Open Mike

Welcome to this week's Open Mike. I'm Mike and I'll be your master of ceremonies for the day.

Open Mike on Toronto Mike

Cheryl

I'm first again. This is great. I can't remember when I was last not first. How about those Indians. They won again yesterday. Jason Kipnis homered and Yan Gomes homered. They won 100 games already. My Diamondbacks and Orioles were off yesterday. It will be Indians and Diamondbacks to the World Series. My Habs better start winning soon. My Coyotes lost again last night. Why do they have to keep losing. Well, I need a winning football weekend. I need my Ravens, Browns, and Cardinals to all win on Sunday. I hate junk mail. I got some yesterday. It wasn't from Rogers or bell. It was from somebody bugging me about donating. Don't waste your time. I'm not donating to people I don't know. I am retired. Money is limited. Save some trees by cutting out sending junk mail. I don't need junk mail.

September 29, 2017 @ 8:19 AM

The Voice of Reason

@Cheryl

The Coyotes are in preseason mode. These games don't actually count in the standings. These games are used by management to evaluate talent and give some younger players exposure to the faster pace of the NHL.

Don't you worry, I am sure the Coyotes will win at least 20 games this season.

September 29, 2017 @ 9:04 AM

Al The Royal Pain

My band has just signed on to play a Rogers Hometown Hockey festival! We're going to be performing durning their stop in Orillia on Sunday, November 5th. When I meet Ron Maclean, I'm going to tell him how much I enjoyed his appearance on Toronto Mike'd. :P

September 29, 2017 @ 9:07 AM

@Al The Royal Pain

That's awesome!!

September 29, 2017 @ 9:19 AM

bsmntdwllr73

If anyone on here fondly remembers the '90s California power pop band Jellyfish, their
keyboardist Roger Joseph Manning Jr. has a great song called "Wish It Would Rain" (2006)
that is a perfect fit for today's much needed precipitation!! Imagine a cross between The
Beach Boys, The Partridge Family and The Cowsills and you have nearly 6 minutes of pure
pop bliss!

September 29, 2017 @ 9:50 AM

Elba

Mike, is Ann Rohmer okay? I'm starting to worry...

September 29, 2017 @ 10:21 AM

@Elba

Ann Rohmer is sidelined with Muscle Tension Dysphonia (MTD). She tells me she feels fine and is in great shape, but she can't talk. She will be back on CP24 (and hopefully my podcast) when she recovers.

September 29, 2017 @ 10:27 AM

m m

Since you cover some of the media moves here, it's time to commemorate the removal of community channel 10 in at least Toronto, and possibly a few other markets. Bell and Rogers successfully cried to CRTC that they were in a financial squeeze, and CRTC bought it hook, line and sinker. CHannel 10 was important to many communities in Toronto, as well as showing new talent that later got big, like that show Buzz, and Tom Green, although he started on the community channel in Ottawa.

September 29, 2017 @ 10:57 AM

@m m

So many people who have visited cut their teeth on cable 10.

You mentioned Buzz and Tom Green, but also Ed the Sock (with Harland Williams!), Mike Wilner, Caroline Cameron, Carly Agro and so many others.

I'm pretty sure Michael Landsberg started there. It was a place where you could get TV time and develop your skills. Now I suppose that place is YouTube....

September 29, 2017 @ 11:00 AM

m m

You could make an argument that we all now have an HD camera in our hands. Youtube definitely has the largest reach. But community channels had a very valuable role in each market. They were also a bridge from amateur to pro. I could be wrong, but I haven't seen a broadcaster move from Youtube or podcasting to pro TV or radio. Not including musicians, many have made that move already. This loss will be felt over time, and it's too bad that Rogers and Bell got away with this. Sorry, I know this is not a CRTC discussion forum.

