DeMar DeRozan Scored 52 Points in a Game and I Was Not There

DeMar DeRozan had a hell of a game last night against the Milwaukee Bucks. When it was all said and done, he had 52 points, a new Raptors record.

It's worth noting I watched on television and did not attend this game. That's a key detail because I was in attendance for both Vince Carter's 51 point game in 2000 and Terrence Ross's 51 point game in 2014. That coincidence led to some interesting math.

If (at the time of Terrence Ross's 51)
- Probability of 50+ points Raptors = 2/1,600
- I'd gone to 12 games out of the 1,600
- And everything is independent (not necessarily true but probably good enough)

Then out of 1,000,000 simulations of 12 games, then probability
- 0/12 games with 50+ is 98.50%
- 1/12 game with 50+ is 1.50%
- 2/12 games with 50+ is 0.0045% (ie. if 1,000,000 people independently went to 12 games, only 45 would see both 50+ games)

So, there was a 0.0045% chance of that happening. Although now that DeRozan has the new record, I suppose none of it matters.

Although DeRozan did require overtime to set the record...

DeMar

Philly-Bob

Happy 2018 one and all.

Great news for DeRozen & The Raptors, all our beloved Toronto Teams seem to be headed in the right direction (sigh...Jays aside).

I'm sure this post will anger our friend Cheryl as it makes no mention of her Suns or Cavs.

January 2, 2018 @ 12:13 PM

Urooj Islam

It's pretty cool to see him become a perennial All-Star and a franchise defining great player.

I was way, WAY off about him, did not see this coming at all.

January 2, 2018 @ 1:00 PM

elvis

From Eric Smith:

DeRozan says earlier today, crazily, he was watching Jordan's game 6 vs Utah. The final 3 min. He says he dreams of having big moments like that. --- Goes out hours later and scores a career high / franchise high 52

He needs to watch that game every day.

January 2, 2018 @ 4:13 PM

Jamally

He's becoming elite. Should be up high when it comes to all-time Toronto greats. A real great. Unlike the Jays and their fans celebrating Carlos Delgado as a great when he led the team to nothing. Weird Toronto fans :)

January 2, 2018 @ 10:45 PM

George

He's becoming a star and surprising everyone. But as Jamally said, it takes more than just one star to bring home a championship. It's the same with the Leafs. We have the star power nowadays in Auston Matthews, but the team is still struggling to come out on top. We're now 3rd in the Atlantic division.

January 3, 2018 @ 12:15 AM

Cambo

@Jamally

Unfair assessment.

You can have a "great" player and still go nowhere as a team. As far as I'm aware, the Raptors have yet to win the championship. They've made it into the finals, but still didn't win. Vince Carter was considered 'elite'...but still the team went nowhere.

Auston Matthews can be considered 'elite', but the team as a whole is still struggling.

Carlos Delgado was elite, and set a whack of records. Did you miss the back-to-back World Series wins in 92/93?

But as all teams do after championship wins, they struggled after that.

January 4, 2018 @ 10:07 AM

@Cambo

Just catching up here... I remember those early Mario Lemieux teams and Michael Jordan teams. They couldn't do it alone. Delgado couldn't do it alone... but what a tremendous hitter!

January 4, 2018 @ 10:10 AM

Philly-Bob

@ Cambo - Agree with everything you said there, other than saying the Leafs are struggling. They are 3rd in their Division and 6th in the conference, only 2 points back of Boston for 2nd and 4th respectively.

Not sure what your benchmark for a struggling team is, but I'm one happy Leaf Fan.

January 4, 2018 @ 10:12 AM

@Philly-Bob

After that start, I think we got a little ahead of ourselves. We're just so damn thirsty for some Maple Leaf playoff success!

This past month, I've seen a Leafs team that doesn't seem quite ready to compete. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm no longer confident we win a round this year.

But the future remains very, very bright!

January 4, 2018 @ 10:14 AM

Philly-Bob

@ Mike -I'm not saying they will win the cup, I'm not even saying they will make it past the 1st round, but I wouldn't classify them as "struggling"

We have 2 future All-Stars (Marner and Nylander) who are having sophomore slumps and we desperately need a bonafied #1 defenceman.

The Sabres are struggling, Ottawa and Montreal are struggling. The Leafs are entertaining to watch, and win more than they lose....I simply take umbrage with applying the term struggling to the Leafs.

January 4, 2018 @ 11:15 AM

@Philly-Bob

Perspective is everything! If you had told me two years ago we'd be where we are now, I'd have been ecstatic. Now that the expectations are raised, we can debate arbitrary terms like "struggling".

If the Leafs could win a round this year, I'd be very pleased. The Leafs and Raps are so much fun to watch right now.

January 4, 2018 @ 11:39 AM

Cambo

Fair enough. Maybe struggling wasn't the right phrase, But I do agree they're not where they should be to go deep into the playoffs this year. It is a growing year, but they're far more entertaining than previous years.

January 4, 2018 @ 1:08 PM

Philly-Bob

@ Cambo - barring some moves at the deadline they are unlikely to go far in the playoffs (maybe the 2nd round with some stellar goaltending from Anderson).

The hopeful Leafs Fan in me says that anything can happen in the playoffs, the realist in me says we're likely to see another 1st round exit. Regardless, I'm just enjoying my team being relevant for the first time in my Adult life!

January 4, 2018 @ 1:14 PM

Jamally

It's also kind of weird the way the current sports landscape in Toronto is.

I mean, the Leafs are doing well - but I know very few people talking about them when it comes to casual work conversations or hanging out in restaurants, etc..

People know they have a good team and they're young, and yet I don't think the interest is there. I then realized that this seems to be more to this. I believe Toronto has finally gotten to the point where the city is Leafs centric and only Leafs centric. The Raptors has their fans, TFC has their fans, the Jays have their fans......and the Leafs have their fans. I see no more "Leafs #1, 2, 3, 4, etc..."

January 4, 2018 @ 3:52 PM