Let's Do the Star Wars Again!

Today, I took the teenagers to see the new Star Wars. At this point, I've lost track of the movie titles, but I'm pretty sure this was #8.

Everything I write here will be spoiler-free, so don't get your knickers in a knot. I'm just going to share some general thoughts on this specific flick and the Disney franchise as a whole.

Firstly, it's very long. There are ads, coming attractions, yet more ads and a very long movie. There's even a game they want you to play with an app (both my teens did this), except it's not a game at all. You literally just watch more ads. What's up with that? Weren't there actual trivia questions at some point?

Star Wars 8 is long enough that I thought I could make it through without a pee break, only to realize we weren't wrapping up as I was led to believe. There was a good 45-minutes post-pee. There's lots going on.

These new Star Wars movies feel like the same movie over and over again. The names and faces might change, but the general mythology is all copy and paste. It's a winning formula, and they sure stick to it. Because it's the same pleasing movie over and over again, it's pretty fun while you're in the theatre. Just don't expect to be talking about it two hours later. It's not the type of movie you take home with you.

I was going to map the current characters to the originals, like how BB-8 is R2-D2 and Rey is Luke, but that's a little too close to spoilerville, and I promised not to go there. Just know, there's nothing new under the sun, and that's not entirely a bad thing. After all, Disney is laughing all the way to the bank.

mdoucette77

Mike, without spoiling, what did you feel was carbon copied? I found it original and explored a lot more of the mythology of the Force. The Force Awakens WAS A New Hope, but this was different than any other Star Wars movie I found. Definitely not a copy of Empire Strikes Back as many thought it would be.

December 28, 2017 @ 5:17 PM

@mdoucette77

I feel like they keep making the same movie. I felt that way with #7 and again with this one. It's all so deja vu all over again.

The action scenes feel the same, the mythology feels the same, the conclusion feels the same... I'm not sure anything is different in this movie.

But again, it's a fun viewing.

December 28, 2017 @ 5:33 PM

markosaar

@mdoucette77,

I went in knowing almost nothing. I audibly groaned at the opening scrawl because it sure sounded like it was setting up to be an Empire Strikes Back carbon-copy.

I was pleasantly surprised that it was significantly different. I liked it a hell of a lot more than #7.

December 28, 2017 @ 6:16 PM

DUTCH

Went with my son on boxing day to see this. Way too many ads then the trailers with more ads close to 30 minutes before the flick, was right pissed off if I want see commercials I could stay home and watch cable. Anyway I was 15 in 77 when episode 4 came out saw it 9 times in the theatres ah salad days. The same formula perhaps but with different characters and story lines let's one relive the old days and escape reality if only for a couple hrs. My son is 23 and he treated his old man to an outing greatly appreciated. Happy New Year!

December 28, 2017 @ 6:21 PM

Daniel

I counted 17 ads before the movie. there was even an ad in between trailers. it was a frustrating start

Agreed it felt long and unnecessarily so. Splitting between the 2 plot lines of the rebellion and Rey was an ode to empire but it felt like they forced a rebellion story line. it was a slow speed chase, for like 1.5 hours! I actually would have preferred if they split it into 2 movies. 2 hours about Rey's training and another movie that was 1.5 hours about the rebellion

Nice visual, exciting plot, character building so all in all a decent movie. But it really makes me understand how spoiled we are to have George RR Martin, because Westeros feels much much bigger than a galaxy far far away.

December 29, 2017 @ 8:34 AM

I believe this is only the third 2017 movie I've seen. I've also seen The Big Sick and Lady Bird. Both charming as all heck.

December 29, 2017 @ 8:41 AM

Cambo

The ads in between trailers isn't new, and not a Star Wars trait. Most are doing that now. It's largely the reason we don't go to many movies anymore. That and paying $15 for popcorn and pop. We don't buy that stuff.

We've discovered reserved seating. So yes, we're the ones that show up about 15-20 minutes AFTER the pre-movie starts, and get there just before the actual movie starts. And we skip the trailers/ads. No one cares because the lights are still on and most are still on their phones anyway. Win.

December 29, 2017 @ 8:59 AM

For this Star Wars flick, Costco had a deal where you get two adult tickets, a large popcorn and two drinks for $25 + tax. So I bought that for me and my oldest and got my 13 year old in for a $10 kid ticket.

