Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 215: Bob Callahan

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 215In this 215th episode, Mike chats with Jradio deejay Bob Callahan about his years on 680 CFTR and Mix 99.9 and.... well... every Toronto station you can name and why he left it all to become a detective with the Toronto Police Service. This episode is exactly 1:05:12.

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Bob Callahan and me

Become a Patron

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

Jody Thornton

This should be a good listen. Would love to hear something more about the behind the scenes CFTR stuff. He was at Energy 108 too for a short bit wasn't he?

February 2, 2017 @ 3:26 PM

@Jody Thornton

He was!

Of course, as he tells me, he was everywhere.

1982 1230/CJLB (Thunder Bay) Evening Announcer
1985 93.1 FM CFNO (Marathon)
1985 680/CFTR (Toronto) On Air Producer
1986 99.9 FM CJFI (Sarnia) Mid-Day Announcer
1110/CKJD (Sarnia) Afternoon Drive Announcer

1986-1987 1290/CJBK (London) Evening Announcer

1987-
980/CKGM (Montreal) Swing Announcer
97.7 FM/CHOM (Montreal) Image/Promotional Voice

1988-1993 680/CFTR (Toronto) Evening Announcer

Z97.3/CJEZ (Toronto)
97.7 Htz-FM/CHTZ (St. Catharines)
Energy 108/CING (Toronto)
KISS 98.5/ WKSE FM (Buffalo New York)
AM 640/CHOG “The Hog” (Toronto)
MIX 99.9/CKFM (Toronto)
Q107 (CILQ) (Toronto)
CISS FM 92.5 (Toronto)

Full-Time 1994-1998
MIX 99.9/CKFM (Toronto) Evenings, Mid-Day Announcer, Assistant Program Director

1998-1999
Energy Radio (Toronto/Kitchener/London) CING 107.9FM. Syndicated Afternoon Drive Announcer - Kitchener/Waterloo, London, Toronto, Ottawa

1999-2002
CHUM-FM 104.5 (Toronto) Freelance Announcer

February 2, 2017 @ 3:35 PM

Jason from Sudbury

I remember Bob as Tank Sherman on Q. Always got a kick out of that name.

February 2, 2017 @ 4:19 PM

andrew

Bob has a great set of pipes, What a voice much like Andy Frost.
Sure as Hell would not want to be stopped by him know as a cop, I would $h!t my pants with that voice.

February 2, 2017 @ 9:06 PM

markosaar

Hah loved the early Kon Kan - I Beg Your Pardon clip.

Fascinating listen ... his voice was so familiar, but I'd only have heard him when I was very young, and before I had station loyalty to 102.1.

February 2, 2017 @ 10:41 PM

the brother

The year was 199---something and I swear driving home late one night from work I heard Bob Callahan playing country on CISS 92-5 and Tank Sherman on Toronto's Best rock Q107 AT THE SAME TIME lol...the man was the master of voice tracking back in the day. I kinda always remember him as the 'swing shift guy' can't recall him owning a show (maybe on Mix 99.9)? Aww the days of the Callahan Man, the Punchman and the Woodman....fun times in 90s radio in Toronto!

February 2, 2017 @ 11:31 PM

Javed Jafri

Bob Mentioned Glenn Walters as a mentor in Thunder Bay. Better known in this area as Big G Walters. One of the early jocks at CKFH when they switched to a rock format in 1967. He had one of the first progressive shows in Canada on CKFH with "The Whole Bag"

February 3, 2017 @ 12:20 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Funny how your memory comes back once you hear the name and voice. Boy did he ever pay his dues looking at his resume, but a better move getting on the Police force.

February 4, 2017 @ 6:00 PM

Sam in Pickering

Loved this episode! Keep 'em coming!

February 4, 2017 @ 7:15 PM

Jody Thornton

So wait! If he's now Detective Callaghan, will he play Clint Eastwood in a future bio pic? :p

February 4, 2017 @ 7:23 PM

@Jody Thornton

Not his real name, though. :)

February 4, 2017 @ 7:35 PM

Jody Thornton

I'm listening to Josh Holliday first, then Bob Callaghan next (maybe in an hour or so)

February 4, 2017 @ 7:45 PM

chris

Go A Head MAKE MY DAY

February 4, 2017 @ 7:53 PM

Jody Thornton

I wish I could've been on CFTR (just for an hour even), but I would've wanted to operate the board, or do production there even more. From what I've heard, they pretty much carted up everything, even into the era of CD promo singles, just so that everything was timed out perfectly. Must've have been fast-paced.

I'm sure both CHUM and CFTR had awesome music libraries. Does anyone know what models of board consoles those stations had in the 80s?

February 4, 2017 @ 10:36 PM

Jody Thornton

Funny that Mitch Craig was used for imaging at both Kiss and CFTR, and Bob was also on both stations. There's another station (being Kiss 98.5) I'd love to hear more about behind the scenes,

February 4, 2017 @ 10:49 PM

chuck99

He certainly had an interesting, but challenging career in radio. I was glad to hear for the sake of his family that he is now in law enforcement.
The station in Marathon is still on the air with repeater transmitters in other neighboring communities. I can't imagine that they're still broadcasting from that trailer!!

February 7, 2017 @ 1:32 AM

Beatts

Just finished this episode. Stellar work TM.

The name didn't ring a bell but soon as I heard Bob Speak I recognized him. Great conversation

May 3, 2017 @ 3:20 PM