFORE the increase. My feeling is some of this is just business being a little opportunistic. Further, cutting staff is only going to decrease business. My local McDonalds, a favourite of the 3 kids, installed auto ordering machines. It's generally 15 minutes form order to getting my food. If it was up to me I'd just never frequent the place. I can cook something in 15 minutes.

January 7, 2018 @ 12:16 PM

bsmntdwllr73

Worse McDonald 'innovations' ever: The rebranding as McCafes (people solely ordering drinks hold
everybody else up!!). And don't even get me started on the new ordering/food delivery protocol as
mentioned by WCI above. Fast food is not fine dining and customers should not have to wait an average of 5-7 minutes for an order of death on the installment plan!!

January 7, 2018 @ 1:52 PM

Aidan

As somebody who makes minimum wage, I think I'll be working less yet making the same amount of money which isn't very much. I'm full-time and I'm lucky if twice a year I get $1,000 or more per paycheque after taxes. Now my employer doesn't consider full-time to be 40 hours. You're guaranteed a minimum of 28 hours up to a maximum of 44 hours. I used to get 35-36 hours some weeks while most weeks were 30 hours. My employer has put full-timers on notice that we'll now be getting 28 hours every week except maybe at Christmas. Yes its nice to work less for the same amount of money, but the whole point of minimum wage going up was for people to make more money. My employer used to pay for staff luncheons once every 2 weeks, now we're being it'll be limited to special occasions. When people call in sick, not all of them will be replaced. Managers will now be doing more work on the floor.

January 7, 2018 @ 4:10 PM

JJ

Well, when it comes to the Bills & Buffalo. there is no Karma. When an opposing QB runs for more than he throws (87 Pass 88 Run) & he still wins the game, then u know u carry the Schliprock blanket from the Flintstones & u are Jinxed.

Irv Weinstein is rolling in his grave after this pathetic debacle.

January 7, 2018 @ 4:31 PM

Anonymass

@ JJ Yes pathetic... Irv is rolling..
And Clip Smith is shakinin" in his Lazy Boy
Never mind Rick Azar if he can understand what anyone says anymore !!

Enough of that , how bout them LV Golden Showers.....Just pouring on the winz over & over !!

January 7, 2018 @ 5:12 PM

WCI

@Basement Dweller

The whole McDonald's "ordering kiosk" thing is not done well. The UI is clunky, hard to work around in & it's slower than working with an actual person. That's NOT supposed to be the point of embracing technology. They could have used a drag and drop system for what you want on your food versus adding/subtracting things. Start with nothing and add things.

Looks to me like many of these companies simply can't think outside the box. Let's hope some technology company comes along and disrupts their business model. And while we're at it, can we speed up payment? It still takes me 2 days to have a payment clear on my credit card. I have 13 grand in Bitcoin & even with the mining system on it's knees cause of volume payment is faster.

January 7, 2018 @ 7:10 PM

Aidan

Hey Mike, your PayTM promo code has expired :(

January 7, 2018 @ 11:39 PM

Cheryl

Well, my Habs and Suns won last night. That's great. Well, hopefully my Cavs and Nets win tonight. I need them to win. The Price is right. Habs will find a way to win the cup. I know they will.

January 8, 2018 @ 7:55 AM

@Aidan

It shouldn't be.

Looking into it now...

Thx

January 8, 2018 @ 8:12 AM

The TORONTOMIKE promocode for paytm.ca is working again.

January 8, 2018 @ 8:56 AM

bsmntdwllr73

Not trying to be too controversial with this opinion, but the phrase "Time's Up" will always
first remind me of Living Color's widely slept-on/forgotten second album from the fall of
1990!!

January 8, 2018 @ 9:09 AM

@Mike
Real shame that Gail Vaz-Oxlade won't be available to make an appearance on the podcast.
Back during my days of watching Y+R her various programs were a terrific opening act for the
antics of Victor and Nikki!! It's always nice watching other people be ridiculed for their excessive
spending habits especially when one's own buying power is more suitable to Dollarama than
Costco!!!

January 8, 2018 @ 9:19 AM

@bsmntdwllr73

Gail lives a good 2 hours east of Toronto, so I totally understand.

January 8, 2018 @ 9:25 AM

@Mike
Makes perfect sense to me about the travel time, especially considering the recent shitty weather!!
Still a darn shame as she would have made for one hell of a feisty guest!!

January 8, 2018 @ 9:30 AM

@bsmntdwllr73

Great accent, too.

January 8, 2018 @ 9:31 AM

@Mike
I believe she grew up in Jamaica!! Bet she probably wishes she was back there considering
the current climate!!!

January 8, 2018 @ 9:33 AM

@bsmntdwllr73

Yes, there's definitely Jamaican in that accent.

January 8, 2018 @ 9:36 AM

jj

Happy New Year! Gail is definitely Jamaican, do you see how she cusses people off
on Twitter? L O L.

January 8, 2018 @ 12:03 PM

Urooj Islam

Beautiful weather for the next few weeks, Toronto Mike will be uni-cycling shirtless.

Much needed break from the arctic air.

January 8, 2018 @ 12:22 PM

@Urooj Islam

I just finished 30km and it feels warm and safe but I am absolutely soaked.

