Open Mike

Welcome to this week's Open Mike. I'm Mike and I'll be your master of ceremonies for the day.

Open Mike on Toronto Mike

Cheryl

Well, I'm first today, goody. My Habs won last night. Carey Price got into a fight though. That's not good. My Coyotes lost though. Anyway, basketball night tonight. Cavs, Nets and Suns will win. Anyway, nothing new on the work front. I keep getting messages saying to hang in there. Anyway, I don't know when I will have work. Thing is if they would have done their jobs like tested Jaws with the new software before rolling it out, then I would still be working. Anyway, I'm not working now. It really sucks. Knees aren't too bad at least not now, but who knows when my knee will get bad again, Anyway, remember to say happy birthday to me. My birthday is on Monday. I want lots of birthday wishes.

December 9, 2016 @ 8:37 AM

The Voice of Reason

Shame on Toronto Media for not promoting the MLS Cup. This may be the best chance in the next 50 years to win a championship outside of the CFL.
I know it is still not a "major league" despite the leagues name, but come on media there should be more excitement about this event.

December 9, 2016 @ 8:42 AM

Rick2

Have a happy birthday Cheryl !

December 9, 2016 @ 9:18 AM

Rob J

What network TV shows do you guys (and Cheryl) watch? Just a few years ago I'd DVR 2-4 shows a day that I'd hate to miss. But now, the idea that someone would sit for an hour to watch something like NCIS seems ludicrous. What are people's must-watch shows. Aside from Mod Fam, I don't have any!

December 9, 2016 @ 9:32 AM

Daniel

@The Voice of Reason

Thats the tail wagging the dog. Media will cover what fans are interested in, not the other way around.

If anything I've seen too much MLS coverage for my taste. Champions league group stages just finished up 2 days ago, and the Liverpool vs Bournemouth might have been one of the best soccer games in the past decade. Also Zlatans goal last week, if you can find it its worth a look

December 9, 2016 @ 9:35 AM

Happy birthday Cheryl!

@Rob J

I recently finished The Crown and am now watching Narcos. I'm not watching anything on network television, although my wife watches This is Us and enjoys it.

December 9, 2016 @ 9:52 AM

DUTCH

@Rob J

My wife DVRS all those flipping shows on HGTV lol. Me not so much but I have been watching Black Mirror on Netflix. Have a great Monday Cheryl!

December 9, 2016 @ 10:24 AM

The Voice of Reason

Happy Birthday Cheryl.

Maybe Mike could have you on his podcast as a special birthday present.

December 9, 2016 @ 10:57 AM

@Cheryl

Don't worry Cheryl, @The Voice of Reason is just kidding about the podcast. You do not have to appear on any podcast, I promise.

December 9, 2016 @ 10:58 AM

James Edgar

Happy Birthday Cheryl!

I just finished Luke Cage and the last season available of Archer. Must see? Probably not but lately I've been wanting pretty light stuff.

December 9, 2016 @ 11:17 AM

Ryan G

@Rob J

Like Mike. aside from sports I don't watch any network television. But, curiousity got the best of me recently. One of the greatest horror films of all time - The Exorcist, was turned into a tv series on one of the mainstream networks.

Fans of Friedkin's original will agree that this was totally unnecessary and completely a cash grab. Simply put, you cannot out Exorcist The Exorcist. Having said that, the producers tried their best and it did have some creepy and clever moments, but I think the limits of network television were too constraining for the content. It's like giving Deliverance the Saturday morning cartoon treatment.

December 9, 2016 @ 11:49 AM

GUNTer

Have a great birthday on Monday Cheryl. Hope your teams win some for you.

December 9, 2016 @ 12:50 PM

Douglas

Geez...leave the office for two hours and you never know what will happen! I had to go pick up some parts for the work that is being done on my car this weekend. Unfortunately, it was just west of the Toronto airport. I figured a two hour round trip from Whitby (I was pretty close). As I was leaving work, my associate, Melissa, who is due to have her third child any day now, said that she might not be here when I get back. A mere fifteen minutes after I left, she had a baby boy, right here in the office. I am so glad that Melissa's new son and she are well, and for the amazing ladies in our office who were there to help her. Life. Wow.

December 9, 2016 @ 4:20 PM

John M.

@Rob J

I have three dramatic shows I never miss:
1) Elementary
2) Blue Bloods
3) Vikings

@Daniel

As a Liverpool fan, I must disagree with you about that match last Sunday. I thought it was a horrible match. Now their match in Dortmund last April, THAT was great soccer!

December 9, 2016 @ 5:49 PM

Jillian

Did anyone hear what happened in court today with Mike Bullard?

