Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 235: Stormin' Norman Rumack

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 235In this 235th episode, Mike chats with Norman Rumack about his long run on The Fan 590, being the Late Night Vampire, hammerhead alerts, and so much more. This episode is exactly 1:27:40.

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Stormin' Norman Rumack and Me

Become a Patron

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

Guy

I miss Norm on 590. Used to listen to him a lot late at night. I always thought he had a great stable of guests and his interviews were well done and interesting.
Good to hear him again! Thanks Mike!

May 3, 2017 @ 9:30 PM

Urooj Islam

I really miss Norm and what he represented in the Toronto market, a consistent late night sports talk radio presence, which has been missing since he was let go. WIthout one, the entire market feels kind of JV. I mean, we have no real local sports talk on radio after a certain time of the day other than live game broadcasts and really bad post-game call in shows.

This episode was like hearing from an old family member, can't thank Norm and Roger enough for all the entertainment they provided late into the night. They really had a fantastic show.

May 3, 2017 @ 10:30 PM

Rob J

The list of former FAN personalities that undoubtedly would be welcome replacements for the current crop (many of whom have been fired-rehired and-or shuffled due to poor performance) is very long.

May 3, 2017 @ 10:53 PM

Omar

Miss the late night vampire too. Can't believe in the city the size of TO we dont have local late night sports talk.

May 3, 2017 @ 11:32 PM

Derek

Get that Stafford some beer, Mike!

May 4, 2017 @ 10:30 AM

@Derek

I have some for him! Just tweeted him about it.

Every guest before January 2015 went home beer-less. :(

May 4, 2017 @ 10:31 AM

Derek

(I totally just left a comment in the wrong spot!!)

HAMMERHEAD ALERT!!!!

May 4, 2017 @ 10:33 AM

@Derek

You're the reason I need that soundclip!

May 4, 2017 @ 10:35 AM

GDB

@ Rob J

I was thinking the same thing. The former FAN personalities, are for the most part, better than what they have now. I often wondered by TSN just doesn't hire some of them and put them on air.

May 4, 2017 @ 10:48 AM

Rob J

@ GDB

My full disclosure is that I come to Tor sports-media from the perspective of one who isn't a fan of the local teams but loves interesting and varied voices and topics, even if they never discuss the teams I like.

Obviously, once the media corps started buying the teams, the broadcasts and analysis essentially became de facto day-long infomercials for the clubs. I realize I could never be a Tor sports fan, as I like to form my own thoughts and conclusions, rather than echo the corporate narrative. Most media members have no more knowledge or insight than the average fan, yet what they say is held as gospel.

Listening to a dozen or more Bell-Rogers employees discuss issues relating to the Argos, Jays, Leafs, etc etc is like only hearing billionaires discuss the benefits of tax cuts.

I wonder how former FAN personnel would fare in this environment...there'd certainly be a lot of 'Wilner Weekends' for those who'd fail to tow the line!

May 4, 2017 @ 12:31 PM

@Rob J

You can still form your own thoughts and conclusions, even if the big sports media companies own the team(s).

I'm a big fan of the Leafs, Jays and Raptors, and I can jump on a TFC and Argos bandwagon with the best of them, but I form my own conclusions about the clubs and only watch when it's entertaining and fun.

May 4, 2017 @ 1:23 PM

Rob J

I've found the worst thing you can say to a Tor fan when they're predicting success for a team tonight, tomorrow, next week, next month, and-or next year is that 'a dozen other fan-bases believe the exact same success is in store for their teams.'

That and 'I'll believe it when I see it' which is obviously seen as 'negative'. Oh well, it's all in good fun, and I appreciate this forum as a place to air my (likely unpopular) views!

May 4, 2017 @ 4:27 PM

@Rob J

How's this for team predictions.

The Jays will miss the playoffs and finish under .500 this season.

The Raptors will lose this second round series to the Cavs, either in 4 or 5.

The Maple Leafs will win the next five Stanley Cups.

May 4, 2017 @ 4:31 PM

Rob J

I really need to see a Toronto-Dallas Final at some point. So close in 1999. (Only time ever they were both in the Final 4).
In fact, they've only met twice at all in the playoffs, back in the North Star days. They were either both lousy, or only one was good.

May 4, 2017 @ 4:56 PM

Al The Royal Pain

This was one of my favourite episodes Mike. I miss hearing Norm's voice. Takes me back. Admittedly, I wasn't a listener of his right until the end....but that had more to do with my radio-listening habits than with Him. It would be great to get him back in at some point.

May 5, 2017 @ 11:58 AM

Justin

@Urooj Islam

Very well said. The FOX/CBS/ESPN sports radio shows our sports stations are at night are usually unlistenable. Way too much talk about college sports and the NFL. I used to listen to Norm and Jeff Sammut's short-lived night-time shows all the time, unfortunately the powers that be have deprived us of that. AM 640 airs C2C replays and 1010 runs some syndicated shows I believe, so one of the largest media markets in North America has no live and local radio after 10:00pm. It's actually ridiculous and borderline unacceptable.

May 5, 2017 @ 3:25 PM

Daniel

Thanks for this, Mike. I used to love Norm as a kid. I didn't listen as much as I got older, but in a weird way it was nice knowing he was there. It's a shame he's not on anymore.

@Justin - totally agree. The Fan used to have all kinds of late night and weekend programming, letting the young guys go wild a bit. It was fun. They should bring that back - can't cost THAT much.

May 7, 2017 @ 9:08 PM

Bill

Great to hear Norm again. I was a day one listener on 1430 with the overnight Richards and Rumack show. I called the show a few times, when I could get through. Great memories!!!

August 22, 2017 @ 11:40 PM