Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 252: Elvis Kicks Out the Jams!

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 252In this 252nd episode, Mike and Elvis play and discuss his ten favourite songs on his birthday. This episode is exactly 1:38:54.

Become a Patron

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

2017-07-15_02-54-23

Toronto Mike'd is proudly brought to you by Great Lakes Brewery and Property in the 6ix

Great Lakes Beer propertyinthesix.com

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

Rick C in Oakville

Can't wait for the Abba and Captain and Tenille tracks. Just yanking Elvis's chain after a few a few GLB Canuck Pale Ales on my deck!
Cheers!

July 15, 2017 @ 6:11 PM

James Edgar

looking forward to this, Unless it really is Abba and Captain and Tenille tracks Not sure what i'll do then. Either way it has to wait until tomorrow.

July 15, 2017 @ 9:38 PM

Rob J

Super-jealous that E saw Ricky Gervais in concert.

July 15, 2017 @ 9:47 PM

Urooj Islam

Happy Birthday, Elvis!

July 15, 2017 @ 10:43 PM

bsmntdwllr73

What an absolute epic birthday celebration! And to answer one of the points raised in
the podcast, Prince's song "Purple Rain" along with several other songs from that film's
soundtrack were primarily recorded live at the First avenue nightclub in Minneapolis.
And three more things: #1. The only member of Metallica to appear in the "One" video who is no
longer in the band is bassist Jason Newsted. And #2, Bon Scott did not record a version of "For
Those About To Rock", perhaps Elvis was confusing this song with AC/DC's earlier anthem "Let
There Be Rock?" And finally, "Ride On" from AC/DC's "Dirty Deeds" album is probably as close as
the band ever came to recording a ballad. Somewhat sorry for trying to be an amateur musicologist,
seeing as how Monsieur Alan Cross has already filled this position selflessly for decades!!

July 16, 2017 @ 2:09 PM

I love the clarifications in the comments!

July 16, 2017 @ 2:19 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike,
Well, I really don't have anything better to do and I'm happy to have
the outlet!!!

July 16, 2017 @ 2:24 PM

@bsmntdwllr73

With these KOTJ episodes, the guest brings the jams, so often I simply don't know a lot about them. I had a brief and passionate fling with Back in Black in the 80s, but didn't really care for AC/DC beyond that... although I still think Thunderstruck is a great tune...

Fun Fact: the only Elvis jam that wasn't already in my collection is For Those About to Rock (We Salute You).

July 16, 2017 @ 2:32 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike,
In my not so humble opinion, the best '80s era AC/DC is the "Flick Of The Switch"
album from 1983, and 1986's "Who Made Who." Otherwise, it is best to stick to
the golden Bon Scott years!

July 16, 2017 @ 2:38 PM

Beatts

Now that I know ACDC appears on this episode I'm listening for sure.

Now that I know Mike is not an ACDC fan I'm crowding his bike lane.

July 16, 2017 @ 3:28 PM

@Beatts

I didn't say I disliked AC/DC, I just haven't intentionally played an AC/DC song in about 30 years.... until yesterday!

July 16, 2017 @ 3:31 PM

Beatts

Bon Scott era ACDC is the real deal. As admirable of a job Brian Johnson did, Bon is on another level as far as rock and roll front men go.

He personifies the fighting, fucking and rocking part to a T.

July 16, 2017 @ 3:31 PM

Beatts

My future grandkids will recoil in horror at your heinous comments when i recant this tale.

July 16, 2017 @ 3:34 PM

bsmntdwllr73

Chad Kroeger is to rock what Dane Cook is to comedy! Anyone who
doesn't agree with this unimpeachable statement is clearly not a true fan
of either of these art forms!!

July 16, 2017 @ 3:41 PM

James Edgar

epic episode! The correction has already been made so i won't belabor the point that Bon never did a version of For those about to rock. But Bon never did a version of For those about to rock.

Also Aerosmith was pretty big in the early/mid 70's until drugs and alcohol caught up and the seriously sucked live. More than dream on was a hit if my memory is correct.

"Mike when I tell the story, you mentioned Chad Kroeger being a better front man then Bon Scott." There is so much wrong with this I have no words.

July 16, 2017 @ 5:12 PM

Beatts

James, my future grandkids couldn't believe he said it either. History will show it was a pivotal turning point in his podcast.

July 16, 2017 @ 6:35 PM

elvis

Thanks everyone! I had a great time and happily stand corrected as noted above. Thanks for keeping me/us honest.

Peace and love. Peace and love.

July 16, 2017 @ 7:00 PM

Brandon

Great listen! I'm inspired now to check out some of the albums the songs chosen came from. I always like putting the breakout songs in context with the time/place the rest of the album was recorded.

Elvis mentioned those long CD cases when CD's were sold in their earlier years. Yes - they are called "longboxes". The motivation was apparently three-fold - 1) To allow record stores or other retailers who had 12x12" bins for vinyl records to not have to change the shelving right away because these were tall and could be shelved side-by-side, 2) To reduce theft because of the large size making it harder to steal, and 3) Respond to criticism that CD's were too small to feature artwork and the longbox allowed taller artwork and on the front/back full surface. Environmental outcries about all the wasted packaging and materials eventually won out!

July 16, 2017 @ 7:48 PM

Beatts

Started listening this morning on my half hour drive to work. Only at the start of Stairway to Heaven.

I should be done this episode by late Thursday.

July 17, 2017 @ 7:09 AM

Rick C in Oakville

Very nice collection. Loved the Return to Sender opener, probably haven't heard this song since the early 70's, the last time I saw Girl Girls Girls. Shortly after this I discovered harder rock.

July 17, 2017 @ 9:46 PM

Brandon

@Rick C

I always liked "A Little Less Conversation" as a favorite Elvis Track. Energy and momentum in spades. Although, like many people I only learned of it from the 2002 Junkie XL remix.

July 18, 2017 @ 5:26 PM

Roshan

Is that Elvis sans long beard?????

August 1, 2017 @ 12:00 PM

@Roshan

In the flesh!

August 1, 2017 @ 1:13 PM

Alex

Listened to this episode and I loved it. You and Elvis have a great rapport, and his KOTJ list was amazing. There wasn't a song that I didn't like and his nod to the epic songs was... well... epic. Elvis is a guy that I could have a (GLB) beer with and talk music all day long.

Mike... I have heard you namedrop your cousin Mark the goalie. He was my next door neighbour growing up in Mississauga. Terrific guy along with his dad and the rest of the family.

August 2, 2017 @ 9:31 PM

@Alex

Thanks for the comment!

Sadly, Mark's dad (my uncle) passed away in 2008. I wrote about him here: http://www.torontomike.com/2008/01/uncle_bruce.html

August 2, 2017 @ 9:47 PM

Alex

Thanks for sharing. Great write up.

I knew he had passed away. He was a big help for my mom after my dad passed away. He'd often shovel her driveway as her kids were off at school. I was grateful for those acts of kindness.

Keep up the terrific work. #1 podcast in my books. Ahead of even the Bobcat and PTS!!! Just heard the (Mike) Wilner KOTJ this morning... loved his CanCon from Rush to Gowan!!!

August 3, 2017 @ 12:19 PM

@Alex

It starts and ends with Gowan!

August 3, 2017 @ 4:29 PM

elvis

Thanks a million Alex. I really appreciate the kind words but most importantly, glad you enjoyed the podcast!

August 5, 2017 @ 10:20 AM