Toronto Morning Radio Personalities: Who is your Favourite?

I have a Skype call scheduled this afternoon with Jesse and Gene. Jesse is in Vancouver and Gene is in California, so Skype will have to do for this reunion episode of Toronto Mike'd.

Thinking of Jesse and Gene got me thinking of Toronto radio personalities over the past few decades. Jesse and Gene hosted the morning shows at Q107 (twice!), 680 CFTR and AM 640. Here are other Toronto morning radio personalities who have paid me a visit since I started podcasting 4.5 years ago. Click their names to hear their episode!

Roger Ashby
Roger's been a fixture on Toronto morning radio since the mid-80s when Roger, Rick & Marilyn formed. Roger and Marilyn are still on 104.5 CHUM-FM today.

Rick Hodge
Rick Hodge is the Rick in the aforementioned Roger, Rick & Marilyn trio. He's now on morning radio in Niagara on EZ Rock 105.7.

Erin Davis
Erin's been a fixture on Toronto morning radio, most notably at CHFI where she teamed up with Don Daynard, Mike Cooper and Darren B. Lamb. She recently retired and now calls British Columbia home.

Jay "Maddog" Michaels
Jay was a longtime morning show host in Toronto, most notably with Billie Holiday on the Maddog and Billie Show. He's now working afternoons at Newstalk 1010.

Billie Holiday
Speaking of Billie Holiday, she most recently worked mornings at Todd Shapiro's replacement on The Dean Blundell Show on 102.1. She can now be heard on 93-5 The Move.

Todd Shapiro
Speaking of Todd Shapiro, he was a fixture on 102.1 the Edge for over a decade as Dean Blundell's sidekick.

Jason Barr
The other member of the longtime three-man booth at 102.1 the Edge was Jason Barrr who is now working mornings with Chris Biggs on 97.7 HTZ-FM.

Roz Weston
Even if you don't listen to Kiss 92.5 you've likely seen the ads for the Roz and Mocha morning show. When Roz isn't on the radio he's moonlighting as co-host of ET Canada.

Mocha Frapp
The other (some say better) half of the Roz and Mocha show on Kiss 92.5 is Mocha Frapp. And no, that's not his real name.

Matt Galloway
The ever-popular Metro Morning show on CBC Radio One is anchored by Matt Galloway who has successfully filled the giant shoes of Andy Barrie.

Stu Jeffries
Stu used to be teamed with Colleen Rusholme but now runs the boom 97.3 morning show on his own.

Colleen Rusholme
Stu's former partner Colleen has also hosted mornings with Humble Howard and now co-hosts mornings with Darrin Laidman on 95.3 Fresh Radio.

"Humble" Howard Glassman
Howard has had morning show stints in this city with Colleen Rusholme and solo, but he's best known as half of Humble and Fred who spent over a decade at 102.1 the Edge.

Fred Patterson
Fred is the other half of Humble and Fred, but did sports on the Pete and Geets show prior to that.

Steve Anthony
Steve's popped up here and there on Toronto morning radio, including time at CFNY co-hosting with the aforementioned Freddie P.

Scot Turner
Speaking of guys who briefly co-hosted mornings with Freddie P on CFNY, Scot, or Skot as he was then known, did so when Humble left for Mix 99.9 in the very early 90s. Scot is now Program Director at 93-5 The Move.

Mike Staffford
Mike has been at 640 for many years now, but he was doing news for the Pete and Geets show in the 80s.

Mike Richards
Mike had a couple of morning radio stints at 1050, once when they were briefly The Team, and most recently when they re-branded as TSN Radio.

Josie Dye
Josie is about to resurface on Toronto morning radio, but she once hosted 102.1 the Edge mornings with Dominik Diamond.

Don Landry
Landy and Stellick held down the morning shift at The Fan 590 for years.

Jeff Lumby
After Don Landy and Gord Stellick were removed as morning show hosts at The Fan 590, Jeff Lumby filled in for a summer before the Andrew Krystal experiment.

Greg Brady
Speaking of The Fan 590 morning shows, Greg Brady co-hosted post-Krystal with Jim Lang until Lang was replaced by Andrew Walker.

Andrew Walker
Andrew co-hosted mornings on The Fan 590 with Greg Brady until they were moved to afternoons to make way for Dean Blundell.

John "Spike" Gallagher
John was a member of the Q Morning Zoo in the 90s and most recently The Happy Gang on Zoomer Radio AM740.

Raina Douris
Raina was working mornings at indie 88 but now anchors the CBC Radio Two morning show now that Tom Power is hosting q.

Who is your favourite Toronto morning radio show host of all-time? Let me know in the comments!

Albert Reda

Tom Rivers on 680 CFTR!

January 11, 2017 @ 11:19 AM

Brian

@torontomike Jungle Jim

— Brian W Coleman (@Brianwcoleman) January 11, 2017
January 11, 2017 @ 11:20 AM

Anonymous

When I was younger I liked Derringer and Mike Richards on The Fan. Derringer and Marsden was good too.

