Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 282: Stephen Stanley Kicks Out the Jams!

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 282In this 282nd episode, Mike and Stephen Stanley chat about his career in music as part of the Lowest of the Low and the Stephen Stanley Band, and then play and discuss his ten favourite songs. This episode is exactly 1:30:23.

Become a Patron

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Stephen Stanley and Me

Toronto Mike'd is proudly brought to you by Great Lakes Brewery, Property in the 6ix and Paytm Canada.

glb   propertyinthesix   paytm

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

Elizabeth Eppes

Such a great pod cast and ♥️ Stephen gave my girl a shout out! I’ll be queuing up TorontoMike’d & listening to this podcast weekly!

November 15, 2017 @ 10:56 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Hypothetical question for you: What would happen if a future Jammer had both Iron Butterfly
and a live version of the Grateful Dead's "Dark Star" in the same playlist?!? That would take up at
least half the show!! Throw in "Supper's Ready" by Genesis and the full version of Pink Floyd's
"Shine On You Crazy Diamond" and you'd really have an epically long episode!!!

November 16, 2017 @ 10:26 AM

@bsmntdwllr73

Ha!

That Dylan track Stephen picked is the longest jam chosen thus far.

November 16, 2017 @ 10:29 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Just you wait until you get a true progressive rock fanatic on here, then the album length epics
will truly have their chance to shine: Yes, Jethro Tull, Dream Theater, etc.!! Probably just wishful
thinking on my part, though!

November 16, 2017 @ 10:33 AM

bsmntdwllr73

Undoubtedly KOTJ continues to prove itself as the best invention since sliced bread...REALLY!!!
Stephen Stanley really saved the best for last with his ninth and tenth jams, also really liked his
first and third picks as well!! FYI: The Ellen Foley album on which The Clash backed her up was
"Spirit of St. Louis" from 1981. She also co-starred on the first season of Night Court. P.S.,
that bonus jam was amazing and an incredible testament to the perseverance of the human
spirit!

November 16, 2017 @ 10:55 AM

Javed Jafri

Have not heard the episode yet but plan to especially bc of long Dylan track. May be something from Blonde on Blonde like Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands or Memphis Blues or Desolation Low from Highway 61 or something else. Dylan had quite a few long tracks.

November 16, 2017 @ 1:01 PM

Urooj Islam

Great shirt to wear after you record two podcasts in a day.

November 16, 2017 @ 1:44 PM

dreadful drek

re: bsmntdwllr73: "Q: What would happen if a future Jammer had both Iron Butterfly's 'In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida'? .."

A: It would result in an immediate expulsion and permanent ban from KOTJs for exposing us to such dreadful drek.

November 16, 2017 @ 2:41 PM

Jason from Sudbury

I remember when Q107 was cool, they played the unedited version of Everlast's What It's Like.

As for the edited version...
"I licked the silver spoon, drank from the golden cup, and smoked the finest green."
("green" is edited)
"I knew this kid named Max, he used to get fat stacks out on the corner with drugs."
("drugs" is edited)
"He pulled out his chrome .45, talked some shit, and wound up dead."
("chrome .45 is edited, and so is shit")

I know there's other stuff that's edited but I just can't think of it right now.

November 16, 2017 @ 3:49 PM

@Jason from Sudbury

Yes! I distinctly remembered some insane edits in What It's Like. Who censors "drugs" or "green"?

November 16, 2017 @ 3:52 PM

Javed Jafri

ok am listening now and am on the fourth track, what a great Dylan track. My fave by Billy Brag is a track he did on the collaboration album with Wilco called California Stars. I read that the two parties did not get along well but a superb song. The late Kristy MacColl did a nice cover of The Beach Boys Don't Go Near The Water.

The refurbished hotel Stephen was thinking of at Scar bluffs is probably the Guild Inn located in my old neighborhood. A very nice area and great radio reception with an out door antenna when there were many Canadian and American options to listen to.

November 16, 2017 @ 6:06 PM

H.o.E.

@bsmntdwllr73
I'll take the prog rock and hard rock any day over the stuff most of Mike's guests seem to prefer. Even as a kid in elementary school in the 1970s, it didn't me long to realize their was much better music on the FM rock stations my older brother listened to, than on the silly AM top 40 stations with their "Having My Baby", one-hit-wonders, novelty songs, Donny Osmond and such that was for the 12-year-old girls and their mothers.

November 17, 2017 @ 7:53 AM

H.o.E.

^ should have been "it didn't take me long" ...

November 17, 2017 @ 7:55 AM

H.o.E.

and "there was much better" ... I should try reading these before I hit 'Post Comment".

November 17, 2017 @ 8:16 AM

The song that censors "poppin' pillies" in the radio edit is Rockstar by Post Malone and 21 Savage. That song is on high rotation on most top 40 stations.

November 17, 2017 @ 8:18 AM

Jason from Sudbury

Speaking of popping pills, the new Theory Of a Deadman song has been in high rotation on rock radio lately.

November 17, 2017 @ 2:53 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@dreadful drek
Perhaps you would be more comfortable with Slayer's version of Iron Butterfly's albatross
of a track? After all, it is a lot shorter and a hell of a lot heavier!!

@H.o.E.
Would be nice to hear some/more prog rock and metal on the KOTJ episodes, but then again,
there have also been requests for more R&B and Hip Hop representation as well. I have diverse
musical tastes so I have managed to find points of interest in nearly every KOTJ show to date.
I guess it just comes down to personal taste, and the fact that prog and metal have always been
divisive musical genres for many people. Still, I live in hope to one day be surprised!!

November 17, 2017 @ 6:55 PM