86 Individual MP3s from the 4 Hour Hip Covers Show by Strombo

On New Year's Day, Strombo shared four hours of Tragically Hip covers via his show on CBC Radio 2. I shared an MP3 of all four hours the next day.

Yesterday, Kevin Archibald left a comment on that entry.

What's better than a single, 4 hour MP3?

How about it broken into songs and tracks? 86 MP3s in all for your enjoyment.

That offer was too good to resist, so I downloaded the zip file and found 86 MP3s that I've been enjoying ever since. This really is incredible.

I tweeted about this several times yesterday, but thought I'd give it a little more exposure in the hopes you'll enjoy this as much as I do.

Happy Hip Fan

Was going to do this myself, just saved me a pile of time. Thanks Kevin, and thanks Mike for sharing

January 7, 2017 @ 12:10 PM

The Voice of Reason

There is a reason that "The Hip" never really made an international splash. They owe their career to CANCON.

January 7, 2017 @ 3:46 PM

@The Voice of Reason

You're right The Voice of Reason, the Hip owe everything to Cancon. Without Cancon, we wouldn't have all been brainwashed into selling out so many arena dates across the country over and over and over again.

Heck, I alone have bought tickets to see them at least 12 times. Dan Canco got me again!!!

January 7, 2017 @ 3:56 PM

The Voice of Reason

@Mike

You have been to Europe and beyond, what do your foreign friends think of "The Hip"? I am not a fan of the Bare Naked Ladies either, but the ladies made a dent on an international scale and do not have to rely on continuous Canadian tours to pay the bills. I found it quite sad that "The Hip" had to use Gord Downies illness for their largest payday.

January 7, 2017 @ 4:26 PM

@The Voice of Reason

Perhaps what you're really trying to say is "I don't particularly care for The Tragically Hip".

As for your other thoughts on the matter, I could not disagree more. I encourage you to continue not listening to The Tragically Hip.

January 7, 2017 @ 4:30 PM

The Voice of Reason

@Mike

Nothing wrong with "The Hip" just not a fan like the rest of the music consuming world. I don't wish any negatives on them, but you must admit yourself, this past summers tour capitalized on Downies illness for profit. As a socialist, I am surprised that you support that kind of promotion.

January 7, 2017 @ 4:34 PM

@The Voice of Reason

It's ironic how difficult it is to reason with "The Voice of Reason".

Seacrest out!

January 7, 2017 @ 5:22 PM

Jody Thornton

@Voice of Reason

I think in the case of the Hip, CanCon only benefited them in the early days on AOR and college stations. Honestly, I don't recall CKOC or CFTR playing "... High Dough" or "New Orleans...", at least not a huge amount on CHR. And in later years, I think the Hip's fame in this country made so that radio programmer and music director types were GLAD that that the Hip were CanCon, so that it would use up some availabilities by playing solid acts. Kinda like Nickelback or Celine Dion, or as you mentioned the "Ladies". When the CanCon regs can allow for more solid acts, I think radio is happier.

Since arenas were filled by Hip fans well before Gord's illness was made public, how can you say that their success was exploited by it? The fans would have came anyways.

Secondly, is this not then a case study as to where CanCon actually "worked"? It made superstars of an act and allowed them success and financial stability IN THEIR OWN COUNTRY. Why is that not a good thing?

January 7, 2017 @ 7:27 PM

Dusty

@The Voice of Reason: Pissed off that your favorite indie band didn't make it like The Tragically Hip did? Maybe you should start getting pissy with the CRTC and tell them to start re-regulating radio like they used to so that your favorite band can get radio airplay and be popular.

January 9, 2017 @ 10:33 AM

Douglas

In January and February 1988, I was in Australia for a number of weeks. Imagine my surprise when I walked into my first Brashes store (pretty much the Aussie "Sam the Record Man" back then; gone the way of Sam, too, unfortunately) and saw on the entry door display rack a newly-familiar blue background with five guys' black and white images album cover. Yes, The Tragically Hip. I don't know the story, but I kept seeing that first release in cities across Oz. I knew who the Hip were, and couldn't help but feel some Canadian pride on seeing the album clear across the world. I don't know how much, if any, further exposure the Hip got in Oz, but I know that I have at least one mate there who likes them and has introduced to me some essential Aussie rock bands.

January 9, 2017 @ 12:39 PM

James Edgar

@Voice of Reason

You are correct that they have not made much of a splash outside of Canada and the US Border states.

I realize from what you post that not being stars outside Canada kills any legitimacy for you and that makes me kind of sad. I hate it when Canadians only get behind canadians once they get noticed outside the country.

I guess you love Nickleback.

My perspective is this, while probably not Canada's best band ( I'm voting Rush at the moment) They are probably the best Canadian band. Far too much Cancon IN the music to make them interesting outside the GWN.

And yes they no doubt benefitted from Cancon rules. And have been huge supporters of canadian music throughout their career. So I'm ok if they got a start that way i think they have paid it forward quite a bit.

January 9, 2017 @ 2:16 PM

Jill

@TVOR:

Cancon is awesome, maybe not perfect but I for one appreciate it.

As someone whose country has its own music (Trinidadian, soca music) I WISH we regulated the airplay of our music in the way that Canada does. Musicians can do what they want with their music, Gord and the rest of the band decided they would give fans one more time to enjoy them. Not a day goes by that I wish jacksoul didn't have the chance to tour once more before their lead singer died - they're a Cancon success story here within Canada too.

Hell, I don't even like them or listen to them but don't dismiss them just because of Cancon. Even IF they use his illness for profit, I am sure they didn't force him to do so - he has a family he's leaving behind maybe he wants to ensure their financial security?