December 9, 2016 @ 5:57 PM

dale (Bolton)

My Friday thoughts:

36 years ago yesterday John Lennon died - RIP John. IMAGINE if you were still alive today the music ?
Kirk Douglas - Happy 100th birthday to a great actor
John Glenn RIP as 1st to orbit the earth & did it again as oldest astronaut years ago, also a U.S Senator for many years.
MLS final game tomorrow will be unbelievable in Toronto regardless of outcome. GO TFC.
Peter Holland traded to Coyotes - son knew him throughout school as he lived in Bolton. Great kid in middle school but a bully in high school after being drafted & playing in OHL thinking he was special. Good Luck in the desert (Cheryl's new favorite player?)
Looks like I will be spending all weekend shoveling snow.
Happy birthday Cheryl & have a great day

December 9, 2016 @ 7:48 PM

Cheryl

Thanks for the birthday wishes. I don't watch TV as I am blind. For sports, I listen on the radio internet audio. The radio explains games better. I haven't heard of John Glenn until last night. There was a moment of silence before the Cavs game last night. Anyway, my Cavs won last night again and that's a great thing and my Suns won as well so great basketball night. Oh, I have work again. I got the software installed for the hospital I will be typing for. Thing is that I won't have my training until Tuesday as I am planning to take my birthday off, but my friend was here and he found that he could reinstall the old software and I can still do the old hospital with the old software meaning work this weekend, but I need the money. I already lost almost a week's worth of pay. For my birthday, I am getting a hot stone massage and lunch so that's going to be a great thing. Now hopefully my Habs and Coyotes win tonight.

December 10, 2016 @ 5:42 AM

Jason from Sudbury

Happy birthday Cheryl!

December 10, 2016 @ 6:47 AM

GDB

Happy Birthday Cheryl.

December 10, 2016 @ 8:17 AM

Rick C in Oakville

Happy Birthday Cheryl, your posts are truly appreciated by many! Losing a weeks pay definitely sucks, hope it doesn't hurt your Christmas season.

Tough week for Prime Minister Trudeau after being booed at the Grey Cup, having to give the go ahead on one pipeline, and nix a second, plus take some heat from some of the First Nations on not fulfilling some of his election promises to these communities, along with Cash for Access conflicts with Billionaire Chinese business Oligarchs (I use this loosely) who get approval for their Banks, who then donate to his families Clinton Foundation ( oops Trudeau foundation), and of course his adulation for one Fidel Castro ( backed by all Canadians!). Did I miss anything?
The honeymoon is over and the tough road is now ahead.

December 10, 2016 @ 5:10 PM

Rob J

Prediction: the federal Libs win in 2019.

December 10, 2016 @ 11:41 PM

If it's Kelly Leitch

@Rob J ..

If Kelly Leitch is the opposition, the Conservatives will lose in a landslide.

December 11, 2016 @ 12:44 AM

Cheryl

Well, Habs sure won a big one last night. That was awesome and I predict another win on my birthday tomorrow. My Coyotes also won a really good one as well. couldn't ask for anything better. My Cavs also won again. They're winning for me as well, four wins in a row. I just know Cavs will repeat and Habs will win the cup. Today is my birthday eve. Your birthday eve is the day before your birthday. Anyway, so hope I have a good pool day as well. Maybe the Browns will actually win a game today. Anyway, they are predicting snow and I'm worried. I have plans tomorrow and if I can't make it, it will mess things up.

December 11, 2016 @ 4:57 AM

Daniel

@John m

Ok fair enough if you're a red than it was painful to watch. But as a gooner it was a great game to see

December 11, 2016 @ 9:38 AM

elvis

I am gutted.

December 11, 2016 @ 11:58 AM

@elvis

Let's talk about it on our Festivus episode of Toronto Mike'd.

December 11, 2016 @ 12:08 PM

collingwood dave

When your whole season comes down to a left or right guessing game on penalty kicks is exactly why soccer sucks. Just sayin......

December 11, 2016 @ 12:38 PM

Anonymous

Not just the Mike Bullard case but the Blue Jays beer can tosser had a court date this week too. I'm curious what happened there. Anyone hear anything?

December 11, 2016 @ 12:41 PM

Tom

To quote Hope Solo," Seattle played like cowards".

19 - 3 shots for TO, 7-0 shots on target for TO, 10- 1 blocked against TO.

& then like Collie Dave says, u have penalty kicks to decide a Championship. Weak.

December 11, 2016 @ 1:22 PM

Rob J

@TM

Please give your co-host Elvis my best on your "Rob J's birthday" slash "Festivus" edition.

December 11, 2016 @ 6:48 PM

The Voice of Reason

Not a fan of TFC but I watched the game. Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment is not cursed, there management in every one of their sports franchises is flawed.

Who would bench the best player in the league in overtime????

