Open Mike

Welcome to this week's Open Mike. I'm Mike and I'll be your master of ceremonies for the day.

Open Mike on Toronto Mike

Cheryl

I'm first. This is great. I love being first. My Indians didn't win last night. Another fricken loss. When will they ever win again? Just one measly run. They can't hit, not even Edwin Encarnacion. My Diamondbacks lost as well though even though JD Martinez homered and Chris Ionetta homered. My Orioles won though. Lots of homers. Homers were by Adam Jones, two by Trey Mancini and one by Mark Trumbo. At least my Orioles won. Football was good as my Ravens and Browns both won. It's only preseason though, but my Ravens, Browns, and Cardinals will have great seasons.

August 11, 2017 @ 8:25 AM

Agar spits

I disagree with Newstalk1010's Jerry Agar more often than not.

But what's worse than his views, is his delivery. He literally spits his rhetoric at you.

When Mr. Agar comes on, it's dial change time.

How classy John Moore can stomach having a bombastic Agar on his round tables is beyond me. It's not good radio; it's "nails on a chalkboard".

August 11, 2017 @ 8:56 AM

Lyle Lanley

I look forward to these Open Mikes because it means it's Friday. TGIF!

August 11, 2017 @ 9:56 AM

H.o.E.

I just saw a headline that Alberta is now seriously considering following (most of) Saskatchewan in avoiding the pointless and annoying twice-a-year ritual of moving the clocks by an hour.

Whatever explanations, reasons, or arguments that were made to defend this practice are at best outdated, and more likely were just always nonsensical urban legends to begin with. "It helps the farmers"? How? As John Oliver pointed out, livestock and crops don't use clocks, and farmers are just like the rest of us in finding it to be pointless and slightly annoying. And if it ever actually did do anything to help conserve energy, it doesn't anymore.

The only point against it seems to be that it might confuse things when most other states and provinces were still doing it. What's needed is a continent-wide discussion and co-ordination to reach agreement that at some point two or three years from now, we'll all pick a time zone and stick to it.
I would prefer to stay on the time we use in summer (we're on it now) all year. If you don't like that it may still be dark at 8:30 a.m. in parts of December and January, too bad for you, but the rest of us prefer more daylight later in the day instead of getting dark by 5pm. Maybe elementary and high schools could shift their hours to start a little later to avoid kids walking around in the dark in the morning.
BTW, both of those links above use the misleading term "Daylight Saving Time", which I avoid using because it gets people mixed up about what is being argued about. It's the pointless changing of clocks that should be stopped. Then it can be decided which time zone to choose.
Note that Saskatchewan is in effect on what could be described as 'Year-round Mountain time zone Daylight Saving Time', but no one uses that term and they just call it "Central Standard Time", or maybe "Saskatchewan Time" to denote the lack of clock changing. Here in Toronto and most of Ontario, I assume it would be Atlantic Time.

August 11, 2017 @ 10:24 AM

Ryan G

There's a lot of things I don't like, but douchebaggery is gotta be near the top. And, I gotta say, I have douchebaggery radar. I can smell it a mile away on a guy. Oftentimes it's only a few words he says, and frequently it's what he's wearing, but without exaggeration, I'm about 95% accurate in predicting when I won't like someone for being greezy.

And just like I can sense it from them, I believe that douchebags know that I know they're douchebags. I can just tell. They put up a bit of a wall because deep down they realize I'm onto them and their bag of parlour tricks. Since high school I've been able to identify these guys, usually when some slimeball was trying to c-block me or chase my girlfriend. It's kinda like that movie the Dead Zone. When Christopher Walken shakes hands with someone or makes contact, he gets a glimpse of their future or past, and they know that he knows the truth about them.

And speaking of The Dead Zone, as each day goes by and fresh bile projects from the mouth of POTUS , it's terrifying just how similar Martin Sheen's fictitious President mirrors the actual President.

"Mr Vice President, Mr. Secretary...the missiles are flying. Hallelujah"

August 11, 2017 @ 10:26 AM

Daniel

So the city of Toronto has decided to put bike lanes on Woodbine Ave. I reached out to the planning consultant voicing my opposition to this and was told that 150 bicyclists use Woodbine daily. So we're removing a car lane that will screw over 150 motorists every hour, to placate 150 people on bicycles, and 0 people in the winter.

There is already a bicycle lane on Greenwood which is 5 minutes west of woodbine, so there is nothing to stop someone from using the Greenwood bike lanes.

I don't like how much I whine about this, but I can't stand poor decision making, and I really can't stand, as a taxpayer, having decisions made that hurt the majority of Torontonians in order to satisfy a minority that happens to be vocal. I also dislike using the environment as a human shield so that a small proportion of the city can get a large portion of the benefit

August 11, 2017 @ 10:31 AM

@Daniel

"and 0 people in the winter".

