Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 257: Ivar Hamilton Kicks Out the Jams!

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 257In this 257th episode, Mike and Ivar Hamilton play and discuss his ten favourite songs. This episode is exactly 1:29:44.

Become a Patron

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Ivar Hamilton and Me

Toronto Mike'd is proudly brought to you by Great Lakes Brewery and Property in the 6ix

Great Lakes Beer propertyinthesix.com

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

Mike

Hi Mike,
I have to comment as I do lol be listening to the various guests you have had have always been insightful. Frankly not feeling the new trends of various people's favourite songs. While play once in a blue moon maybe, I find that without the banter and behind the scenes talk or stories that have come up. The jams are going in a completely different direction.

Still love the podcast but please less jams and more talk with the guests.

August 8, 2017 @ 11:24 AM

@Mike

It's worth noting that jams are only being kicked out by guests who are returning to the show. So they all have an episode in the can in which we do our typical deep dive.

During these dog days of summer, it's just been easier to get returning guests to commit... I personally love the jam kicking, but I realize there have been a lot lately. The deep dives with new guests should pick up in September!

August 8, 2017 @ 11:39 AM

Mike

Thanks Mike. I can certainly understand that being summertime and all.

Please know that your work is really appreciated.

August 8, 2017 @ 11:52 AM

Liz

Only a few minutes in but it's off to a sweet start with "Working On The Radio".

I hope to pick up the rest of it later today.

August 8, 2017 @ 2:08 PM

@Mike

I do my best. :)

The toughest part of it all is chasing down interesting guests and not only getting them to say yes, but to commit to a specific day and time.

August 8, 2017 @ 3:07 PM

@Liz

I think you're going to love this one... the man knows his music!

August 8, 2017 @ 3:24 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike,
Thanks a lot for another amazing show! Your efforts are very appreciated and all
the whiners and naysayers should just stick to boning up on their picks for their various
fantasy hockey pools in the fall!! How can any sane person deny a program that featured
Curtis Mayfield, Nick Drake and Black Sabbath all on the same playlist?!? Speaking of
the almighty Sabbath, I'd highly advise any of their diehard fans to check out the early '90s cover
of "Supernaut" by 1000 Homogenized DJs (sanitized for those who are overly PC!), a supergroup
featuring members of Ministry and Trent Reznor.

August 8, 2017 @ 7:14 PM

WCI

@bsmntdwllr73

Nothing against Ivar or any of the other input into the whole Kick out the Jams thing, but one can't help but notice how "white, old and predictable" so many of these top charts are. I guess the background color of this blog IS pretty telling as to who posts here.

I mean not that I care or anything but the moderator of this blog espouses his belief of a modern, civil and multi-cultural Toronto (and to be honest, I believe HE believes in that). It's just this blog isn't that reflective of it (not his fault so much). Perhaps we need to invite Wayne Williams, Mark and Jem, Red, etc from G987 or anyone that thinks Panjabi MC had some seriously awesome songs.

August 8, 2017 @ 11:34 PM

Admittedly, the jam kickers have thus far been primarily middle aged white guys. This is not by design, and it's something I'm conscious of.

I also never pretend to speak from anyone's perspective than my own. I happen to be a heterosexual white guy. I'd love to hear other perspectives!

August 9, 2017 @ 9:02 AM

bsmntdwllr73

I'm not trying to be a sheep(!) disturber or anything, but where is it written that
every single thing has to be inclusive for everybody? If this space mostly resonates
with a particular demographic, then what exactly is wrong with that? People like what
they like and while some folks have much broader tastes, that often isn't the case.
Mike, no need to ever apologize for or rationalize about your slate of guests or their
potentially narrow fields of musical vision!

August 9, 2017 @ 9:19 AM