Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 236: Retrontario Kicks Out the Jams!

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 236In this 236th episode, Mike and Ed "Retrontario" Conroy kick out the jams with Delores Clamen, Guido Basso, Roland Parliament, Harry Forbes, Terry Bush, Tommy Ambrose and more. This episode is exactly 1:15:54.

Become a Patron

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Retrontario and Me

Toronto Mike'd is proudly brought to you by Great Lakes Brewery and Property in the 6ix

Great Lakes Beer propertyinthesix.com

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

Sandra

Great podcast brought back a lot of memories--I recognized every clip. Funky Chimes has been my ringtone for a few years now.

May 8, 2017 @ 4:17 PM

markosaar

Was hoping for a nice nostalgic time, wasn't expecting the chat about YouTube strikes.

My account got one recently too ... and it's frozen until I do the idiotic 'copyright boot camp' bullshit and agree to a bunch of stuff that doesn't work. I may as well delete everything I've posted that's been watched a million+ times by now to properly adhere.

All I have on mine are relatively obscure music videos from the early 90s. Some of these I did some painstaking restoration work to salvage from horrendous EP-quality VHS.

Not sure how to proceed from here. I'm 100% certain that the band in question doesn't give a shit, but they might not have the publishing rights. Also by virtue of them not caring, I don't know that they could go through the bother of defending me if I were to ask them to take it up with the label that initiated it against me.

May 8, 2017 @ 8:34 PM

@markosaar

Before the sponsor mentions, you never know what you're gonna get.

Sorry to hear that about your YouTube... that's a pain in the ass for one strike.

May 8, 2017 @ 8:51 PM

Bill Young

Mike and Ed, i loved listening to this entire episode! I remember when "Ontario - yours to discover!" seemed to be everywhere. Thanks for mentioning the Night Walk/Ride/Moves live stream! It's been running 24/7 since late February and can be found at http://www.nightwalk.ca . I recently had a conversation with someone who knows Guido Basso - I'll let her know to inform him about this episode. Both of you please keep up the great work!

May 8, 2017 @ 9:27 PM

In this episode, Ed and I wondered aloud why we hadn't heard the Funky Chimes from Sesame Street sampled in a rap song.

@lundie on Twitter just alerted me to the fact it has been done!

May 9, 2017 @ 9:32 AM

Rick

Always great to hear Ed. He does such a fine job at finding all kinds of forgotten gems. I am still floored he found Sidestreet recently.

May 9, 2017 @ 12:45 PM

Al The Royal Pain

Great episode! I still sing that "I Wanna Go To The Zoo" song to myself when I take the kids to the zoo. They must I'm crazy.

May 9, 2017 @ 1:43 PM

markosaar

@Toronto Mike,

It's not my content anyway, just wish the process was more ... human.

May 9, 2017 @ 1:56 PM

@markosaar

I hear ya.

I'm buds with Custom, a musician best known for his alt rock hit Hey Mister 15 years ago. With his explicit permission, I uploaded his old music videos. Youtube sent me an email about not being the copyright holder and it was a serious pain in the butt, even with Custom saying I could upload the videos. It's not a very human process

May 9, 2017 @ 2:04 PM

Rob J

If I were in MLB, "The Funky Chimes" would be my walk-up music.

May 9, 2017 @ 2:21 PM

Brandon

Solid episode! I like the consistency of the recurring guests (Weisblott, Elvis, Retrontario), as you mentioned, as "regulars" and touchstones with the one-off conversations with guests between them.

And here's one way to bring "Funky Chimes" into the canon of Toronto/Ontario-centric music tracks as a trivia point: That three-note motif heard on, well, the chimes in this version (when the "Sesame Street" theme song is sung, it's on the words "Sun-ny day...") is the same series of intervals as the TTC subway door closing chime (just a major triad, descending).

May 9, 2017 @ 5:40 PM

@Brandon

There ya go! All the pieces matter...

May 9, 2017 @ 5:58 PM

Marc

I'm still not over the fact that Alfie Zappacosta did the famous Pizza Nova jingle.

Canadian musician Ben McPeek (Sr.), who died at age 46 in 1981, was another hugely prominent jingle writer in the ‘60s and ‘70s. He wrote jingles for Coke, Speedy Muffler, TD Bank, Labatt, and arranged the CA-NA-DA song for Expo 67. His sons Ben and Geoff are also musicians, and Geoff owns the Belljar Café on Dundas West.

May 11, 2017 @ 10:09 AM

Rick C in Oakville

What a walk down my teenage years, with all the Ontario promos. It truly was a time of optimism in our Province.

The Start got some airplay I think on Q107, as I remember the song and in 1980 all i listened to was the mighty Q.

May 13, 2017 @ 5:13 PM