Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 283: John Gallagher

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 283In this 283rd episode, Mike chats with John Gallagher about his drug use, his unbelievable but true stories, his new book and his father. This episode is exactly 1:54:36.

Become a Patron

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

John Gallagher and Me

Toronto Mike'd is proudly brought to you by Great Lakes Brewery, Property in the 6ix and Paytm Canada.

glb   propertyinthesix   paytm

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

Urooj Islam

Mike's Ken Shaw impression sounds a lot like his Spider Jones.

November 18, 2017 @ 2:06 PM

@Urooj Islam

Ha! There is a slight difference, but they are similar.

p.s. I'm terrible at impressions.

November 18, 2017 @ 2:23 PM

Urooj Islam

Great episode, got really heavy there at the end but you and Gallagher have incredible chemistry. It's like listening to you talking to a friend like Elvis rather than a guest guest.

November 18, 2017 @ 3:48 PM

dunf

Gallagher is fast, funny, smart, a talented gossip and gags god. His flawless memory of the decades and breezy good humour explains why so many sports and showbiz Names hung out with this dude. This is easily the most entertaining two hours of this weekend. Congrats to you both. Prime pod.

November 18, 2017 @ 4:53 PM

markosaar

Loving the episode and looking forward to reading the book!

November 19, 2017 @ 2:35 AM

Sandra

Very good episode. Especially like the discussion about the “Golden era”at CityTv.

November 19, 2017 @ 11:35 AM

Jason from Sudbury

Wow that was fast. Bet this podcast could've went on for another couple hours. Would love to hear some of the names and stories he had to take out of the book. Would also love to hear about the nhl team he says was openly doing coke at a casino last year.

November 19, 2017 @ 11:37 AM

Beatts

Bah humbug.

The only TM podcast thus far that I turned off and didn't make it all the way through.

Finally had enough when he humble bragged about getting a part over someone else and he couldn't remember the movies name.

Can he possibly name drop any more? He's that guy at work that no matter what the topic of conversation is, he's done it better, faster or is best friends with the owner.

Blowhard to a "T"

Looking forward to the next #realtalk podcast after this #realnamedrop Gallagher self pat on the back session

November 19, 2017 @ 1:12 PM

Jason from Sudbury

Ouch. Tell us how you really feel. lol

November 19, 2017 @ 2:29 PM

Beatts

Jason I already sent those thoughts to Mike personally.

This was the watered down version

November 19, 2017 @ 3:49 PM

Peter S

You made the TSN highlight at end of the Argo game winning drive https://www.cfl.ca/2017/11/19/ef-ray-leads-game-winning-drive/

November 19, 2017 @ 5:22 PM

Urooj Islam

Come on, Beatts, don't tell me Spike's story about Lance Brown beating somebody up didn't at least make you smile.

November 19, 2017 @ 11:08 PM

Beatts

Urooj, I did ;) Lance is a great guy. Can't imagine what the guy did to piss him off though, it must have been bad.

November 20, 2017 @ 8:59 AM

Beatts

I'd believe Lance was a golden gloves boxer ahead of Gallagher for the record.

November 20, 2017 @ 9:00 AM

Hamish Grant

Back in the 1990's John's reputation in the king/queen bar scene was well known: he came to drink and talk. And he did a lot of both. Sometimes on air, too if he brought a live eye with him. Some people found him difficult to work with - not surprising - others just rolled with it, in a let's-see-where-he's-going-with-this kind of way. Glad to see he's still alive and his liver hasn't yet exacted revenge upon him for decades of abuse.

November 20, 2017 @ 9:41 AM

@beatts is entitled to his opinion and I'm so glad he felt compelled to share it here. :)

I've received many emails and tweets about this episode, all very positive. One chap just tweeted it's his favourite episode yet and he's already listened twice. Personally, I'm proud of this one... I think it paints a more complete picture of John, which is more complex than it appears.

John is the epitome of "go big or go home" and our final 30 minutes together touches upon some of the possible reasons why that's the case. I totally understand why some would find John full of himself, but I think it's clear that's a mask and I've come to find him rather likeable. I think I'll attend his book launch tonight.

November 20, 2017 @ 10:01 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Thanks to you and John G. for a very fun and revealing episode!! I think that this Deep Dive
really helped show him in a new light (still anxiously awaiting library delivery of his book for more
info in this regard!). Hope that he is able to secure himself a regular position again in the media,
but it probably won't be an easy battle. There doesn't seem to be a place in the media anymore for
throwback characters such as Mr. Gallagher. Character being a great word to describe the kinetic
energy he always represented on the airwaves, be they radio or television!

On a more serious note, really appreciated the last 25 or 30 minutes of this episode when you
got around to talking about Chapter 32. Thankfully, I was never a victim of physical abuse, but
like far too many other people, I have endured a large amount of emotional and psychological
trauma. It always makes me happy to hear and/or read the stories of other people who have more
successfully emerged on the other side of their demons/struggles. Still hoping to one day count
myself amongst that fortunate group of survivors. Interviews like this one provide me with the hope that it is indeed still possible. Thanks!!

November 20, 2017 @ 12:58 PM

Beatts

Toronto Mike, to clarify...

My displeasure with your guest is absolutely nothing to do with you or the show. I actually deleted my original post because the world is negative enough without my ramblings but relented and posted anyways. Have to remain true to myself. Good or bad, I'll always give you my thoughts with no bullshit.

November 20, 2017 @ 1:12 PM

Urooj Islam

DHIS IHS KHEN SHAHHHHHHHHHHHH, CTV NEWS BEGINS RIGHT NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

November 20, 2017 @ 1:18 PM

WCI

Careful Beatts. "Giving thoughts with no bullshit" about media types could get them contacting your employers or harassing you.

November 20, 2017 @ 3:45 PM

Beatts

Noted WCI.

My behaviour at work is far worse than anything I present here. I slowly and methodically built up their immunity to my harassment and smart-assed remarks throughout the years. Anyone who wishes to waste their time taking a shot at me can fill their boots. I enjoy a good tussle.

November 20, 2017 @ 4:29 PM

JR

Some unnecessary ripping of Tommy Ambrose, who was a skilled musician. "People City" was recorded in good faith, no need to dump on the man.

November 22, 2017 @ 4:54 PM

@JR

I think John Gallagher was dumping on the song, not the man.

November 22, 2017 @ 8:18 PM

bsmntdwllr73

I have almost finished John Gallagher's book and I'd like to share 3 takeaways from it:
#1. Totally think that I'll need to get Penicillin and Tetanus shots by the time I'm done.
#2. A long Purell-filled bath will also hit the spot nicely.
#3. Take away all the name-dropping, self-promoting, skirt-chasing, drug and alcohol references,
and I'm not really sure what you have left (except for the as yet unread Chapter 32, which was
discussed at length in this episode.) Well at least he had fun and seems to be in a better place
today!

November 25, 2017 @ 10:46 AM

Anonymous

Listened to only some of the interview as guest was great but again could barely hear john talk, even with my volume at max. c,mon mike fix the problem!!!

November 25, 2017 @ 1:08 PM

@Anonymous

I listened twice, had no problem hearing John this time.

And you're the first to file this complaint... methinks your hardware might be the problem.

November 25, 2017 @ 1:34 PM