Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 289: Andy Maize from Skydiggers

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 289In this 289th episode, Mike chats with Andy Maize of Skydiggers about the origins of the band, the highlights, the lowlights, Gord Downie and giving back. This episode is exactly 1:21:37.

Become a Patron

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Andy Maize and me

Toronto Mike'd is proudly brought to you by Great Lakes Brewery, Property in the 6ix and Paytm Canada.

glb   propertyinthesix   paytm

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

Not Jamie Campbell

Gregg Zaun?

December 4, 2017 @ 5:02 PM

markosaar

Well that was lovely. I was hoping it would incorporate more jams, but the ones you played were biographically outstanding. Loved it.

I somehow completely missed the Skydiggers hype, but my younger brother was aware and his boss is a huge fan. Was an absolute pleasure seeing them perform at a Danforth event during this summer.

December 4, 2017 @ 9:25 PM

Jason from Sudbury

Loved this podcast. Andy was awesome and he seems like he had a great time.

December 4, 2017 @ 11:43 PM

WCI

The late 80's through to about 1994 was a really good time for Toronto based "indie" music. Skydiggers were part of it.

I could be wrong but I think Andrew Cash's brother or something was in the Skydiggers. Andrew Cash had the song "boomtown" written in the late 80's about soaring rent and housing issues in Toronto. I think he's a politician now.

Gotta love the Now Magazine shirt in display in the video for I Will Give You Everything. Does NOW even exist anymore?

December 5, 2017 @ 1:39 AM

WCI

Hey Andy...look at you all those years ago.

December 5, 2017 @ 1:47 AM

Vermin

Why don't you listen to the podcast first?

Or did you, and this is your drunken response to it?

(Which would explain a lot about your comments here.)

December 5, 2017 @ 8:18 AM

Sandy

I love this band and I love this interview. It's so natural and informative. Thank you so much for doing this. :) :) :)

December 5, 2017 @ 9:05 AM

Broni

Outstanding. "I Will give You Everything" is pretty close to being a perfect song, and The Skydiggers' version of "Good King Wenceslas" is, in my opinion, the best.
Search YouTube for The Skydiggers performing "Hasn't Hit Me Yet" with Blue Rodeo and you will witness true Canadiana.

December 5, 2017 @ 10:24 AM

WCI

@Vermin

Using an alias, are we? What's wrong honey, scared? I don't have time to listen to podcasts because I can't focus on the content. And drinking? I was at work preparing a report for court. Careful what you write on the internet, someone might be analyzing it *LOL*.

Mike, should I supeona you for the IP on this post or are you going to cooperate and hand it over?

December 5, 2017 @ 10:35 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Great conversation!! First, a correction: Motley Crue weren't classy enough to be on Enigma records
alongside The Skydiggers, Poison and Stryper !! (They were signed to Elektra Records, not that that
should mean anything to anyone!!). First, it was an honour to have my question asked but I feel as
if I must clarify something: While I indeed do live in a basement, it is in the basement of a converted
rooming house (don't want to give anybody the impression that I could actually afford to live in
the basement of a legitimate house! See, the only letters that come after my name are "ODSP"!!!)

Back to the episode, I really enjoyed the snippets of music interspersed throughout the episode.
It almost felt like a KOTJ episode hidden in the middle of a traditional Deep Dive. Also, big props to
Andy for his great KOTJ teaser track. Can't get enough of that mid-to-late 1960s California pop sound! Hopefully you will continue to feature other musicians as time and schedules permit?

December 5, 2017 @ 10:41 AM

@bsmntdwllr73

Andy visited because Laurence Nichols from The Lowest of the Low had such a good time.

Gord Deppe from Spoons has been threatening to visit for a whole now... that will happen eventually. Pete Fowler recommended it to Gord.

I'm working on Moe Berg... and might try a different angle with Hugh Dillon. Of course, as time permits, there are many others!

December 5, 2017 @ 10:46 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Back in the day (pre-major label success) I used to see Moe Berg all the time in various downtown
record stores. Never actually had the nerve to try and talk to him!! I last saw him again about 5 years
ago in a fruit and vegetable store near Bathurst and Bloor but I allowed him his personal space. The
same thing happened on a nearly empty College streetcar 6 or 7 years ago when I spotted Chris
Murphy with his kid. He could tell that I recognized him and gave me a nod of appreciation but I
did not attempt to further engage him. Perhaps it is just the bashful basement dweller in me that
keeps me so shy and humble!?!

December 5, 2017 @ 10:53 AM

@bsmntdwllr73

For a while I lived at Charles Street and Yonge and worked at Dufferin and Dupont, and I'd bike to and from work. I'd often see Moe Berg strolling along Dupont, and this was after Love Junk.

December 5, 2017 @ 10:55 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
But I bet that you had the courage to at least approach him one time? Based on some of his
biting, hard-hitting lyrics I was always too intimidated!!

December 5, 2017 @ 10:58 AM

@bsmntdwllr73

Not once did I approach him. I let him be, even though I adored Love Junk. I was far too shy back then.

December 5, 2017 @ 11:00 AM

markosaar

I've said it before but I feel like I'm literally the only TPOH fan to never see Moe Berg out in about in Toronto. EVERYONE seems to have stories. One pal even claims to have almost hit him with his car four times, Berg walking past with his nose in a book.

December 5, 2017 @ 11:02 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
I've only ever solicited autographs a few times in my life (at organized events) and I quickly
realized that meeting one's so-called idols was not for me. First off, they were always confused
by my given name (which I now happily share with a bunch of cute girls, usually from the suburbs!!),
and secondly, there is hardly ever time to ask a question or awkwardly share one's fanhood!!

December 5, 2017 @ 11:07 AM

@markosaar

I miss out on all the cool Kensington Market peeps because I spend so little time wandering around in that neck of the woods.

December 5, 2017 @ 11:08 AM

bsmntdwllr73

I've also run into Geddy Lee a few times at sporting events but he always seemed to have "a don't
bother me look on his face," Thank God I never ran into Neil Peart! The lyrics to "Limelight" really
espouse his feelings on false idolhood!!

December 5, 2017 @ 11:09 AM

WCI

@markosaar

I've never seen him. I hope that makes you feel better. I see his bandmate Brad Barker still works at Jazz FM.

December 5, 2017 @ 11:10 AM

@bsmntdwllr73

I had a nice chat with the actor who played Joey Jeremiah when he played my game at the CNE one year.

And Todd Stottlemyer, too... although he wasn't in the mood to chat.

Otherwise, it was always NHL players signing at the old HHOF... like Eddie O and Mark Osborne!

December 5, 2017 @ 11:11 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
The only thing I really know about Mark Osborne is that his wife Madolyn co-starred with Chevy
Chase in that unfunny 1988 flick "Funny Farm" There isn't anything funny about watching an
unsuspecting man eating sheep testicles!!!

December 5, 2017 @ 11:15 AM

Loyola

Awesome cast. Just heard about this from @skydiggers and now I'm subscribed!

December 6, 2017 @ 4:36 PM

James Edgar

Another great podcast Mike. Really liked the background info. Andy sounds just about how i imagined he would.

December 7, 2017 @ 10:03 AM

Wayner

I can't count the times I've seen them play....even in Elliot Lake...colour me curious...but I wanted to hear more about the "fall-out" between Andy and Peter. He seemed like he wanted to talk a bit a bout it

December 7, 2017 @ 12:55 PM