Chance the Rapper at Budweiser Stage

Here's a fun fact that gets less fun the more you think about it. Last night, I attended the very first concert at Budweiser Stage. That's pretty cool until you realize it's the same ol' amphitheatre you've been to dozens of time with fresh paint and a new name.

Chance the Rapper

I was there with my oldest daughter to see Chance the Rapper. The last time I took her to a show, it was Selena Gomez, and the crowd was so young there were plenty of parental units in the crowd. This time, it was 99% high school and university students and I was the unicorn. For fun, we tried to find another person on the lawns who looked like they were over the age of 30. We struck out.

Chance the Rapper

My oldest two kids have been playing Chance the Rapper around the house for years, but it wasn't until last night that I realized how many of his songs I knew. It was fantastic with the most positive vibe I've ever experienced at a concert. When the skies really opened up around 10:45pm and the lightning became more frequent we were played out with Blessings 2 and Michelle and I bolted for the bikes.

As we biked west on an empty Martin Goodman Trail, soaking wet and full of song, it was the absolute best feeling. What an amazing night.

Blessings, indeed.

James Edgar

Awesome. Glad you had had fun. We are taking my daughter to a show at the amphitheatre in July I hope it's as positive as this sounds like it was.

May 31, 2017 @ 10:17 AM

@James Edgar

Which show?

May 31, 2017 @ 10:24 AM

Rob J

Lindsey Buckingham and Christine McVie of Fleetwood Mac are performing there on July 5, with special guest The Wallflowers. I'm leaning toward attending.

May 31, 2017 @ 11:37 AM

Urooj Islam

Good to hear you and your kid had fun, you've been talking about this concert for months so I'm glad to hear it lived up to you and your daughter's expectations.

I am 30 and can't even name a CTR song, unfortunately. :(

May 31, 2017 @ 12:06 PM

WestCoast Irv

Chance is great. Heard him on Beats 1. Still has no label either. Mainstream radio ignored the guy (typical) but Coloring Book is awesome. LIl Chano from 79

May 31, 2017 @ 1:21 PM

James Edgar

We are going to see muse with 30 seconds to Mars. 2 of my wife's favourites (i like them too but not quite so much) , Morgan has been force fed them for years so she's a fan too.

That is a difference from your going to Chance the rapper. My wife decided to buy tickets and told Morgan afterwards. From what i remember your daughter asked to see Chance. so far Morgan has not asked to see anyone.

Morgans first show also at the amphitheatre was Dave Matthews last year which she went to due to me getting back from a bike trip late. She's also been listening to DMB for years as they are also a favourite of my wife. Morgan loved it.

The crowd will be pretty different as well I'm guessing.

May 31, 2017 @ 1:40 PM

@James Edgar

Oh yes, she came to me and asked me to buy us tickets to see Chance the Rapper. She wanted me to get tickets for her when he played Echo Beach a year or so ago but I failed. This time, I grabbed two lawns right away.

My oldest son is also a huge CTR fan and I offered to give him my ticket but he passed. My gain!

May 31, 2017 @ 1:50 PM

Urooj Islam

@WestCoast Irv

It's 2017, you don't need radio exposure or a label to be successful.

May 31, 2017 @ 2:50 PM

J

I really like this venue even though I have only been there to see Hall and Oates. Also, I totally got tickets for under the roof just in case. I'm glad you had fun, and enjoyed it despite the rain.

@Rob J - That July 5th combo sounds amazing. Don't know if I know enough of their stuff, but Fleetwood Mac has a song on the Guardians of the Galaxy 2 soundtrack (The Chain) and it is so beautiful.

This makes me want to see nothing but concerts this summer *sigh*

May 31, 2017 @ 3:17 PM

dale

Before the Molson Amphitheatre is was called Ontario Place Forum.
Saw a few concerts there & in the early 80's big names at that time played.
Best of my set - Toto (in their heyday & placed was packed like sardines, but got in with a person who worked there & was sitting backstage). April Wine/Chilliwack, July 1st Tribute (many Cdn. bands) with a 4-5 hr concert. Howard Jones (not a fan but took my sister who was for her BDay).
Then the sound was great under the roof, but on the grass resonated with delay.
Such Memories.

May 31, 2017 @ 6:09 PM

@dale

I saw my first concert at the Forum. Rotating stage.

I wouldn't say the Amp was originally the Forum because it was a completely different venue. They bulldozed the Forum, after all.

May 31, 2017 @ 6:40 PM

Rob J

@ J

"The Chain" is amazing track (appears on the smash "Rumours" album from 1977)...Fun Fact: It's their only song ever where all 5 members have a writing credit.

May 31, 2017 @ 6:43 PM

Javed Jafri

@ Rob remember Fleetwood Mac went through at least four incarnations. The constants being Mick Fleetwood and John McVie. The early blues version led by Peter Green started in 1968 and had the original version of Black Majic Woman. My favorite version of the group is when they included Danny Kirwan and Bob Welsh as members as heard on the album Bare Trees.

