Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 266: 12:36

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 266In this 266th episode, Mike chats with Marc Weisblott of 12:36 about the current state of the media in Canada. This episode is exactly 2:04:23.

Become a Patron

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

12:36 and Me

Toronto Mike'd is proudly brought to you by Great Lakes Brewery, Property in the 6ix and Paytm Canada.

Great Lakes Beer propertyinthesix.com

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

bsmntdwllr73

Love the 1236 episodes but have to admit that the first 40 minutes were a little
bit too political, wouldn't want to encourage a whole a lot of Trump-BS rhetoric
form the zealots! Loved the J.D. Roberts anecdote, though!!

September 14, 2017 @ 5:37 PM

bsmntdwllr73

Sorry, should have read "from the zealots!"

September 14, 2017 @ 5:39 PM

bsmntdwllr73

Attention to all Toronto Mike listeners: Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit, Blind Melon
and Third Eye Blind were all horrible in their heyday and even more so today!!
As I posted when Chester B. passed away, I felt bad for his family and friends, but
he was no musical giant. The same with Shannon Hoon, although I would sooner
listen to a Blind Melon album 'cause at least the music was interesting!!

September 14, 2017 @ 6:01 PM

Urooj Islam

Is there any talk about where Ann Rohmer has gone?

September 14, 2017 @ 6:07 PM

Urooj Islam

@ Toronto Mike

Thanks!

Totally missed that.

September 14, 2017 @ 9:11 PM

markosaar

1. Weisblott reminded me a lot of Dan Cronin's Common Sense podcast, in a good way.

2. @bsmntdwllr73, Blind Melon, really? Besides that one hit? I thought they were a bit GnR-inspired/derivative, but I didn't think they were that bad. (But I agree on the other three.)

Actually on hindsight, I think even 3rd Eye Blind was ... just fine. Kind of amusing as subversive pop music. (Semi-Charmed Life being about meth.)

September 14, 2017 @ 11:59 PM

Javed Jafri

Always find Marc W episodes interesting and listening right now. RIP Grant Hart, surprised that Marc did not mention Husker Du's cover of the Mary Tyler Moore theme.

Speaking of Much Music that is a place during the late 1980's that featured a lot of the cutting edge music that radio was not exposing. I have a lot of their content saved and there's Husker Du and Bob Mould ( remember City Limits).

Have been following Grant Heart's health on the Steve Hoffman forums. They have had a thread on the topic for a while and now they are talking about his death. That's a music freak and audiophile forum where they hate MP3's. Love analog and talk about high resolution digital files.

September 15, 2017 @ 7:51 AM

bsmntdwllr73

Sorry if I offended anyone with my cri de coeur about the sorry state of '90s
alternative rock but a lot of it was just a poor excuse for music. Blind Melon
could have been a contender if not for their whiny vocals and his premature
death, as their musicianship was quite good. My biggest complaint about Third
Eye Blind is less a musical one and more the fact that their lead singer and creative
braintrust, Stephan Jenkins, first defiled a very young Charlize Theron and then the early
aughts one and a half hit wonder Vanessa Carlton!! "Never Let You Go" was a tight
jam, though!! P.S., Presidents of the United States of America, now that was a bitchin'
'90s band. Say, does anyone know where I can get me a basitar and/or a guitbass?!?

September 15, 2017 @ 9:24 AM

I still enjoyed Linkin Park... and I don't care if it's cool or not. :P

September 15, 2017 @ 9:28 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Never had a problem with Mike from Linkin P. it was Chester B. I could
never deal with. "Where'd You Go" by Mike Shinoda's side project Fort
Minor featuring Holly Brook wasn't a bad song. Believe me, I have no right
criticizing the musical taste(s) of anyone as I have a rather large and quite
unimpressive collection of Hair Metal tapes and CDs gathering moss in an
overpriced storage locker!!!

September 15, 2017 @ 9:37 AM

Rick C in Oakville

Wow long episode, but Marc doesn't disappoint. Could care less about Linkin Park etc., I am not their demographic anyways. Buttt, their new release just sounded too poppy from what I recall of their original material.

September 18, 2017 @ 9:41 PM

Steven

Thanks Mike, always enjoy these ones.

With regards to RRS feeds, I think your on point. You only can get a true feel for the popularity of 'Pump out the Jams' if it was on its own feed. Im not a fan, but I downloand them out of support and because they are downloaded automatically.

You should totally do whatever you like, but I can say personally I prefer the two, that way I can keep a clean archive of active audio to listen to, I kinda get 'meh' when its a 'kick out the jams' episode.

