Hugh Hefner, Dead at 91

Hugh HefnerHugh Hefner was 91. He was the editor-in-chief and publisher of Playboy magazine, which he founded in 1953.

bsmntdwllr73

True story: My friend Dave, a.k.a. One-Leg, woke me up at around 12:05 this morning to
yell and cheer about the death of Mr. Silk Pajamas!! Funny thing, though, at the time that
he belatedly discovered the man's passing, he was cataloging his collection of vintage
Playboy calendars (both large and small!). Plus, he has an almost intact collection of the
magazine itself from the late 1960s to several years ago, not to mention a storage-locker's
worth of Playboy VHS tapes and DVDs. So the question one should probably ask, is why
bothering supporting the brand for decades if you despise the man at the same time?
Sadly, not clever enough to answer that strange dichotomy!!

September 28, 2017 @ 9:35 AM

markosaar

@bsmntdwllr73,

You're not clever enough to answer that, or he's not clever enough to answer when you asked him? :)

September 28, 2017 @ 9:52 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@markosaar
Sorry for the confusion! Probably a little bit of both!! My friend is not a fan of the
United States but most of the pop culture and sports (hockey) that he is fond of
originates from there. He is a very peculiar individual (not that I'm any different!).
All I know is that if I wasn't able to separate the artists (music, actors, writers) from
their "art", I probably wouldn't be into too many things. Not suggesting in any way
that Mr. Hefner was an artist(!), by the way!!

September 28, 2017 @ 10:06 AM

The Voice of Reason

My boyhood hero has now passed. Hopefully Ron Jeremy lives a long fruitful life.

September 28, 2017 @ 10:11 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@The Voice of Reason
And don't forget that the King of All Filth, Larry Flynt, is still among the
living!! Can only imagine the not-so-tearful reunion between Hefner and
his formal smut rival, Bob Guccione Sr., in those most hallowed halls of Hades!!!

September 28, 2017 @ 10:14 AM

m m

I finally got to read the articles from issues in the 60s and 70s. True to the urban legend, the articles were excellent. And really insightful interviews. So, is really was more than the pics, which were on boss level.

September 28, 2017 @ 10:52 AM

bsmntdwllr73

It's very good to know that there is at least one person in the history of Playboy
who actually read the magazine for the articles!! But seriously, back in the day
this publication featured great interviews and ace coverage on music and film!!
Not to forget all those great celebrity pictorials. I still have a soft-spot in my heart
for the 2002 music issue featuring noted '80s vocalist Tiffany!!

September 28, 2017 @ 11:01 AM

m m

And I must say the obligatory: "thanks for the mammaries!" RIP

September 28, 2017 @ 11:29 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@mm
And some spectacular mammaries they often were, at least until Playboy and
the adult entertainment industry in general became more about that super-sized
silicone breast thing!! Although rumour has it that Hefner's two sons from his
marriage to the former Playmate For a Lifetime, Kimberly Conrad, are much more
about "natural" (meaning: sans artificial sweetening!) beauty. They are somewhat
involved with the current incarnation of the magazine so time will tell if it continues,
and if there is a return to complete nudity. It appears to be heading that way (or so
I've been told). Haven't seen any recent issues.

September 28, 2017 @ 11:47 AM

Rick C in Oakville

Geez, never realised he is the same age as my dad.
Packed a lot living into 91 years.

September 28, 2017 @ 5:17 PM

WCI

@VOR

A guy who made a living selling pictures in a magazine of young nude women is your boyhood hero? That explains much. No only do you have old white man - itis, you're an knuckle-dragger as well. Not that it surprises me.

October 1, 2017 @ 10:36 PM

bsmntdwllr73

Just curious, what's with the previous commenter's obsession with the ethnicity of many of
the regular contributors to the comment sections? It seems to be a running theme here.

October 2, 2017 @ 9:19 AM

bsmntdwllr73

Also, is that to suggest that only people of the Caucasian persuasion fancied Hugh
Hefner as their boyhood hero? Playboy was an innovator in featuring models of various
ethnicities and skin tones.

October 2, 2017 @ 9:25 AM

Roshan

One can never say that he is now in a better place. The Playboy Mansion was heaven (for some of us atleast) ;)

October 11, 2017 @ 9:15 PM