Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 265: Mike Stafford Kicks Out the Jams!

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 265In this 265th episode, Mike and Mike Stafford play and discuss his ten favourite songs. This episode is exactly 1:13:53.

Become a Patron

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Mike Stafford and Me

Toronto Mike'd is proudly brought to you by Great Lakes Brewery and Property in the 6ix

Great Lakes Beer propertyinthesix.com

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

Judy Lott

Excellent podcast and great tunes.....Hey Mike I knew we made out in the 80s!😉🍻👍
Judy

September 12, 2017 @ 4:00 PM

Judy Lott

Oops make that 1974!...

September 12, 2017 @ 4:07 PM

Miker

Great fun today Mr. Boon. I'm being told I should give up and just shave what's left of the hair. Which always looks good after a blow dry in the morning. Bloody work headphones destroy my 'do. And yes, Judy, we made out in '74 but no second base until '84. When Frankie told me to "Relax".

September 12, 2017 @ 5:18 PM

bsmntdwllr73

What a fantastic guest and some incredible choices: Neil Diamond, Warren
Zevon, and The Raspberries just can't be beat. Can't wait for the next KOTJ
episode! I'd mainline these suckers if I could and I'm hardcore anti-drug except
for music, that is!! P.S., Mike's number one pick is my favourite song from that
particular artist. The jazz group The Bad Plus does an excellent instrumental version
of said tune, if anyone is in a musical exploratory mood!

September 12, 2017 @ 5:34 PM

dale

@Mike
Best KOJM's episode as I can relate to all his songs.
HOWEVER Stafford - Imagine by John Lennon comment was inappropriate.
Imagine by Lennon would be on my list.

September 12, 2017 @ 8:27 PM

Cambo

Did Mike get his case of GLB beer?

September 12, 2017 @ 8:28 PM

The Voice of Reason

Bell Bottom Blues...... great pick by Stafford.

September 13, 2017 @ 10:27 AM

Mike Hunt

That was excellent as were the back stories. Not really a surprise from a guy with a memory like his.

September 13, 2017 @ 1:51 PM

Gregor

Great comment by Mike on imagine. Totally spot on.

September 13, 2017 @ 2:31 PM

Javed Jafri

Great listen. The story about the coda from Layla being stolen from Rita Coolidge has been expanded on by Rita herself in an interview she did with Graham Nash. Not too long ago. On You Tube and quite enjoyable.

Can't beat the Raspberries for Power Pop and they were a lot more than one hit wonders.

The Zappa track that Mark H played on his KOTJ's was Peaches En Regalia from Hot Rats. Jazz rock at it's best.

Finally a bit of Warren Zevon Trivia. He got his start in the 1960's as a song writer and The Turtles recorded a track by him Called Outside Chance which sounds like a certifiable garage rock classic. He also was in a duo called Lyme and Cybill that recorded an excellent single on White Whale records called Follow Me. The single got some air play in southern California and here it is:

September 13, 2017 @ 10:59 PM

Javed Jafri

Also kudos to Mike for mentioning Alex Chilton . His Big Star deserved credit beyond being Power Pop cult heroes. Thankfully his previous band The Box Tops had a number one in 1967 and scored quite the collection of hits. This appearance on Upbeat by the Box Tops is fun b/c of the group making obvious mischief of the lip syncing:

September 13, 2017 @ 11:44 PM

Ima Fakeologist

Mike is such a cool smart guy. Thanks for the Propaganda by Duel suggestion. Can't stop listening to it now.

September 14, 2017 @ 8:20 AM

Anonymous

Mike is known as "The King of all trivia" and here's a trivial fact. I checked on the Warren Zevon single that he did as part of the duo of Lyme and Cybelle and it actually made the Billboard Hot 100 peaking at # 65 in April 1966 and so it must have received air play beyond southern California. I just never heard it until it was released on a Rhino records comp in the 1980's.

September 14, 2017 @ 10:35 AM

Rick C in Oakville

Great KOTJ, Mike is a very interesting character.
Don't go full shave Mike, being as follicly challenged, I go for the crazy past middle aged hair all over look!

September 15, 2017 @ 8:32 AM

bsmntdwllr73

After at least a baker's dozen KOTJ episodes it isn't surprising that there hasn't
been a lot of jazzy picks to date, minus some fine crooning from the likes of Frank
Sinatra, Louis Prima and perhaps Dean Martin, if memory serves? Big fan of jazz and
jazz fusion and it would be great if perhaps some of that type of music eventually turned
up on some lists. Maybe some folks from JazzFm need to drop by? But I guess they'd
have to undertake a Deep Dive session first. Maybe Dani Elwell would be game?!?

September 15, 2017 @ 1:23 PM

@bsmntdwllr73

I've been trying to get Dani Elwell to visit for years now. She's finally agreed to do it this autumn. If all goes well with her deep dive, I'll get her back to kick out the jams.

September 15, 2017 @ 3:24 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Good luck with that! It would be nice to hear some late '60s Miles Davis,
Al Di Meola, or Pat Metheny on a future KOTJams episode!!

September 15, 2017 @ 4:06 PM

JR

Fabulous show, and I usually don't listen to KOTJ. I can relate to that LCBO, I too was in that same last age 18 cohort, and also the 2nd street LCBO, I had to fill out the form and bring it to the counter, one of the last to do that. Nice that you know your New Toronto/Mimico/Long Branch, since I'm from there.

Best thing about Stafford is the context he gives everything. I like his non-committal comment about AM640 (going down the drain since the shuffle IMO). We listened to this driving home from Collingwood to the GTA, filled the time perfectly.

September 15, 2017 @ 6:49 PM

Rick C in Oakville

@JR, wish Mike had the morning slot on AM640, I could listen to his show on my commutes, as i currently can only steal some time from my employer to listen to his Fast and Furious Fridays ( I am a car fanatic and this is the only radio I hear related to anything automobile).

September 16, 2017 @ 11:07 PM