September 29, 2017 @ 11:56 AM

@m m

Because the successful YouTubers won't take the pay cut! :)

September 29, 2017 @ 11:58 AM

Ryan G

The death of community tv was inevitable. The key problem was that it was extremely valuable on some fronts, and a colossal waste of money on others. If you were a volunteer, you gained incredible practical knowledge without spending thousands to go to Ryerson's RTA program. If you were a local politician you got free access to a powerful medium on a primetime slot on the dial. If you were little Johnny's pee wee hockey team, you'd see your games on tv and feel like a superstar.

But, aside from a few low budget gems, including the meticulously produced Toronto show Structures, nobody watched it and therefore, it wasn't a sustainable entity since it wasn't making any money. In fact, it was structured to not make money when it was created in the early days, and that model simply got old and never caught up. In the late 90's a tiny window was opened to allow some degree of advertising on the channel but it was cumbersome and too limiting for advertisers to spend money on it (viewership numbers were never really made available to advertisers, but everyone suspected they were statistically insignificant anyway), but in reality, many companies just stayed away because they didn't want their brands associated with the stigma of community programming. And when we began seeing conventional news programming go away , and along with it, many jobs, the picture was becoming clearer as to how Rogers, Shaw,etc would proceed. Public access tv, Cable 10, community television, Rogers TV...whatever iteration it was known as, was simply no longer sustainable. So all of this combined with the fact that YouTube played a significant part in killing the Community TV star, spelled a certain end, and in fact I'm surprised it made it this far.

September 29, 2017 @ 12:04 PM

Urooj Islam

Rain! Glorious rain!

Thank you, Josh Donaldson!

September 29, 2017 @ 12:06 PM

m m

To be fair, community TV's purpose was never about financials, meaning it was known that it wouldn't turn a profit, nor was it supposed to. The big players (rogers, Bell, and its predecessors in the past) were required to serve each community, as a barter for having licences in each market and the right to reap huge profits off those. The death was due to years-long lobbying which the fed regulator finally gave them, for some reason we won't know.
Yes, I liked Structures, Ed the Sock, the movie review folks, etc. I don't follow hockey, but I remember an OHL roundup/talk show.

September 29, 2017 @ 12:36 PM

The Voice of Reason

@m m

This is frustrating since Rogers asked the CRTC to allow them to re direct the funding to CITY TV and OMNI newscasts. Bell had few years prior to this decision proposed to combine the community TV funding into a single shared channel for each community. The catch was the shared channels would not be corporately branded "Rogers" or "Bell" much like community TV is in the United states. Rogers would not stand to lose their corporate brand on something they have controlled for 45 years in favor of the public's best interests. Sadly that means let the channels die a slow death and reclaim the public funding for their own commercial interests!!

September 29, 2017 @ 12:40 PM

m m

Yup, pretty much that sums it up. It's the public's loss. Too bad.

September 29, 2017 @ 1:21 PM

GUNTer

@torontomike
in case you didnt see it already - thought you might enjoy this family biking article.....

September 29, 2017 @ 1:40 PM

Ryan G

I know a guy who worked in community tv in the 80's, and they ran out of shows to air one night and had to fill about an hour of time, and I believe they had to do it live, so he simply set up a camera outside and shot off a shitload of fireworks from the trunk of his car.

September 29, 2017 @ 2:21 PM

@Ryan G

And that person was you!

September 29, 2017 @ 2:30 PM

@GUNTer

That's quite the bike!

Here's my bike trailer story with a Costo twist.

A few weeks ago, I shared the story about our bike trailer breaking at Queenston Heights. Well, this was purchased from Costco online a couple of years ago, but Costco (which has exceptional customer service) agreed to refund us every penny if we became Costco members.

So... we pay $60 to become a member, and they give us our $300 back. Of course we did it.

Now I needed a new trailer for the two little ones... it turns out my buddy had one collecting dust in his garage because his kids have grown too big for it. He gave it to me. I love it... and use it often. Every Wednesday night, for example, I threw the two little ones in the trailer and biked to my 3-year old's soccer game.

Now I also use this for groceries. But not as efficiently as the guy in video. I do frequent trips to the No Frills to buy less food more often, so usually my patented "two reusable bags attached to my back pack" is suffice. You'd be surprised how much I get in there.