December 29, 2017 @ 9:02 AM

Cambo

Good tip. We'll look out for Costco deals...

December 29, 2017 @ 9:17 AM

markosaar

We saw Star Wars at the Fairview Mall Cineplex and oddly the ads didn't seem too bad. But holy smokes they were absolutely awful, well over half an hour, when I took my nephews to see the Thor movie down at the Queensway theatre a few weekends ago.

December 29, 2017 @ 10:21 AM

@markosaar

That's where we were.

December 29, 2017 @ 10:22 AM

markosaar

I had assumed it was just the way things were now. So now I know to just avoid that particular theatre.

December 29, 2017 @ 10:26 AM

Jer

I agree with you Mike, I feel that they are just kind of following a formula now. I don't have a problem with it, I still enjoy it. But yes, a formula for sure.

I had a little bit of a different experience, I decided to go with the VIP which is something I've never done before.

My best friend and I decided to splurge and do that together instead of exchanging gifts. We went early, had a beer and nachos in the lounge area, then went to the theater area and ordered another beer in seat with popcorn. Side note: I don't really like popcorn, but it's weird to watch a movie without it, right?
It wasn't cheap, but honestly, it is the way to go. The seats are so comfortable and enjoying a beer (even if it wasn't a GLB, haha) while watching the movie was great too!

December 29, 2017 @ 10:28 AM

bsmntdwllr73

As posted previously, saw this film in a free advance screening, so there were
only a limited amount of pre-film ads. I'm beginning to realize that all of these
franchise tentpole flicks really no longer turn my crank. Disney is trying to serve too many masters at once: Their bottom line, older fans of the original trilogy, and today's much wider, diverse spectrum of moviegoers. It appears that the plan is to now release at least one Star Wars galaxy film a year for the foreseeable future, which is definitely overkill in my opinion! Even without the
excess ads, my middle-aged bladder often felt like it was under attack from the
First Order towards the end of the film! Recommended hashtag is as follows:
#BB-8WouldMosDef(!)Make4AGreatEmerg.SpaceToilet!!

December 29, 2017 @ 11:30 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Your title for this thread is much more entertaining than any of the past three
SW films have been! Haters don't hate: Even one of the film's stars has over-expressed their displeasure with certain storyline choices in the latest film!!

December 29, 2017 @ 11:51 AM

Barry

I thought they set viewers up for a carbon copy of Empire and ROTJ but then pulled the rug out from under us a couple of times. There's no radical departure, but there was enough twisting that I felt we're not watching the same film all over again.

I thought it was a good film. I enjoyed The Force Awakens and Rogue One more, but I enjoyed it.

It is too long, and yes, the 20 minutes of trailers and ads were a bit much. I saw it at a VIP cinema, so skipping the trailers would mean missing out on the pre-show food order and delivery, which is a VIP perk I like. (VIP cinemas are the only thing keeping me going to theatres now. The theatre experience in regular cinemas is, to me, more aggravation than it's worth. VIP cinemas are a godsend.)

December 29, 2017 @ 12:26 PM

markosaar

For my wife it's the moving, horribly-named, DBOX seats. It is fun. And I like 3D.

December 29, 2017 @ 2:09 PM

James Edgar

We went on boxing day. Yes there's a formula. But it's not entirely written in stone IMHO and having watched the force awakens on Netflix a week before for a reminder i thought it was better. Yes it was long. I definitely shouldn't have gotten a large drink.

We like going to the theater for movies so I've seen quite a few over the last few years and the ads get worse and worse. I'm kind of used to it now and tune them out. Still paying to see ads is annoying. But a movie like start wars really does need a big screen to truly live so we put up with it for now.

December 30, 2017 @ 6:32 PM

I also saw Get Out and Baby Driver this year. So that's 5 movies.... (and counting)

December 30, 2017 @ 6:40 PM

Yes, this installment was better than TFA, which was a remake of A New Hope. At least this ep wasn't a remake of Empire and threw a couple of curve balls.

And since the prequels were pretty awful, at the very least you can say this is the 4th best Star Wars movie, ever.... and it might be the 3rd.

December 30, 2017 @ 6:42 PM

Brad

The reality is that The Last Jedi is not a great film, not even a great Star Wars film. As a film it's weak. However, since most people let this slide each time a Star Wars film comes out for nostalgia's sake always leaves an audience there who love these films regardless of what they sit through.

December 30, 2017 @ 7:44 PM