Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 279: Brad Fay Kicks Out the Jams!

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 279In this 279th episode, Mike and Sportsnet's Brad Fay chat about his career in sports media, whether he'll take over for Bob McCown hosting Prime Time Sports, and then play and discuss his ten favourite songs. This episode is exactly 1:51:51.

Become a Patron

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Brad Fay and me

Toronto Mike'd is proudly brought to you by Great Lakes Brewery, Property in the 6ix and Paytm Canada.

glb   propertyinthesix   paytm

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

Steph

General question, have you considered if its a new person you haven't talked with before, that you make it a non KOTJ episode? Im not a fan of the KOTJ podcasts and this is the 3rd of the last 4 that have been that type, thought maybe it would be the podcasts we all like :)

November 7, 2017 @ 2:50 PM

@Mike
What is wrong with this person? Why do they even bother posting their dislike of the KOTJ
episodes over and over again? As the Eagles so cleverly sang during their first reunion in 1994,
"Get Over It!" You clearly stated in your twitter feed that this would be a combo Real Talk/KOTJ
episode, and so all that is required is for this individual to turn off the show when it goes into
full-on music mode. I'm not familiar with this guest but I'm still looking forward to hearing the whole
thing regardless. Please don't let the constant harping dissuade you from continuing this
great series. Thanks!!!!

November 7, 2017 @ 3:17 PM

Steph

@bsmntdwllr73

This is my first post in about a year. I'm guessing more then one person posts about KOTJ. I was asking a question, which last time I looked was something Mike allowed. I don't have twitter. I don't care if he does KOTJ or not, I just had a simple question.

This site usually is good for people being cool with each other from my limited postings. Hopefully this is just an outlier.

November 7, 2017 @ 3:29 PM

Anonymous

@Steph
Sorry 'bout that!! Think I must have confused you with another person with a similar name who
has regularly expressed a similar sentiment.

November 7, 2017 @ 3:31 PM

bsmntdwllr73

Sorry, forgot to include my name with the last comment.

November 7, 2017 @ 3:32 PM

Steph

@bsmntdwllr73

Thats fine, but even if it was, why be so aggressive and negative? Mike is one of the most positive people ive seen online and heard, his posts on here are always pretty happy go lucky, he doesn't strike me as the type that likes when there is people going after other posters. And secondly, he seems to be totally ok with feedback, so?

November 7, 2017 @ 3:49 PM

@Steph

This was going to be a 90 minute deep dive, but Brad asked if he could kick out the jams because he heard Damien Cox do it and wanted the experience as well.

So I crammed my 90 minutes into 45 minutes and then we kicked out the jams. I think if you listen until the first jam you'll get pretty much what you'd get in a typical deep dive.

The next couple of guests, Blake Carter and Paul Romanuk, are not KOTJ episodes.

November 7, 2017 @ 3:55 PM

@Steph
Agree to disagree, but I see my initial comment as being more of a sarcastic nature than a
negative one. Didn't mean to offend you or your question, but my response was based on
frustration as a fan of the KOTJ episodes and my accidentally mistaking you for someone else.
So once again, full apologies for any perceived snarkiness.

November 7, 2017 @ 3:55 PM

@bsmntdwllr73

I think you confused Steph with a commenter named Steve.

I'm A-OK with people not loving the KOTJ episodes as much as I do. If it seems I record a lot of these it's because they're ridiculously fun.

I haven't given up on the classic #realtalk, though. I promise!

November 7, 2017 @ 3:58 PM

Steph

@bsmntdwllr73

With all due respect, I don't think that KOTJs are going anywhere, so I don't think you need to worry about it. From what Ive read they are polarizing, but there's zero indication that they are going anywhere, therefore you probably don't need to go off on those asking about them.

November 7, 2017 @ 3:59 PM

@Mike
You're right about my confusing the two DIFFERENT commenters. Look, I've expressed
my confusion before about people disliking the KOTJ episodes; but even though I'm
generally indifferent to sports, I still find the athletic-themed episodes to be fascinating
because they are informative and very thorough. As you've previously stated about prior
guests who have declined a return KOTJ visit because they aren't music fans, I guess I should
probably understand due to my sentiments about sports!

