Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 231: Elvis

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 231In this 231st episode, Mike catches up with Elvis. This episode is exactly 1:28:37.

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Elvis and me

Become a Patron

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

LIz

LOVED it! Elvis is great - I always make a point of listening when he's on.

And, yes! S-Town is incredible. That was a binge listen for me. Exceptionally well done. Brian Reed is brilliant.

Smitherman would be a great guest, Mike. Re-consider your no-politician policy!

April 14, 2017 @ 4:01 PM

Urooj Islam

The greatest person to ever come out of the Dirty 'Shwa.

April 14, 2017 @ 5:20 PM

Rob J

He bailed and it's a rerun, right?

April 14, 2017 @ 5:47 PM

@Rob J

I found a lookalike.

April 14, 2017 @ 7:56 PM

Rob J

How he laughs will be the giveaway (though I trust the guy from India's opinion on that!)

April 14, 2017 @ 8:54 PM

markosaar

That's not a lookalike. This gentlemen clearly owns a razor!

April 14, 2017 @ 11:14 PM

elvis

Thanks everyone. It was fun. I hope you enjoy the episode.

April 15, 2017 @ 9:36 AM

Rob J

As a former Protestant emerging from the shackles of 24-7 religion, I appreciated your and E's frank discussion of the absurdities of Good Friday-Easter. As you said, the fact that extremely intelligent people wholeheartedly believe such obvious hokum is maddening.

Further, the merging of evangelical fundamentalism with conservative politics since the Reagan era is damaging for human rights, among other hindrances. Many Christians I know firmly believe that the 2 most important issues for them are gay marriage and abortion despite Jesus saying nothing about either one, NOT caring for the poor and vulnerable, not to mention the obvious damage to the planet due to climate change...but then again, if Jesus is returning in a few years anyways, fuck the environment.

That 81% of evangelicals voted for DT, KNOWING his horrific character and decidedly non-biblical beliefs and actions was the last straw.

Enjoy the Leaf win.

April 16, 2017 @ 12:50 AM

Irvine

Elvis, as much as I liked the "beard homeless guy" look you look much better. And healthier. Good for you on the weight loss too. Congrats.

Mike: New shirt? *LOL*.

April 16, 2017 @ 11:48 AM

elvis

Thanks Irvine. It's always a battle with my meds but the doctor has figured out the latest issue.

April 16, 2017 @ 3:50 PM

Not a new shirt... It's the second of the two I Bike T.O. shirts I bought awhile back. Here I am wearing the same shirt last summer.

April 16, 2017 @ 4:19 PM

Daniel

God I hate bicyclists in Toronto...

April 17, 2017 @ 8:22 AM

@Daniel

All of them?

April 17, 2017 @ 9:00 AM

Daniel

No, I actually don't hate any of them.

I just get so frustrated sitting on Adelaide trying to get home at any time of day, and there's traffic everywhere and I stare at the bike lane, which 95% of the time is empty. I remember that it used to be a car lane, and I just get more frustrated. Same thing when I lived on Lower Simcoe. I just stare at the empty bike lanes and back into my lane full of cars and I shake my head

Your t-shirt just reminded me of it

April 17, 2017 @ 11:30 AM

Rob J

@Daniel

Quick reminder: you're not *in* traffic: you *are* traffic.

April 17, 2017 @ 12:27 PM

@Daniel

Get in that bike lane! But on a bike... :)

I just made a delivery to Ryerson University on my bike and it was so damn slick... waterfront trail to Yonge and then north to Gerrard.

April 17, 2017 @ 1:39 PM

Daniel

@ROBJ

I would *be* less traffic if they stopped taking car lanes and turning them into bike lanes for 18 people to use per hour, then touting how great of a job they did, taking surface space in a city that is short of it and having it be vacant 98% of the time

@Toronto Mike. Can't do it. Live too far from work, work does not have a shower and I sweat alot. and you can't bike in the winter or the rain. so there's no point.

April 17, 2017 @ 2:02 PM

Peter

This episode was the real "real talk" - great stuff. If this Elvis clown is complaining about making the trip from Oshawa to hang with you and talk shop, I'd gladly make the trip from Hamilton and take his place

April 17, 2017 @ 3:23 PM

Rob J

@Daniel

If you biked, you'd get there more quickly, you wouldn't have to shake your head, and there'd *be* less traffic! Win-win-win, baby.