Well, not literally zero. :)

August 11, 2017 @ 10:33 AM

She was right

re: Ryan G: ".. as each day goes by and fresh bile projects from the mouth of POTUS .."

Trump, Conway, Miller, Gorka, Huckabee, Pruit, De Vos, Price .. the list goes on & on. These are truly deplorable people. Like her or not, Hillary was right.

August 11, 2017 @ 10:34 AM

The Voice of Reason

North Korea has threatened to attack the United States with nuclear weapons. That was a declaration of war. The war has started. We are hoping that China will do its humanitarian duty to impose a benevolent government on North Korea, and allow the Korean Peninsula to be demilitarized and at peace, before the war escalates to conventional and then nuclear violence.
I have every expectation that China will do its humanitarian duty, and thereby earn the gratitude and respect of all peace-lovings peoples. But if this is not possible, the alternative must be sudden annihilation of the North Korean regime, and regrettably the destruction of many of its people. Unfortunately, the people of a country must bear the consequences of the transgressions of its leaders. But let China put a stop to North Korea's transgressions now, while there is still time, and the world will rejoice.

August 11, 2017 @ 10:54 AM

GDB

@ Daniel

My cousin lives on Woodbine Ave. I highly doubt that 150 cyclists use Woodbine in a day. Who came up with that number? I would say it is more like 150 in a year.

This is going to be a disaster. When school starts in September the 2 lanes northbound particularly in rush hour are jammed and they are going to reduce that to one lane? Common sense is gone.

August 11, 2017 @ 10:58 AM

Urooj Islam

Shania Twain doing the Grey Cup halftime show.

I guess I will watch some of the Grey Cup for the first time in years.

August 11, 2017 @ 11:12 AM

Sane Americans

The Voice of Reason: " .. Unfortunately, the people of a country must bear the consequences of the transgressions of its leaders. "

Which is why sane Americans are so furious.

August 11, 2017 @ 11:14 AM

@markosaar

@Daniel,

Hi neighbour! I assure you I'll be on that lane virtually every work day through winter. Perhaps my brother as well.

What I find silly is that the city report mentions it'll accommodate connecting to Martin Goodman perhaps later ... it's one more effing block!

August 11, 2017 @ 11:20 AM

markosaar

In other news, yay final day at my employment. Feels surreal ... longest I've ever stayed at a job at 2.75 years. All previous jobs are very distant memories hah.

August 11, 2017 @ 11:22 AM

The Voice of Reason

@Sane Americans

As a Canadian, I have to agree.

August 11, 2017 @ 11:25 AM

The Voice of Reason

@Urooj Islam

I recall when Shania rocked the Super Bowl. This may be the first time in history that the Half Time show out draws the actual game.

August 11, 2017 @ 11:28 AM

Daniel

@TorontoMike

Not literally 0... but I've done this drive for about 5 years and if you get 1 bicyclist in the winter per day, its a busy day. No exaggeration

@GDB

I e-mailed Maogosha Pyjor the "consultation coordinator" (who is supposed to be independent but conveniently has previous employment with bicycle networks) and she informed me that this was the average number of cyclists. I informed her of my opposition and of the alternative (Greenwood) and she basically said this has already been approved by city council so I don't care what you think.

Its an incredibly stupid move, taking woodbine down to one lane. Traffic is going to be awful, and that lane is going to go largely unused. If your cousin wants to make their opinion known her e-mail is Maogosha.Pyjor@toronto.ca Once traffic gets outrageous I'm going to try to get a petition started to eliminate the lanes

BTW these lanes are going to cost $500,000

August 11, 2017 @ 11:30 AM

markosaar

@Daniel,

Thanks for the address to send my support to!

August 11, 2017 @ 11:36 AM

WCI

Re: Kick out the Jams.

Spirit of Radio (mostly) inspired "club" music. It's often forgotten the influence CFNY had on club culture in Canada (Chris Sheppard, Don Berns, Deadly Headly). They had their pulse on the club scene which later found a home at 107.9. David Guetta should send CFNY some roses.

PS. Congrats to the Lost Indie show on hooking up with CKWR.

10. Microchip League - New York, New York
9. MARRS - Pump Up the Volume
8. Erasure - Chains of Love
7. Skinny Puppy - Dig It
6. Book of Love - Pretty Boys & Pretty Girls
5. Kraftwerk - Tour De France
4. L'il Louie - French Kiss
3. Bomb Da Bass - Beat Dis
2. Ministry - Everyday is Halloween
1. Guy Called Gerald - Voodoo Ray

August 11, 2017 @ 12:57 PM

markosaar

@WCI,

On the chance it's of interest to you, one of my favourite modern bands did a tribute to Everyday is Halloween: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdLXA5ZFt1c

August 11, 2017 @ 1:13 PM

WCI

It's not bad. It's interesting in that Halloween from Ministry was really out of character for the band given they were more industrial.

