George Michael, Dead at 53

George MichaelGeorge Michael was 53. He was the pop singer who launched his career with Wham! in the 1980s and continued his success as a solo performer.

On a personal note, this one strikes me square in the nostalgia bone. I owned Wham!'s Make It Big on cassette and loved it. I've written not once but twice about the role Careless Whisper played in my primary school life.

Just two days ago, while recording the 209th episode of Toronto Mike'd, I reminiced about Wham! and George Michael's Faith album after playing Last Christmas.

george

Cheryl

Well, he sure wasn't that old. I wasn't really a fan of his though, but he sure wasn't that old.

December 26, 2016 @ 7:33 AM

Rob J

Ricky Gervais' "Extras" season 2 featured a mere 6 episodes and an Xmas special. Two of the guest stars were David Bowie ("see his pug-nosed face") and George Michael. Unreal.

December 26, 2016 @ 10:04 AM

@Rob J

A couple of days before Bowie passed, I had Emm Gryner on and she spoke extensively about David Bowie.

Then a couple of days before George Michael's surprising death, Elvis and I spoke about him.

Coincidence, most definitely, but I believe these are the only episodes in which I spoke about Bowie and Michael prior to their deaths.

December 26, 2016 @ 10:10 AM

Sandra

This is sad on many levels. I must have watched the Father figure video 100x as Much used to have it on heavy rotation along with Michael Jackson 's Man in the mirror. Whenever I hear those two songs it's 1988 again.

December 26, 2016 @ 10:27 AM

@Sandra

Yes! MuchMusic played so much from George Michael's Faith. I would listen to Faith on cassette when I walked to school and back.

December 26, 2016 @ 10:29 AM

Rob J

TM,

I beseech you to never mention Stevie Nicks. Like, if there's a terrible Landslide, ignore it. If you see a White Winged Dove, look away. If one of your kids is on the Edge of Seventeen, keep it to yourself.

December 26, 2016 @ 12:22 PM

@Rob J

I love Stevie Nicks, but that gal snorted an awful lot of coke. Between that, the anxiety meds she was addicted to and her drinking, it won't be my fault if she bows out in her late 60s.

Here's hoping she beats the odds.

December 26, 2016 @ 4:22 PM

Brandon

Audio of former MuchMusic VJ Michael Williams discussing George Michael with 1010 fill-in host Bill Hayes (brother of John Derringer) today - runs about 10 minutes:

Here

December 26, 2016 @ 4:47 PM

@Brandon

Thanks for sharing that.

Michael Williams is coming on Toronto Mike'd in 2017.

Bill Hayes, coincidentally, came up in episode 209.

December 26, 2016 @ 5:11 PM

Rob J

Getting chills reading about the millions of British pounds G. Michael gave to charities, especially geared towards children. He left an amazing legacy, even outside of his music.

December 26, 2016 @ 7:00 PM

andrew

His voice was like Freddie Mercuries.
Not a fan of his music with WHAM or on his own.
Rock in Roll Heaven must be singin' up a storm with those lost in 2016.
RIP GM

December 26, 2016 @ 10:02 PM

Jody Thornton

Unfortunately, Carrie Fisher is now added to the list. :(
I agree that George Michael was a hard one to hear about.

December 27, 2016 @ 1:25 PM

Sandra

@TM
"Michael Williams is coming on Toronto Mike'd in 2017."

Nice!!!

Please ask him to talk a bit about his experience touring Paisley Park. Thx.

December 27, 2016 @ 2:26 PM