January 11, 2017 @ 11:21 AM

Chris

John Derringer - both at FAN 590 with Pat Marsden, then at Q107 with Maureen Holloway

January 11, 2017 @ 11:22 AM

Topper

@torontomike John Derringer

— Topper Harley (@TopperChefrt256) January 11, 2017
January 11, 2017 @ 11:24 AM

Anonymous

I was a big fan of Humble and Fred on CFNY. 102.1

January 11, 2017 @ 11:42 AM

Derek

An update on Scot Turner. He is now PD at 93-5 The Move.

D

January 11, 2017 @ 11:43 AM

@Derek

I've updated Scot's blurb above. Thanks!

January 11, 2017 @ 11:45 AM

James Edgar

Humble and Fred on CFNY. 102.1 are still my favorites.

I didn't mind Brady and Walker on 590 or Brady and Lang for that matter.

Jesse and Gene were pretty good back in the 80's If i remember correctly (debatable)

And i liked Pete and Geets before H&F

January 11, 2017 @ 12:35 PM

Stephen Lewis

1050 Chum's Jay Nelson was my fave growing up in the 60's so that'll tell you how old I am.
And when CFTR went top 40 in the early 70's they had a great (crazy) morning character - Jim Brady.

January 11, 2017 @ 12:48 PM

The Voice of Reason

Mike, you have to get John Oakley on the podcast. That is a huge omission.

January 11, 2017 @ 1:02 PM

Anonymous

Bobcat on fan590

January 11, 2017 @ 1:08 PM

DuckDuckGoose

Hands down, John Moore blows everyone else out of the water. He is knowledgeable, informed and has a great sense of humour, all of the best qualities for the morning duties.

I used to sit in the car and listen, not wanting to get out and go to work.

January 11, 2017 @ 1:09 PM

Francis Low

A few come to mind over the years: Jay Nelson, Tom Rivers and Wally Crouter.

January 11, 2017 @ 1:32 PM

Daniel

McCowan... his ability, or willingness to go beyond the day to day sports crap and more in depth into Business, politics of sports always engages me

January 11, 2017 @ 2:47 PM

GDB

I always liked Landry and Stellick on the Fan. Humble and Fred back in the day.

January 11, 2017 @ 3:12 PM

Hoss

Always resonated with Jason Barr. Toilet humour, blunt retorts, and weird voice-characters for station promos. I even tolerated Blundell for him.

January 11, 2017 @ 3:32 PM

@The Voice of Reason

It's no omission. I'm just getting started here and I try not to have more than a few invitations floating out there at a time. That makes it easier for me to book one a week.

I'll get to John Oakley. I promise.

January 11, 2017 @ 3:43 PM

Blair H

Agree with those who said Brady and Lange or Brady and Walker. Thought it was the best morning show the Fan ever put together. I stopped listening the very morning Blundell arrived and haven't turned my radio on before 9am since to that station.

January 11, 2017 @ 4:47 PM

dale (Bolton)

Jungle Jay Nelson, Al Boliska, Tom Rivers & best of all Brian Henderson (Henny in the morning).

Overall best DJ ever - Andy Frost

January 11, 2017 @ 5:54 PM

Blind Dave

Toronto: Jesse & Gene, Bob McCown, Scruff, Mike Cooper, John Oakley, and Landry & Stellick.

Hamilton: Jeff Lumby when he was doing mornings on Y95 in the 90's.

Saskatoon: Ramblin' Dave.

I remember John Oakley from his early days on CFOR in Orillia. I doubt he'll want to remember that but I will ask Mike to remind him when they have their convo.

January 11, 2017 @ 8:03 PM

@Blind Dave

I spoke with Jesse and Gene today and they told a story about Jeff Lumby and the Y95 team being all set to take over mornings on Q107 back in '96 only to have the rug pulled out from under them when the west coast bosses hired Jesse and Gene to return to mornings.

Of course, Howard Stern came along 8 months later and Jesse and Gene were fired once more.

January 11, 2017 @ 8:07 PM

Greg

Humble and Fred in the 90's and Andy Barrie/Matt Galloway on CBC more recently. And John Majhor on 1050 chum (although he only had the morning show gig for a few months in 1985-86.)

January 11, 2017 @ 9:09 PM

Chumbug

Speaking of 1050 CHUM Roger started full time mornings there in 1982 a few years before moving straight into the RRM thing. (Just with Rick at first.)

January 11, 2017 @ 9:26 PM

Justin

Brady and Walker was the best morning show the FAN's had over the last 20 years, and it's a shame they blew that up when they moved T&S to TV.

With the exception of Indie 88 and Jazz FM occasionally, I haven't listened to FM music radio in years. If I want music, I go to Spotify, Google Play Music, 8tracks, or TuneIn.

January 11, 2017 @ 11:48 PM

Cheryl

Pete Griffin as well as Scruff Connors and then Cliff Dumas when there was CISS 92.5 when it was a country station playing a mix of rock and country and calling it new country.