As a side note in the middle of "French Kiss" from Lil Louie, you can hear a woman having an orgasm. Supposedly it's actually real as two of them had sex on the board in the studio and they recorded it.

August 11, 2017 @ 1:24 PM

twins from bolton

Major storm here now - rain, thunder & lightening.
3 choices on TV tonight.
Shapovalov (Rogers cup tennis)
Jays (son going to game tonight)
Argos (who?)
Let your fingers do the walking.
Even though I hate tennis this kid is amazing & will be watching.
Ratings tomorrow?

August 11, 2017 @ 2:05 PM

I'm camping in the backyard with the three year old tonight.

Considering his bedtime is 7:30, I'm thinking it's an early TV-free night for me.

That Shapovalov victory last night was something else...

August 11, 2017 @ 2:08 PM

Urooj Islam

Yes, Shapovalov is must watch, a legitimate talent who beat an all-time great in the biggest tournament that takes place in his home country.

Usually, the Canadian sports media forces these hometown stories but he's got a ton of potential and the win over Nadal means a lot no matter the circumstances and setting so the attention is warranted. Plus, love the Canadian sports royalty he is attracting in Gretzky and Penny O.

August 11, 2017 @ 2:44 PM

H.o.E.

To add my comment above, I see Mike has agreed twice before already.

There is literally no logical reason to continue the practice of shifting our clocks twice a year, apart from the "but most of the other places still do it" excuse.

August 11, 2017 @ 2:56 PM

James Edgar

Bonjour from Mazerolles France. I'll let you guess which one apparently there's a bunch. Having a great time on vacation here . I had a full day of riding a motorcycle last week which was awesome and I ve had a few rides since . Family time has been awesome too , my daughter and I spent 2 hours in the surf on the Atlantic coast today having a blast and drinking too much salt water . Wouldn't have missed it for anything . We dolly to nice on Sunday after I get in a mornings ride and BBQ chicken wings for everyone tomorrow night .the only thing I miss in to is my bed lol. Prof I'm getting old I guess . Passez une bonne semaine à tous

August 11, 2017 @ 3:39 PM

James edgar

I forgot to say that I'm currently drinking some JD single barrel whiskey we bought in Spain the other day with my brother in law before we hit the hay, life is good inFrance :)

August 11, 2017 @ 3:47 PM

@markosaar

Moving on to bigger and better?

August 11, 2017 @ 3:50 PM

Steve

After all his claims and bluster of greatness coming, Mike Richards latest podcast has officially fisiled.

Youtube video's have between 100-150 views and none of the high end clients seem to be sponsoring.

Just to note, some videos that I watch produced by people who are just doing it as a hobby can approach 1000 views.

Glad he's healthy, just wish he was more honest about his claims (that he beat the fan being the mst obvious) on the last Toronto Mike Podcast.

August 11, 2017 @ 4:00 PM

dale

@Mike as per your tweets
Was the insurance life or for mortgage insurance.
NEVER EVER go to a bank for life insurance (wife worked at ins. co. for many years) & banks have a repertoire of insurance co. that they deal with. You will be paying much more than you should paying the bank & ins. co.
It's like going to the Mandarin & ordering a burger & fries as not their specialty. You got screwed.

August 11, 2017 @ 6:16 PM

Urooj Islam

Rob J's sarcasm about RAW Mike Richards and the potential guests he could book is one of my favourite commenter memes.

Seriously, anyone can start a podcast and within a few months do more traffic than that, guy seems clueless.

August 11, 2017 @ 6:44 PM

Managing expectations is key... if I were involved in Mike's project, there would be some #realtalk in that regard.

August 11, 2017 @ 6:48 PM

@dale

Here's what happened. We had mortgage insurance, and realized we'd get more money (if one of us croaks) for less if we cancelled that and bought life insurance.

So my wife shopped around, got a few quotes (I saw one from Manulife, another from BMO, etc.) and went with the best rate. And yes, it was with a big bank.

At the end of the day she seems happy with the rate (even though it's the standard rate and not the special rate I heard about for elite athletes like myself!).

August 11, 2017 @ 6:50 PM

Blind Dave

@H.o.E.

I have lived in SK for ten years now and it's great to not have to move the clocks back and forth. We get plenty of summer sun and the winters are just winter, no big deal.

We even have our own time zone (Saskatchewan) for setting up computers and cell phones. Mountain DST sounds about right, as depending on the time of year we either agree with mountain or central time.

I vaguely remember Eastern time in Canada trying a very early daylight savings time one year - perhaps back in the 70's. I think they only did it once. It messed up Buffalo station TV times and kids were going to school in the dark in the morning. Anyone else recall that?

