Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 246: Bob Mackowycz

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 246In this 246th episode, Mike chats with Bob Mackowycz, Jr. about his dad, his relationships with Marek and Strombo, his years at Off the Record, CBC Radio 2, TSN 1050, his health struggles and his new podcast with Matthew Cauz. This episode is exactly 1:44:16.

Become a Patron

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Bob Mackowycz, Jr. and Me

Toronto Mike'd is proudly brought to you by Great Lakes Brewery and Property in the 6ix

Great Lakes Beer propertyinthesix.com

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

* Ghost of Cheryl

First.

June 23, 2017 @ 3:50 PM

bsmntdwllr73

My favourite memory about Game was their recurring bit in which they
would advise listeners on imminent adult content on various late-night
movies on Bravo and Showcase. Also, great shout-out to Jim Richards. His
years on The Night Side were beyond legendary!!

June 23, 2017 @ 4:42 PM

Thomas

I'm only 30 minutes into this but at this point I would say it's one of my favourites Mike. Mackowycz is a natural storyteller.

June 23, 2017 @ 7:46 PM

@Thomas

Macko was amazing. Such great stories...

June 23, 2017 @ 8:07 PM

stephen

out-fucking-standing.......
enjoyed listening to macko on tsn.

June 23, 2017 @ 9:38 PM

James Edgar

Wow. That was great!

June 26, 2017 @ 1:28 PM

Rob J

The joy in your voice whenever you get to explain the geography of 'New Toronto' is palpable!

(I could never be friends with someone who calls goals and assists "grapes and apples")

June 26, 2017 @ 4:21 PM

@Rob J

Macko seemed sincerely fascinated by the fact he wasn't actually in Mimico!

My son was calling assists "apples" this past winter. I didn't partake.

June 26, 2017 @ 4:26 PM

Freedom 55

Another great episode. I enjoyed hearing the behind the scenes at OTR. I often wondered how certain guests on that show had an opinion (and often good one) on the sport stories of the day. Macko answered that question for me....lots of prep work with the guests to formulate an opinion.

Mike - I have another challenge for you (since you have discarded my previous challenge). For your 300th episode, you should have the "3 Amigos" on the podcast.

As per usual, I do have a complaint -- I did not enjoy your desperate plea to be invited to Strombo's house. That was uncomfortable.

June 27, 2017 @ 8:05 AM

@Freedom 55

Idea: Send me your complaints via email. I now have the displeasure of having a comment on every episode with you complaining about something or other. And unlike many complaints I get, yours are never constructive. You complained about the photo on the 12:36 episode, the Fred Penner's Place intro I played, and now this. Why bother?

June 27, 2017 @ 8:21 AM

Freedom 55

That was my attempt of some sarcastic ribbing with you. Obviously it did not work.

June 27, 2017 @ 9:38 AM

James Edgar

As I've already said great episode, I'll add that he really got me thinking about some things.

I don't sleep all that well. I don't know if I ever have. my wife gave me a fitbit a couple of years ago and according to it i average about 4 hours a night. ( there are known issues with the fitbit sleep measurements so i'm not taking the Fitbit results as gospel of course)

I was sent for a sleep study about 18 months ago and was diagnosed with very mild apnea if i slept on my back. the dr also said i change sleep states with unusual frequency and speed but he had no idea why. I have since learned that the clinic i went to is not considered all that good. My family Dr actually almost laughed when i told her where i went . She's going to refer my somewhere else (soon i Hope) .

So Macko's story of why he was off rang a few bells , I too have had some anxiety/depression and of course I'm Tired as Fuck all the time. I've changed my lifestyle considerably the last 3 months and lost 26 lbs as a result but it hasn't helped with my sleep or anxiety /depression.

Thanks to a little inspiration from this podcast I'm going to get back to my dr and try and make some progress on gertting back to normal.

June 27, 2017 @ 9:47 AM

@Freedom 55

I totally missed that tone. Maybe I shouldn't reply to comments until I've had my cup of french press coffee.

June 27, 2017 @ 9:51 AM

@James Edgar

Be persistent! Remember, Macko was originally told by the doc that his issues were because of his early wakeup time.

If you think something's wrong, get a second opinion and advocate for yourself until you're completely satisfied.

June 27, 2017 @ 9:52 AM

Liz

40 minutes in on this one - what a treat!

What a nice guy - I could listen to Bob tell his stories all day.

Again, very well done, Mike!

July 9, 2017 @ 2:34 PM

Neal

What a fantastic interview with Macko!

Great work!