Some exceptional guitarists went thru that group including Peter Green, Jeremy Spencer and Danny Kirwan.

Lindsay Buckingham is also a great musician of course but with a different ( big) Mac.

May 31, 2017 @ 8:02 PM

Rob J

@Javed Jafri

You're exactly right about the band's deep history and various incarnations, and I should have noted the pre-1975 lineups.

When they toured in 2009, FM actually performed "Oh Well" with Lindsey taking the lead. I wonder if John, Mick, and Christine ever felt the pre Lindsey-Stevie era got short shrift when they toured from 175 to the presnt. Really amazing how they seamlessly went from folk-rock-blues to pop in the mid-70s. I wonder how their fans felt at the time and whether they remained loyal after a fairly sudden turn in sound.

I've been fortunate to have seen Lindsey as a solo artist in concert many times. Extremely underrated as a guitarist and vocalist (IMO).

May 31, 2017 @ 8:52 PM

Javed Jafri

I said four incarnations for FM but it was maybe 4 different era's and the membership changes were many. A group to be enjoyed for more than the big hits but Lindsay Buckingham is a great talent.

May 31, 2017 @ 9:03 PM

Rob J

Totally agree! Great convo, Sir. All the best.

May 31, 2017 @ 9:09 PM

WestCoast Irv

So how does a thread about a modern day new music rapper end up mired in 70's rock. Oh wait it's old radio guys. #1974

May 31, 2017 @ 11:33 PM

Guys, I can't judge. The last four bands I paid to see for me (and not for my oldest two kids) were, in order:

Guns N' Roses
The Tragically Hip
Lowest of the Low
Public Enemy

In other words, music I loved as a teenager.

June 1, 2017 @ 8:42 AM

mrmojorisinca

best venu in Toronto (in terms of atmosphere)
been to dozen of shows there..some of the best...Pearl Jam with FIre works at the end
Ben Harper in a down pour or rain (best show ever), Soundgarden (RIP CC) , STP, RHCP, Moby, yeah all music I listen to as a kid..KORITFW

June 1, 2017 @ 8:54 AM

@mrmojorisinca

I was at that Pearl Jam show... 2003, right?

I was also at that RHCP show with STP opening. Well, I think Fishbone opened, then STP and then RHCP. Great night...

I've also seen The Tragically Hip on Canada Day, The Watchmen, Kid Rock, Def Leppard, Heart...

Great venue, but especially if you're on the lawns under the stars.... even when it storms.

June 1, 2017 @ 9:04 AM

j

@Rob J - that is such an interesting tidbit - crazy that only one song is accredited to them all (in that one incarnation haha)

@mrmojorisinca - lol I am not an old radio head.

I do have tickets for New Kids with Paula Abdul and someone else for this month.

Super tempted to ramp up my month before vacation with John Legend and Hall and Oates !

June 1, 2017 @ 9:09 AM

Javed Jafri

My daughter is almost 21 now and she goes to concerts including rap regularly. In fact the last one she went to was near Detroit this past weekend and it featured a rapper that had the name "Thug" in his title. My daughter told me that as they did not mention his name to the border guards who asked "who are you going to see" they elected to say the name of the opening act, fearing a delay by saying "Thug"

She is too old to want Dad to accompany her but I did go with her to a special show featuring Demi Lavato and the Jonas Bros ( maybe around 2007 ?) at Downsview. I think it was sponsored by the Family Channel and was some sort of secret that we got passes to. I know we had to go to a parking lot off site first and from there we got onto a bus to the stadium. They served a meal first in a big tent and then off to the concert and we both enjoyed it, my daughter more so of course. I think they may have been filming the concert for the Camp Rock sequel.

June 1, 2017 @ 9:10 AM

mrmojorisinca

I honestly don't think I've seen a bad show there.
The Black keys were Awesome!! (they might be the newest act I've seen, or Kings of Leon)
I
@To - don't recall the year..but 2003 sounds about right

Ben Harper - had 18,000 (or what ever the capacity is there) in awe that night!

I wasn't at the Def Leppard show..but they were the first live act I ever saw..then U2 Zoo tv tour :)

Anyone going to u2 in June?

@j I don't recall calling you an old radio head.

June 1, 2017 @ 9:39 AM

Anonymous

@mrmojorisinca - oh my bad you're right - the comment wasn't for me haha i am not an old radio guy - being that i am womannnnn. U2 should be fun!

June 2, 2017 @ 9:21 AM

I correspond with someone on Twitter regularly, and I always thought I was chatting with a dude. All I had was a name and I thought it was a guy's name.

The other day I learned it was a woman! I find it interesting when you assume a gender of a regular commenter or Tweeter and you're wrong.

June 2, 2017 @ 9:23 AM

Me

Green Day opening for Blink 182 in about 2001/2002.

Best show ever at the Amp.

June 2, 2017 @ 11:30 PM