Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 245: 12:36

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 245In this 245th episode, Mike chats with Marc Weisblott of 12:36 about the current state of the media in Canada. This episode is exactly 2:03:45.

Become a Patron

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

12:36

Toronto Mike'd is proudly brought to you by Great Lakes Brewery and Property in the 6ix

Great Lakes Beer propertyinthesix.com

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

Urooj Islam

Time for the Ezra Levant drinking game.

June 22, 2017 @ 5:06 PM

Steve

Please don't sing 'same as it ever was', I like that song :(

June 22, 2017 @ 5:29 PM

bsmntdwllr73

Congrats on another great 12:36 episode. In fact I'd like to suggest that
we start a campaign to have Mr. Weisblott nominated for the Order of
Ontario!! His peerless dedication to both the highs and lows of today's (largely)
disposable pop culture is very commendable!

June 22, 2017 @ 6:54 PM

The Voice of Reason

Mike, enjoyed the episode, not the best pose in the photo however.

June 22, 2017 @ 8:17 PM

markosaar

My younger brother was recently talking about listening to Paul Simon's Graceland. I mentioned that was a landmark album for bringing 'world music' into western pop.

But then it occurred to me that perhaps I ought to fact check as it was just something I'd heard over the years ... fortunately I turned out to be correct. But what surprised me was that the Talking Heads were also known for doing the same.

And that let me to their concert movie, Stop Making Sense, directed by Jonathan Demme. Holy hell it was so good! I've now watched it three times in a couple weeks. For music/home theatre nerds, the 5.1 mix of it is fantastic. I can't believe how good this show recorded in 1983 sounds now.

I also didn't realise many consider it the best concert movie ever made before I got into it. So good.

June 22, 2017 @ 8:24 PM

Urooj Islam

The Norm Twitter account is worse than ISIS.

June 22, 2017 @ 9:51 PM

@1236

@Urooj no Ezra talk today!

June 22, 2017 @ 11:01 PM

Phil

I heard Sergeant Randy Pepper allowed The Beatles to perform human sacrifice while they were in Toronto - that was the "anything they wanted." and that's why they made a whole album under his name. Also, great stories about CFTO and stuff this time.

June 24, 2017 @ 10:42 PM

James Edgar

Another compelling episode Mike. You're really on a roll lately.

June 26, 2017 @ 4:37 PM

@James Edgar

Thanks!

June 26, 2017 @ 4:39 PM

Freedom 55

Great episode. Marc is very detailed and knows his stuff. I enjoyed his banter on personal musical choices and laughed when he made the Public Enemy comment.

One observation: Marc Weisblott = Nardwuar

As per usual, I do have one complaint. Please refrain from rehashing photos from previous podcasts with Marc as Festivus has already passed.

June 26, 2017 @ 9:12 PM

@1236

I force Mike to do these conceptual pics which I end up disliking! then his baby starts crying or whatever ... we'll have to do a good one on the other side of summer ...

June 26, 2017 @ 9:17 PM

Urooj Islam

Marc was definitely right about the Public Enemy thing and I agree that it's admirable that Wilner is completely shameless about his selections. One of the few things that made me like Wilner.

I don't get why people always throw in that one hip hop song just to grasp at some credibility, just be honest.

June 26, 2017 @ 10:39 PM

@1236

see, thanks to the music video shows and the hipster aspects of Toronto commercial radio, I had a pretty good grasp on what constituted mainstream vs. alternative music by the time I took any interest in these things — but I literally know where Wilner comes from! (he was one of those kids that I could sneer as a rock snob)

June 26, 2017 @ 10:47 PM

Rob J

June 26, 2017 @ 11:00 PM

markosaar

My hated list song would be whatever the hits were from the summer that songs like Katy Perry's California Girls and Taio Cruz's Dynamite were big. Worked in an open concept office where the neighbour had a top 10 station on all day long. Drove me completely insane hearing the same damn songs over and over 8-9 times a day.

June 27, 2017 @ 10:19 AM

Rob J

For me, 'novelty songs' are the worst. Oh, and I agree with @1236 that when a guitar makes its appearance at a party or bonfire, it's time to bid adieu.

June 27, 2017 @ 11:19 AM

Beatts

Why pull the original pic down ? It was hilarious.

June 28, 2017 @ 9:05 AM

Beatts

@Rob J

Re: "I don't mind TM's foray into Jam Kicking, but I'd prefer the list of people's *least* favourite songs...not unlike when Siskel and Ebert did their annual 'Worst Movies of the Year' countdown."

Fingers crossed but I think you may see something like that in the future. I was suggesting something similar to Mike also...

June 28, 2017 @ 9:07 AM

@Beatts

When someone in the picture requests removal, I always oblige.

June 28, 2017 @ 9:12 AM

Beatts

Understandable. It was hilarious though. :)

June 28, 2017 @ 9:33 AM

Rob J

Finally finished listening. Anyone who craves -no, demands- a lengthy discussion of Toronto supermarket history and geography will be well happy.

June 28, 2017 @ 10:51 PM