September 29, 2017 @ 2:36 PM

Ryan G

@Toronto Mike.

I'd love to take credit for that stunt because it really speaks to the freeform experimental nature of the place back then, but alas I cannot. I did spend some time in that world, but many years later.

You know what though, you could produce a comedy show based around the people and shenanigans at a public access channel - approach it like Curb/the office with dry comedy (and no fkng laugh track). It really was a totally different culture than conventional television..with peculiar personalities and stories unique to that world. Case in point. I remember one time someone called in to the station with a complaint. See, there was this cringey show featuring seniors who'd come on and do exercises in chairs - a low impact sorta thing for older folks who wanted to keep the blood flowing. Great cable access show right! But it's just one of those shows that they'd fill holes with for years, airing in the afternoons. Anyway, the person who called in complained that we should pull a particular episode because it featured her grandmother... who died three years earlier.

September 29, 2017 @ 3:29 PM

Cheryl

Well, how about those Indians. Great win last night. Trevor Bauer pitched a real gem. Jay Bruce homered. My Orioles and Diamondbacks both lost though. It sucks. My Habs finally won a game. They'll be winning when it counts and my Coyotes will as well. Now stop sending me junk mail. I don't need it. You can save trees by not using so much paper and junk mail uses paper. If it's not Rogers or Bell, it's something else.

September 30, 2017 @ 8:20 AM

Dr. Seymour Light

I travel for business and have experienced aborted plane landings before, but this week was a first. Not one, but two aborts on a flight to Chicago. Plane is in descent, close to landing and a full engine rev and the plane goes straight up and re circles for another landing attempt. Never had two on a flight before. Weird thing is weather was excellent. Once we landed and docked, pilot apologized but no mention of why we had the aborts.

September 30, 2017 @ 9:43 AM

H.o.E.

The Comedy Festival (JFL42), in the last of its ten days, I think again shows that Toronto needs a purpose-built indoor music/performance venue of something like 5-7000 seats, perhaps similar to the one at Rama (which has had many shows by stand-up comedians in addition to music events). Some of the headline acts for the comedy festival do multiple shows at the 3000 seat Sony Centre, and there isn't any other good larger indoor venue except hockey arenas, and they really aren't suitable and may be busy with other things. I don't know how busy throughout the year beyond the CNE that some of those buildings at Exhibition Place (Better Living Centre, Queen Elizabeth Building, Food Building) are, but I would think at least one of them would be a good candidate to be demolished and replaced if a good proposal was made to do so.

September 30, 2017 @ 11:03 AM

Urooj Islam

@ H.o.E.

Which comedians did you see?

The line-ups are pretty boring, seems like organizers just look at who has the top Netflix specials and just book those people. No one interested me this year outside of Tom Segura.

September 30, 2017 @ 2:57 PM

H.o.E.

^ I saw Bill Burr, Brian Posehn, Todd Barry, Colin Quinn, Sasheer Zamata, Judah Friedlander, and some interviews and podcast tapings.
Much of it was stuff I probably would not have gone to see if I had to pay for it by individual show, but once you pay to see one of the headline acts you can go to everything else (except the other headline acts) without paying any more. They make it look more complicated, but you just have to make online reservations on their website or through their app.

September 30, 2017 @ 7:39 PM

Javed Jafri

Have just uploaded a tape I made of Hamilton classic rock station Y95 from 1995 featuring the afternoon team of Scott Thomson and Lori Love. Plus there is an ad for morning man Dave Lumby and some Hip are played. Click on my name to listen.

September 30, 2017 @ 10:28 PM

Javed Jafri

I did thanks for the correction !

September 30, 2017 @ 10:36 PM

Javed Jafri

The newsman is DAVE Spragge.

September 30, 2017 @ 10:39 PM

Jeff Lumby is returning to kick out the jams!