The coach lost this game. Sebastian Giovinco should have never been benched in a CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH.

December 12, 2016 @ 6:57 AM

Cheryl

Well, my birthday is here. My trainer called me and wished me a happy birthday and said I should be fine with my plans to get a hot stone massage and lunch. I just hope the cab will show up on time though. My Suns lost. That sucks. They blew it and lost in overtime. Oh well, Bruins at Habs tonight. That should be a good one with Habs coming up on top because the Price is right. Coyotes also play in Pittsburgh, lots of hockey. Football had some wins for my pool, but the Browns lost again. They never win. Cardinals lost. Oh, my Ravens hopefully will win on my birthday.

December 12, 2016 @ 7:35 AM

@The Voice of Reason

Giovinco asked the coach to take him out because "he couldn't move".

December 12, 2016 @ 8:31 AM

The Voice of Reason

@Mike

if that is the case (and I am not convinced that it is), Giovinco should be cut. I cannot think of another sport where the leagues best player would ask to be pulled from the game with minutes left to play. Could you imagine Sidney Crosby asking to be benched? Maybe Giovinco could use a pep talk from Kirk Gibson.

December 12, 2016 @ 12:05 PM

@The Voice of Reason

Admittedly, I'm new to soccer, but I'm told the Crosby comparison doesn't work. Different culture and all that. Just look at the diving, etc.

I know Giovinco was injured at the end of the second game against Montreal. Maybe he just couldn't run?

December 12, 2016 @ 1:50 PM

twins from bolton

Why don't all snowplows have extensions to clear driveways when plowing the street?
When we lived in TO that was common.
Shoveled last night for over 1 hr to get a head start on today. I'm off work today & everything was fine until 2 minutes before going out & the plow goes by with no clearing driveways. Almost 2 ft. if front of driveway. I drove over it & hopefully it melts before May.

December 12, 2016 @ 2:26 PM

The Voice of Reason

@Mike

Professional players in any sport are defined by the way they perform in big games. Joe Carter, Bobby Baun, Kirk Gibson and Diego Maradona. Not one quit when the championship was on the line. Giovinco could have limped it out to the penalty kicks. He is paid to deliver, he didn't.
Sadly that may be his MLS legacy.

December 12, 2016 @ 3:12 PM

@The Voice of Reason

This is a tough one... the coach said he was hurt. If he was hurt, he's coming off. Tosaint Ricketts was ready to come in.

If he wasn't hurt, it would have been nice to have heard that from him. He wouldn't talk to the press afterwards, and as far as I know, he still hasn't.

I'm operating under the assumption Giovinco was injured and needed to be subbed out.

December 12, 2016 @ 4:41 PM

Rob J

I somewhat retract my screed against TV: just flipped through the channels and an ancient episode of Degrassi was airing, featuring a heartfelt scene between Wheels and his dad at the "Mem'ries Lounge"! When Wheels' dad said "I'll be right back", I felt a stab of emotional pain knowing what was to come.

December 12, 2016 @ 6:44 PM

Degrassi Junior High was the shit.

December 12, 2016 @ 8:33 PM

Cheryl

Well, I made it to my appointment. That was a good thing so it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Anyway, I hate Christmas music. Christmas music really sucks and what happened was the song Chesnuts roasting on an open fire kept playing over and over again. I am telling you if I ever hear that song again, I am going to throw up. I honestly heard it 20 times yesterday. Christmas music is bad enough, but hearing it over and over again is really bad and that stupid song about chesnuts roasting on an open fire is such a stupid song. For one thing, there is no such thing as Jack Frost. He is some made up character. He does not exist. Also Santa is on his way, but Santa is really not on his way because there is no such thing, but otherwise things went really well, nice treat to get a massage and lunch. Sports not so good. That was close, but my Habs lost in overtime. They should have won, but they got a point. Rask is really a good goalie as well so somehow Price lost, but Price is still a great goalie. Coyotes lost big. They got clobbered. My Ravens lost. That is not good. Also my Nets lost so no wins on my birthday.

December 13, 2016 @ 7:05 AM

@Cheryl

Just remember this about Santa... there is a symbolism there that is very sweet and innocent. Many a child believes in this magic, and it's not for us to shatter this.

So in these comments, I'll just say this....

Yes Cheryl, there is a Santa Claus.

December 13, 2016 @ 10:24 AM

The Voice of Reason

@Mike

TSN just reported that Giovinco pulled himself because of cramps. He feels the cramps are due to the Argos playing at BMO field.
Lets face it, he quit on his team.

December 13, 2016 @ 6:22 PM

@The Voice of Reason

Or, he had cramps and couldn't run.

