Stuart McLean, Dead at 68

Stuart McLeanStuart McLean was 68. He was the host of CBC Radio's The Vinyl Café and an award-winning humorist. How many times did I stumble upon one of Stuart's Dave and Morley stories? Often enough to develop a pretty good Stuart McLean impression, a cadence I'd often mimic when sharing my own stories.

stuart

markosaar

Oh that's just wretched. Fond memories listening to him with dad.

February 15, 2017 @ 8:06 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Like yourself Mike, I occasionally stumbled upon the Vinyl Cafe in my travels, and gained a great appreciation for his story telling. It was a one of a kind radio program, that I don't think can be repeated.
Kudos to the CBC for giving Stuart McLean the platform to have presented his stories, and characters.

February 15, 2017 @ 9:22 PM

LIz

Terrible. Cancer is wretched.

A gifted storyteller, that's for sure.

February 15, 2017 @ 9:25 PM

@Rick C in Oakville

I listen to a lot of CBC Radio One so I've bumped into the Vinyl Cafe many, many times. I was always glad he was there, making many laugh and cry, but the content was never my cup of tea. I just couldn't get into it... but damn did I respect the man's story telling skills.

February 15, 2017 @ 9:26 PM

chuck99

Very sad news. Shows like Vinyl Cafe have contributed to the unique programming and popularity of CBC Radio One. He will be missed.

February 15, 2017 @ 10:10 PM

Al The Royal Pain

Sad news. We saw a live Christmas taping of Vinyl Cafe a few years back at Massey Hall. Own a bunch of Vinyl Cafe books and CDs. Owen loved listening to the stories. I heard the show was ending but i didn't know he was sick. I'm also shocked at how old he was... seemed younger.

February 16, 2017 @ 10:12 AM

James Edgar

i loved Vinyl Cafe I wish i had had time to listen more often. R.I.P. Stewart.

i always wanted to get to a live taping but like a lot of things i never made the time.

February 16, 2017 @ 10:42 AM

Derek

So many years ago, a bunch of us guys decided to take a road trip to Belleville to watch our Barrie Colts play the Bulls. We watched the game, drank a lot and generally did what wild and crazy punks are expected to do!!

A funny thing happened on the way home. We were flipping around stations and - for whatever reason - landed on CBC and The Vinyl Cafe. I knew the show but I don't think the other guys had heard of it before. It was a Christmas story where Dave and Morley had decided to make each other's presents. The story itself was funny but at the end it became quite toubhing. So imagine the 3 cool cats, who only hours before had triumphantly conquered the nightlife in Belleville - biting our lips and wiping away tears.

Curse you Stuart Mclean and your fabulous storytelling!!!

In hindsight t was a very funny moment. R.I.P. Stuart Mclean.

February 16, 2017 @ 12:01 PM