Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 285: Alexandra Beaton Kicks Out the Jams!

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 285In this 285th episode, Mike and Alexandra Beaton discuss her acting career before they play and discuss her ten favourite songs. This episode is exactly 1:18:25.

Become a Patron

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Alexandra Beaton and Me

Toronto Mike'd is proudly brought to you by Great Lakes Brewery, Property in the 6ix and Paytm Canada.

glb   propertyinthesix   paytm

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

Urooj Islam

I have no idea who she is, but I hope her jams contain a lot of Top 40 R&B and Hip Hop and piss off the usual suspects.

November 22, 2017 @ 6:29 PM

Barry

@ Urooj Islam

She's an actress on a show called The Next Step that has been around for a few years. She's also the daughter of a previous Toronto Miked guest ... but I'll just leave that hanging to tempt you to download. ;)

I'm actually kinda interested in this one because it's a guest who is far removed from my generation, so perhaps there's a musical education in store for me.

November 23, 2017 @ 11:31 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Not complaining, just wondering, if the one song per artist rule has been relaxed somewhat?
Interesting and somewhat surprising musical choices, wasn't sure what to expect, but I quite
enjoyed this episode! 3 things: #1. Ms. Beaton is a lot more attractive than Taylor Swift! #2.
Hopefully that song by Pearl Jam, which shares its name with one of her jams, will one day make
an appearance as well (Undoubtedly a Top 5 PJ track!!). And #3. That track by Lion Babe features
Vanessa Williams' daughter on vocals!

November 23, 2017 @ 12:05 PM

@bsmntdwllr73

I've decided not to enforce the one song per artist rule so long as nobody does anything silly like pick 4 Beatles songs. I'd probably kindly say something if someone picked more than two songs by the same artist.

November 23, 2017 @ 1:21 PM

markosaar

I cringed at the initial country twang, but the song wasn't bad, and the breadth of her selection was great. I was actually a bit surprised that her last song was still a thing at her age. It was popular when I was entering high school, thirteen years before her.

@Urooj Islam,

Haha.

November 23, 2017 @ 1:24 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Thanks for the clarification!! 4 or more Beatles songs might not be a bad thing, but there are plenty
of other artists/groups where that might be too far from the truth!! Not hating, just stating one dude's
personal opinion!!!

November 23, 2017 @ 1:33 PM

I felt like a dink saying "your jams are your jams" and then enforcing that rule.

November 23, 2017 @ 1:41 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Perhaps when you run out of willing/available KOTJ guests you can switch to an artist or album
format and then the rule wouldn't need to be 'enforced' or modified. Again, might also lead to
a lot of fast-forwarding or ear-gouging! Just kidding, I think!!

November 23, 2017 @ 1:45 PM

I was chatting with Andy Frost today, booking his appearance. His big question? Do I get to KOTJ...

November 23, 2017 @ 1:47 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Congratulations on finally locking that Big Gun down!! Maybe he'll throw in a good word with
John Derringer as well if he has a good time!! Hopefully he will be able and willing to Kick Out
The Jams as well. Perhaps he will beat the Assistant Funeral Directors' all-time show-length record?
(P.S., both of my parents were looked after by your former guest's current employer. They do
good work under emotionally difficult situations.)

November 23, 2017 @ 1:52 PM

Jason from Sudbury

I'm so looking forward to the Andy Frost podcast. When is that happening?

November 23, 2017 @ 2:29 PM

@Jason from Sudbury

December 12.

November 23, 2017 @ 2:30 PM

Urooj Islam

@ Barry

Oh, I see.

I'm in that weird stage of my life where I haven't watched the Family Channel in decades and I don't have any kids so I was completely lost as to who she was.

November 23, 2017 @ 11:50 PM

Nebojša

How did this conversation even come about? Did Kate Wheeler call in a favour?

November 24, 2017 @ 7:48 PM

@Nebojša

I wouldn't put it that way. Kate suggested her, and I knew my daughter watched her show, so I thought it would be a fun convo and jam kicking.

November 24, 2017 @ 8:23 PM

Javed Jafri

I know one thing that will definitely be on Andy Frosts's KOTJ something by Little Feat and maybe Nilsson's Jump Into The Fire.

November 24, 2017 @ 9:19 PM

Andy asked if he could kick out the jams and I told him he couldn't do so until he visited for a deep dive first. :)

November 24, 2017 @ 9:23 PM

Urooj Islam

Andy Frost has to be the most done impression in the history of your podcast, at least 5-10 guests have done it.

November 24, 2017 @ 10:20 PM

@Urooj Islam

Now who wants to edit them all together for me? :)

November 24, 2017 @ 10:25 PM

Nebojša

The tone of this conversation was downright cringy on occasion. I'm not claiming any intended disrespect on your part in the instance I'm about to bring up, Mike, but the way you were explaining to her what had taken place in the Dave Shoalts episode was very clumsy. And her subsequent seeming lack of full comprehension (or proper acknowledgment) of what you're specifically talking about made for a few more bad moments. In general, you should avoid dangling Dave Shoalts' sorrowful revelation as a hook to get people to listen to his episode. The man shared something deeply personal and painful with your audience, let's not make a click bait spectacle out of it.

January 13, 2018 @ 2:35 PM

chris

@Mike
Block this person & don't want to see anymore comments from NeboJsa as threw under the bus.

January 13, 2018 @ 5:12 PM

Nebojša

@TM

No need to get defensive and sour; this is constructive, well intentioned criticism.

Besides, if my past contributions on this site are being scrutinized (not really sure to what end), you omitted some glowing praise from me along the way (some of which you even tweeted out at the time).

January 13, 2018 @ 6:24 PM

@Nebojša

Despite Chris's desires, I was never going to ban or block you. It's just that now when I see a comment from Nebojša I automatically brace myself because I know I'm going to get it.

January 13, 2018 @ 6:30 PM

Nebojša

@TM

Don't really see much disapproval of you in the above 4 links you posted. It's mostly critique of the particular guests in those four episodes.

January 14, 2018 @ 5:50 PM