Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 225: Carly Agro

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 225In this 225th episode, Mike chats with Sportsnet's Carly Agro about her career in sports media, having a twin at CBC and who she sees as the rising stars at Sportsnet. This episode is exactly 1:21:31.

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Carly Agro and me

Become a Patron

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

stephen

Hate to say this about a soccer player, but.....
Pass.
Another Rogers "gender equity" hire; a talking head who worships the teleprompter gods.
For me, she's a channel changer.

March 17, 2017 @ 6:09 PM

@stephen

But how do you know she has nothing to say if you didn't listen?

March 17, 2017 @ 6:14 PM

stephen

Fair & valid question, Mike.
I found her coverage of the Sochi Olympics to be cringe-worthy, unwatchable.
Feel the same way about her Sportsnet contribution - not Ken Reid cringe-worthy, but similar.
So no interest.

March 17, 2017 @ 7:30 PM

Allyson

She's smart! And well spoken!

Thank you for adding a personality to a face.

March 17, 2017 @ 8:34 PM

Leo

@Allyson

But she never heard of the Pogues. :(

Good ep, though.

March 17, 2017 @ 8:39 PM

The Voice of Reason

@Mike

Good podcast, you are maturing as an interview, but did you have to wear the same shirt that you wore to interview Barry Davis?

March 18, 2017 @ 12:14 PM

Beatts

@TVOR just be happy he doesn't appear to have those sweatpants on again !

March 18, 2017 @ 2:12 PM

I wear what I wanna!

March 18, 2017 @ 2:13 PM

Beatts

And get your haircut you hippie!

Looking all roughshod and shaggy.

March 18, 2017 @ 2:14 PM

@

You got me there. I need a haircut.

March 18, 2017 @ 2:17 PM

Beatts

You look like Ted Kaczynski if he let himself go.

March 18, 2017 @ 2:20 PM

Beatts

To do List for Saturday March 18:

1, Roast complete strangers on the intrawebs. Check.

March 18, 2017 @ 2:22 PM

@Beatts

No, that's this guy.

March 18, 2017 @ 2:42 PM

Beatts

Poor Elvis.

Caught in our viscous shrapnel.

March 18, 2017 @ 3:12 PM

Rob J

Time for E to appear on TM again...if only for a more recent picture.

March 18, 2017 @ 5:00 PM

Urooj Islam

I agree, it is Elvis time.

I love how he shits on and dismisses past guests to the point of making Mike extremely uncomfortable.

March 18, 2017 @ 8:31 PM

Smartest Person Here

@VoR

Mike chooses the best hipster "make an impact" shirts for his pictures. He should get one fitted for 12:36.

March 19, 2017 @ 2:20 AM

Hey!

I bought this shirt at the concert!

That's no hipster shirt...

March 19, 2017 @ 7:53 AM

Jimmy

Very good podcast. Carly is a classy and smart girl

I did find it adorable when she talked about the sportsnet highlight people's sports strengths like their some kind of experts.

She's one of the best all around broadcasters

March 19, 2017 @ 7:56 AM

Jimmy

they're**

Also, found that march madness tidbit interesting as well. Appreciated her honesty within her limitations, not everyone can be Mike Richards.

March 19, 2017 @ 7:58 AM

Nebojša

There's an entire category of guests who approach appearing on this podcast like a visit to the dentist, grinning and bearing it through just to get it over with.

Most of the young ladies of Canadian sports television on TorontoMike'd, including now Carly Agro, unfortunately fit the above description. The only refreshing exception was Sophia Jurksztovich who, I thought, managed to relax and actually somewhat engaged. (Btw, you need to have her back on, Mike, she seems good in this format.)

As for Carly, and Jackie Redmond and Caroline Cameron before her, a lot of what they said sounds generic and rehearsed. As soon as they sense the danger of a real conversation breaking out, they immediately reverted to artificially uplifting lines right out of the company's orientation brochure or its latest annual performance review questionnaire.

While these young girls are pleasant and polite, listening to them deliver eager beaver cliches for an hour to hour and a half gets a bit tedious. Whatever personality and youthful exuberance they may posses has been blocked by their corporate employer's PR department and the constant threat, real or perceived, of being laid off has stunted their natural conversational instincts.

Might want to try bringing more of the mature ladies as future guests, Mike. Right off the top of my head, I'm thinking Laura Di Battista, Teresa Roncon, Larysa Harapyn, Jana Lynne White, Erica Ehm, Ziggy Lorenc.... No guarantees each one would be interesting sight unseen, but I have a strong hunch they'd be way less guarded and a lot more open. Besides, people like Anne Mroczkowski and Avery Haines are some of the most interesting guests you've had.

March 20, 2017 @ 10:33 AM

Rob J

That SN ad featuring literally 100 percent white males as FAN 590 hosts is beyond satire.

March 20, 2017 @ 11:37 AM

Daniel

2:37 into the podcast... This is awkward Mike...