November 7, 2017 @ 4:06 PM

When I look back at the calendar, it seems I do average one deep dive a week. DJ Ron Nelson, Kayla Grey, Mike Hogan, Elvis, Blake Carter, Paul Romanuk, Gill Deacon, Andy Frost, Meredith Shaw... so it's one non-KOTJ deep dive a week with a bunch of KOTJ sprinkled around.

November 7, 2017 @ 4:07 PM

@Mike
Excellent guest and superb picks! Totally agree with his Eagles selection and I also like it more
than Hotel California. One correction: Billy Joel's final studio album of pop songs was
called "River of Dreams."

November 7, 2017 @ 4:58 PM

Gary A

If we’re opening it up for debate, count me on the ‘just say no’ group to kick out the jams

November 7, 2017 @ 6:42 PM

@Gary A

I have a request.

Could you please listen to this episode with Brad Fay up until the jams are kicked out and let me know how it compares to a non-KOTJ deep dive?

November 7, 2017 @ 8:41 PM

BFD

I've been starting to dig these KOTJ entries recently. I like hearing and can relate to these stories of your guests getting attached to these pieces of music and how they relate to certain places in time. I've really only listened to the first couple...and have started to listen to the last couple. Like Brad Fay, I'd have multiple 9-10 minute songs, and I'd have a hell of a time trying not to make it a top ten of my favourite band, Guns N' Roses.

November 7, 2017 @ 9:30 PM

Gary A

Mike,

I’ve listened to them before. I know you say it’s no different but it is. Instead of 2 hrs into interesting topics and the guests journey, it is a fully buy because your trying to fit everything in a much smaller time window. I don’t like your 40 minute podcasts for the same reason. They are not nearly the same, there’s much less info in them.

Just my opinion, would appear as though I’m not alone but I don’t know that it matters at all.

November 7, 2017 @ 9:57 PM

@Gary A

You're right, they are shorter. That's why I try to reserve KOTJ episodes to a guest's second visit I'll make exceptions here, but I try to stick to this rule. As I mentioned, Brad wanted to come over and kick out the jams, so I let him.

Stephen Brunt was never going to be allowed to kick out the jams until he put up with at least 90 minutes of #realtalk.

November 7, 2017 @ 10:16 PM

Gary A

Mike,

I get that, you just wanted to know the difference between a Normal podcast and one of these. 30/45 minute quick hit is not nearly the same as your normal podcast. I’m not sure it’s fair to say that if you listen to the first 30 minutes it’s the same. As a 2 hr podcast. Like I said before, it’s just my opinion, what impact that has would be minimal, your not stopping them just st because I don’t like them, and I’m not stopping listening to your other great work.

November 7, 2017 @ 10:29 PM

@Gary A

I really appreciate you and @Steph listening at all. And I really am aiming for one deep dive every week.

Thanks for the feedback!

November 7, 2017 @ 10:57 PM

Jason from Sudbury

To be honest, Brad kinda lost me a bit with his jams, but I didn't expect him to have Eminem in there. That came out of nowhere. By the way Mike "Lose Yourself" came out in 2002.
I'm not really big into rap either but Eminem is awesome.

November 8, 2017 @ 12:41 AM

Jason from Sudbury

@Mike: When's Andy Frost coming on? I'm really looking forward to that episode.

November 8, 2017 @ 12:42 AM

@Mike
See, it is not my imagination and I'm not protesting too much, I just can't understand all
the disinterest in/dislike of the KOTJ episodes! Don't care if I come off as arrogant or if it
rubs some people the wrong way: This is your passion project and you are certainly not
doing this for the money or the glory! Still not really sure what the big deal is? There
are over 250 Deep Dive interviews in your archive for those who are more into those
kinds of discussions. Length of interview really shouldn't have anything to do with it!!
People can listen whenever and wherever they like and for how long. Sure, I'm repetitive
on this issue, but these complaints/questions seem to pop up every time a new KOTJ
episode appears. Imagine the outcry if someone (say, myself, for instance!) griped whenever
a Deep Dive Real Talk with a sports media personality was posted: imagine the handful of
comments you'd receive about that (or maybe not!!).

November 8, 2017 @ 9:18 AM

@bsmntdwllr73

Some people write me asking me to have on more sports media guests, some tell me there are too many sports media guests.

