Nope

block

Rick C in Oakville

Mike don't put your head in the sand and maybe hear what he has to say, even if you disagree. At least as a city councillor he can' t get up to too much harm ;).

September 8, 2017 @ 9:35 PM

markosaar

What he has to say is a distraction and waste of time, based on history.

Just the same old popularism.

September 8, 2017 @ 9:45 PM

Urooj Islam

The mayoral rematch of the century!

September 8, 2017 @ 11:16 PM

Harvey, Irma, Jose

Harvey, then Irma, then Jose, then Ford.

Are hordes of locusts next?

Trump, Ford .. I am so sick of boorish, bombastic, blowhard con artists.

Go away Mr. Ford. Go far, far away; never to be heard from again.

September 9, 2017 @ 1:19 AM

Rick C in Oakville

Well this should be interesting, thought he was going to just run as a councillor.

September 9, 2017 @ 6:59 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike,
I vote that this space becomes a Ford-Free space from here on out!! (Not
the carmaker, however!!) What's that famous expression about being a
sucker? Fool me once...Not that Dougie or his deceased baby bro ever
fooled me on any level!

September 9, 2017 @ 9:31 AM

Justin

Was very happy to hear the news last night. Gives Tory a much needed heavyweight to challenge him in 2018. We're over halfway through Tory's term and he's done....??? Can anyone name a signature policy victory from him? He's done nothing.I appreciate the effort he's made to corporatize and clean up City Hall, but his term has been nothing but constant busybody photo-ops and empty talk.

Although I was a *huge* Rob Ford supporter, I'm still not sure that I'd vote for Doug. He doesn't have a lot of the same qualities as Rob did and he'd be a very different candidate, for better or for worse. Very open to being persuaded to vote for Doug so I don't have to vote for Tory in a "best of the worst" scenario.

September 9, 2017 @ 11:14 AM

No bullies as Mayor

Did Doug fall on his fat head or has someone hit him wit a stupid shovel to run and get destroyed again? He is a bully, and a completely arrogant a}} Hole. Too much money in his pockets to do this. Please no Doug Ford we have had enough embarrassing moments with his family and listening to his rhetoric again would be too much. He and his "brotha" made Toronto the laughing stock of all cities. Do we need another idiot in please a la "cook me in a pot" comments (think Mayor Mel) that cost us millions in city revenue 25 plus years ago.

September 9, 2017 @ 5:03 PM

The Voice of Reason

@Justin

Ford or no Ford, Tory does not deserve a second term.

September 9, 2017 @ 5:12 PM

GDB

I know John Tory works very hard and he seems like a great guy. Having said that, I see him as more of a project manager than a mayor. He is managing projects through as opposed to taking a leadership role. City council is back to being run by the alt-left ramming their ideology through over common sense. (Woodbine bike lanes to name but one thing). I really thought and hoped that John Tory would be a good balance between left and right.

Just for the record....I do not subscribe to any one ideology. I look for a balanced and common sense approach to fiscal and social issues. The alt-right and alt-left do not listen to anyone and right now, the alt-left is running the city again.

September 9, 2017 @ 6:37 PM

markosaar

Funny GDB, looks to me that the right-wing is ramming through ideology, enabled by Tory, rather than common sense.

Hopefully Ford splits the right-wing vote and someone with half a brain gets elected.

September 10, 2017 @ 11:56 AM

GDB

@Markosaar

Give me one example of what you are talking about.

September 10, 2017 @ 10:11 PM

Daniel

@Toronto Mike

I'm assuming the post is tongue in cheek as we are definitely talking about it now?

I'm with GDB I don't see much right wing ideology. the city planner is most certainly not right leaning, we call streeetcars LRT vehicles and promote them everywhere, woodbine bike lanes, we want to put a giant park on top of the railway beside union

Meh, like any candidate I'll hear what Ford has to say in regards to actual policy and not cliches and bluster, just like I listened to Tory

September 11, 2017 @ 7:53 AM

Y'all can talk about it all you want here and on Open Mikes. This post was to say I'm not spending the next year reading and/or talking about him.

September 11, 2017 @ 8:08 AM

James Edgar

@markosaar thanks for that. It definitely summed up what 2018 is going to be like.

I'm with Mike I'll be ignoring ford as much as possible. If he actually manages to put together a coherent policy document i will look at it but I can't see it happening.

September 11, 2017 @ 9:11 AM

markosaar

@GDB,

As far as I can see, Tory and Ford politically stand for much of the same ideas. The difference is that Tory is actually capable of persuading council to do what he wants. This was a major failure of Rob Ford -- he was ineffectual because he was utterly incapable of making inroads with other councillors.

One example of a(n) (overly simplifying) Tory right-wing success would be the billion allocated to the Gardiner rehabilitation. Chances are a progressive view would have just had that east section demolished.

Other examples would be favouring austerity over real funding tools, Scarborough subway over light rail, lack of action on the TCHC backlog... I could go on.

September 12, 2017 @ 8:38 PM