18 Months Straight of Cycling 500+ KM

Yesterday, I surpassed 500 KM of biking for August. I currently sit at 508.97 KM for the month.

That's 18 consecutive months of clearing 500 KM. The last time I fell short was February 2016 when I only managed to ride 482.65 KM. I'm blaming mother nature.

Since I started biking again after an inexplicable 15 year break, I've almost pedaled 30,000 KM. In fact, I should reach that milestone later this month. Here are my yearly totals since I got back on the saddle.

Every KM I've ridden has been on a hybrid bike, without clipless pedals and biker shorts. During these 29,493 KM I've only had to bury one bike. If you have any questions about biking Toronto, ask away in the comments.

Rob J

You're a cyclist?

August 16, 2017 @ 4:39 PM

@Rob J

Aw man, you ruined it. I was going to see how long this entry stayed at 0 comments...

August 16, 2017 @ 4:42 PM

Protip: If you're tired of comments on your blog entries, write about your cycling milestone!

— Toronto Mike (@torontomike) August 16, 2017
August 16, 2017 @ 4:43 PM

As a middle-aged lump/couch enthusiast, congratulations on your
triumphant cycling achievement. As someone who can barley walk
properly (proudly born with a displaced hip that was never fixed for
less-than-compassionate-reasons!!), I haven't been on a bike since I
sold my old beater for $15 at a pathetic attempt at a garage sale in the
summer of' '87. Definitely wasn't the kind of triumph that Mr. Adams once
famously sang about in that song when he was actually not even ten years old!!
Still, more than happy to live vicariously through your tremendous Feats of
(cycling) Strength. Go Festivus!!!

August 16, 2017 @ 4:56 PM

Rob J

Shoot! Sorry.

August 16, 2017 @ 5:46 PM

Urooj Islam

That's amazing, man.

How did you get started? I know we all grow up riding bikes as kids and teenagers but how do you structure your life to the point where you can continue it consistently into adulthood?

August 16, 2017 @ 7:23 PM

@Urooj Islam

I mentioned the 15 year break....

I biked everywhere as a teen and into my early 20s. I biked to University, to work, everywhere!

Then for 15 years, I didn't bike at all. I'm not sure why.

Then, for my birthday in 2012, my girlfriend (who is now my wife) bought me a $500 Giant hybrid and I rode about 250 KM that year, in very small increments. A long ride for me that summer was 10 KM.

You can see the increase in 2013 as I trained for the Ride to Conquer Cancer in June 2014. I basically started with 10 KM rides, increased it to 13 KM rides, eventually got to 20 KM rides and then 25 KM rides and now I usually do a 30-32 KM ride.

The trick is to gradually increase your rides. It also helps that I absolutely love it. It's great for your mental health and really helps you see the city. I now bike anywhere I can reasonably bike to.

August 16, 2017 @ 7:30 PM

Blind Dave

I'm proud of you, man.

As I am nearly blind, cycling is a bit dodgy, though I did it as a kid in a quiet town. I mention occasionally on the Open Mike that I fast walk on a tread and walk on a walking trail. It's a blast to use an android app to track my progress. I use Pedometer Pro by Runtastic. It gives me pretty accurate results on the trail. The tread results are accurate with time and steps, but a bit light on the cals.

I also use a spreadsheet to count my weekly net cals based on in & out.

We are staying healthy in different ways and it is FUN! Although I believe it was Ruth Buzzi who said (paraphrasing) that maintaining good health just allows us to give hundreds of thousands more dollars to the Shady Hills Retirement Home!

August 16, 2017 @ 8:15 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Congrats Mike, you are my surrogate cyclist!

August 16, 2017 @ 10:02 PM

How do you start? Anyone can do it!!!! http://www.torontosun.com/2017/08/12/ill-admit-it---im-a-cyclepath

Serious groaner of an article even if maybe possibly she thinks she means well.

But congrats Mike, that's really awesome.

If all goes as planned I ought to be able to get 20-26 KM in a day starting next week with my new job. I just need to make sure I can comfortably bring my bike in every day. My office already encouraged me to bring it up with room for it, but I need to make sure I can actually get it in the building without bugging anyone. Don't have access to the outside doors yet.

August 17, 2017 @ 12:06 AM

Glasgow Megasnake

Why, oh why, do I have to share the road with a cyclist when I pay road tax and a hefty amount for my license renewal and plate renewal? What do cyclists pay? Why don't they pay?

Get off the road, out of my way.

August 18, 2017 @ 6:27 PM

@Glasgow Megasnake,
Dear previous poster, I salute you for having the finest
posting name/nickname of all time!!!

August 19, 2017 @ 9:53 AM

@Glasgow Megasnake,

Never mind that cyclists often own cars anyway (I know Mike and I do at least) -- everybody pays for the road.

The unique fees a driver pays -- licensing, registration and tax on gas -- goes to provincial and federal governments for transportation projects. In Toronto this means it goes back into the TTC. And before you get all mad at the TTC, if everyone was driving instead of taking public transit, you'd have all those extra people to contend with on the roads as well. The congestion would be impossible.

You still haven't paid a dime for the roads. The budget from that comes from general provincial/city coffers, the largest source of which is property tax.

So really, why do cyclists have to fund ridiculous 10 billion dollar projects like the Gardiner Expressway Rehabilitation? You're welcome.

August 19, 2017 @ 12:31 PM

Rob J

I bet he (or she) works in the greeting card industry.

August 19, 2017 @ 6:15 PM

My commute is now on average 25 KM a day so it's a good start. Lots of opportunity to extend it in the evening too.

August 24, 2017 @ 9:17 AM