Some people love the KOTJ episodes, some don't.

Again, I'm just flattered anyone is listening, and I'm fully aware I can't please everyone all of the time.

I really do appreciate the feedback. If someone thinks there are too many KOTJ episodes, my email and Twitter DMs are always open!

@All

Getting the Stephen Brunts of the world to visit isn't as easy as you think. First, you have to sell them on the idea, then you have to get them to commit to a time and day. Getting one a week is a lot of work, but it's rather easy to get someone to visit and KOTJ.

And many of the people who would visit have already visited, so the "low hanging fruit" has already fallen. I really do think upcoming non-KOTJ episodes with Blake Carter, Paul Romanuk, Gill Deacon, Meredith Shaw and Andy Frost will be very interesting.

November 8, 2017 @ 9:27 AM

@Mike
All your points are very coherent and well-written, but why should there even be any debate
about this? We live in a democracy with way too many choices and options in the extreme.
People can vote with their eyes and their ears, and perhaps with their wallets, if they are in
a position to afford supporting this site and its sponsors. In my opinion, there can never be too
much of a good thing, whether it be straight-up Deep Dives, KOTJ or hybrid episodes. You are one
of the few podcasts I listen to because there is no b.s. and there are regular posts, updates and
interviews. The last thing that anyone should be whining or complaining about is the content of
this site!!!

November 8, 2017 @ 9:37 AM

@bsmntdwllr73

It may be because some regular listeners think the KOTJ episodes are cannibalizing the classic #realtalk episodes. This is not the case (although it was the case for Brad Fay - who I invited over for #realtalk but he nicely asked if he could KOTJ and I agreed).

I'm not turning down any #realtalk opportunities of interest because of a KOTJ episode. So really, the KOTJ episodes are all bonuses, and it's allowed me to have some junior media people over for a 30 minute deep dive. That would include Jackie Perez, Sarah Boesveld, and soon, Alexandra Beaton.

November 8, 2017 @ 9:41 AM

@Mike
Look, perhaps it is because some of your long time listeners/readers are resistant to change
and prefer the original interview format, but as someone who seriously has trouble with even
the slightest amount of alteration (thanks ASD!), still not really sure why anyone would ever think
that any cannibalizing was going on. Twenty-one or so KOTJs is about one a week since you started
doing them back in late May or early June. I'm sure that the amount of Deep Dive interviews in that
same time period is comparable. It would seem to me that both sides of the equation have been
fairly represented. Maybe the suggestion about eventually doing s similar show with a film theme
might be something to ponder? Once again, the title of a legendary Billy Joel tearjerker comes to
mind: "Just the Way You Are!"

November 8, 2017 @ 9:55 AM

@bsmntdwllr73

But we love music. If you love music, you're going to love KOTJ episodes.

Some people don't share our love of music.

p.s. I don't love the film theme because I envision my 12th guest in a row telling me how much they love The Godfather or Goodfellas or Pulp Fiction. With music, the universe of potential top ten songs is so enormous it creates some fantastic variety.

November 8, 2017 @ 9:58 AM

@Mike
Well, you could always focus a film-themed show around cult films, film by genre, worst
films, etc.! Also, will never understand people who don't love music, no matter the genre.
Without my love and appreciation of music, I probably would be even more of a shell of
a man than I already am!!

November 8, 2017 @ 10:06 AM

@bsmntdwllr73

My buddy's wife never listens to any music. She never puts on music in the house or car or anywhere, and she never has. She can't even name five songs. She does not like music! Otherwise, she seems like a well adjusted, typical mother of three!

And at least two former guests have politely declined their KOTJ invitation because they aren't music people...

November 8, 2017 @ 10:10 AM

@Mike
Well, not really sure how to respond that tidbit about your buddy's wife!!
I could not even begin to think how horrible my already pretty crappy life would
be without music. It would probably be like an even-worse version of Styx's
concept album "Kilroy Was Here" or perhaps the concept half of Rush's "2112"
platter!!! Apparently music has been known to have a soothing effect on people
on the spectrum so that might explain a thing or two!! My "living" room filled with less
than a third of my physical music collection would also strongly attest to that!!!

