Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 267: Tim Thompson Kicks Out the Jams!

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 267In this 267th episode, Mike and Tim "Boundless" Thompson play and discuss his ten favourite songs. This episode is exactly 1:49:21.

Become a Patron

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Tim Thompson and Me

Toronto Mike'd is proudly brought to you by Great Lakes Brewery and Property in the 6ix

Great Lakes Beer propertyinthesix.com

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

chris

Was Tim's mike on as could hardly hear him?

September 18, 2017 @ 5:06 PM

@chris

You bailed too early. He gets louder as it progresses. He's just a very soft spoken dude.

September 18, 2017 @ 5:08 PM

chris

Soft Spoken for sure. If you have a guest that I cannot hear, Kick Out of Mic's.

September 18, 2017 @ 6:43 PM

@chris

Like I said, he gets louder as he goes. By the time the jams show up, it's fine, and his stories are stellar.

I had his mic jacked.

September 18, 2017 @ 7:11 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Interesting guest, great stories and some nice picks (the Jadea Kelly track is
a real beaut!) but the overall energy of this episode was a little too low-key for
this here feller. A humble suggestion: a potential future sponsor to provide energy
bars and or/drinks for those who might need them. Two more things:
#1. The mythical Parkdale sung about by Cuff The Duke and other area artists is
rather foreign to my own personal experience and more suburban origins!!
#2. "Patience" was released towards the end of 1988.

September 18, 2017 @ 7:30 PM

@bsmntdwllr73

I've had two episodes now with Tim, and he's just a soft spoken guy. It's not low energy, just the way he's wired. But nobody hears a lyric like he does... his ability to marry a song to images is second to none.

September 18, 2017 @ 7:33 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
That he did do very well (descriptively!). My own two cents on The Hip, if I may:
Best two albums: Road Apples and Day For Night. Love me some
"Little Bones" and "Greasy Jungle"!!

September 18, 2017 @ 7:39 PM

Mike Stafford, the professional veteran broadcaster, knows how to use a mic. He sounded great, and brought the killer content.

Tim doesn't rock the mic like Stafford, but his content is just as compelling IMHO. I don't mean to sound defensive, I've only met the guy twice, I just think the way he interprets music is pretty damn cool.

September 18, 2017 @ 7:48 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Mike Stafford is in a class of his own along with Larry Fedoruk. It's just a
personal preference: I don't handle low-key voices very well. Mr. Thompson
definitely knows his music and his largely Canadian focus set him apart from most
of his KOTJ predecessors. Maybe I watched too many episodes of The Incredible Hulk
as a wee lad and identified with its titular lead too strongly?!? Sorry if I continued along
an earlier posters' train of thought!

September 18, 2017 @ 8:00 PM

@bsmntdwllr73

I didn't mean to sound all "stop complaining and just listen". Nobody is obligated to listen. :)

I hear what you're saying about low-key voices... on that note, how's my voice?

September 18, 2017 @ 8:10 PM

Here's the video Tim spoke about, featuring footage of Terry Fox set to Jadea Kelly's Beauty.

September 18, 2017 @ 8:36 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Very moving video!!

September 19, 2017 @ 9:20 AM

Tyler Campbell

Obviously I don't know Tim personally, but I get the sense from this episode and his previous one, that this is his personality. He's thoughtful and soft-spoken. I had my headphones on at the same volume as I listen to all podcasts at, and I could hear him just fine. To each their own of course, but I think one of the great things about this series is not only hearing the songs and why each person likes them, but that you really get a deeper look at what makes each guest tick. I thought this was the best KOTJ episode yet.

September 19, 2017 @ 9:56 AM

Tyler Campbell

The conversation about Nautical Disaster and how Gord would insert lyrics from songs he was working on into live performances reminded me of the first time I heard Nautical Disaster. The Kumbaya Festival from September 1993 at the Ontario Place Forum. I wasn't there, but it was broadcast on MuchMusic. They played the whole song in the breakdown of New Orleans Is Sinking. Great performance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59H0bxpYxyo

September 19, 2017 @ 1:06 PM

The Voice of Reason

@Mike

As you know I am not a fan, but hopefully Tim swapped T-shirts. As DLR would say "That suit is you".

September 19, 2017 @ 3:33 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Your voice is great but you sound a lot huskier on your own podcast than
you did during that Pete Fowler community radio station interview!!! Don't
fret too hard on that one: I hate the sound of my own voice! Although back in
my days as a regular caller to the Jim Richards Nightside show on Newstalk 1010,
I was once propositioned on air from a supposedly sexy librarian from Guelph!!
Had to turn her down as I had no way to get out there. Another caller vouched
for her attractiveness. It's amazing what you could get away with on the radio in
the wee hours of the morning during the late nineties!

September 19, 2017 @ 3:36 PM

Jason from Sudbury

I'm looking forward to this. I enjoyed Tim's first appearance so this should be good.

September 19, 2017 @ 8:13 PM

Anon&on

Bernie. Ha!

September 19, 2017 @ 8:55 PM

Harles

Very good KOTJ episode. Had no problem hearing Tim and his back stories were probably some of the best of all your KOTJ episodes.

September 25, 2017 @ 11:50 AM

@Harles

Agreed! Thanks for listening!

September 26, 2017 @ 11:42 AM