Roy Halladay, Dead at 40

Roy HalladayRoy Halladay was 40. He was the greatest starting pitcher in Blue Jays history and one of my all-time favourite players. If you search this site for the keyword "halladay" you will find dozens and dozens of entries about the man.

Roy

Here are a few of my favourites:

dale

What a loss as 1 of my all time great BJays. A great player & even a better person.
Blue Jays will miss you forever & my recollections of you are nothing but great.
RIP Doc

November 7, 2017 @ 4:36 PM

The Voice of Reason

He should be a first ballot Hall of Famer.

He did it the right way.

November 7, 2017 @ 4:41 PM

headsup

Such saddening and shocking news. It was always a joy to watch him pitch. Even during the lean years, the Jays always had a shot to win when he was on the mound. A great competitor and an amazing athlete. So sad for us fans and so tragic for his young family.

November 7, 2017 @ 4:41 PM

James Edgar

Wow One of my all time favourites too. Very sad. RIP Doc.

November 7, 2017 @ 5:10 PM

Urooj Islam

Just fucking terrible, so damn sad.

He was going to get into the Hall of Fame over the next couple of years, now it will be even sadder when he eventually does and isn't around to experience the honour.

I'm in total disbelief, one of my all-time favourite athletes.

I'm instantly thinking about 2011 now when I went to his final start in Toronto as a Phillie when he threw another complete game, my last in person memory of the man.

Seriously, fuck this.

November 7, 2017 @ 5:23 PM

Faunie

No words.
One of my favourites as well. Class act on and off the mound.
RIP Roy. We will miss you.

November 7, 2017 @ 8:52 PM

markosaar

His Twitter feed was really depressing to read. He loved that plane.

November 7, 2017 @ 9:07 PM

Be Like Mike

The world has lost a great pitcher - and an even better human being.

RIP, Doc.

November 7, 2017 @ 9:08 PM

Rob J

Coming here simply to extend condolences to the Blue Jays and their fans regarding Halladay's tragic passing.

November 7, 2017 @ 9:54 PM

Cheryl

I wasn't following baseball when he was around, but I know the name or it does sound familiar as I heard his name a lot in the news. 40 is too young. RIP.

November 8, 2017 @ 6:51 AM

Daniel

RIP Doc. Cheering for you was a part of my childhood. You did it the right way, a consummate professional and perfect representative of the Blue Jays

November 8, 2017 @ 8:02 AM

jj

RIP - so young, way too soon - sigh. hope that his family has a great support system to get them through this :(

November 8, 2017 @ 10:03 AM

Urooj Islam

Man, pre-2015 bandwagon, waiting for the weekly Roy Halladay start was one of the greatest joys of being a Blue Jays fan this century.

I'm having a tough time with this.

I hope the team goes all out to commemorate him and support his family.

November 8, 2017 @ 3:22 PM

chris

"Heroes are remembered but Legends are never forgotten"
Doc was a Legend. RIP

November 8, 2017 @ 3:40 PM

Urooj Islam

As if this situation wasn't depressing enough, now there's actual footage of the crash.

November 8, 2017 @ 10:29 PM

Barry

When David Bowie died, I didn't think I'd ever be affected as much by another celebrity death, but I guess I wasn't expecting to lose someone like Doc at such a young age. This hit me hard. I love baseball more than anything (humans aside, of course) and when you've loved a sport and a team for forty years, there's a deep emotional investment. You can accept a loss of an older person, but a 40-year-old who only four short years ago showed his love for Toronto and the Jays by signing a deal to retire as a Blue Jay ... that's gut-wrenching.

I wear a Blue Jays cap every day, and pass many cap-wearing people, but coming home from work that day was a unique experience. Several times I passed others with Jays caps; eyes met, and we knew what was on the other's mind. Coming up from York Mills station I passed a guy entering and he looked like he'd just heard the news -- I probably did too, because I'd been in tears most of the way home. He held up his hand and we did an overhand handshake as we passed. No words. I'll never forget that.

November 10, 2017 @ 9:54 AM

Gary M

Urooj, there is also footage of some spectacularly dangerous flying in the days prior. Not sure what the appropriate length of time is before the nature of this death is discussed, but it raises issues that should be discussed.

November 11, 2017 @ 2:56 AM

JJ

Exactly Gary, No one is actually commenting on the joyriding that he was doing all week long. This plane was a toy for him & he thought he was a fighter pilot flying it. Risky behaviour usually ends in bad results.

Its a loss but a preventable loss.

November 11, 2017 @ 4:28 PM

Gary M

If it had been a gun instead of a plane, the conversation would have started pretty much right away.

November 11, 2017 @ 11:27 PM

chris

Was Roy a Thrill Seeker, sure looks like it. Sorry for his family.

November 14, 2017 @ 6:24 PM