Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 226: Faizal Khamisa

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 226In this 226th episode, Mike chats with Sportsnet's Faizal Khamisa about his battle with cancer, being Muslim, and his career in sports media. This episode is exactly 1:07:07.

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Faizal Khamisa and me

Become a Patron

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

markosaar

Kept waiting for Mike to mention the Johnny B. Goode scene in Back to the Future.

March 24, 2017 @ 4:39 PM

@markosaar

I was going there, but all the wind left my sails when Faizal said he had never heard of Chuck Berry.

March 24, 2017 @ 4:42 PM

Smartest Person Here

You're the ultimate T Shirt hipster Mike. Same 4 shirts in rotation for the "podcast picture".

March 24, 2017 @ 5:00 PM

That shirt is a gift from Pete Fowler. He's sent me two. They promote his excellent radio show.

And I'm pretty sure I have more than 4 tee shirts. I have lots of tee shirts.

March 24, 2017 @ 5:03 PM

Smartest Person Here

225: Yield sign shirt
224: No picture with 12:36 (he's notoriously camera shy)
223: Yield sign shirt
222: Hoodie
221. I Bike TO
220: Blue shirt
219: Lost Indie City
218: Can't tell
217: I Bike TO
216: Blue Shirt
215: Hoodies GLB
214: Hoodie GLB
213 Hoodie GLB

March 24, 2017 @ 5:16 PM

Jim Van Horne

Faizal doesn't know who Chuck Berry is? He's officially dead to me.

March 24, 2017 @ 5:40 PM

Rob J

I've not seen his work but am looking forward to hearing this episode.

March 24, 2017 @ 5:57 PM

Beatts

How? How? How????????? Do you not know who Chuck Berry is?

Fred "rerun" Berry ok.... but Chuck?

Not on my watch.

Ps. Lmao at SPH's shirt recon data. :) He brings valid points. ;)

March 24, 2017 @ 6:42 PM

Smartest Person Here

He's a young guy, why expect him to know who Chuck Berry is. I suspect there are a whole bunch of 65 year olds who don't have any idea who Chuck D is.

March 24, 2017 @ 7:06 PM

@Beatts

You're welcome to come by and count my tee shirts. There are at least 15 of them, maybe 20.

March 24, 2017 @ 7:21 PM

andrew

After the 1st time Faizal didn't know who Chuck Berry was, you should have not commented about he not knowing Chuck again.
If me I would have left the podcast asking if you knew who sang Walk Away Renee?

March 24, 2017 @ 9:46 PM

Anonymous

No idea what andrew's smoking. Good episode, Faizal sounds like a good kid. And who gives a fuck which tee shirt a podcast host wears?

March 24, 2017 @ 10:34 PM

Tshirt guy

Now I'm going to have to send you the CDN Flag TLIC tee to mix it up. Thanks Mike!!!

March 25, 2017 @ 7:42 AM

Beatts

@TorontoMike, as long as they are not in your basement. I am very tall with an overly large head.

March 25, 2017 @ 8:45 AM

Beatts

@Anonymous, I won't speak for anyone else but the Tshirt discussion is pure non-malicious ball busting banter...

I would tease Mike regardless of what he wears and would expect it back

March 25, 2017 @ 8:49 AM

Smartest Person Here

@TorontoMike

What size T shirt do you take? I advocate increase your T shirt options for Open Mike photos. We're here for you.

March 25, 2017 @ 1:12 PM

I wear a medium. I never turn down a free tee, either.

Great Lakes Beer has given me a tee, The Lost Indie City has given me a couple... my wife has bought me a retro CBC one (b/c I love that old logo) and a Joey Bats bat flip one (because I love that moment)... I've bought a few funny hockey ones (WWWD, Hackey Night, Optimus Reim) because I dig those... recently picked up a Jaws shirt because of Gord and a couple of BikeTo ones (because I love biking TO)... but my favourite is the Pearl Jam one because that '98 show in Barrie might be my all time favourite and it's the oldest shirt I still wear.