Regardless, it works great in SK. The clock shift really is pointless. Just keep it on DST all year.

August 11, 2017 @ 6:54 PM

Rob J

@Urooj Islam

Haha, glad you appreciate my cynical comments re: Mike Richards. They stem from the fact that my original comment for his 2nd appearance was something like "I think I'll sit this one out," and that guy Anthony (or Anonyman when he wanted to be hidden, haha) who used to come around here and passive aggressively 'tut-tut' people for their views (as I assume he still does on the Toronto Sports Media board), said something like "why not just not listen....why mention that you're not?"

Therefore against my better judgment I did listen and literally got angry with the BS that Richards flung all over TM's basement for 2 hours or whatever, culminating with his "and then Doug Gilmour walks in!!" as an example of appealing to a world-wide audience.

Then Anthony petulantly stormed off here in a huff after TM asked legitimate questions of Howard Berger. May he ne'er return.

August 11, 2017 @ 7:39 PM

dale

@Mike
Should have called your car insurer as most of them do life & house insurance also & if you do both like us you get a discount.
Depending on your mortgage payments sometimes mortgage insurance is more important than life. Did you not get mortgage insurance when you bought your house? We both did & wife not qualified with Chrones disease & I was after cancer surgery & clean when applied.
Still think you were scammed big time. Sorry.

August 11, 2017 @ 7:53 PM

@dale

I got mortgage insurance when I bought my house and just cancelled it because I pay less to get more with life insurance.

Not sure how you can think I was scammed when you don't know the price or terms...

August 11, 2017 @ 8:10 PM

James

Is anyone really surprised about Mike Richards? He was stale 6 years ago. I can't imagine why anyone would think that his new podcast would be the most innovative thing ever. He hasn't innovated in 20 years, he still did the same voices and same schtick on TSN radio.

@Rob
Sorry, I don't see that here?

August 11, 2017 @ 8:46 PM

dale

@Mike
With your health results done today & all above normal & your biking you must be at a premium rate even as you said & were shocked as classified as standard. ?????
Price & terms don't make a difference it's the rate - standard vs. premium as there is a big difference in payments.

August 11, 2017 @ 9:05 PM

Rick C in Oakville

@VOR, China could look better if maybe they didn't supply North Korea with the technology to build all this stuff, since they are basically their only trading partner. Nobody ever seems to want to confront China on this.
Maybe they can supply some satellite technology to the North Koreans once the deal goes through for Norsat.

August 11, 2017 @ 9:32 PM

twins from bolton

Shapovalov Rocks. MIlos look over your shoulder & this kid in only 18 yrs. old.
T Dot should all be watching tomorrow for his semi final.
Not a tennis fan but will be watching.
Make Canada proud.

August 11, 2017 @ 9:40 PM

H.o.E.

I still like Mike Richards' "schtick" and the impressions/voices, but after the first week I stopped listening to the whole thing every day, even after he cut it back from two down to one hour a day. There's usually two or three short segments cut out of it each day and posted on YouTube individually if he does a voice or finds some weird video clip to mock, and I'll go through them once every few days. If it was a once-a-week thing of 30 to 45 minutes, then maybe I might listen to all of it most weeks.
He had that cartoon-looking logo of his head put on everything, and then not much later had his hair cut much shorter so that now he doesn't have much resemblance to the logo.

@ Blind Dave
Some other people seem to get pointlessly annoyed by using Saskatchewan for an example of staying year-round on the time we use in summer -- ("WTF are you talking about? They're on Standard Time all year!") -- but it is an accurate description. If you look at a map that shows time zones (see 'Time in Saskatchewan' on Wikipedia), Saskatchewan geographically aligns with the Mountain Time Zone, but stays year round on Central Standard Time.

August 11, 2017 @ 9:52 PM

markosaar

@WCI,

I've heard that story too but who knows, right? Anyway, huge Skinny Puppy fan too. Recommend you check out Three Cheers for the Newlydeads by Ashbury Heights if you're at all curious. I think it's oddly become one of my all-time top 10 albums.

@Toronto Mike,

Yeah it's a bump and far closer to what I want out of a career. Just not that into Accounting!

August 11, 2017 @ 11:35 PM

H.o.E.

@ Blind Dave
In 1974-75, there was an "Emergency Daylight Saving Time Energy Conservation Act" that was temporarily imposed in the U.S., and I think it did briefly put them out of sync with bordering parts of Canada, but I can't find any real info about what, if anything, Canada did. There seems to be conflicting views on whether it resulted in any significant difference in energy consumption in the U.S
I think since then Canada has followed any U.S. changes for no apparent reason other than to stay in sync with them. And U.S. changes to increase the number of days of the year spent on DST have happened because of lobbying by businesses who thought they could earn more money with more daylight hours shifted to later in the day to encourage more shopping and recreational activities.

