Chuck Berry, Dead at 90

Chuck BerryChuck Berry was 90. He was the the singer, songwriter and guitar great who practically defined rock music with his impeccably twangy hits “Maybellene,” “Roll Over Beethoven,” “Memphis,” “My Ding-a-Ling” and “Sweet Little Sixteen.”

Javed Jafri

John Lennon said "if you had to come up with another name for Rock n Roll, it would be Chuck Berry"

He influenced so many. Without him rock and roll may not have existed in the form that we know it. Lived a long life but sad to see the father of rock and roll no longer with us. Apparently he was getting ready to release a new album.

March 18, 2017 @ 10:05 PM

dale

Rock & Roll Heaven has a new member, the Father of Rock & Roll. Let the band play, singers singers sing & writers write. 1 hell of a sound in heaven.
RIP Chuck

March 18, 2017 @ 10:49 PM

Cheryl

I remember that song My Ding-A-Ling. I hated that song. It got played a lot in boarding school. I remember I won that record as a prize for Halloween. This was my last year I went trick-or-treating. We all went out and got our candy. Then we had to go in a circle and judge our costumes. I dressed up as a blender. I won that stupid record. I don't know where it is now. I probably gave it away, but who cares.

March 19, 2017 @ 8:04 AM

Javed Jafri

My Ding-A-Ling was not a great example of Chuck Berry's music - was more or less a novelty throw away and unfortunate that it became his biggest hit. One early memory I have of hearing Berry's music is from maybe 1967 and I was in the car with my father and I heard the Beatles version of Roll Over Beethoven for the first time. I could tell it was an earlier song by them and kept thinking they are saying roll over Beatles. The man certainly penned some great songs that were covered far and wide.

March 19, 2017 @ 10:29 AM

Rick C in Oakville

I first heard Chuck Berry when the movie American Grafitti came out when I was a teen. Didn't realise he was as old as he was (90).

March 19, 2017 @ 1:10 PM

As a kid, I used to love "golden oldies" 50s music. Chuck Berry was a staple.

Then, Back to the Future came out. Great Chuck Berry reference there.

March 19, 2017 @ 1:25 PM

Rob J

His name was also the answer to a classic Karl Pilkington 'Rockbusters' clue: "Stop throwing that fruit about"

March 19, 2017 @ 3:58 PM

Cheryl

I wonder why My Ding-A-Ling was his biggest hit then. The long version was even worse. Someone brought the long version into class one day and played it. It would have been better if that prize was some cash or something instead of that stupid record.

March 20, 2017 @ 7:18 AM

James Edgar

The first Guitar Hero. His songs have been covered by everyone at some point . massive influence on both the Beatles and Stones. Roll over Beethoven was one of the 45's i inherited from my sisters as a 5 year old. Of course I was unaware it was a cover at that time I just thought it was the Beatles best song LOL.
@Cheryl I'm not a fan of my My Ding-A-Ling either. My friends dad bought it for him and while it was a funny a time or two it go really old really fast.

I was hearing that he was working on an album , disappointing that he gone before we could hear it.

I missed that original Sweet Little Sixteen vs. Surfin' USA post . Wow that's crazy.I had Surfin' USA in my sisters 45 collection and thought that was about the Beach boys best song. No wonder.

I'm going to have to go and look at the Chuck Berry discography to see what i missed and remind myself of all the great songs.

March 20, 2017 @ 8:17 AM

Douglas

Thanks to my parents, more so my mother, playing music from when I was a little boy, I have had an appreciation for Chuck Berry for decades. I never did like "My Ding-A-Ling", though. As a result of the news and hearing various tracks over the weekend, this morning's earworm was "Johnny B. Goode". That's okay. To show other forms of influence, though, the "image" in my head was not of Chuck Berry playing the song. No. It was Michael J. Fox in "Back to the Future".

March 20, 2017 @ 4:20 PM