Open Mike

Welcome to this week's Open Mike. I'm Mike and I'll be your master of ceremonies for the day.

Open Mike on Toronto Mike

Cheryl

I'm first again, goody. Hockey was not good last night. My Habs lost and my Coyotes lost. Alex Galchenyuk scored. He hasn't scored in a dog's age. Anyway, I don't know why my Habs are slumping. My Coyotes lost as well. Anyway, basketball tonight. I have a Nets game and a Suns game. They both better win. Anyway, nothing more about the garbage stuff, but I'm telling you they better not make us pay. I don't know what I'll do if they make us pay. Make the idiot who is putting the wrong stuff in the green bin pay. Nothing from work yet or anything. Still waiting. A baseball announcer decided to retire, Fred Manfra from the Orioles. Looks like Jim Hunter will be doing colour for the Orioles and Joe Angel is staying though. I really liked Fred. Apparently he is 70 years old though.

February 3, 2017 @ 9:05 AM

markosaar

Holy crap it's Friday

February 3, 2017 @ 9:20 AM

Neil Clarke Warren

I won't be watching the Super Bowl on Sunday evening,I will be PVR-ing it.
There is a very strong rumor going around that there is going to be a Pop-Up retirement gathering for Ann Rohmer. You just don't want to miss a retirement as they normally only come up once and this will be the first one for her in 2017.
P.S I have my emergency Salad bowl set all wrapped as a gift.

February 3, 2017 @ 9:22 AM

Ben V

Severely disappointed in the Liberals decision to abandon election reform. They made it a massive pillar of their election and now try to say the majority of Canadians don't want it???

This is the kind of shit donald trump v.2.0 O'leary can latch on to. Poor form Trudeau, poor form

February 3, 2017 @ 9:45 AM

Ryan G

Re-watch that 80's movie The Dead Zone with Christopher Walken. It seemed far fetched at the time, but Martin Sheen's portrayal of a nutbar POTUS is alarmingly similar to what we're seeing in Trump. I find it incredibly hard to believe what this man is actually saying in public and on twitter. You know it's bad when he says alarming things so often that they don't even make the news anymore.

It's like we're in a parallel universe America not unlike something from The Purge, Escape from New York and 1984.

February 3, 2017 @ 10:12 AM

McNulty

Election Reform.

I am not unhappy with the decision. What are the better options?

Ranked balloting? I think that is far worse. I wouldn't support that at all. The system we have isn't perfect but I think it is the best option we have.

February 3, 2017 @ 12:20 PM

Anonymous

I got question that maybe someone can answer on this Super Bowl commercial / CRTC thing.

Some reports say that CTV cannot insert there commercials into the broadcast but others have it that the cable substitution rule will not apply for the Super Bowl. I would assume the latter.

February 3, 2017 @ 12:27 PM

Rob

@McNulty

I am not certain. From the very little I read about the topic all other methods would lead to continuous minority governments. For better or worse I think the party that earned the most votes from the population (no matter how slim the victory might be) should be able to implement what they campaigned on. There are times minority governments are beneficial but I think ultimately they would stagnate progression. Especially when the modern political climate has the opposition say no to any idea that isn't theirs. But again, I haven't looked to deeply in the topic so I may be incorrect in believing the potential other systems will create a continuous stream of minority victories.

February 3, 2017 @ 12:43 PM

Lyle Lanley

CTV can't sub in ads during the SuperBowl, so watch on Fox.

It's only during the game, though. I think they can do it during the pregame and postgame stuff.

February 3, 2017 @ 2:47 PM

Gord Downie last night...

February 3, 2017 @ 2:50 PM

GDB

I always thought Blue Rodeo was under appreciated. They deserve(d) a lot more credit.

February 3, 2017 @ 3:07 PM

@GDB

I'm a big fan... love Blue Rodeo.

They do these Massey Hall shows every February. Once, I took my mom: http://www.torontomike.com/2010/02/blue_rodeo_at_massey_hall.html

Unbelievably great performance!

February 3, 2017 @ 3:13 PM

GDB

@Mike

I saw them in Ottawa a few years ago. They were amazing! A few people I was next to were from the US and never heard of them and they absolutely loved them.

February 3, 2017 @ 3:31 PM

collingwood dave

Went to a wedding 20 years ago, spotted a hot looking chick that I didn't know and found out she was single. This song came on and I asked her to dance. We have been together ever since....