September 30, 2017 @ 10:42 PM

Cheryl

Baseball sucked last night. What a shame. Corey Kluber couldn't win game 19. He had a no decision because he couldn't get the run support. My Orioles and Diamondbacks also lost. Hockey was great. My Habs and Coyotes both won. Now my Habs are playing like my Habs. Football day today. Come on Browns, Ravens, and Cardinals, please win. I need wins.

October 1, 2017 @ 8:15 AM

Rick C in Oakville

Max Haines passed away this week, enjoyed reading his stories every Sunday.

October 1, 2017 @ 11:06 AM

Cheryl

My Indians won again yesterday. They play on Thursday. My Diamondbacks won as well yesterday and they play on Wednesday. Baseball was good except my Orioles lost again. Anyway, my Habs and Coyotes play their openers on Thursday. They will win. Football really sucked yesterday except my Cardinals did win, but my Ravens and Browns really sucked and that's not good. Why can't they win anymore.

October 2, 2017 @ 8:28 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Love "Glorified G'" by Pearl Jam and am absolutely sickened by what happened in
Las Vegas yesterday. It is truly sad that this 24 year-old song is even more relevant
nearly 25 years later than it was back in late 1993. Sheryl Crow's 21 year-old track "Love
Is a Good Thing" with those lyrics about purchasing guns at Wal-Mart was also quite
prescient at the time. Man, I hope that the likes of Ted Nugent aren't reading this.
Wouldn't want to find myself in the crossfire of any NRA members!!

October 2, 2017 @ 9:58 AM

@bsmntdwllr73

Every time I learn of another mass shooting in the USA I hear Glorified G in my head.

October 2, 2017 @ 10:32 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
For some reason I've had that song in my head a lot lately.
Personally, Vs. is my favourite Pearl Jam album.

October 2, 2017 @ 10:51 AM

@bsmntdwllr73

The other day I biked to Yield and remembered how great that album is... so good, but is it my favourite?

Ten must be my favourite, because it's the album that made me love Pearl Jam and it's stacked. But FM radio has killed so many tunes from that album, so I never put it on. I usually go for Vs. or Vitalogy.

In conclusion, depending on my mood, I will pick any of those four as my favourite Pearl Jam album.

October 2, 2017 @ 10:53 AM

bsmtndwllr73

@Mike
Love Black off of Ten!! Imagine this: No Pearl Jam if Andrew Wood
from Mother Love Bone hadn't tragically died. Their sole studio release,
Apple, is a slept-on classic. More people should know about this band.
Oh well, there is always the Temple of the Dog album to console those of
us in the know!! Gosh darn, I hope I didn't come off as too much of an elitist
music snob with this post!!!

October 2, 2017 @ 11:28 AM

@bsmtndwllr73

Black and Porch are my two favourites from Ten. Much and radio ruined Jeremy for me, and Even Flow and Alive were also everywhere, although I still sing along when I hear them. Just ask my two teens.

October 2, 2017 @ 2:46 PM

mrmojorisinca

this is what the world needs more talk of Pearl Jam :)

Just listening to Let's Play Two :)

Yield would probably be my fav
VS
Vitalogy
No Code (Under Rated)
Ten (Could be higher but Radio Killed the Video star :)
Binaural

then the rest :)

October 2, 2017 @ 2:54 PM

markosaar

Shitty 24 hours. A developing shooting story at University of Southern California and now Tom Petty has passed away. I already miss the guy!

October 2, 2017 @ 3:53 PM

andrew

WTF in Las Vegas.
Guy had 10 rifles in hotel room & FBI found another 18 with many rounds of ammo in his house.
So much for gun security & gun laws in the U.S.
How can anybody buy so many guns without being questioned??????????
Now 3 Cdns. have passed away & a few are still injured.