March 20, 2017 @ 2:38 PM

chuck99

I agree with some of the previous comments. When you delved into current issues involving Sportsnet, Carly definitely sounded guarded and rehearsed. However, there were still several good segments. Her advice to young people attempting to start a career in broadcasting was very sound and the portion of the program where she discussed the early part of her career was very interesting. I also enjoyed your comments on the future of this generation of sports anchors and whether they will be treated as poorly as some of the female new anchors as they get older. The jury is still out on that issue. I guess we will just have to wait until the likes of Hazel Mae, Jennifer Hedger and Martine Gaillard reach their 50s to find out, although I fear they will meet the same fate as many of their news colleagues.

March 20, 2017 @ 3:17 PM

@Daniel

I thought you were referring to when she didn't know of The Pogues.

March 20, 2017 @ 3:28 PM

Irvine

@Nebojša

Careful, don't speak your mind too loud or you might end up on the wrong song of some cyber bullying.

But you are correct and I admire you for speaking your mind. The whole sports ecosystem is far too often the realm of a bunch of simple minded fucking idiots. These "sports networks" hire these women solely for the "jack off" factor. A big factor has to do with their "hotness". Isn't it funny how the sports ecosystem is full of old fat men as talking heads ,but all the women are young and nubile? There are no 50 year old fat women talking sports. Do you think that's an accident?

Those women can't be faulted. They're protecting their jobs. They need a job to pay their bills and feed themselves and their families.

March 20, 2017 @ 11:29 PM

Irvine

BTW Elvis, you look like Jesus. I suggest you give thought to ever crossing the border unless you want US Customs to anally prob you.

March 20, 2017 @ 11:30 PM

Daniel

@TorontoMike

Haha no the part about the advanced scouting report on your comedy and birthdays that are close together. But in a podcast world full of people pretending to be perfect some genuine imperfection is welcome

I do agree with some of the other voices, when the guest doesn't want to say how they truly feel because they've been trained not to rock the boat, it just takes away so much from the podcast. It makes you feel as if you're being talked down to with platitudes.

March 21, 2017 @ 8:45 AM

@Daniel

Proof I (almost) never edit a word!

The next two guests are respected industry veterans, so we'll see how that goes.

March 21, 2017 @ 8:46 AM

@Rob J

I found the ad you're referring to.

I have been talking about this. I spoke to Greg Brady about it and I spoke to Bubba O'Neil about it. I'm surprised it's taken this long for anyone to notice.

March 21, 2017 @ 9:17 AM

Just catching up now because life has been hectic since my wife's appendix ruptured on Sunday....

@Nebojša

I'm with you re: Sophia. I've even spoken to her about coming on regularly.

I've already spoken with Ziggy who is coming on. I've tried to reach Eric Ehm, but no luck yet. And I will reach out to the others... I just want an interesting conversation, regardless of age. Although Carly was safe (and who can blame her), I thought she was smart and interesting. I had fun!

Re: Elvis's beard, he's shaved it off since that pic. It's gone. And he knows he can come over for an episode when his schedule permits. He's the bottleneck there.

March 21, 2017 @ 9:41 AM

Pete

Good interview. I like Carly. She's pretty unassuming and doesn't use her looks to think she's some hot shit like some others.

Liked her Ennis and Thomas responses to the rising stars at Sportsnet; I thought she was going to go in a different direction on that. Nice that she was candid about the TV rights battles and how it affects her when it comes to her love for soccer and the CFL. What I did not quite understand was her stance on the change is good and the age (50 years old) points; I found it jumbled and contradictory.

March 21, 2017 @ 11:51 AM

Rob J

TM

It's a worthy topic for discussion. I commented under your most recent post. 'Countless opinions' indeed.

March 21, 2017 @ 7:15 PM

Sid_V

I really enjoyed this podcast. It drove home the point that there are a lot of eminently qualified young broadcasters ( male and female) who got their gigs through passion, hard work, and paying their dues, just as the old timers did. Carly came across as intelligent and driven, and genuine. It is too easy to dismiss the new personalities if you don't consider their eork ethic and solid background ( Div 1 sports, triple major, a decade of slogging at various assignments across the country).

I am much more impressed by these new broadcasters (Tessa B., Andy P., Carly, etc) than the old gang in the Sportsnet photo. With the possible exception of Brunt, probably Canada's premier sports journalist today when he isn't shilling for Rogers.

That Ticats internship has launched quite a number of careers - Kate McKenna andMoa Gordon (voice of NLL) come to mind.

On a technical note, I thought the audio was very good - Carly sounded better than she does even on tv. Same was for Kevin Frankish a few days ago.

March 21, 2017 @ 10:23 PM

Sid_V

* Mia Gordon

March 21, 2017 @ 10:36 PM

Patrick

Did anyone else catch Carly on Prime Time Sports last night? I thought she did a good job even with Ken Reid "hosting". I'd really like to see her get an extended run with Bob as I could see them having some excellent about the CFL and football in general.

Might "re-engage" Bob if he's as bored as the articles say he is and give Carly a bigger platform to maybe do more at Sportsnet other than highlights.

March 23, 2017 @ 1:46 PM