February 3, 2017 @ 3:50 PM

Al The Royal Pain

For at least 25 years, Lost Together has been my go-to campfire guitar song. So easy to play, and it still gets everyone singing. Love Blue Rodeo. Closest thing to country music that I listen to.

February 3, 2017 @ 4:25 PM

@Al The Royal Pain

Now that I think of it, Blue Rodeo is the most country my tastes get, too. Although I will spin the American Recordings by Johnny Cash periodically, and have a soft spot for Kenny Rogers.

February 3, 2017 @ 5:13 PM

@collingwood dave

That's a great story!

February 3, 2017 @ 5:13 PM

Blind Dave

@collingwood dave

Awesome story and congrats on your good fortune. Amazing what one simple little decision can bring to our lives.

I don't condone what Donald Trump is doing but it is not a surprise either. He is doing exactly what he said he would do and exactly what he was expected to do. The disinformation feels a bit like 1984 and I must admit that is a major concern.

I've had a headache the last two days and have had a bit of a short fuse today. Outside of a couple of hot buttons I normally don't get impatient at much. Today has been one of those days so I wonder if I am coming down with something.

It may also be the winter blahs. Bring on summer!

February 3, 2017 @ 8:45 PM

dale

Rob Stewart, may you RIP.

February 3, 2017 @ 9:19 PM

Cheryl

Well, my Nets lost last night. They made it exciting in the fourth quarter, but they still lost. My Suns did win. Devin Booker got a buzzer beater shot. Wonderful. Tonight I have hockey and basketball. Actually the Habs game is on this afternoon and Coyotes later, but I have my Cavs tonight and also Suns and hope they both win. I really don't care about the Superbowl. None of my teams are in it so who really cares. Next year my Ravens and Cardinals will be in it or Browns and Cardinals. Nothing new about work though except the guy on technical support says that the CNIB contacted him and he thought I was already working. Well, I'm not and I told him that and told the CNIB that, nobody is answering my emails. Anyway, I hope everyone is putting the right stuff in the green bins. If not, then whoever is putting in the wrong stuff should be paying. I sure don't want to pay. If the city doesn't pick it up, then who knows who will and we might have to pay thousands of bucks for it. It was a threatening message for sure and who knows when the city will stop picking up our garbage.

February 4, 2017 @ 7:31 AM

Rick C in Oakville

Email observations, as I do a lot of my planning/scheduling/quoting by email, since most people don't answer their phone or voice mail anyore.
If you go on holidays or are going to be away, you my want to set a vacation message. Over the past few months customers call or send an email, need quotations asap due to a budget deadline, go though the hoops, sometimes takes a couple of days to send it to them. Send a follow up email the next week, no response, follow up end of the week still nothing. Decide to phone directly, get their voice mail. Start to wonder whats up , call the office, and told they are on vacation for 3 weeks, and I am not the only person chasing them down. I don't like to send the annoying receipt notification with my emails, so this is off the table.
2nd observation if someone leaves, is fired or on medical leave, some corporations just leave the email unmonitored, or no auto reply. Have sent orders and quotes to sales reps I dealt with for years, they leave and everything just falls into the black hole if you are unaware.
Cheers all

February 4, 2017 @ 4:04 PM

Cheryl

Well, my Habs lost. That was no good, but they had to lose. Why are my Habs in a slump. coyotes won though so that's great. Also my Cavs won. That was closer than it should have been. Anyway, my Suns lost though. Well, Nets this afternoon hoping for a Nets win. It's about time they won. No superbowl for me because my Ravens, Cardinals or Browns aren't in it. Baseball starts pretty soon with spring training. Orioles, Diamondbacks and Indians for me.

February 5, 2017 @ 6:47 AM

chris

The Super (Stupid) Bowl is today. I don't care & would rather watch paint dry.

Go Bills Go

February 5, 2017 @ 2:20 PM

I enjoy high stakes sporting events even when I don't love the sport. I've seen one quarter of football this season (although it was the best quarter of football this season) but I'll be watching the Super Bowl. A winner-take-all single game to decide the championship? I'm in!

February 5, 2017 @ 2:50 PM

collingwood dave

@ Chris, I believe these teams are evenly matched. This game should make up for all those shitty playoff games. As a Raiders fan I don't have a horse in this race, just hoping for a good game. If you want watch paint dry, stick with soccer.......

February 5, 2017 @ 3:02 PM

chris

@collingwood dave

Soccer & golf. The paints almost dry but will have put on another coat.