November 8, 2017 @ 10:16 AM

Steph

For me its disappointment.

Its 'hey great, there's a new Toronto Mike podcast coming out', only to find out its something that I dont like. Its no big deal, just disappointing. Two feeds would change that thou, but its no big deal. Over the summer it was 2, sometimes three deep dives a week, that was awesome. We dont get that now, but its fine.

I'm surprise that there is surprise. its an open forum, mike welcomes feedback, so this is feedback. Its not like he's going to scrap it because some don't like it. He's not getting paid, its a labour of love, he does a great job with it. This particular item isn't my favorite, it isn't other peoples favorite. That's fine.

November 8, 2017 @ 11:40 AM

@Steph

Let me see if I can line up more deep dives for 2018... suggestions welcome!

November 8, 2017 @ 11:49 AM

Jason from Sudbury

I love music. My goto is usually hard rock and heavy metal, but also like some alt rock, classic rock, and even a little bit of rap depending on what it is. For me, the KOTJ's are not only a chance to see what people are into, but the possibility of discovering something I've never heard before. Sure people have had stuff I don't like, but I don't have to listen to the entire song, I can fastforward to the part where the guest starts talking again so its not a big deal.

At the end of the day you can't please everybody. Some will prefer the deep dives, while some prefer KOTJ. Why complain about it though? I don't get it. If you don't like KOTJ, don't listen.

November 8, 2017 @ 1:47 PM

JohnE

Thanks Mike,

Really enjoy KOTJ's.

November 8, 2017 @ 2:42 PM

Steph

@Mike

John Pollock was recently let go by The Fight Network, he probably would have an awesome story to tell, he's been doing that kind of media since he was young.

@Jason

It started when I asked if there was any thought to having Fay do an actual podcast, not a KOJT. Another poster then went at me saying something was 'wrong with me' and it has continued from there. I had no interest in making it a big deal, but when someone comes at you, what can you do?

November 8, 2017 @ 2:56 PM

Urooj Islam

I don't understand why you are so persistent to win people over on the KOTJ format, Mike.

Some people like it, some people won't, not a big deal either way, time to move on.

November 8, 2017 @ 3:10 PM

@Urooj Islam

I'm just pointing out that a KOTJ episode is the same as a deep dive until the jams are played. Just shorter, as someone pointed out.

I'm not saying it's a big deal, and I'm A-OK if some people don't like the format.

November 8, 2017 @ 3:14 PM

WCI

Perhaps Basement Dweller, it's that little "rock snob" attitude of yours peeking out again. And Steph is right, you did jump down her throat. You need to stop imaging what YOU like is the most important thing in the world.

PS. How long did you work in radio? LOLOLOL

November 8, 2017 @ 3:52 PM

@Steph
Not sure why you are still going on about what happened yesterday. I apologized for
mistaking you for someone else with a similar name. If you don't like the KOTJ episodes,
don't listen to them. It is as simple as that. I don't think that I was coming at anyone, just a
case of mistaken identity. The people who prefer the Deep Dives probably wouldn't like it
there were people repeatedly taking the same stance towards those shows as many do about
the KOTJ episodes. Life is too short, live and let live, etc..

November 8, 2017 @ 3:56 PM

Beatts

Here's the cool thing about free to download podcasts.

You don't have to listen if you don't want.

Having said that, I enjoy the KOTJ episodes because they tend to open people up and bring a side out that you my not see in a deep dive episode (e.g. Damien Cox episode).

What I tend to do is skip ahead when the guest picks a song I don't like to the end where they talk about it.... The song bears no interest to me, but the story behind it is what I find entertaining.

My only suggestion to you Mike, disregard what is said on this blog.... Do what makes you happy and you will have listeners regardless. Trying to please everyone is fruitless and will only turn your "passion project" into something which resembles work...

November 8, 2017 @ 4:10 PM

@Beatts

Speaking of passion, do you have any questions for Blake Carter considering I asked her because you suggested it?

November 8, 2017 @ 4:20 PM

@WCI
Never worked in radio, that is probably more your department!! Wasn't jumping down anyone's
throat. Just was a little bit confused about why people get so worked up about something that they
don't even have to listen to in the first place! And, please, don't speak to me of rock snobbery, when you, yourself, have gotten into it with plenty of people on this site, and have more than a little bit of a Holier Than Thou attitude of your very own! How many times have you left disdainful comments about the classic-rock genre and or/picks of many of the previous Jammers?!?

