Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 270: Damien Cox Kicks Out the Jams!

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 268In this 270th episode, Mike and Damien Cox play and discuss his ten favourite songs. But first, a frank discussion about his behaviour on Twitter. This episode is exactly 1:59:10.

Become a Patron

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Damien Cox and Me

Toronto Mike'd is proudly brought to you by Great Lakes Brewery, Property in the 6ix and Paytm Canada.

glb   propertyinthesix   paytm

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

Steven

FYI, My download plays Tim 'Boundless' Thompson

October 5, 2017 @ 2:01 PM

@Steven

My bad! Just fixed it.

October 5, 2017 @ 2:25 PM

Marlon

ITunes pod is Tim as well.

October 5, 2017 @ 3:15 PM

The XML is now pointing to the proper MP3, which is http://torontomike.podcastaccelerator.com/270-october-05-2017.mp3.

Some people may need to refresh or reload. In my itunes, it updated automatically, but I guess this depends on your settings....

October 5, 2017 @ 3:17 PM

twins from bolton

1 of the best episodes ever even without KOTJ. Damien was upfront & honest & his choice of songs were great. Cheryl must be in heaven hearing a Segar song picked.
However, you owe me a new carpet as it shrink listening to him explaining his Highway 20 (3rd jam) & your comments also.
Awesome & keep up the great work Mike.

October 5, 2017 @ 4:37 PM

Allyson

I always thought Damien was arrogant and condescending. I just didn't like him.

Now I like him. And this isn't the first time you've done this. I saw on Twitter someone said you humanize the beast. I don't know how you do it, but you did it again.

Great episode. Thank you.

October 5, 2017 @ 4:40 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
First off, congratulations on the new sponsor! Wow, what another fantastic two hours!!
That third pick had me tearing up as well and I'm not even a parent, however I did come
from a broken home where the aftermath was less than idyllic for all concerned.

Two things: #1. Tom Petty had a teenage connection to Don Felder from The Eagles (an
early guitar teacher of his) not Don Henley. #2. You were correct about Heart originally
being considered CanCon as they moved up to Canada and recorded for a BC record
label originally (Mushroom Records). Plus, have to agree with D. Cox about The Beatles'
"For Know One" being an awesome tune (it is my second favourite song of theirs after In My
Life). And yes, I know that yet again I will be criticized and ridiculed for my archaic, dinosaur-
lovin' musical taste. Although at least today I'm in good company!! Thanks again.

October 5, 2017 @ 4:48 PM

bsmntdwllr73

Sorry, brainfart. That Beatles song should have obviously read as For No One!
Must have confused it with some obscure prog-rock number when I originally
typed my previous comment!

October 5, 2017 @ 5:01 PM

Welcome, PayTM! Let's show the new sponsor that we appreciate their support!

Visit www.paytm.ca and download the app for free on your smartphone. Then, use promocode "torontomike" to get $10 off on your first bill payment.

Manage all your bills in one spot with PayTM and get paid to do it.

And no, TM does not stand for Toronto Mike. :)

October 5, 2017 @ 5:02 PM

@Allyson

My ability to humanize the beast reminds of Marge's paintings... she could find the positive in any subject, until she met Monty Burns. Maybe my Monty Burns is Marty York. :)

October 5, 2017 @ 5:06 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Nice Simpsons reference!!

October 5, 2017 @ 5:07 PM

@bsmntdwllr73

I'm full of them!

From the first ten seasons at least...

October 5, 2017 @ 5:09 PM

Allyson

@Toronto Mike

You made me like Mike Wilner and Damien Cox. You deserve a Pulitzer.

October 5, 2017 @ 5:10 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Wow, you were totally dedicated to Homer & the gang. my friend was a fanatic
from day 1 and he bailed out as a regular viewer somewhere between the 8th and
9th seasons. Oh yeah, has the one-song-per-artist rule been lifted? Not complaining,
as the Boss deserves numerous places in all KOTJ episodes, just curious.

October 5, 2017 @ 5:12 PM

@bsmntdwllr73

Let's call the "one song per artist" rule a soft rule.

October 5, 2017 @ 5:17 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Great, 'cause I'm holding out for a KOTJ top ten of all Milli Vanilli jams!!
Not hating, being serious!! Frank Farian, their Svengali, was also the mastermind
behind the immortal Boney M.

October 5, 2017 @ 5:21 PM

Urooj Islam

12:36 must be so happy that you finally brought up his infamous Twitter.

October 5, 2017 @ 9:08 PM

@Urooj Islam

We'll see if I make tomorrow's issue.

October 5, 2017 @ 9:25 PM

Just woke up to learn the server blew up late last night. So I'm re-uploading episodes so they're available again.

I apologize for the delay, but this ep (and Brunt, then the others) should be back online by 7:45am.

October 6, 2017 @ 7:24 AM

markosaar

I'm confused. Are there two Damien Coxes? This one is definitely a different guy than the last one you had on.

October 6, 2017 @ 11:23 AM

markosaar

(The episode was great. I enjoyed reading his columns as a kid in the 90s and was really disappointed the first time he was on. Glad he was into it this time around!)

October 6, 2017 @ 11:24 AM

@markosaar

I've been trying to process his.

Episode 110 Cox was a little crusty and cold and wouldn't wear his headphones and I couldn't tell if he even had a decent time. I was legit surprised he wanted to come back.

Episode 270 Cox was warm and even sweet... I sensed he was a guy tired of wearing a curmudgeon mask the way McCown wears his. He confessed the hate for him hurts and shared a side of himself I don't think any of us have ever seen.

I like episode 270 Cox...

October 6, 2017 @ 11:26 AM

Gregor

The reason Cox was civil is simple: meds. He's on them now.

October 6, 2017 @ 1:27 PM

Beatts

Listened to this for the second time today. This is up there with Brunt's in terms of fantastic episodes.

Great job Damien and Mike.

November 1, 2017 @ 5:20 PM