December 13, 2016 @ 6:31 PM

The Voice of Reason

@Mike

He re-hydrates and continues, it has happened to all of us who have pushed themselves.
How would the Argos have anything to do with his cramps???

December 13, 2016 @ 6:34 PM

chris

@The Voice Of Reason & Mike

Cramps in his legs or in his stomach & had to spend time in washroom?
A quitter IMO.

December 13, 2016 @ 6:38 PM

It's simple.

You've both decided he's a liar, and I'm going to give this guy I don't know the benefit of the doubt.

December 13, 2016 @ 6:47 PM

The Voice of Reason

@Chris

He had cramps, but did not have to go to the washroom. He sat down and was not re-hydrating. The best player quit on his team.

December 13, 2016 @ 6:47 PM

The Voice of Reason

@Mike

I think he was looking for an excuse, I would not brand him a liar though. He just lacks that championship heart. That is likely why Italy did not name him to the National team last summer.

December 13, 2016 @ 6:49 PM

Rob J

TM, just get TVOR to "compile a list" (his words) of the possible scenarios and let McNulty settle it.

December 13, 2016 @ 7:20 PM

GUNTer

@Cheryl
sometimes in life you just have to enjoy a song and realize the lyrics may not be actual real life true stories. here are some examples from your pal bob seger.....

Night Moves - "We weren't searchin' for some pie in the sky summit" (there is no 'pie in the sky' summit. never. anywhere. but it sure sounds great in this tune)

Turn the Page - "You can listen to the engine Moanin' out his one note song" (no engine actually sings a song. never. not possible. but damn what a great thought and interesting notion)

Like a Rock - "I was eighteen Didn't have a care Working for peanuts" (no one works for peanuts, except maybe poor circus elephants. but it sure puts an idea in your head of what bob is singing about)

santa and frosty are the same. you just have to forget about reality and enjoy the song. kids love that kind of fantasy and its for no one except their parents to tell them otherwise.

having said all of that I fucking hate Christmas songs too - but I just hate most things Christmas except days off work.

glad you enjoyed your birthday.

December 13, 2016 @ 7:24 PM

Cheryl

Well, I don't believe there is any Santa Claus. I really don't like Christmas. Bob Seger's songs are great. They really are so comparing Bob Seger to that chesnuts song is just no comparison. How about those Cavs. That was a great game even though they rested Kyrie Irving. That was a great win and they are going to repeat this season. My Suns won as well so that was great and my Coyotes won. It was all good last night in sports.

December 14, 2016 @ 6:22 AM

Rob J

TM,
Try to avoid getting 'hot-legs' during this wintry time of cycling...

December 14, 2016 @ 1:36 PM

@Rob J

I actually invested in a new pair of thermal underwear. Only my toes are currently frozen!

December 14, 2016 @ 1:51 PM

Rob J

Sad to admit bailed on my walk half-way-through today...inexcusable.

December 14, 2016 @ 4:40 PM

@Rob J

I did a 28km ride along the lake... easy heading east, pretty tough coming back west. That wind off the lake hit me head on and I had to bike like crazy to go 10 km/h.

December 14, 2016 @ 4:59 PM

Cheryl

Well, my Cavs lost. They actually beat themselves. They decided to rest the three top players, Lebron James, Kyrie Irving and Kevin Love. You do that and it's a loss. They could have just rested one like they still won the last game by resting Kyrie, but they rested all three which was a very dumb decision. Anyway, my Nets did win though so that's great. Anyway, I was supposed to train to type for a new hospital this week, but the person who was supposed to train me said she doesn't know how to train me since I don't use a mouse and use speech software. Anyway, so the only option I have is that she records a training session into an MP4 and I listen to it that way. I am completely on my own and this really sucks. If it doesn't work, then I am out of a job. I don't know what to do then.

December 15, 2016 @ 5:36 AM

Sid_V

Confusing week. Giovinco had a problem while listening to The Cramps during an Argos game? https://youtu.be/rb1bTiu4fW4

And Trump and Kanye are meeting to discuss a cabinet post, or possibly a duet?

December 15, 2016 @ 7:02 PM

Cheryl

Well, no open Mike for this week. I can't find it. Anyway, kind of late. I had stuff to do. I had someone try to explain why the new hospital I am supposed to be working for doesn't work for me and of course, there is something that Jaws can't read so the team lead is going to try and find a work around, but who knows if that will be possible or not. Anyway, I had another late birthday celebration, went out for lunch and just had a good time. I got a neat late birthday gift, a thing to talk to. It will play music, tell me the time, weather, sports scores, anything, has an alarm, timer, lots of stuff, it's great. Anyway, so my Coyotes won last night. That was great, but my Suns lost another one, not so great. Anyway, so hopefully my Nets and Habs will win tonight.

December 16, 2016 @ 6:31 PM