August 12, 2017 @ 1:58 AM

Cheryl

I agree about daylight saving time. We should just get rid of it. Arizona doesn't have it, so we shouldn't have it either. What's the use? Well, my Indians won last night. Carlos Carrasco almost had a no hitter, but then a couple guys got hits off him in the end. That's great. Edwin Encarnacion homered. He hasn't hit one in a long time. My Orioles lost but Adam Jones hit a home run. My Diamondbacks lost again. Paul Goldschmidt and David Peralta homered. Anyway, Cardinals and Ravens or Browns will be in the Superbowl.

August 12, 2017 @ 8:44 AM

Brandon

Anyone here familiar with Cash Pomer? There's a story in The Star today:

Toronto TV personality Cash Pomer partied for decades. At 60 he’s trying to undo a lifetime of addiction

The reason I ask is because it mentions the Fan 590 and Global TV appearances - apparently by 2001 and then 2006 they ended. I'd never heard of this guy - and obviously given the podcasts of Mike's, I try to keep up with GTA and Ontario media figures past and present.

August 12, 2017 @ 9:38 AM

H.o.E.

@Brandon
I remember hearing the name frequently on the radio station, but I didn't listen to his show, as gambling talk does not interest me, and also then and now I rarely listened to radio on weekends, certainly not on Sunday mornings which is when they say he was on Fan590.

@Cheryl
Like I said above, that term "Daylight Saving Term" is one I try to avoid using as it confuses people when the subject arises regarding if it is referring to simply the idea of moving the clocks back and forth, which most people dislike, or the time we use in summer, which is what the majority of people like (though not everyone) and would prefer to stay on all year.
But it also sounds ridiculous, because daylight cannot be "saved". Maybe "shifted" might have been a more accurate word for it?

August 12, 2017 @ 10:15 AM

bsmntdwlr73

I just read that Cash Pomer article and it always amazes me how characters
like him always seem to have a solid support system. Perhaps I have an axe or
two to grind because I find myself in middle-age in very untenable circumstances, but then
again, I've never been a reprobate addict or gambler either!! It's funny how you never see
articles or news reports about people in tough situations who never resort to such base
behaviours, and who manage to maintain their dignity and sobriety despite incredible
pain and challenges. Just once in my lifetime it would be an immense pleasure to see
that portrayed in print or in some other form of media. Plus, I've lost any remaining respect
that i had for Steve Simmons! (If only for his Larry King-Style Sunday Sun columns!!)

August 12, 2017 @ 10:38 AM

I definitely remember the name Cash Pomer, but because I never had any interest in the subject matter, I only knew the name.

@bsmntdwlr73

Helping a longtime good friend with addiction issues shouldn't be a reason to lose respect for a guy.

All we are saying... is give Steve a chance. :)

August 12, 2017 @ 10:58 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike,
Nice one! But as for Cash Pomer, I guess the point I was trying to make
is that some people are given a million chances, while others of us are
left to wilt. I guess some problems are easier to solve than others?!?

August 12, 2017 @ 11:06 AM

@bsmntdwllr73

I suppose it's all about your support system.

When you're down, you lean on this support... some people are down because of addiction, others it's because of clinical anxiety or depression, and for others it's just environmental shit like losing your job, getting a divorce, going into debt, etc.

Some people are fortunate enough to have a good support system to lean on, others are not. In a perfect world, nobody would be left to wilt.

August 12, 2017 @ 11:09 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike,
I am probably more than a little bit biased on this subject matter
because I lost my father to the belated-effects of drug abuse, but
I now that he certainly did not have anywhere near the support of
someone like Cash Pomer, As for my self, I was belatedly diagnosed on
the spectrum (Aspergers) in my late thirties and sadly, by then, the proverbial
ship had sailed. Some bridges can only be burned so many times, perhaps that is
why this story resonates with me in such a painful matter? Thanks for the sandbox to
vent in!

August 12, 2017 @ 11:13 AM

bsmntdwllr73

Sorry, that should have rad I know, not I now!

August 12, 2017 @ 11:14 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike,
I promise that one day I will properly learn to edit and or use
spellcheck!

August 12, 2017 @ 11:29 AM

Brandon

Very interesting comments, guys. To me that headline says it all - "Toronto TV personality Cash Pomer partied for decades." For decades. One would have to logically think eventually it catches up with you - if not financially or with lost (career) opportunities or poor judgments, simply health-wise. Although as the joke goes, Rolling Stones' Keith Richards is still alive and ticking, so there's that... :-P

It's nice to see the article mention that Pomer is using his experience (and broadcasting skills) to speak at recovery groups. This is his own journey, but any wisdom or lessons or even simple, small encouragements might be able to help someone else in whatever way.