January 8, 2018 @ 1:40 PM

Luigi Evangelista

The Golden Globes were last night. It was interesting to see all those actresses wearing black and the actors wearing 'Times Up' pins, but I don't know if it's pessimism or realism that's causing my bull**** detector to go off.
I get the sense that although everyone in Hollywood is supposedly singing the same tune, they'll be up to their same old tricks soon enough. There are always new people willing to do anything to be rich and famous and there are always rich and famous willing to do and ignore anything and everything to stay that way.
By the way, Oprah gave a heckuva speech, but I hope for her sake, she stays far away from running for office. She's got too much to lose if she seeks the presidency!

January 8, 2018 @ 4:08 PM

@Luigi Evangelista

The Oprah angle sure is titillating. I don't think she'll run, but it's interesting that she's even considering it. Imagine her on a ticket with Joe Biden, for example.

We live in interesting times.

January 8, 2018 @ 4:12 PM

Aidan

Thanks for getting it working again Mike, I'll try and use it for my next bill coming due in a couple weeks

January 8, 2018 @ 4:38 PM

@Aidan

You're a good man.

January 8, 2018 @ 4:40 PM

dale

If Oprah considers running for Pres. against Trump nest election, this would be a lot worse than Hillary vs. Trump. Would not be surprised if she does. Would be a worse joke in the White House overall than now.

January 8, 2018 @ 4:47 PM

@dale

I can't tell you how sure I was Trump was going to lose that election.

That taught me something that will stick with me forever. Never say never because anything's possible. Oprah could run and could win.

But I don't believe she'll run.

January 8, 2018 @ 4:50 PM

dale

Could be Billionaires head to head. What has Oprah got to lose as she's done everything she wanted to do & now could be a new challenge. Don't bet against it.
Oprah for Pres.

January 8, 2018 @ 6:42 PM

Cheryl

My Cavs and Nets lost. My Nets lost in overtime by one measly point. They should have won. My Cavs got clobbered. My Cavs better win on Thursday. Yes, they better win on Thursday.

January 9, 2018 @ 7:04 AM

Beatts

"As for businesses cutting back staff because of the increased costs, exactly how is that going to make me, the customer, more likely to use your business? The primary reason I use Amazon is because I don't have time to go to a shopping mall, park, wander through a store, wait in line, etc. As soon as Amazon owns groceries, I'll buy from them. Why would I go get a bagel at Tim Horton's when it's faster for me to buy it & make it at home? The concept is to pay for convenience."

THIS.

January 9, 2018 @ 8:04 AM

bsmntdwllr73

Not feeling the TTC's bad decision to switch out CP24 for Global on their subway platforms. Guess I'll
have to stick to a revolving wheel of seedy restaurants, sad coffee shops and emergency waiting rooms if I want to get my illicit, always muted, Pooja Honda fix. (I live in a one channel universe where the only available channel is CTV, and I refuse to watch their news broadcasts anymore!) Bring back Ashley Rowe from Irv Weinstein land, gosh darn it!

Also, I can't be the only one who has had it up to here with CTV's ad nauseum promotion of their
dreadful new music competition series The Launch, right?!? Scott Borchetta, the host and 'creative
braintrust' behind this dog's breakfast, is the main person to thank for unleashing that infernal viru
known as Taylor Swift on an otherwise unsuspecting public back in 2006!! Plus my beloved Law and
Order: SVU has been bumped back to 'VR land for the next couple of months. When was the last time a program of this ilk even remotely created a moderately-successful (sustainable) musical
career? (Jacob Hoggard from Hedley, perhaps?)

January 9, 2018 @ 6:08 PM

bsmntdwllr73

Obviously was referring to a Canadian musical competition series in the comment above!!!

January 9, 2018 @ 6:10 PM

GeddyNeilAlex

Weekend CTV local news is a disaster! I’ve never seen so many mistakes on camera. It is my belief the anchors consume cocktails before the show. I think they pick names out of a hat to see who will work the anchor desk. As for the weekday newscast, I believe Shaw will pack it in after 70 years on air. My guess for a replacement will be Austen Delaney!!! Ha ha ha!!! Just joking!!!

January 9, 2018 @ 6:54 PM

Cheryl

Not a lot happened in sports yesterday. Not a good day for sports. Hopefully my Nets win tonight and my Cavs win tomorrow. I really really need my Cavs to win tomorrow.

January 10, 2018 @ 6:57 AM

andrew

Haven't seen anything yet from Cheryl today. Hopefully she is OK & just behind in commenting.
Concerned & miss her already.

January 11, 2018 @ 1:41 PM

bsmntdwllr73

Harry Belafonte better watch his back!! Harold Hosein and his melodic "Shit Talk" A cappella
Calypso teaser clip are definitely for real, even if this video dates back to the year 2012!! Kinda
feels a bit like the openings to those first few seasons of Seinfeld, if only a wee bit more profane!

January 11, 2018 @ 2:18 PM

Urooj Islam

No Cheryl update today?

I guess she's nervous for the big Cavaliers/Raptors game tonight.

January 11, 2018 @ 2:54 PM

markosaar

Stuff like this reminds me of what it was like to be a dorky kid obsessed with, and excited by astronomy: http://www.sciencealert.com/nasa-s-1-billion-probe-just-sent-back-mind-meltingly-gorgeous-new-images-of-jupiter

January 11, 2018 @ 3:24 PM