The Fan 590 Turns 25: Alumni Who Have Appeared on Toronto Mike'd

The Fan is 25 years old today. The first all-sports radio station in the country, it was a big deal when 1430 flipped. We had a World Series champion baseball team and an exciting Stanley Cup contender.

Many hosts and former hosts of The Fan 1430 / 590 have visited me to appear on my podcast. Here's a list for those interested in the history of the station. I suggest starting with Nelson Millman.

chuck99

There was some incredible talent in that opening day line-up. Dan Schulman hosted an early afternoon show. He was followed by the Bobcat at 4 pm.

Its hard to believe that Jim Richards and Norm Rumack hosted a late night show together, but as Norm explained on Toronto Mike'd, both were new to sports talk and it gave them some experience before they flew solo on their own shows.

The morning show with Mike Inglis was the only program failure. By January, he was replaced by the Bobcat and Dan Schulman became the new host of Prime Time Sports.

September 4, 2017 @ 4:13 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Wow, incredible number of guests from one station. I only occasionally listen to sports radio, but have listened to every episode just to hear the different perspectives each guest has to offer.

September 4, 2017 @ 4:47 PM

TWP

Wonderful list I can choose to listen.

September 4, 2017 @ 7:45 PM

Anon&on

My lunch bag letdown- in all those interviews, you didn't get one call from Clifton or Allen Expressway.

September 4, 2017 @ 8:23 PM

saintpeeter

What a way for the Fan to start - The Leafs were contenders and the Jays were on their way to a World Series championship.

Looking(listening) back, we could not appreciate the kind of talent there was - very informative and entertaining. As with many other things today, the quality and content on radio and TV in both sports and news is not as good, Back then, The Fan, and other talk radio was very good because the on-air personalities had personality and the insane political correctness and identity politics had not infected the media yet. Practically all media today is nothing but corporate shilling, virtue signalling and empty mindless cliches.

Great memories, but those days are gone.

September 4, 2017 @ 8:50 PM

H.o.E.

The biggest reason they're less significant than they were is that there are now so many more sources of information, talk, and entertainment available elsewhere, mainly on the internet, that are more immediate and specific to individual interests. I think at one point they had updates every 20 minutes. And they had lots of phone-in segments (then as now, stupid, pointless and annoying) just to fill time, that have now been made obsolete by social media.
I'm not exactly sure what has supposedly disappeared due to alleged "political correctness", other than maybe one or two of Mike Richards' ethnically based impersonations/characters on the morning show that were already outdated and kind of cringe-inducing at the time anyway.

September 5, 2017 @ 11:53 AM

Jonathan J Giggs

Shouldn't Brian Williams be included in that list?

September 5, 2017 @ 9:35 PM

@Jonathan J Giggs

For Grapeline?

It's a bit of a stretch, but what the heck, I'll add him!

September 5, 2017 @ 9:39 PM

Urooj Islam

Now, I got Don Landry's Brian Williams impression in my head again!

It's fantastic!

September 5, 2017 @ 10:51 PM

Jonathan Giggs

Brian Williams and Don Cherry were heavily promoted at the Fan's inception, including in print ads.

September 6, 2017 @ 2:46 PM

H.o.E.

I listened to the first few minutes of the Barb DiGiulio one, as I liked hearing her when she was part of the morning show and she always seemed to be having fun and be in a good mood. You asked her about watching the World Cup, and I think the closest I heard her to being annoyed happened when she was taking phone calls just as a World Cup or Euro was starting, and the first caller was repeatedly referring to the "Eye-talian" team, as though he was purposefully stressing that mispronunciation to bother her.

September 7, 2017 @ 6:38 PM