August 12, 2017 @ 11:46 AM

@bsmntdwllr73

I'm sorry to hear about your father.

You're welcome to vent in this sandbox anytime!

August 12, 2017 @ 12:38 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Can we put the proverbial nail in the coffin of this Justin Bieber "Despacito" song that today I must have heard at every stoplight as I was out enjoying a sunny day in my convertible.
Hopefully this isn't in one of Mike's Kicking out the Jams guests playlists.
To salve my Despacito wounds I am going to have a couple of GLB Pompous Asses this afternoon at a BBQ.

August 12, 2017 @ 12:39 PM

GDB

I am in my car everyday and only put the radio on for a short time for a news or traffic update. I usually check out 102.1 or Indie 88 to see if anything has changed and I noticed that almost every day when I flip around, I will hear the same song at the same time on both stations simultaneously. I guess they use the same programming software or something. One of these stations needs to do something to stand out a bit.

August 12, 2017 @ 2:05 PM

Anonymous

Well,If Arizona doesn't have to change their clocks why should the rest of the world ? I agree
While we are on it Arizona has Thanksgiving in November,so If Arizona has Thanksgiving on a Thursday so should Canada. I know we should,It will happen.

August 12, 2017 @ 2:31 PM

Urooj Islam

@ Rob J

It's hilarious.

Everything Doug Gilmour related now reminds me of Mike Richards' failed podcast thanks to you. Even when Toronto Mike posted pictures from inside those old subway trains, the first thing I thought about when I saw that Doug Gilmour "Milk" ad from the 1990s was Mike Richards.

August 12, 2017 @ 3:20 PM

Rob J

I'm sure 'Dougie' still reminds Leaf fans and media of better days but, trust me, he doesn't move the needle outside of Toronto. Maybe one day Richards will yet have him on! We'll find out once and for all how much weight he lost in that glorious spring 24 years ago.

I also feel for Cash P but moreso for the hundreds (thousands?) of tools who called his 1-900 number to get his 'super duper guaranteed insider info' on the week's games. How many of those marks are now on the financial precipice??

August 12, 2017 @ 4:04 PM

andrew

@Anonymous
I bet anything our sports analyst on Toronto Mike cannot name more than 7 players on her Arizona sports teams - Coyotes, Diamondbacks & Cardinals.
Looking forward to tomorrows sports update.

RIP Bryan Murray a great person, GM, coach & will be missed by NHL overall.

August 12, 2017 @ 4:47 PM

Jason from Sudbury

Rip Bryan Murray. Cancer sucks...

Another song almost equally as annoying as Justin Bieber is Bad Liar by Selina Gomez. Seems like I hear it almost every where I go these days.

August 12, 2017 @ 5:43 PM

WCI

Rick C

Despacito isn't a Beiber song. It was a highly successful Latin hit without Beiber. The original video had nearly 2 billion views. Beiber was added and it was re-recorded and flourished off the success of the original. Beiber adds nothing.

A better choice is J Balvin - Mi Gente. A monster hit, in full rotation on Beats 1, 250 million YouTube views, 150 million streams on Spotify, etc. Hey is anyone in toronto FM playing it? No? Imagine that

Friends don't let friends listen to FM radio

August 12, 2017 @ 6:15 PM

H.o.E.

Whenever I heard ads on Fan590 for those "tout services", as ridiculous as they sounded and as difficult as it was to imagine that anyone in their right mind with an I.Q. higher than their shoe size would actually call one, it always made me question the ethics of the station accepting those ads and putting them on the air. You would hear Bob McCown explaining to a caller how much of a joke and a scam they were, then immediately go to a break and hear one of their ads. I understand they need all the paying advertisers they can get, but that's sinking pretty low and I think it would be difficult for the person making the decision to justify if we were able to ask them about it.

August 12, 2017 @ 6:36 PM

Rob J

@ H.o.E.

Totally concur, especially when McCown would declare the 'touts' as useless only to hear an ad for one moments later.

Even worse was 'The Tipster', since 'he' seemed to be a part of the programming. Gawd, people were so dumb to believe any of it!

At least "Inside the Lines" could be avoided, since you knew when it would be on. Nothing like dedicating a couple hours to a few dudes who danced a jig at going 5-4 yet spoke with the authority of Moses (not Znaimer). But I'm sure their 'info' spurred hundreds to flock to the convenience stores to throw away money on Pro-Line tickets.

August 12, 2017 @ 7:38 PM

Anonymous

@ andrew
She will have no problem in listing 7 players right after going to google and search "pro sports players,Arizona " then listing them in order as they appear with correct spelling.
I know she will for sure.

