Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 240: Hugh Burrill

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 240In this 240th episode, Mike chats with The Fan 590 morning show host Hugh Burrill about his years at CityTV, Rogers Sportsnet and The Fan 590. This episode is exactly 1:31:45.

Become a Patron

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Hugh Burrill and me

Toronto Mike'd is proudly brought to you by Great Lakes Brewery and Property in the 6ix

Great Lakes Beer propertyinthesix.com

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

Beatts

Barefoot and in sweatpants !! Yes !

Looking forward to your Ann Rohmer show in a Speedo and cowboy hat :)

June 5, 2017 @ 2:21 PM

Urooj Islam

This Ann Rohmer podcast is the most hyped event in Toronto Mike'd history.

It will require a pre-show and a post-show with Elvis to analyze everything going into the show and coming out of it.

Glad to hear that it is happening sometime in July, first time we've heard of any type of date for it.

June 5, 2017 @ 2:28 PM

dale

I thought Andy Frost was gonna be on. What happened?

June 5, 2017 @ 2:32 PM

Beatts

Urooj is onto something.

June 5, 2017 @ 2:47 PM

Beatts

I like that idea alot

June 5, 2017 @ 2:47 PM

@dale

He is coming on.

Some guests take longer than others to commit to a specific day and time.

June 5, 2017 @ 2:48 PM

@Urooj Islam

Post game will be with Mr. 12:36.

June 5, 2017 @ 2:50 PM

Beatts

Good episode. You busted his chops pretty good at times but he's a good sport.

Sorry To Brian G but I don't like the jingle. I do appreciate the fact Brian is a sponsor, but the little advertising blurb at the start of each episode with real estate insights seems too forced.

June 5, 2017 @ 5:07 PM

Riddle me this, @Beatts...

How would you do the propertyinthesix.com sponsor mention in a less forced manner?

June 5, 2017 @ 5:10 PM

andrew

Champions Choice sox are on sale at Towers & Consumers Distributing.
Please buy a pair for next podcast.

June 5, 2017 @ 5:27 PM

Beatts

It's a question I am slightly apprehensive to answer because I don't want to seem more dickish than I think I've already come off.

I like Brian and love the fact he sponsors you so take that in mind before you read what I'm about to write...

Those insights come off as insincere and sometimes cringe-worthy or swarmy.

As a listener who enjoys the podcast I would entertain using his services automatically because he supports you. I find it kind of kills the flow with the guest after introductions. (I understand why it's done, it just comes off forced and clunky)

*I've deleted this 3 times and rewrote. Not trying to hurt feelings but I'll always be a straight shooter and give you my thoughts good or bad.

June 5, 2017 @ 5:28 PM

@Beatts

I did find the tips were little long, so I asked Brian to shorten them.... to make them crisper. I thought it was much better this week.

Right after the GLB presentation I try to present the pint glass, play the jingle and share a succinct tip from Brian. After a lot of thought, I think this is the least obtrusive way.

June 5, 2017 @ 5:34 PM

Beatts

@TM

Agreed, today's was better. I think asking every guest if they like the jingle would grow old quick though.

June 5, 2017 @ 5:37 PM

@Beatts

That I will stop doing. :)

June 5, 2017 @ 5:38 PM

@andrew

Weren't Champions Choice the Bi-Way brand?

p.s. I find socks oppressive.

June 5, 2017 @ 5:39 PM

Sam in Pickering

Loved this episode. Great rapport and a very fun listen.

June 5, 2017 @ 5:40 PM

Neil Clarke Warren

@ andrew I have also seen (on sale) Champions Choice sox at Sayvette and at Bargain Harold's (2 nd floor).

June 6, 2017 @ 4:11 AM

markosaar

I think we need to arrange a fancast for the Ann Rohmer episode, like TV episode post-mortum shows.

June 6, 2017 @ 11:15 PM

Rob J

Careful in over-anticipating Ann's appearance. The retirement issue could be dealt with in a couple minutes, possibly with her being coy as we've seen with Davis and the guy that used to work with Blundell.

Besides the retirement question, how will the episode be overly memorable?

June 7, 2017 @ 12:24 AM

Justin

The new FAN 590 morning show is fantastic and Hugh is a big part of that. Kudos to them for finally finding the right show after constant turnover, hopefully they stick with it for a long time.

June 7, 2017 @ 1:41 AM

@Rob J

Even if Ann had never retired, she'd be a great guest. So much to talk about regardless!

Assuming we have good chemistry, and I'll bet we do, it'll be a great episode.

June 7, 2017 @ 8:26 AM

Rob J

Definitely didn't mean to imply it won't be great! I'm just wary of hype as a general rule and hope that the Ann-fans in the TM Universe aren't expecting too much when the big day comes.

June 7, 2017 @ 10:27 AM

@Rob J

And everyone demands a refund!

June 7, 2017 @ 10:29 AM

Rob J

When you were recording the 10 gems of YBS, you likely never dreamed you'd have such first-rate guests like Ann, not to mention 2 great sponsors. Quite a journey!

June 7, 2017 @ 11:10 AM

Freedom 55

Mike

Some thoughts...

Great episode. I always thought Hugh was a nice guy and is a pleasure to listen to.

Please ensure Ann Rohmer's visit to your studios is the highlight of my 2017. I need you to dig deep into the stories behind the retirement parties. Perhaps a Toronto Mike'd retirement cake is also in order for this historic event.

I love the Property in the 6ix jingle. Would love to hear a jingle for GLB.

Finally, when will you be doing a remote podcast from the GLB brewery patio? Take it to another level this summer. Live music (Maestro Fresh Wes, Lowest of the Low and iLLvibe), a podcast panel featuring Elvis, 12:36, Retrontario and Kendrick Pompey. A piece of Toronto Mike'd Ann Rohmer retirement cake for the guests. The Property in the Six piano player as background music. This would be another highlight for in in 2017. Do it!

June 8, 2017 @ 8:14 AM

@Freedom 55

I love it all. I need you on Team Toronto Mike'd.

I have just one complaint.... it's Kenrick, not Kendrick. The 'D' is invisible.

I'm not sure about a live recording from GLB, but we should definitely have a meet and greet of some sort on the patio this summer. Would you come?

June 8, 2017 @ 8:22 AM

Freedom 55

The 'D' is "allegedly" invisible. Until you have Mr. "Soul Train meets Daisy Dukes" in the flesh to correct me I will assume that I am right.

June 8, 2017 @ 8:45 AM

Freedom 55

Yes I would come. You need to do a live recording of the podcast. Use the same PA system that you would use for the live music (paid by GLB) and record it from the mixing console. You can pull it off. $10 donation to enter. 1/2 of the proceeds going towards a charity, the other half going towards the keeping the Toronto Mike'd podcast sustainable. Do it!

June 8, 2017 @ 8:58 AM

James Edgar

Loved the discussion , always liked Hugh. Not a fan of the jingle but hey if they support you it's not much of a stretch to listen to it.

And i finally figured out that i could download them onto my phone and listen on my commute (Doh) well finally put some thought into it and did that i mean.

The GLB thing sounds fun. If available i'd drop by. I have Fridays off for six weeks starting july 7th. well I'm away for the last 6 but i'm free the 7th and 14th probably LOL. I AM going to go for a visit one of those days for sure , I'm a big fan of the beer and all your talk of the Friday lunches really has me hungry.

June 8, 2017 @ 10:03 AM

For some reason, Google Play Music won't play the last ten minutes, so if that's how you listen you'll need to pick up the ending from this page or iTunes or anywhere else.

June 15, 2017 @ 10:05 AM