Alan Thicke, Dead at 69

Alan ThickeAlan Thicke was 69. He was the Canadian actor, songwriter, and game and talk show host best known for his role as Jason Seaver on Growing Pains.

I actually spent some time with Alan about five years ago. I wanted to talk about how he composed the themes to Diff'rent Strokes and The Facts of Life and he wanted to talk about his son Robin's music career.

thicke

Rick C in Oakville

Read he had a heart attack while playing hockey with his 19 year old son Carter. How Canadian is that.
RIP

December 13, 2016 @ 9:57 PM

McNulty

He was awesome on How I Met Your Mother.

December 13, 2016 @ 11:19 PM

jimmy cauchon

if you're looking for real good insight on Thicke incl. his love of hockey, and still playing in celeb games, You Tube Rich Eisen piece with him A WEEK AGO...https://youtu.be/FOy43YGLQ8o

December 13, 2016 @ 11:22 PM

The Voice of Reason

How original Mcnulty.

December 14, 2016 @ 7:46 AM

Handsome Rob

Can we get a little more info on the 5 year ago meeting? That wasn't for a podcast, too soon for that. Was it just a random meeting?

December 14, 2016 @ 12:56 PM

Douglas

I forget the exact details, but Alan Thicke being in the photo above was not a coincidence. Gretzky was dating Canadian singer Vikki/VIckie Moss, brother of now-longtime Oilers dressing room man Joey Moss. Moss, if you recall, lives with Down Syndrome. There was a feature a few years back on how Gretzky changed not just Joey Moss' life, but the lives of all of the Moss family. The detail I am missing is how Thicke is connected. I think, but am not sure (and I'm going to dig it up) that Thicke was somehow connected to the Moss family. If anyone has the facts or the time to get them, please do.

December 14, 2016 @ 2:02 PM

@Douglas

They're definitely connected: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/superfan-alan-thicke-wanye-gretzky-trade-hockey-montreal/

Wayne was babysitting Robin Thicke when he was traded to the Kings.

December 14, 2016 @ 2:05 PM

Douglas

Whoops. That should have been "not" going to dig it up. Lunch is over.

December 14, 2016 @ 2:08 PM

@Handsome Rob

This was right after we launched the Humble and Fred podcast. I'm going to guess late-October 2011. It's about 8 months before I started my podcast.

I was doing some web work for an American company and this same company hired Alan Thicke to be their spokesperson. So they flew Alan to Etobicoke and filmed him in the same studio where Humble and Fred were recording. I was hanging around during the first couple of weeks of the podcast, and meeting with the US company that hired Alan.

Alan was incredibly humble and kind. He was literally swapping recipes with people and I remember how proud he was of his son Robin. This was before Blurred Lines, so I didn't actually know a Robin Thicke song, but he was starting to get some attention.

December 14, 2016 @ 2:14 PM

Blind Dave

RIP, Alan.

I enjoyed his work. I'm glad to hear he was a great guy, too.

December 14, 2016 @ 7:27 PM