Or you could continue your current habit, resent it, and complain on a message board.

Despite what The Sun and Jerry Agar say, it's not a 'war on the car', rather a 'war between cars'. Adding more lanes does not reduce congestion (because even more people would drive), though offering more bike lanes and instituting tolls would. It's Psychology 101.

Happy commuting!

April 17, 2017 @ 4:31 PM

chris

Dartman has become a legend overnite as he's been given ticks from the Leafs for games at ACC.
IF & mean IF Leafs keep winning he will become the next Kate Smith from the 70's in Philly.
If they show his face on jumbotron the place will be ecstatic.
Go Leafs Go

April 17, 2017 @ 6:54 PM

chris

Sorry should have posted in comments Leafs Deserve This.

April 17, 2017 @ 8:05 PM

Rob J

Shhhhhhh! No one tell TSN and SN that other teams have fans, too.

April 17, 2017 @ 8:29 PM

@Rob J

C'mon man, there's lots of TSN and SN chatter about the other Canadian teams in the playoffs. Seriously!

The only one on either network who seems to legit favour the Leafs is Don Cherry who wears his heart on his sleeve.

April 17, 2017 @ 8:52 PM

Rob J

When a Flames' fan is given national exposure and the Leafs are on SN while another Cdn team is featured on CBC, I'll concede!

(The Stars were eliminated from the playoffs in mid-November, so I don't have a 'dog in the hunt' on the ice. My observations are strictly about the coverage)

April 17, 2017 @ 9:08 PM

Al The Royal Pain

Great episode! Nice to hear from Elvis. I second Mike's recommendation of the Kevin Frankish interview. He was surprisingly candid.

April 18, 2017 @ 9:36 AM

Beatts

Listened on the way to work this morning. Always enjoy Elvis.

I'm tolerating Mike also.

April 18, 2017 @ 10:09 AM

Jody Thornton

Question Mike: Was your cardioligist Dr Lebowski at Sunny brook? He performed my angiogram in October 2015. Just curious.

April 25, 2017 @ 12:55 PM

Jody Thornton

A couple things about the Christian Easter Story. Keep in mind that while I was raised Catholic, I no longer practice Christianity, nor do I believe in a personified God.

However, the New Testament claims that Jesus rose from the dead on the third day (not in three days). As for him dying at 3pm, it was said that Jesus died just after the sixth hour. Apparently he was presented to Pilate in the early morning hours and condemned mid morning. You could estimate that was 9am. And apparently (since Jesus was heavily beaten beforehand) it took six hours for Jesus to die from crucifixion.

Now, I do believe there was a Jesus of history. There's too much that lines up. In the early AD decades, Christianity as a way of thinking was rising in Judea at around a time that would have been just after Jesus' death. Plus there was the discovery of Pontius Pilate coins in the late 80s that would date to the first century. Pontius Pilate was the Roman procurator that authorized Jesus' execution.

Also some of the medical stuff lines up surrounding the crucifixion. Apparently when the soldier wanted to ensure that Jesus was dead, he lanced his heart. Out came a mixture of blood and water, which would be consistent with a heart rupture. Experts are believing Jesus would have died from a combination of asphyxiation and a heart rupture. The beating he received would have caused such a rapid loss of blood that his body would go into hypovolemic shock. So there seems to be credible medical evidence of Jesus' execution.

But Christians and I would differ VERY MUCH so on what happens on the third day.

April 25, 2017 @ 1:13 PM

Jody Thornton

Oh and another "Jesus" song: What about Morrissey's "I've Forgiven Jesus"

April 25, 2017 @ 1:14 PM

@Jody

I can't remember! Isn't that awful... I know it's in a file with my doc, though. :)

It wasn't Lebowski, I don't think.

April 25, 2017 @ 2:30 PM

Rob J

What that the time you were told "it's skeletal" leading to the classic TM phrase, "It's skeletal, man"?

April 25, 2017 @ 6:24 PM

@Rob J

That's the guy....

I had heart pain, biked to the hospital to ensure I wasn't having a heart attack, learned it wasn't a heart attack, told my GP during a physical, was sent to do tests that came back "inconclusive", did a stress test, met with a cardiologist who reviewed everything and told me "it's skeletal, man".

April 25, 2017 @ 6:31 PM