August 12, 2017 @ 7:44 PM

andrew

@Anonymous
Just love the comedy everyday. MY, My, My teams. Don't cheat Cheryl?
Does she get it - I don't think so.

August 12, 2017 @ 8:45 PM

Why do you guys pick on Cheryl?

If she wants to root for half of MLB, why do you care? It obviously makes her happy and it's certainly no skin of your backs...

August 12, 2017 @ 8:59 PM

Urooj Islam

The Indians already won, the Orioles are up big, now if only the Diamondbacks can pull it out.

August 12, 2017 @ 9:43 PM

the brother

@ WCI this is a KOTJ playlist I can get behind. If you get on there is hope for me still!

Cheers

August 13, 2017 @ 12:39 AM

WCI

@The Brother *laughs*

I was a big fan of 102.1 in the "glory" days when they introduced me to the world of alternative. The Housemartins, The The, The Smiths, etc, all the staples of that world. More importantly, it would introduce me to the world of underground club & rave music. This blog is full of people who pine for the days when CFNY played The Smiths, but few mention when they played L'il Louie, S Express or Guy Called Gerald. 102.1 legitimized club culture into Toronto. And let's not forget that one of Toronto Mike's favorite bands, Public Enemy, was championed by 102.1. The masters of 102.1 seemed to understand that PE and hip hop was the new punk rock. It wasn't like you'd hear Black Steel on CFTR or Kiss 98.5 or even WBLK in Buffalo.

As for me being on the podcast, well I live in Vancouver so it's unlikely. I admit, it would be amusing solely for the "outrage" factor.

August 13, 2017 @ 1:31 AM

Cheryl

I don't hurt anyone. I really don't. Yes, my Indians won. That's great. They're staying in first place where they belong. My Orioles also won as well. My Diamondbacks won, and David Peralta and Paul Goldschmidt homered. Arizona Cardinals also won which is a great thing. See, football is great with my Ravens, Browns and Cardinals all winning. One of them will win the Superbowl.

August 13, 2017 @ 8:54 AM

Rob J

For those with an interest in the true-crime genre, each of the 100s of episodes of "Forensic Files" (also known as "Medical Detectives") are available on youtube.

August 13, 2017 @ 10:19 PM

Sleepy I

I'm curious. How can someone be a fan of both the Ravens and Browns at the same time, given they're division rivals, as well as "the move"?

August 13, 2017 @ 11:51 PM

Cheryl

well, being a fan of the Ravens and Browns doesn't hurt anyone. I wasn't following football when there was the move. Well, how about those Indians. They won. Corey Kluber wins number 12. Homers were by Edwin Encarnacion and Austin Jackson. Jay Bruice is a great player as he got a couple hits and he can play defense as well. My Orioles and Diamondbacks didn't win though. They lost.

August 14, 2017 @ 8:37 AM

H.o.E.

The Bloor GO Train and Union-Pearson Express train station is directly above the eastern end of the TTC Dundas West subway station, or at least extremely close if it is not right on top of it. Strangely there is no stairs, elevator, or tunnel connecting them as would be expected and there should be. Is there any plan to eventually build one? When you walk past on the Bloor Street sidewalk outside of the exit of the train station, you see people pulling suitcases on wheels presumably arriving from the airport, and often some of them appear to be confused, looking both ways and maybe then pulling out their smartphones to see where and how they should walk to get to this TTC subway station that is supposedly at the same location, and the signs perhaps are not as obvious as they should be.

August 14, 2017 @ 8:59 AM

@mrmojorisinca

Fun list, but missing my man Steve Anthony!

August 14, 2017 @ 2:23 PM

mrmojorisinca

Yeah I was surprised not to see him or Monica (not sure on spelling of last name )deole

just watching the u2 interview..

August 14, 2017 @ 2:29 PM

@mrmojorisinca

Monika Deol was *this* close to visiting earlier this year.

One day, she promises to drop by for a chat.

August 14, 2017 @ 2:40 PM

Urooj Islam

Decent list, definitely missing Steve Anthony, Rick The Temp and Rachel Perry, though.

August 14, 2017 @ 3:35 PM

Rob J

Wow, "Law and Order: SVU" is entering its 19th (!!!) season next month. Now I wonder how many other shows I used to watch are still making new episodes.

August 14, 2017 @ 8:06 PM

@Rob J

For me it's a short list.

The Simpsons, of course.

Curb Your Enthusiasm is still going....

I used to watch Family Guy, too.

That's about it unless we count recent shows like Better Call Saul.

August 14, 2017 @ 8:32 PM

Rob J

Definitely with you on 'Curb" and obviously 'The Simpsons' (and man, I am still loving that podcast you recommended to Elvis).