September 19, 2017 @ 11:46 AM

Ima Fakeologist

Why do I always get aggravated when I listen to Marc? How do these cultural observers pay the bills? Fix the format of your emails Marc so they're readable on a smartphone.

September 20, 2017 @ 8:28 AM

Ima Fakeologist

Mike your episode notes links in the rss feed point to the main page.

September 20, 2017 @ 8:29 AM

@1236

thanks for coming here to repeat what you already told me! complaint about the emails was registered with those who control it — it's not me, hence somebody pays these bills, get it?

September 20, 2017 @ 8:47 AM

@1236

... p.s. it's Campaign Monitor software being used, if it doesn't work on every combination of phone and app, all out of my hands

September 20, 2017 @ 8:49 AM

@Steven

I hear you... I'm still thinking on this one... I did create a stand-alone feed for KOTJ episodes, but that won't help you.

I will chime in though to say the first 20-30 minutes of a KOTJ episode is really a standard deep dive. I try and catch up since their last visit and ask any lingering tough questions. Heck, Sophia broke a significant story during this portion of her KOTJ episode.

So if the jams have you meh, maybe stop listening after the sponsor mentions. :)

September 20, 2017 @ 9:00 AM

@Ima Fakeologist

In five years you're the first person to notice this.

I've been doing that because:

a) I publish the xml before I create the permalink
b) I honestly didn't think anyone clicked the episode link that's in the xml

But now that I know someone is clicking, I'll make sure it's proper. I just changed it for the last two episodes.

September 20, 2017 @ 9:01 AM

bsmntdwllr73

Can't we all just get along!?! Where is the love, people?!?!

September 20, 2017 @ 9:07 AM

@bsmntdwllr73

Lots of love! Heck, @Steven even downloads episodes he doesn't listen to to support the show. That's true love, IMHO!

As for @Ima Fakeologist, he believes Wayne Gretzky was born a woman, so there ya go. :)

September 20, 2017 @ 9:08 AM

bsmntdwllr73

Is there a thread or a particular comment dedicated to these most heinous,
unfounded gender accusations against The Great One? If not, then there most
definitely should be, and it could be soundtracked by a brief clip from Kim
Mitchell's cheesy 1984 video "That's a Man"!!

September 20, 2017 @ 9:17 AM

Al The Royal Pain

Great episode. That was an EPIC impromptu monologue by Marc in the middle of it. I was listening on my commute home and near the end of Marc's rant (?) I started to ask myself, "Has Mike said ANYTHING in the past 10 minutes?" Sure enough, you confirmed that he had been speaking for about that long uninterrupted...and the thing was, I was riveted!

Looking forward to his next appearance.

September 20, 2017 @ 10:14 AM

Steven

Mike

Quick reminder, when you have Cox on, ask him about the twitter selfie. I promise ill listen to that KOTJ episode if you do lol.

September 20, 2017 @ 2:37 PM

@Steven

I promise I will.

September 20, 2017 @ 2:50 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike,
Who do you think is the most likely among the following to ever make good on
their long-sworn promises to appear on Toronto Mike: Ann Rohmer, Andy Frost, or
Damien Cox? How's Mr. Cox doing with whittling his KOTJ list down to the prescribed ten
selections?!? Inquiring minds want to know!!! And what ever happened with Dalton Pompey
and his dad, the former dancer of Electric Circus infamy? To me, a far more fascinating bit
of downtown T.O. lore than the many retirement parties of cake and Keg Gift Cards for Ms.
Rohmer! Sorry (not really!) if I dredged up a sore spot for any other Toronto Mike regulars!!!

September 20, 2017 @ 4:25 PM

@bsmntdwllr73

I think all three will visit, but Damo is definitely happening. He pitched me a day and time but I wasn't available. And, he's sent me his ten jams, so he's into it.

Dalton had a rough, injury riddled year. He never did suit up for the Jays, so my dream of hearing him walk up to the plate to Summertime Summertime was never realized. He even deleted his twitter account, which was how I corresponded with him.

I believe both Ann and Andy will visit... I've given the Ann update, and I just have to keep poking Andy.

September 20, 2017 @ 4:32 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Did you know about and/or were you able to make it out to last weekend's
25th anniversary Strange Paradise event at the Velvet Underground? Not that
I ever attended back in the day but used to listen to the live broadcast sometimes.

September 20, 2017 @ 4:42 PM

@bsmntdwllr73

I did not, but I sure spent a lot of time at Strange Paradise at the Phoenix back in the 90s...

September 20, 2017 @ 7:20 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Sounds like that was a lot of fun! I spent most of the early to mid '90s endlessly in
the fetal position sobbing about the untimely demise of Hair Metal!!
#TeresaRonconWuzSmkngHtBckNtheDay!!!!