January 9, 2017 @ 3:19 PM

The Voice of Reason

@James

Not sure how they "paid it forward". I cannot image Gord Downie pulling a Gene Simmons and financing a demo like Gene did for Van Halen. The fact is that they were/are mediocre but capitalized on a government rule for airplay. I find it odd that we keep wanting less government in our lives, but pick and choose what we feel are good rules for Canadians.

The CBC used "The Hip" this summer. I just hope for the remaining of the band that they made enough off the tour, as there playing careers professionally are pretty much over.

For anyone else out there, here are five Canadian bands that would rank above "The Hip".
RUSH
THE BAND
ARCADE FIRE
SUM 41
BNL

I realize that the to five could be debated, the fact that "The Hip" are not top 5 cannot be.

January 9, 2017 @ 4:23 PM

mrmojorisinca

@VOR

sorry is that 5 band list your opinion or did you get it somewhere?
Rush and the Band are classic rock, Arcade Fire are an acquired taste to say the least and the other come on now, you can't be serious.

The Hip are tops on most people lists who listen to that type of music here in Canada..

Sum41 really? shameful post

and to try and say they capitalized on Gord situation..
if you were sick in some way, I can almost guarantee you would want some sort of normalcy and for Gord and the band normalcy is going out on the road. As for the CBC, maybe just maybe Gord had a good idea he can use them for exposure for his disease and more so probably for bring the work he is doing for native communities?

Until you can walk in his shoes how about you save your typing skills.

sum41, hilarious.

January 10, 2017 @ 4:16 PM

The Voice of Reason

@mrmojorisinca

What work is Downie actually doing for the native community? He wrote a novel and donated some of the proceeds to the U of M. Stephen Harper offered a full apology in 2008 on behalf of all Canadians. The residential schools are a sad point of history period for our country, Harper said what should have been said many years ago.
Downie is trying to leave a legacy but will be forgotten over time.

January 11, 2017 @ 1:28 PM

mrmojorisinca

he bringing what is happening there to the news when the news wasn't talking about to say the least.
Forgotten, where in the US sure or where ever it is you live under a rock, here in Canada Gord and the Hip never be forgotten.

January 11, 2017 @ 3:59 PM

James Edgar

I was thinking about this and remembered something i saw on Alan cross's site.

First VOR's list . Rush and the band are worthy members of a top ten Canadian band list For sure the rest No i don't think so but of course that's my opinion.

RUSH
THE BAND
ARCADE FIRE
SUM 41
BNL

But's there's an interesting fact about this list. The Hip have outsold all of them in Canada. And that was before the last tour and the diagnosis which probably (no FOR SURE) padded the sales numbers.

Here's the info i based that on. http://www.the10and3.com/the-tragically-hip-are-canadas-most-successful-band-ever/

And as all are Canadian all have had the same benefits from cancon rules so that argument is useless..

January 13, 2017 @ 12:03 PM

The Voice of Reason

@James

I suppose success can be defined in several different ways. In the music industry success is defined in dollars. Most would want Steven Page's bank account over Gord Downies if it came down to a choice between the two.

As for "The Hip" being the top selling band IN CANADA, that would be on par with being the smartest guy in special ed. Being a success in Canada only does not pay the bills in the long run.

January 13, 2017 @ 12:57 PM

@The Voice of Reason

What's the point of this "your favourite band sucks" schtick?

January 13, 2017 @ 12:59 PM

The Voice of Reason

Mike, not trying to dispute The Hip and their legacy. Like I stated earlier, I just feel it was poor taste for both the band and CBC profiting from Downies illness.
David Bowie was terminally ill for months prior to his passing, he chose not to profit and not to seek accolades from others. He died quietly with his family being the only people that were aware of his situation. Class versus crass in many ways.

January 13, 2017 @ 1:20 PM

@The Voice of Reason

That's your opinion, and I disagree completely.

January 13, 2017 @ 1:23 PM

The Voice of Reason

Mike, that is the great thing about Canada, we can agree to disagree.

Question though.

On a professional athletes retirement, do you prefer the humble retirement such as Peyton Manning, or the retirement tour such as "Big Papi" David Ortiz? Follow up question, why did you lean one way vs the other?

January 13, 2017 @ 2:05 PM

@The Voice of Reason

It's not the same thing.

The Tragically Hip went on the road one last time while Gord was still able. I'm so grateful I got the opportunity to say goodbye at the ACC and am so glad I got to see their last show from Kingston on television.

Thank you Gord, thank you Hip and thank you CBC.

January 13, 2017 @ 2:15 PM

The Voice of Reason

Mike, I watched a portion of the CBC broadcast, I also had an opportunity to see "The Hip" in 1989 at the Molson Canadian beer tent for free at the EX. This was during their heyday ala "New Orleans is Sinking". The song was catchy, but not great. The crowd was not giving the band much attention and their were plenty of empty seats. Downie had good stage presence and put a show on as if their were 20,000 people watching. He stood out among the rest of the band.
Fast forward a few years. A friend was visiting while attending Brown. We were at a house party and Murray asks to throw a cassette of "Fully Completely" in. Lets just say that no new fans were made that night in Rhode Island. I admire the pose and the dignity that Downie has shown over the past few months. As a person, I am sure he is a good guy trying his best to support his family and this summers tour likely assisted in a big way. I feel like he should have discussed the topic during his Peter Mansbridge interview.
I am a fan of the CBC as well Mike, I just feel that the network should not be relying on the tax payer as much as it does. They produce quality programming and they should be able to sustain itself with advertising and other forms of revenue generation.

January 13, 2017 @ 3:36 PM