Witnessing that 19-1 Debacle

I remember catching the Jays vs. Cleveland many years ago and watching our boys in blue get trounced. I think it was 14-0, but I can't remember exactly. All I know is that up until yesterday it was the worst Jays defeat I had ever witnessed live.

My oldest daughter and I had great seats for yesterday's game. The day started wonderfully, with a great ride along the waterfront trail and the dome opening before first pitch. The Jays were trying to take 3 of 4 from the powerhouse Astros as they head into the all-star break. By the end of the second inning, it was clear that was not to be.

20170709_113507_HDR

In fact, it was 19-0 with two outs in the bottom of the ninth. Had Ezequiel Carrera not homered, it would have been the worst shutout loss in franchise history. But Zeke went deep and it ended up just being the worst loss I'd ever witnessed live.

20170709_133805

Truth be told, because I was there with my daughter in fantastic seats, it was great fun. We even got serious air time coming out of a break on Sportsnet. Someone on Twitter was kind enough to share the footage with me. Clearly I was enjoying the tunes!

We were one of the few to stick around for the final out and now we have a great story to share. During our ride home, we wondered if that all really happened. Did the Jays really just lose by 18 runs? Did we really see it all unfold before our eyes?

CN Tower

I'm still not certain it actually happened...

GDB

Right out of the gate in April, this team looked unmotivated and unprepared to me. Time to fire all the coaching staff including 'Gibby' and bring in some people that will hold this team more accountable.

July 10, 2017 @ 11:24 AM

At the end of April, I wrote this: http://www.torontomike.com/2017/04/jays_in_trouble_but_not_done.html

The Jays played great in May, and were right there when they decided to shit the bed again in June.

I've always felt cautiously optimistic about this team, despite the terrible start, because:
a) I've seen this core win before, and...
b) 1989

Now I think the core simply aged rapidly (they're so slow!) and the arms aren't as advertised due to injury and Marco Estrada.

As for 1989... two things happened to spark the comeback:
a) They changed managers after their 12-24 start
b) They moved to the dome

In conclusion, I won't be putting a deposit down on playoff tickets this season. Although we could still make the playoffs, I no longer believe it will happen.

July 10, 2017 @ 1:34 PM

Rob J

My live-and-in-person sports bummer was Jan 2004 when I was gifted plane and game tickets to Dallas, Texas, to watch my alltime fave NHL team in the beautiful American Airlines Centre. (I had seen them play play several times in Toronto and Buffalo but never as the home team).

Long story short, they got blown out by the Coyotes 6-0.

July 10, 2017 @ 5:35 PM

twins from bolton

Got freebie tiks early last year & my son & I went during the start of their winning streak. We were hyped. Roof was open, cloudy & humid & Dickey was starter. After 1 inning - 5-0 & then after 2 it was 9-0 & no hits for BJays. We left after the 4th & Jays only 1 hit. We decided to leave as pouring now outside & decided to close the roof, another 20 min. delay.
When we got home the game was still on & Jays winning 12-10 top of 9th.
We were in shock.
That goes to show the game ain't over until it's over (Yogi Berra).
19-0 I think the game was over & surprised U stayed.

July 10, 2017 @ 6:00 PM

@twins from bolton

I've never left a game early.

I figured, if we're still having fun, why leave until we have to?

July 10, 2017 @ 6:12 PM

Gary M

During the 9th, I swear I thought to myself "I'm a huge fan of the people who stayed to the last out."

July 11, 2017 @ 3:16 PM

The Voice of Reason

@Mike

The Jays have carried us on a huge roller coaster this season. I however feel that we still have a chance at the post season. Baseball is purer than life; it's symmetrical, fair, and dignified. There's no debating what happened: it happened.

July 12, 2017 @ 3:26 PM

@TVOR

There's a chance, but I won't be putting my hard earned money on the line.

July 12, 2017 @ 3:29 PM

The Voice of Reason

@Mike

But that is why we love sports, it provides raw emotion. I have a friend in Chicago that loves the Cubs. He loves that they finally won a World Series, but also has mentioned that he feels the city has lost their identity in a way.
In a sense the Cubs losing streak was a life all on its own.

July 12, 2017 @ 3:36 PM

@TVOR

I just listed to a 30 for 30 podcast titled Yankees Suck and there's a similar sentiment in Boston. All they wanted was to win the World Series and when it finally happened they lost a little of their identity as the underdog who couldn't beat the Yanks and couldn't win it all.

I sometimes wonder if we'd experience something similar here if the Leafs ever win it all again.

July 12, 2017 @ 3:40 PM

The Voice of Reason

@Mike

Not a Leafs fan, but I do hope they can pull one out during the Mitch Marner era. The celebrations will be monumental. It does make one wonder if the mystique of watching the Leafs will diminish as far as crowd support goes.

I just found an article about a Red Sox fan that may interest you.

July 12, 2017 @ 4:33 PM

Cambo

The team's weaknesses have showed in April and June. When they went on a winning streak, it was with most of their all-star injuries. Tulo/JD on the DL as well as others. The young guys had to step up and manufacture runs- and they did.

The answer is clear. The team is too old/slow. The days of relying on the long ball to win games for you are over. Other teams have retooled for younger speed on the bases. The Jays cannot manufacture runs on the bases because they are not built for speed. This is why they are in the basement. Scouts have learned to pitch carefully and skillfully around the traditional long-ball hitters.

It's not happening this year folks.

July 13, 2017 @ 9:46 AM

Anonymous

Hopefully they will do better after having a break.

July 14, 2017 @ 4:47 PM

Urooj Islam

Hoping they turn it around is the only real option, at least for the rest of the season.

Those fans who advocate the team selling perhaps don't realize how undesirable most of this team is, a lot of old under-performing or poorly performing players with bloated contracts whom no other team is going to realistically want.

The players who do have a lot of trade value ie Marcus Stroman, Roberto Osuna, Justin Smoak, Josh Donaldson, and Aaron Sanchez are players the team isn't going to want to move at the moment.

July 14, 2017 @ 5:08 PM