February 5, 2017 @ 3:56 PM

Cheryl

Well, my Nets lost. That was a bummer. That was not good that my Nets lost. Why can't they ever win. My Habs also lost. Nobody scored any goals until the shootout and so they had to lose 1 to 0 in the shootout. Why are my Habs in a slump. Well, hopefully my Cavs and Suns win tonight. They better do that. There is going to be a storm tonight and into tomorrow so I don't know if my trainer will make it tomorrow. I'm tired of winter. Bring on some baseball. I think that the World Series will be either Orioles and Diamondbacks or Indians and Diamondbacks. Hope I hear some positive news about work today or this week, but one CNIB guy is on vacation this week so maybe not.

February 6, 2017 @ 7:29 AM

Hurrie Haaarrrd

Team Howard wins Ontario Men's curling again. Everything in the world is as it should be again.

February 6, 2017 @ 8:31 AM

Cheryl

Howard again. I'm so sick of Howard. He always wins except the year when Kean won. Now team Kean seems to have split up and my trainer isn't in it anymore. Well, how about those Cavs last night. They won, but it was a nailbiter. They had to go to overtime. Lebron James fouled out though, at the beginning of overtime, but Kyrie Irving stepped it up. My Suns lost though. Anyway, I heard nothing from my trainer so I hope he will come. Anyway, the water went off yesterday for a while. It was supposed to go off on Thursday and it did so I knew nothing about yesterday. The manager wrote a memo saying it was going off and it went off on Thursday, but apparently the city didn't show up. The idiot manager we have put a notice in the mail room and of course I can't read the notice. Anyway, I let the idiot manager we have have it. She knows I'm blind and can't read a notice in the mail room. She should have updated the email she sent about Thursday and said it's been changed. Oh well, she is an idiot and she better not make us pay for garbage as well. Anyway, hopefully the Ravens, Cardinals or Browns win the next Superbowl. Also World Series is going to be Diamondbacks and Orioles or Indians. You heard it from here.

February 7, 2017 @ 7:04 AM

Patrick

Has there been any further follow-up or news release regarding the Bell layoffs? It seem that after the initial dust up the whole chatter died out as soon as the Super Bowl was finished.

February 7, 2017 @ 1:32 PM

Anonymous

I think the CRTC is unloading their illegal recyclables at Cheryl's digs.
It is their fault,I hate them.

February 7, 2017 @ 2:48 PM

@Patrick

There's no timetable for this round of Bell Media layoffs, so it's tough to know if it's over. Most names weren't in Toronto, outside of Ingrid Schumacher.

February 7, 2017 @ 3:04 PM

Albert Reda

Mike, did you bike today?

February 7, 2017 @ 3:25 PM

@Albert Reda

This winter has been awesome for cycling, but today was a rare day I had to skip. The trail was just too icy.

I'm hoping to be back out there tomorrow, though.

February 7, 2017 @ 3:42 PM

Cheryl

Well, what a morning. My personal computer doesn't work so I'm using my work computer. I managed to link up both email accounts to it so that's good and I am still not working. Actually I did buy this computer but I mainly only use it for work. Anyway, I don't know when my other computer will be fixed. I hope before 7:00 tonight because I have a Cavs game at 7:00. Anyway, my Nets lost. That's no good, but they always lose. Why do I even bother with them. Oh well, they'll get good some time. My Habs also lost and got shut out. Anyway, so the manager apologized to me yesterday and said that the security guard found out the city didn't show up on Thursday and so the security guard put a notice up. It was not the manager, but the security guard should have phoned me. I don't know, but this is the pits. She said she also wanted to make people aware about garbage. She doesn't know how much we would have to pay or anything. Oh well, I hope I can get someone here today to help me fix my computer.

February 8, 2017 @ 8:18 AM

Cheryl

How about those Cavs. That was a great game. Everyone contributed or almost everyone anyway. They were losing at the half, but came back and won handily. They're the best. My Nets and Suns both lost though. Will the Nets ever win again. Who knows. Maybe. Anyway, my computer is fixed. I had someone in my building come over and he said I had to do a repair. He had it do a repair and it got fixed, but I don't know why that happened. Anyway, there is a Cavs game again tonight and then later on my two favourite teams play a hockey game, like a Stanley cup. Habs at my Coyotes. Who will win. I don't know, but someone will and hope it goes to overtime so the losing team gets a point. My trainer curls this weekend in Intermediate Men's regionals. Hopefully they win.

February 9, 2017 @ 7:07 AM