March 25, 2017 @ 1:18 PM

Andy in Minnesota

@SPH

I'm 28 and discovered Chuck Berry very much the same way Mike did: Complilation CDs. The only way young people might hear Chuck's stuff organically today is in Calgary, Johnny Gaudreau's goal song is "Johnny B. Goode".

March 25, 2017 @ 6:03 PM

@Andy in Minnesota

Or via Back to the Future, an 80s film that's been viewed by pretty much every 28 year old in the country.

March 25, 2017 @ 6:30 PM

Smartest Person Here

For nearly the past 2 years I've lived in a town which is almost fully comprised of people in their 20s Millennials). During that time I also became a landlord and occasionally DJ'd at a local club. Here's what I saw

- "old" music in terms of classic rock, etc has almost zero meaning. They might know it and respect it, but that's it.

- There is no such thing as FM radio. The only FM radio I witnessed people listen to was Triple J in Australia (which got me listening to it). It's good. The rest? Doesn't even register. What does register is Spotify, Youtube and Apple's Beats 1.

- I'm a guy who knows music. I listen to all things Jazz through to new pop music and spend almost all day streaming music (and sometimes talk). When I was on the radio I made an effort to introduce the world to new music. I'd tell people about a band and I'd get this look like "who is that". Now? The 20 somethings knows the band.

Today, 3 guys were watching Youtube on my TV and playing "punk rock". Their version of Punk Rock = Sum 41. They asked me if I liked Punk and I said yeah, maybe Minor Threat or Jello Biafra. They knew it but said "you're so old skool bro". I've no doubt most of them feel the same way about Chuck Berry. As a side note, cleaning my house listening to modern "punk rock" was like being raped by a gorilla. Without lube.

Old people like to imagine young people have the same musical tastes as they do. And they like to imagine they're "cool" and "in" with youth. It's their way of imaging they're still relevant. I'm here to tell you that you are wrong (generally). 18 months of living with 20 somethings, drinking with them, snowboarding with them gave me some interesting insight into that age group. I know one thing. In life they'll do just fine in the future. We don't give them enough credit.

March 25, 2017 @ 9:22 PM

Rob J

TM,

A hearty congrats on the new sponsorship! Although, if the TM universe is populated by those who can afford to buy property in "the 6", I am most certainly an outlier.

March 27, 2017 @ 3:39 PM

@Rob J

As I will suggest on tomorrow's episode, those who actually do own property in the 6ix should sell now and move to Moncton!

March 27, 2017 @ 3:46 PM

Rob j

Who's the guest?

March 27, 2017 @ 3:54 PM

@Rob J

Bob McKenzie from TSN.

March 27, 2017 @ 3:56 PM

Rob J

Haha, the guy hockey fans LOVE! (when he's reporting positive news-rumours about their team)

March 27, 2017 @ 3:58 PM

Al The Royal Pain

Great episode Mike. I've heard Faizal talk about his cancer and the Quebec shootings on Tim & Sid. He's got more substance than most his age in that business and it probably comes from all that he's already been through at such a young age.

I'll forgive his unwillingness to take a side on the lack of ethnicity on TV & radio...and I don't believe for a second that he doesn't have an opinion...he just doesn't want to lose his job.

I'll also forgive his lack of knowledge of Chuck Berry, but I don't get how he doesn't know ZZTop considering "Sharp Dressed Man" is one of T&S's go-to sound clips.

March 28, 2017 @ 9:48 AM

Gary M

Smartest Person nailed it. One look at the Billboard top 40 makes it clear: the genre of music that Chuck Berry helped found has died. The wailing guitar hero is not a thing anymore.

When Bowie and Prince died, a lot of kids knew who they were. That will not be true for Bob Seger, John Mellencamp, Huey Lewis and even to some extent The Boss.

March 28, 2017 @ 1:55 PM

Al The Royal Pain

@Gary M

Don't trust the charts. They don't really reflect what kids are listening to, because they can't measure the way kids listen. Believe me, when I play in Barrie, there are a ton of college kids that come to our shows and their requests range from classic to modern rock to rap to pop. The way kids consume music makes it nearly impossible to define trends.

March 29, 2017 @ 9:20 AM