Tom Petty a great singer & song writer - RIP

October 2, 2017 @ 7:10 PM

Cheryl

Lots of bad stuff. Well, I wasn't a big Tom Petty fan, but liked some of his stuff. Not good that he had to go as he wasn't that old. Well, that Las Vegas stuff is tragic for sure. Nothing much really happened in sports. Basketball starts today though. My Nets and Suns play tonight while my Cavs play tomorrow night. Then Thursday my Indians play. Actually my Diamondbacks play tomorrow as well. Indians and Diamondbacks to the World Series. That's very true.

October 3, 2017 @ 7:04 AM

mrmojorisinca

Mike, question..How old where your kids when you took the training wheels off their bicycles? and recommendation for teaching them?

October 3, 2017 @ 8:48 AM

@mrmojorisinca

Good question... it's not a one-size-fits-all thing... I know my oldest daughter was without training wheels earlier than my oldest son. My 3-year old is still biking with training wheels, but I'm pretty certain we'll lose them next spring.

For teaching them we just biked with the training wheels until I felt they could make a go of it without them... then I removed them and ran beside them for a while encouraging them and all that... they'll fall, but they get back up and try again and once they have the balance they're good for life.

October 3, 2017 @ 8:52 AM

mrmojorisinca

Yeah I have my almost three year old (3 in Dec) on training wheels and she good..I can tell she still needs them though lots of wobbling..let see how she is over the winter into spring and summer.

October 3, 2017 @ 9:10 AM

@mrmojorisinca

Most 3 year olds are still using training wheels. Sure, there's a keener here and there, but none of my kids were biking at that age without training wheels.

Although I still have one to go! I'm just hoping her feet reach the pedals of the tricycle by next spring. :)

October 3, 2017 @ 9:12 AM

mrmojorisinca

yeah that what I've been reading..I'll see how her balance on the bike is come next summer

October 3, 2017 @ 9:27 AM

Cheryl

I have no idea about training wheels. Nowadays the only bike I ride is an exercise bike. I did have a tricycle when I was a kid though. Well, basketball was great last night. My Suns won and my Nets won. Hopefully my Cavs will win tonight. Tomorrow I have my Habs playing in Buffalo and my Coyotes playin in Anaheim. I hope lots of wins. My Diamondbacks will win tonight and my Indians will win tomorrow night. Yes, the Diamondbacks and Indians will be in the World Series. I know this.

October 4, 2017 @ 8:24 AM

@Cheryl

Remind me, how did your Orioles do this season? :D

October 4, 2017 @ 8:26 AM

Anonymous

@ Toronto Mike...Be nice to Cheryl !!!

October 4, 2017 @ 11:00 AM

Urooj Islam

Hey Mike,

Have you ever thought about having John Pollock of Fight Network on your podcast? I thought it would be very interesting to hear the journey of a local sports journalist who covers such an unconventional beat ie professional wrestling and mixed martial arts.

I knew you had Jason Agnew on a few years ago and they work together a lot in their various ventures but John's focus on those fronts is a lot more narrower than Jason's.

Just throwing it out there as you look for some fresh blood to do the deep dive with.

October 4, 2017 @ 3:42 PM

@Urooj Islam

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with John Pollock, but now that you've suggested him, I'll dive in.

Agnew went to highschool with my brother. I should get him back over here....

October 4, 2017 @ 3:45 PM

Cheryl

Well, my Diamondbacks won. This is great. They will beat the Dodgers tomorrow and all series long. My Orioles didn't make it, but I have my Indians and they play tonight and will win. Also my Habs open in Buffalo and the Sabres are not very good so Habs will win and Coyotes will win. My Cavs did not win last night. The first half was great, but the second half wasn't great and they lost. That's not good. My Cavs will bounce back though. I know they will.

October 5, 2017 @ 7:04 AM

Urooj Islam

Is it me or is Cheryl taking on more teams as rooting interests? It's getting hard to keep up.

@ Toronto Mike

Thanks for looking into John Pollock, man. I will always try my best to offer suggestions for any new "deep dive" possibilities as I believe it is the best work you do as a host. The Brunt episode and more specifically how well you guided the episode has me uber pumped for any future deep dives.

October 5, 2017 @ 12:55 PM