I have a feeling when I'm old and grey, the original "Law and Order" will still be one of my all-time favourites. The combination of plot, characters, and writing week after week made it a must-see show back in the day. I still use the occasional Adam Schiff quote, e.g. "the crying towels...are in the room down the hall"

August 14, 2017 @ 9:39 PM

@Rob J

I'm with you on the original Law and Order. When they were airing on A&E at 11pm each night, I rarely missed it.

I loved Mike Logan with Lenny Briscoe... and both Stone and McCoy as the DAs. And I too would drop an Adam Schiff quote now and then... still do!

August 14, 2017 @ 10:18 PM

Rob J

Stone and Schiff never had a bad scene together...Moriarty and Hill were made for those roles. I also viewed Briscoe and Logan as the gold standard of the cop-pairings. Amazing cast turnover for a successful show...a quick wikipedia search shows 27 actors playing the main cops and lawyers over 20 years.

August 14, 2017 @ 11:51 PM

Cheryl

Well, great night. My Indians won. Edwin Encarnacion hit two two-run homers. Now he is heating up. That's a great thing. Also how about those Orioles. Another win. Homers by Manny Machado, Seth Smith, Trey Mancini, and Tim Beckham. My Diamondbacks also won. This is great as well. Zach Greinke again pitched a real gem. Well, I'm in heaven with baseball being all good.

August 15, 2017 @ 7:11 AM

Urooj Islam

I miss Edwin.

Going to be fun to see the Jays light $60 million + on fire with Tulowitzki over the next 3-4 years and continue to justify letting Edwin walk.

August 15, 2017 @ 4:14 PM

@Urooj Islam

That really was a clusterfuck. I miss Edwin as well.

August 15, 2017 @ 4:15 PM

markosaar

Seen every single Law & Order-branded episode.

I'm just sad that SVU is what survived. The original series had gotten back to being fantastic when it got cancelled.

August 15, 2017 @ 10:44 PM

Rob J

I recall the cancellation was very unexpected. With its 'ripped from the headlines' approach, you'd think the well for stories would never run dry. Presumably, it came down to $$$.

I liked "Criminal Intent" a lot too, due to its 'Columbo-esque' feature of (usually) seeing the killer in action right off the top. Vincent D'Onofrio played the detective role with smarts and intensity. Kind of weird when Jeff Goldblum took over for the last season.

August 15, 2017 @ 11:28 PM

Cheryl

Well, how about those Indians. Lots of homers. Edwin Encarnacion hits another one. Carlos Santana hits a couple. Austin Jackson hits one. Danny Salazar pitched a gem. Great win. My Orioles didn't do so well though. Jonathan Schoop homered, but that's it. They lost. My Diamondbacks lost as well. Now my Indians have Edwin. He's staying there.

August 16, 2017 @ 8:35 AM

For those Breakfast Television viewers out there, they've parted ways with Tanya Kim.

"After two years of bringing you, loyal fans, and viewers the latest in entertainment news on Entertainment City, Breakfast Television Toronto, and Your World This Week, I was officially let go of by the network due to restructuring – They deemed my position to be unnecessary."

August 16, 2017 @ 8:38 AM

Boomer

Sorry to hear Tanya Kim has been let go from BT. I suppose they will have Winston doing her segment now too. Not a fan of him to say the least.

August 16, 2017 @ 10:16 AM

bsmntdwllr73

Just a little bit curious, can anyone please tell me why Tanya Kim
keeps losing her job while her former compatriot Benedict Mulroney
is basically Bell Media's very own Television Teflon (or at the very least,
a much-taller and less busy Ryan Seacrest)? No need to talk amongst
yourselves about this one, Folks, as the answer's clear as day: It's because
he's the son of a former Prime Minister. Nuff Said!!!

August 16, 2017 @ 5:08 PM

Cheryl

My Indians got rained out last night. They play a doubleheader today. My Orioles and Diamondbacks both lost. My Diamondbacks had lots of homers though by Chris Ianetta, Paul Goldschmidt and JD Martinez. They have to start winning again though.

August 17, 2017 @ 7:15 AM

Rob J

@TM

Listening to this week's "Talkin' Simpsons"...would you ever do a clip show?

August 17, 2017 @ 9:43 PM

@Rob J

In fact, I want to! But I don't have the time to stitch it together right now...

August 17, 2017 @ 10:14 PM

Rob J

It would actually be quite a must-listen episode considering your roster of guests, but yeah, the editing would require yeoman's work!

August 17, 2017 @ 10:42 PM

Urooj Islam

He did that Martin Streek tribute episode which was kind of like a clip show in terms of soundbites and interview clips being taken from other episodes and spliced together into one, so he can pull it off.

August 17, 2017 @ 11:09 PM

@Urooj Islam

Excellent point! I have done at least one clip show...

August 18, 2017 @ 8:52 AM