January 12, 2017 @ 7:09 AM

Beatts

I worked with John Oakley's brother Ed for years (He's a structural engineer). A very nice, very quiet man. Spoke in such a such slow tone we would tease him that his brother never gave him a word edge wise growing up. Such a contrast.

Looking at that list made me realize how much I didn't like morning radio. I always hated the hokey DJ voice and dumb skits. I guess I was an afternoon shift kind of guy.

I did love Maureen Holloway on the last word with Derringer, but I caught her show with Darrin Lamb this morning on CHFI and had to turn it. I had flashbacks of hokey DJ voice every time he talked.

Never cared for Derringer much either to be honest but I liked the playlist on the Q so I stuck with him. I would rather listen to Joanne Wilder though then Derringer.

January 12, 2017 @ 8:54 AM

Weird Kid

I was a weird kid. I liked listening to John Gilbert.

January 12, 2017 @ 12:50 PM

Miker

Toronto Mike if you convince Oakley, who we call "Johnny Tight-Lips" for a reason, to do a podcast I will buy you a case of whatever craft beer the Mimico hipster bicyclists are drinking these days!

January 12, 2017 @ 1:48 PM

@Miker

You're going to have to do better than that! I'm fully stocked with Great Lakes Brewery craft beer!

I haven't asked Johnny Tight-Lips yet, but I do love a challenge!

January 12, 2017 @ 1:55 PM

Rick C in Oakville

I have bounced around morning shows over the years. Jungle Jay in the 60's only because my mom always had it on. Tom Rivers on CFTR.
Scruff Connors, Jesse and Gene, and then probably listened to Humble and Fred the longest of them all.
Now a days it's bouncing between John Moore, and Matt Galloway and listen to Humble and Freds Podcast when I am driving for work or travelling. I am just getting old I guess, as music on the radio just isn't my thing anymore.
Don't mind John Oakley in the drive home slot, not very enamored with the Rush on Newstalk 1010, too scripted and predictable

January 12, 2017 @ 9:39 PM

jai

The best morning show ever...Jim Brady FOLLOWED BY SHOT GUN TOM RIVERS ALL ON CFTR 680
BEST AFTERNOON DRIVE MIKE COOPER ALSO ON CFTR... 680.....

January 13, 2017 @ 2:41 AM

Reggie

Agree with the above comment, Brady and Walker was the best morning show the Fan ever put on. I'm 32 and the show they replaced it with is awful. Never listened to Blundell on the CFNY show but I gave it a few days and was gone, never to return. I can't be the only one. It's so bad.

January 13, 2017 @ 8:30 AM

Brian

Stafford! Not sure why AM640 didn't move him to mornings when they moved Oakley

January 13, 2017 @ 1:25 PM

@Brian

I'm pretty sure (I have to revisit my episode with him) Stafford doesn't want to work mornings.

January 13, 2017 @ 1:26 PM

John Fullerton

Use to listen to Roger Ashby but for the past 7-8 years my favorite is Howard Stern on Sirius Channel 100

My opinion no one is better

January 13, 2017 @ 2:23 PM

Gary

John Landecker on CFTR. Brief stay, completely forgotten, but my absolute favourite. His Trivial Pursuit bit remained as a cornerstone of the Tom Rivers show that pushed him out.

January 14, 2017 @ 12:52 AM

stephen

I always have a radio on.....

Started back in high school, choices, Jim Brady (CFTR) or Jay Nelson (1050 CHUM).
After school is was Mike Cooper on 'TR.
Then I hooked on to Pete n Geets when they were on CHUM FM.
Early 80's, my university years, I was a DJ on our school station, it was fun.
It's also when I first heard Howard Stern, on WWDC, he was hilarious, then. Today, not so much.
Returning to Toronto after university, mornings were difficult, choices: Tom Rivers at CFTR; Pete n Geets at CFNY; or Scruff at Q. Then there was Brother Jake. Scruff became my favourite on air personality, loads of character, I always listened while he was at Htz.

When I got out of university I wanted to be a DJ so bad, landed 2 radio jobs, one in Oshawa on CKAR; then out to St Catharines on CKSC. It was cool and fun, and the pay was horrendous but I was in radio biz. Then the opportunity of a lifetime, a non-radio job, 30 years later, still doing it and still loving both the job and radio.

Toronto radio today absolutely sucks!
Morning shows suck; afternoon drive sucks. Evenings suck. Rogers, Bell, Corus, NewCap, all suck!
CRTC dropped the ball when they gave go-ahead for companies to own multiple stations in same markets. CRTC enabled bigcorps to kill local radio, all in the pursuit of profit.

I happily pay for SiriusXM, ...... chew on that Rogers, Bell, Corus, NewCap,....

January 15, 2017 @ 9:53 PM

Mr X

Fun fact. I went on two dates with Josie Dye back in the mid '00s after meeting her at a bar on the Esplanade and not having a clue who she was.

After date two she proceeded to rip into me and our date the next morning on her show.

The end.

January 16, 2017 @ 7:23 PM

Mr Y

Scott Fox when he had Dave Blezard was overlooked and funny.

January 21, 2017 @ 10:35 PM