Given the median age and cultural backgrounds of many of the Jammers to date, can you really tell me that you are all that surprised that there hasn't been more hip hop and Justin Bieber? The Internet is beyond vast, nothing is stopping you (or anyone else, for that matter!) from seeking what you require elsewhere!! I made a mistake and apologized for it. No need for you to once again join in with the pile on. P.S., nowhere in this thread did I criticize either the guest or their musical
choices. You, kind sir, are mistaking snobbery for an intense musical passion! Sorry that my
particular tastes don't float your boat (NOT!!).

November 8, 2017 @ 4:21 PM

Prowess

WCI calling someone else a snob is a dramatic demonstration of humbleness and seriously downplays WCI's own significant skill in this area. In fact his prowess reaches heights the likes of which the world has never seen.

November 8, 2017 @ 5:26 PM

Javed Jafri

The proof is in the pudding and the pudding in this case would be listeners and if there are enough listening then continue. What's that expression about a tree falling in the forest ?

A comparison between the two types of podcasts in terms of listeners and production time etc would I think be helpful.

November 8, 2017 @ 7:55 PM

Beatts

Mike,

I don't have any questions off the top of my head. Just the usual deep dive. I know she worked out west for a spell.

She replaced Melanie back in February 2016? I remember it was odd at the time. They cleaned house then immediately hired a similar sounding female morning show host.

I'm bummed they changed their format this week. I hear very little old school dance or hip hop on there now.

November 9, 2017 @ 7:57 AM

Anonymous

@bsmntdwllr73

Please read through the comments, scope is important. Once again, someone went at me asking 'why are you complaining about KOTJ'. And again, I had to say that I had no intention of complaining, I just wanted to ask a question. If that commentor doesn't say that, I dont reply. End of the day there's a pretty easy solution, if you don' t like that people bring up that you went after someone, don't go after anyone. Its just a podcast, I'm not sure the need to be aggressive and mean spirited over it.

November 9, 2017 @ 8:29 AM

Steph

The above anonymous comment should be attributed to me.

November 9, 2017 @ 8:30 AM

Anonymous

@Javed

This is why I would set up two feeds. If KOTJs is good enough to stand on its own feet, then you have another feed and another route for sponsorships. But you never know that until it goes on it’s own. Right now everyone who subscribes gets it automatically, setting up a new feed may show that it’s not nearly that popular, or that it is. Only one way to find out.

November 9, 2017 @ 4:37 PM

dale

Great podcast overall.
Brads KOTJ are in my era & great selections.
Thanks Mike

November 9, 2017 @ 6:39 PM

chuck99

Because of the length of Brad's songs, the topic of radio edits was mentioned a couple of times during the podcast.

I live in the Niagara Peninsula and the local classic rock station always plays the radio edit of Golden Earring's Radar Love. The single version of the song is approximately 5 minutes, which I don't think is too long for the Classic Rock format, but the station persists in playing the radio edit that is 3:44. As a result, listeners never hear the great drum solo in the middle of the song.

Meat Loaf's Bat Out of Hell album made producer Todd Rundgren a wealthy man. Because Meat Loaf was a new artist and had already fired a couple of producers, the record company didn't know if the album would sell. It didn't want to pay Rundgren much money to produce it, so he opted for a percentage of the sales instead. What a shrewd move on his part!

And finally, the suggestion of having the Bobcat's successor on Prime Time Sports be the regular vacation host, has, to a certain extent already been done by CTV News. Lisa Laflamme was the regular Friday host of the National News during the last few years of Lloyd Robertson's tenure and anchored about half of the shows in the weeks leading up to his retirement.

November 14, 2017 @ 12:34 AM

@chuck99
You are totally right about the radio edit of "Radar Love" not being as nearly effective without
that colossal drum solo!! Q107 in Toronto used to sometimes play "Are You Receiving Me" from
the same album occasionally on Psychedelic Sunday and that track was over 9 minutes long!

November 14, 2017 @ 9:58 AM